0 comments

Fiction Fantasy

Arec was a simple young boy. He wished to be accepted by his people. His family and “loved ones” that he truly believed loved him in return. His only issue, Arec was a “mutt”. A child of both peace and chaos or in simpler terms, the Timelin’s version of an angel and demon. He was not accepted in either the realm of peace, the second realm, or the realm of chaos, the fourth realm. He was castaway left to die alone.

It was never his fault. Arec had tried everything to be accepted. He tried cutting off his magnificent feathered wings. He tried shattering his halo. The children of chaos were not impressed. His halo could not be shatter and his wings simply grew back weaker, so he tried the children of peace. He cut his horns off and his tail. The children of peace were not impressed. His tail grew back and so did his horns that grew into tiny little points. No one would take him. The mortals in the first realm feared him. The third realm proved too dangerous. The fifth realm cast him out on pain of death. Goldshem didn’t want a mutt.

So here he sits watching the busy streets of the first realm below. His small weak scarred wings lay helplessly behind him. His tiny black horns poked out of his dark hair. His pathetic scarred tail dangled off the edge. His halo glowed bright gold as it floated above his head. His deep red eyes spilling tears down his pale cheeks.

What more could little pathetic Arec do? He was only three hundred-sixty-seven. Just a youngling. No one wanted him, and no one needed him. Who could ever love a mutt?

“Psst.”

He jumped glancing wildly towards the voice.

“Over here,” a little girl whispered. Her dark hair fell in front of her face. She was tiny. He could see her skinny frame and sunken eyes. “You look hungry.”

“I-“

“My daddy makes cheese sometimes,” she said softly moving a little closer. “Here you go.”

She offered him a piece of cheese wrapped in a simple handkerchief.

“Thank you.” He took it gratefully.

She nodded. “My name’s Asha.”

“Arec,” he said softly.

She grinned. “Nice to meet you Arec.”


~      ~       ~


He waited patiently. His tail flicked in anticipation for Asha. He’d brought her a gift. The limp body of the rabbit sat next to him. They’d feast today.

“Arec?” her soft voice called.

“Asha!”

He couldn’t contain his excitement. He bound forward.

“Look, look!” He held up the rabbit triumphantly.

“A rabbit?!” she cried taking it from him. “Just for us?”

He nodded enthusiastically. A grin plastered on his face.

“Oh, Arec!”

She flew her arms around him. He paused surprised. He’d never felt affection like this before.

“We need to go show daddy and mama and my brothers! Come on.” She pulled on his hand.

“I-I don’t know,” he said sheepishly. “What if they don’t like me?”

“Nonsense. Mama and daddy are the most accepting people ever. Come on, Arec.”

He followed her through the twisting maze of their building. It’d been abandoned a long, long time ago. You had to be careful or else you’d step on the wrong board and go tumbling down to the earth below.

“Asha? Is this truly a good idea?” he asked, his voice almost a whisper. Anxiety clawed at his insides.

“Of course, it is! Mama is the high priestess and daddy helps her keep the blessed ones in control.” She pushed her hair out of her eyes, and he saw them. Beautiful, stunning pale blue eyes. She grinned back at him. “Hurry up, Arec!”

Blue eyes. Blues eyes. Blues eyes…

Why did they look slightly familiar?

“Stop worrying Arec. We’re almost home.”

She tore off running out of the building. He followed silently. He felt exposed out in the open. He kept glancing over his back waiting for someone to scream “It’s a mutt!” and “Kill it!” and then there’d be mob of people with pitchforks. “Kill the monster!” they’d screamed. He shivered at his own memory.

She led him up the steps of the small temple. He almost started shaking from freight.

“Mama!” Asha called. “Daddy!”

A tall man moved out of an opening that Arec could only have assumed lead to a room. His dark hair was a mess. Dark circles surrounded his pale grey eyes. His skin tanned from days spent in the fields. Large scarred calloused hands lay still at his sides. Like his daughter, he was thin, maybe even thinner than her.

“Asha!” He sounded so relieved.

She ran into his open arms.

“Where did you go? What did I tell you about leaving at night,” he scolded.

He noticed Arec. He shot up placing Asha behind himself protectively. Of course, he was scared.

“Daddy,” Asha said moving past him, “this is Arec. My friend.”

Her father blinked staring at Arec who hid slightly behind Asha though his wings made him so much bigger.

“He brought us a rabbit!”

She held up the limp rabbit like it was a prize worthy for kings. Her father took it and held it carefully. It looked so pathetic in his hands. Arec wanted to shrink into the shadows until he couldn’t be seen any longer.

“You caught this?” Asha’s father asked addressing him for the first time.

“Y-yessir,” he stammered.

“It’s a perfect kill.”

Arec blinked clearly confused.

“Going for the eyes and mouth, smart idea. Where’d you learn to hunt like this?”

“I-I taught myself, sir,” he said softly. “I learned that if you went for the body there was a higher chance of mauling the meat. By going for the head, you get more in the end and you can use the hides.”

He raised his hand. Oh boy, here it comes. Arec braced for impact. Asha’s father’s hand rested on Arec’s shoulder. He blinked, yet again confused.

“My name’s Daniel,” he said smiling softly at him. “Why don’t you come inside? The boys would love to meet you.”

He blinked. “Thank you, sir.”

“Is mama home?”

“Not yet, Asha,” Daniel said softly as they walked back towards the opening in the wall.

Asha pouted as they continued to talk. After a moment, Arec followed them inside.


~    ~     ~


They’d been kind to Arec. Asha’s little brothers were fascinated with his halo. He showed them how he couldn’t get it to move, even when he tried with all his might. They took turns trying to rip it away from Arec. It was an odd tickly sensation.

“Boys! Supper!” Daniel called.

The smalls boys jumped up. They were the healthiest out of everyone Arec had seen so far. He’d been living with Asha’s family for almost a week now. He helped out with the fields and hunting. He loved it all. The family, the love, the food.

He grinned as he ran off following the boys to the dinner table. He was met by a new face. No, not new. He knew her. The woman was tall and thin. Her long dark hair lay around her shoulders and faded to white at the ends. Her pale blue eyes fixed on Asha as they talked. Her almost bone-white skin reflecting all light away. She wore robes of a perfect mixture of black and white. This was the high priestess, and Arec couldn’t be more afraid. She had hurt him before, what stopped her from doing it again?

“Ah, Arec,” Daniel said, “come sit down. I’d like you to meet my wife, the high priestess Luzia.”

Luzia’s eyes shifted to him. Arec backed away. Her expression hardened.

“You let a monster into our home?” she said her voice rising.

“He isn’t a monster, mama!” Asha cried angerly.

“Luzia, he’s useful. He might show issue, but he’s obedient,” Daniel said calmly. “With a firm hand he could prove very useful.”

No.

“He’s a mutt. A freak and abomination,” Luzia spat. “I’ve dealt with his kind before. I made sure to show it to stay away.”

His hand fell to his side. The scar lingered hidden just under his shirt. The scar she’d given him as a reminder.

“We either kill it, or it leaves.”

“His name is Arec, mama!” Asha cried a festering anger behind his eyes. “You won’t hurt my friend.”

“Daniel.”

Daniel reached down and held his daughter firmly. She struggled against his grip.

“How many of our animals have you stolen, mutt?” Luzia demanded as she drew her swords.

He shook his head. “None. I am not a thief.”

“Lair.”

The first attack was swung. He was slow and couldn’t get away in time. Hot red blood ran down into his eye. He didn’t dare react.

“How many you filthy mutt?” she cried.

He only gave a squeak. This time he dodged, and he ran. He used his weak little wings to fly far away. Far, far away, where the bad woman Luzia couldn’t touch him. He flew to the trees. To the shadows. The only home he’d ever truly known.

His hand flew up to his cut. It wasn’t deep but would definitely scar. He fell to his knees in defeat. Tears streaming from both eyes. He had finally found a home. He’d finally been excepted and for what? For them to betray him. He could never be loved. Never be cared for. He would always just be a mutt.

“That’s a pretty nasty cut, kid,” a female said somewhere behind him.

“Go away,” he said through sobs. “I’m a mutt. You’ll just hurt me.”

“Mhm, let me see your cut. I can clean it to keep infection away.”

He shook his head.

“Alright then, you’re coming with me. It’s not safe to be out here alone.”

“Why? Because of mutts?”

A soft chuckle. “No, because of the villagers.”

“Wha-“

He turned and saw the owner of the voice. A tall woman with short curly black hair. Her arms were crossed across her chest. Her deep purple eyes with slits for pupils stared down at him. Two dark horns curved out of her hair. Two magnificent large black feathered wings that faded to purple at the edges lay behind her dormant. A devil’s tail flicked behind her. A golden halo floating above her head.

“My name is Kaivalya, or just Kai.”

“Arec,” he said softly.

She smiled. “Well Arec, if you come with me, you can meet the others.”

“Others?”

She chuckled. “Come on, I’ll take you home.”

“I have no home.”

“Why?”

“Because I’m a mutt.”

Her smile faltered at the crude nickname.

“So am I, and yet look at me. I am happy, and I have a home.”

He glanced away and back at her. “You won’t hurt me?”

“No.”

“Promise?”

“I promise you Arec, on my honor.”

“Ok,” he glanced around taking one last look, “let’s go home.”

April 06, 2021 20:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.