0 comments

Coming of Age Fiction

Manuel loaded his guitar into his Used Sedan after a gig at a bar and grill establishment, carrying his guitar. On his way, he stopped at a convenience store for Gas and a bottled Iced Coffee and saw an Advertisement on the Newspaper in the Newspaper Vending Machine: "Folk Fest is looking for Applications for Participating Artists."

"This could be the big chance I've been looking for!" Manuel said to himself.

Manuel applied, filled out the form, and uploaded a video of his performance at a community event at the local park from the day prior.

A couple weeks later, Manuel heard a *Bing* noise coming from his smart phone. He checked the notification to see a new E-Mail in his E-Mail Inbox with the title "Congratulations!"

Manuel opened the E-Mail. It was from Folk Fest. It said "Congratulations! You have been accepted as a Participating Artist for Folk Fest in Los Angeles! See you on May 10!"

Manuel was so overjoyed, he ran up and down the street whooping and hollering. He immediately told his parents. His mother squealed in delight and gave her son a tight bear hug. His Dad took the family out to dinner to celebrate.


A few months went by until the big day was over the horizon.


As Manuel put his Guitar and Equipment in the back of his Used Sedan, took one last look at his family and his Phoenix, Arizona home. He grew up in that house, and he loved his family, but Manuel had a dream of playing Guitar and microphone in front of crowds and bringing people joy with his music since he was a boy, and Folk Fest was his big chance, his Window of Opportunity. Manuel hugged his mother, father, and little brother Nick goodbye.

"I'll call you when I get to the Airport, then when I find a Motel. Wish me luck!" Manuel said to his parents.

"Make me proud, son..." said his father.

"I love you, Manny!" said his mother.

And so, Manuel made off to The Phoenix Arizona Airport to catch his flight to Los Angeles.

At LAX, Manuel called his parents to let them know he made it safe, followed the map and his notes to find his Gate and boarded his flight. When he got off, he called his parents again. It was after hung up that saw a 'Java Shack' Cafe and realized he needed a pick-me-up. When Manuel heard "Oh, no!" he turned to see a middle-aged women paying more attention to her phone than where she was going bump into a girl his age, causing the girl to spill her drink on herself.

"Are you ok, miss?" Manuel asked

"Yes, I'm fine." the girl responded.

"Let me buy you a new drink." Manuel offered.

"You don't have to do that!" said the Girl.

"The pleasure's all mine! My name is Manuel, but I go by "The Man" as my stage name." greeted Manuel.

"Thank you, Manuel, my name is Cleo." the Girl said.

"Nice to meet you, I'm a street musician on my way to Folk Fest. You?" Manuel said.

"I'm on my way to Hollywood to become an Actress." Cleo replied.

"Well, Good luck to you!" Manuel said.

"Same to you!" Cleo replied

"So what will you have?" asked Manuel.


After ordering a Venti Coffee and Bagel with Cream Cheese for himself, Manuel bought Cleo a Chai Latte, they drank, talked for a while, and went their separate ways and left LAX. Manuel wrote in his notebook on his Shuttle Bus to the Hotel. At the Hotel Lobby, Manuel called his mother.


"Hi, Mom! I'm calling from the Marriott Lobby...Just wanted to let you know I made it safe before I checked in...Tell Dad I'm checking in at the Hotel now. I'll call Dad when I wake up in the morning. I love you, Mom, Dad, and Nick too!"


"Good Morning, Dad! I'm on my way to Folk Fest, but first I'm having some Continental Breakfast...How did I sleep? Not that great, but still not too bad...Nervous? Yes, but also excited! Oh! Waffles! Got to go, Dad! Love you! Tell Mom and Nick I love them too!" 


Manuel had just gotten his Waffle with Eggs, Bacon and Orange Juice on his tray when he saw Cleo sitting at a Table at the Lobby with Oatmeal and a Fruit Cup with Tea.

"Hey, Cleo!"

"Hi, Manuel! Small world, huh?" Cleo said.

"So, you didn't have Bacon or Eggs?" Manuel asked.

"My father is white, but my mother is Indian, so we don't eat meat in our family." Cleo said.

"My dad is Mexican. My mom is White, though." Manuel said.

"Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to call my mother." Cleo said as she stepped outside.

Manuel texted "OMW to Folk Fest" to his family and headed outside the lobby after his breakfast.

"...The Uber is here, I love you, Mom! Bye!"

It was when Manuel reached into his pocket to grab his wallet that he left his Wallet back in the Hotel Room.

Manuel called the Front Desk, and they sent someone to his room to retrieve it. At that moment, Cleo leaned in and said to the Uber Driver "I'll pay for his ride!"

"You don't have to do that!" Manuel said.

"Consider it paying you back for buying me a Chai Tea yesterday. aanndd done! It's paid." Cleo said.

It was then a Bell-hop ran out to deliver Manuel's Wallet to him. "Your Wallet, sir!"

"Oh, uh, Thank you. And Thank you too, Cleo." 

"Take me to Folk Fest, please..."

Cleo got into her separate Uber and Manuel into his, going their separate ways.

On his way, "The Man", continued writing in his notebook.


At Folk Fest, a pit of nervousness settled in The Man's stomach as he watched the band playing ahead of him finish their last song. When the audience broke out into applause, The Man looked at his notebook and smiled.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Phoenix, Arizona, please welcome our up and coming Artist at his first Folk Fest show: The Man!"


The crowd clapped and cheered as The Man walked onto the stage, Guitar in hand and ready to play.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd like to open with a song I wrote just today. It's called "Cleo"...."

June 10, 2021 20:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.