0 comments

Fiction Funny

I liked being at home. After hearing that we’d have school virtually made me happier. I wouldn’t have to go through the whole getting up at five in the morning, worrying if I had everything for school. Splendid. AND, I can finally get enough vitamin zzzzzz each night. 

“Rebecca, please get up. You can’t keep waking up at eleven. Now your breakfast is cold.” my mom scolded.

“Eh, I’ll eat it later. Lemme sleep for a few more minutes.”

“We’re having scones with blueberry jam.”

I perked up as she said that. Jumping out of bed with my black and white pajamas, I sprinted out of my room and into the kitchen, with a horrible sight to behold. The little gremlin brother with my scones in his jam-covered mouth. After not getting my daily dose of caffeine from my coffee, I was waaaay more irritated than I should have been. My brother, David, looked down at me with a smirk. Although he was younger than me, he certainly hogged all the tall genes among us siblings. I glared at him.

“Dude, what the heck? Those were my scones!” I pointed my finger at him. 

“First come, first serve. I wasn’t letting those scones go to waste.”

“I was going to eat those!!!” I yelled.

“Use your inside voice, sweetie. And please stop going down to your brother’s level.”

David used his hand to show the height difference between us and snickered. My mom brought out some more pastries from the oven.

“Here, I left some croissants in the oven just in case something like this would happen--- and it did!” she smiled.

My brother reached for one and I slapped his hand away. The boy was already a bit chubby after spending time playing video games instead of exercising ever since this coronavirus came. Up to now, he’s afraid of even going outside. Bruh.

Flashback:

“Why do I have to exercise mom?! Can we just get a treadmill?? I’ll pay you back!” David whined.

“First of all, we don’t have space for that because of all of your expensive gaming equipment. What happened to the boy who loved going outside for a morning jog, and going to the gym?”

“But I don’t wanna diiiiiieeee!!! PLEASE!”

“You’re not going to die, David Theodore Wallace. Just put on the damn anime mask I bought you from Amazon, and try, try not to flirt with the girls in our neighborhood, and you’ll be fine.”

“I-I don’t flirt with the girls in our neighborhood! We just talk!”

“Yeah, right.”

I smirked at the memory. Once I finished my breakfast, I made my way back to my natural habitat, my bedroom. That is if my mom didn’t stop me. My parents agreed that I had been spending too much time in my room on Tik Tok. They decided that if I continue to be antisocial I’ll have to go to hybrid, rather than doing distance learning as I’ve been for the last year. I begged my mother. I just couldn’t do it. I liked staying in my pajamas all day, waking up just before my first class online. I felt so safe at home, and very comfortable. Apparently too comfortable.

“You’ve had plenty of time to convince me whether you could go to hybrid or stay at home. And you’re too late. Sorry, sweetie.” my mother explained.

“I’ll do anything! Chores, babysitting, and even going on walks every day for exercise!” I implored.

“You’d probably do that for a day, and then return to your lazy self not long later. I know you, Rebecca.”

Well, well, well how the tables have turned. That’s probably what my brother is thinking. Unfortunately, I had to go to hybrid, after failing to convince my mom. Two weeks and the suffering would begin. Luckily, it was only for two days each week, but that was two too many. How can I possibly get enough sleep if I have to get up at five?!

I went to my bed, which was right above my office, and punched my stuffed bear in frustration. Poor bear. I used all my energy, releasing my anger, and eventually went to sleep. 

“Oi! Ya punch the hell outa me and you have the audacity to sleep peacefully after what you did?! GET UP!” A voice yelled.

“AHH! Who said that?” I quickly got up, banging my head on the ceiling.

“It’s God. You will be punished for your sins and you will be struck down. Any last words?”

“W-What?!”

“Nah, it’s the bear. The poor innocent bear who got the stuffing beat outa him.”

“O-Oh, uh sorry, Mr. Bear.”

The bear plushie looked at me with a frown. He gestured to the window. I opened it and flinched at the bright sunlight that suddenly came in.

“Do you really want to stay at home? You’re gonna miss out on all of this. The shining sun, the gentle breeze, the whole package which we call nature. And spring is coming too, you should take advantage of that before it gets hot as hell.”

“I can’t believe I’m talking to a stuffed animal.”

“See, you’re going insane. This is for your own good.”

He’s right. I was going insane. I can’t stay here any longer. I have to go outside. Suddenly, there was a knock on my bedroom door. It was my dad.

“Rebecca? Who are you talking to?”

“Uhhhh, I was talking to myself.”

“Oh, okay then. Uh, have fun with that…”

I finally decided. I am going to hybrid. It’s not that bad sooo…

Two weeks later…

It was pretty cool. The teachers were nice, and I made some new friends there. School was shorter than usual so that was nice. Yeah. I think I’m gonna be alright here. Although I’d prefer if this coronavirus was gone, so we could take off these masks. But apart from that, I can’t wait to go back to school next week. Spring break is also around the corner so hopefully, there will be no homework.

March 26, 2021 14:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.