Contest #170 winner 🏆

116 comments

American Teens & Young Adult Sad

This story contains sensitive content

Fini Flight


Tigger Warning:

Suicide, Violence, Swearing



"It's like flying."

She said as I peered down at the two dead bodies laying on the ground below me. I was one of the four who decided to jump instead. The unlucky four who didn't escape.

"Well?"

Well what? You're asking me to jump off a fucking building.

"Together?" I ask

"No, you go first."

What does that mean? Is she really going to chicken out? She was the one who so readily agreed to the idea.

"What?"

"You go first."

"No."

"Why?"

"What do you mean why?" I can feel the anger inside of me boiling up to the lid like rice does when you forget about it. She so willingly wanted to jump when I didn't; now she refuses. "You want me to jump off a building. You want me to end my own life." I can now feel tears pooling in my eyes as I realize what the last sentence meant. 

“Just plea-”

“NO!” I scream. Finally losing my cool. “YOU PIECE OF SHIT! I DON’T WANT TO JUMP FIRST! FOR FUCK SAKE I DON’T WANT TO JUMP AT ALL!”

At this point, I’m sobbing. A full fit like a two-year-old. I crumble to the ground and hide my face in my hands. Gunshots ring under me in the building on which I sit. I now realize we were not the only "unlucky four" who didn’t escape. That’s why we came up here in the first place. To die peacefully. Or as peacefully as we could. I sit on the concrete bawling until my head is throbbing with pain.

I realize Kelsie, the poor girl I just screamed at doesn't feel any different than I do. My conscience punishes me by bombarding my mind with scoldings from all different corners of my head. She didn't deserve that. We're all losing our shit. Don't blame her. You're so selfish. What is wrong with you? You deserve to be laying down there with the others.

I pull myself together enough to stand up and apologize.

"I'm sorry. I truly am, you didn't deserve that," I say while wiping the tears and snot onto my navy blue sleeve. I finally turn my head up to look her in the eye, but I am met with nothing but with a blue sky filled with clouds. Kelsie's not there. Through my tantrum, I didn’t hear the clap of her body hitting the blacktop parking lot that lay three stories below me.

She was dead.


I was the only one left. 


My head is spinning. My legs feel numb like they do after getting off a roller coaster. Finally, after standing in the same spot for what feels like an eternity, my mind switches to what you could call flight mode. I sprint over to the giant vent and rip the grate off. I squeeze in the best I can and replace the grate, completely unconscious of what I’m doing.

Tears are streaming down my face as I pull myself further and further back into the whirring metal box. The sound of gunshots echo in my ears. That moment from no longer than forty-five minutes ago plays on repeat in my head. Kids scurrying through the hallways with looks of terror on their faces. The moment when we all realized this was it. This was the end of our lives. Everything ended in the hallways of a shitty high school. 


Not me.


I survived. 



○ ○ ○



My eyes flutter open. I fell asleep. I take a breath, letting the cool air of a Michigan night fill my lungs. I can hear the chatter of people not far off. 

I take the vent cover off and wiggle my way out, my entire body cracking as I sit up on the cold concrete. I sit there for who knows how long listening to the chattering people. They’re talking about something terrible.

...42 were killed.”

“...4 are missing.”

“They’re all dead…”

I stand up and walk over to the edge of the roof where I can hear the people and look down. The people go quiet and look back at me. Suddenly the group breaks apart, some heading towards their red and blue flashing cars, while others rush into the school.

About thirty seconds later I hear, Thump, Thump, Thump, Thump. People running up a staircase. Then the door to the roof bursts open.

“HEY! KEEP YOUR HANDS WHERE I CAN SEE THEM!” A man yells, I assume at me, however, I don’t move at all. I can't, I'm too exhausted. Three other men follow him through the door and start to surround me with their guns pointed at the ground. I look up at them and they relax, seeing I have nothing but my ripped zip-up hoodie. Two of the men put their guns in their holsters and start to move in closer.

No.

No. No. No. No. No. NO! Unintentionally, I jump back away from the men, pulling my sweatshirt tight around my waist. 

“It’s alright. We’re here to help.” says the man who first came barreling through the door. I quickly take another step back, not letting him get any closer.

“I promise you we are here to help.” says the man again. He extends his hand towards me so I can take it. I look at it and my lungs start to feel like they’re shrinking. They feel so small I can barely breathe. I sit down gasping for air when suddenly my hand is in someone else's.

“Hey, hey, hey, deep breaths. Deep breaths. Ready? Watch me.” I don’t look up, instead, I stare at a tiny piece of rock embedded in the concrete. He starts taking exaggerated breaths in through his nose and out through his mouth, just like every yoga instructor I've ever met. The sound of my heart in my ears is fading; my breathing is slowing down. All the men have left, leaving just the first man and me.

“Better?” Says the man. I nod, still refusing to look at him.

“Can I ask what your name is?” I take a deep breath and answer him, trying my best not to let my voice crack.

“Piper,” I say quietly.

“Hi Piper, I’m Ceader, how old are you?”

“Fifteen,”

“What grade are you in?”

“Tenth.”

“Tenth grade, very good. Piper, are you hurt anywhere?”

“I think I hurt my ankle.” I hadn't even noticed. As we continue to talk, my confidence builds little by little.

“Are you able to walk?”

"I think so."

“Great, if you can, I would like to ask you to come down to the parking lot with me. We want to ask you some questions.”

“Who’s we?”

“The police. Your school was attacked today and we’re trying to figure out why it happened.

Ask me why it happened. Jesus Christ. What the hell is wrong with these people? What happened was another high school in America got screwed over again. 

“...But first, do you have a family? Mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, anyone who you feel comfortable contacting?”

“No.”

“No one?”

“No.”

I wonder where mom is right now. If she would have given a shit if her only kid died. You idiot. Of course she wouldn’t have. She left me. Left me to figure out my life on my own. A fifteen-year-old to fend for herself.

“Okay then, you’re gonna stick with us until we can figure something out for you.”

“Alright."

“Alright.” Says Ceader, leading the way to the rooftop's door.

Instead of following, I stand in one place with my feet glued to the ground.

Why didn’t I die? Why did I survive? The person who has nothing to live for is living. So many people died. People with a life. People who had someone who cared about them. I robbed them of that. I don't deserve to live. 

I refuse.


I burst into tears.


Ceader turns back around. I look at him and he seems to know what I'm thinking. He starts running toward me but is too slow. I reach the edge of the building and turn around. He stops and looks me dead in the eye.

"Piper. Stop. Please Piper don't do anything."

He speaks to his chest, requesting backup but it won't help him.

"Look away. Please" I ask, for his sake.

He lunges at me but it's too late. I fall back.


I always did want to fly.



November 04, 2022 04:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

116 comments

17:27 Nov 11, 2022

Wow! This is beautiful, even though the ending is a kinda heartbreaking. I love this story to the moon and back. Well done, Camphor White. Your storytelling skill is awesome.

Reply

Lydia Badidia
21:54 Nov 15, 2022

I agree- it's so creative and you have just enough action to make it exciting without over doing it. congrats on the win!

Reply

Camphor White
01:33 Nov 17, 2022

Thank you so much :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
16:56 Nov 11, 2022

Fast paced exciting writing. The second paragraph was truly confusing..was that a grammar error or intentional? and then the story gets moving, fast, and I thought this was a Squid Game situation for a while, until it shifts into being someone in a school shooting. Good job of following the write by the seat of your pants idea (i'm trying to comment by the seat of my pants) and making the story grow into something bigger. Then when Piper was rescued it shifts into something far more emotional and revealing. I thought this was a powerful para...

Reply

Camphor White
22:42 Nov 11, 2022

Hi, thank you so much for reading this. You said in the second paragraph it was confusing, where exactly did you mean? My goal is to improve my writing skills and that starts here. So as much feedback as you could give me would be great. Thank you so much.😄

Reply

03:42 Nov 12, 2022

“She said as I peered down at the two dead bodies laying on the ground below me. I was one of the four who decided to jump instead. The unlucky four who didn't escape.” ‘Instead’ after the first sentence would mean you are doing the opposite of those ppl jumping. And the past tense thing when the mc is alive and in action talking and not reminscing. Outside of that, creating tension and being in motion without explaining everything is fine imho. How much internal thinking you choose to write depends on where you sit on the literary fiction s...

Reply

Camphor White
23:00 Nov 12, 2022

Thank you for clarifying. I will fix that when I go through it again😃 I shall always keep what you have said in mind when writing in the future. It's a good piece of advice to hold onto so thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Olivia White
23:16 Nov 09, 2022

This is such a good story! It really opens your eyes and shows you what kids have to go through, and that sometimes we're scared to go to school because of this.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Protagonst ‎
19:48 Jan 31, 2024

Great story! That last line there was a great way to end. You get a follow for this one.

Reply

Show 0 replies
17:54 Sep 10, 2023

https://themyelitedatequest.life/?u=0uww0kv&o=1e0px26

Reply

Show 0 replies
10:56 Sep 07, 2023

https://myelitedatequest.life/?u=0uww0kv&o=1e0px26&t=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvFQWoT__Lo&t=tiktok=&t=youtube&cid=clickid={cid} It's very hot there for the boys.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Karinna Perez
09:47 Jun 10, 2023

I liked the story a lot, and I do have some things I want to say about it, but since I’m very late and a lot of stuff has already been said, I’ll keep it as short as possible. — Given that you figured it out as you went, it is excellent. Knowing that, it was nice to see the world and characters develop as the story progressed — As many have said, a second look at the characters in retrospect could have helped flesh out their motivations, especially those who didn’t have time to come into their own with the story. — I think the pacing could h...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lucy Olivieri
02:36 May 03, 2023

this was an amazing story, you should be famous

Reply

Show 0 replies
Francisca Ozizi
19:22 Apr 24, 2023

why are you putting swer if a kid find this

Reply

Show 0 replies
02:03 Jan 07, 2023

I feel so blessed again in my marriage after Doctor Oku brought back my husband that separated with me for a good 3 months. Even though I have mouths all over my body, it won't be enough to thank Doctor Oku for his help in my life. My husband separated with me for 3 months and has been in pain and agony without him. So, I searched for help everywhere but nothing worked out, not until I meant Doctor Oku who I contacted online. I explained my situation to him and he promised that my husband will get back to me within 48 to 72 hours as long as ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
23:50 Jan 04, 2023

I feel so blessed again in my marriage after Doctor Oku brought back my husband that separated with me for a good 3 months. Even though I have mouths all over my body, it won't be enough to thank Doctor Oku for his help in my life. My husband separated with me for 3 months and has been in pain and agony without him. So, I searched for help everywhere but nothing worked out, not until I meant Doctor Oku who I contacted online. I explained my situation to him and he promised that my husband will get back to me within 48 to 72 hours as long as ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Arianna Silveira
00:59 Dec 08, 2022

I absolutely love this story it’s gust so good

Reply

Show 0 replies
Musabbir Hossain
08:45 Dec 06, 2022

heart touching story man i really feel this story . nice story man.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Arianna Silveira
17:53 Dec 05, 2022

I'm in class trying to hid the fact I'm crying this story is so sad

Reply

Show 0 replies
03:54 Dec 01, 2022

At first I was a little sad and angry, thinking that all the winning stories seem to be so negative and violent. But then I remembered, you warned me, right? I live near Goodrich, MI and we all need to be reminded about these situations. Yours was a good perspective. I felt a lurch inside when I read the bit where she looks up and is talking to Kelsie - and Kelsie is gone. Lord - powerful. I wondered if you meant to write "I always wanted to fly" - great ending - writing wise.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aliyah Jackson
04:59 Nov 21, 2022

I cried, I never related to a story more than this one.

Reply

Show 0 replies
McKinley Gardner
16:36 Nov 20, 2022

This is amazing, I want more! I wish there was more, I really do!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sharon Grant
12:57 Nov 18, 2022

Excellent well done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
MB Campbell
22:50 Nov 13, 2022

Love the ending

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jan MacFarlane
20:20 Nov 13, 2022

Your story had me hooked right from the first line. İt was so fast moving and kept me guessing all the way through. The ending took me by surprise. Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.