So, What? Despite Both Of Us Being Anime Fans I Will (Not) Be Able To Confess To Her!

Submitted into Contest #76 in response to: Write a conversation that takes place between two people who refuse to say what they mean.... view prompt

1 comment

Funny Romance Teens & Young Adult

Breath in, breath out.   

Breath in, breath out.  

"I have no relation to doubts". He tries to motivate himself and slaps his cheeks to focus on what he is going to. He pulls his sleeves up to complete his look of how a man looks like who can do what he actually doesn't want to do.


Straight like a Sam Spade line he moves towards her classroom. He clears his throat to get the necessary attention for his entry. With one big hand movement the classroom door opens - no! - it crashes against the door frame.

"Yo, hello", he says as the other people in the room are looking at him irritated. The target of his advanced is sitting in one of the back rows next to the window. She and her friends rotated their head towards him and blink a bit nervous in his direction. Once again he adjusts his sleeve to demonstrate his determination. Understandably, if I would do it I would do the same. In a swaggering way he advances towards her and her gang as everyone watches him like a model on the catwalk. One could hear a needle drop as he advances through this scene of onlookers and red-headed woman. All onlookers are able to suppress their instinctual wish to give him some Martini.


He stands in front of her - the rest of the gang watching. In such a scene it comes at no surprise that her head was read and the thoughts are running.

She thinks "Oh god, oh god, he finally tells me he loves me. F-I-N-A-L-L-Y. I am waiting ages for this."

"I don't know", he starts swaggering, "and I always wanted to know something."

"Yes, yes?", she inquires as her head nods slightly.

"Is there only you or do you have a sister with more curves?" he inquires.

Her face splits and fell to pieces. Her closest friend uses the dustpan and brush to clean her face from the ground and put it back in her head.

"Yes or no?" - seems like she is a bit slow.

"No..." - the writer is as disappointed as the male audience about this revelation.

"Well, then it looks like we could be a thing" he suggests with less swagger than he should have in this situation.

"So, I am a replacement for the non-existing anime tier sister of me? Wow", she said disappointed. "I am so lucky that I never liked you!", she angrily shouts at him while thinking: "OH MY GOD. Why am I saying this!? No way I can get out of this again!"

He raises his eyebrow when he hears this statement - a skeptic it seems. He raises his pointer as if he wants to note something of importance.

"This sounds like you are lying, and you love me deeply." He is correct, you know. Her mouth is open as she hears that - maybe? - accusation.

"Now, I can't let this go unchallenged!" bounces it around her head. Whispers around her, about her, about him, it can be heard by everyone that is even close to any person in this room. Oho, here comes the red all over her face! Cute. He looks her deeply in the eyes, his right hand in a position that makes you think he is holding a magnifier.

"Wrong!" she shouts while shaking. Her right arm pointing in his face; her right index finger pointing between his eyes, an act of defiance, of will, of dominance.

"Oh, truly?", he says while doing the 'I-don't-know' posture with his upper body. The light of the sun suddenly falls on him which gives him a certain aura. He pulls the chair behind him close and sits down as he instantly crosses his legs.

"How lucky, so I don't have to tell you that I want you?" he states and wonders himself: "What am I even talking here? Why am I baiting her if I don't want to actually tell her this?" Her fast reaction throws him out of his own thoughts.

"You are a clown! A demon! A player!" she is clearly miserable now, loud noises that are in an unnecessary way associated with speech are coming from her as she nervously points at him with her finger.

"I am pushing him a~w~a~y, what am I doing? That clown is baiting me! I just can't do it" is the thought that is mainly jumping around her head at this point. As the writer I agree with both of them, they really can't do it.


Locked in a situation in which nothing seems to move forward one of her friends goes down the most unhelpful route:

"Well," she starts and as she breaks the silence the whole eyes of the room are sticking to her mouth "a girlfriend cost at least $500 a month, and that is only the start. Do you even have this kind of money?". Everyone in the room who could hear it reacted with shock, especially the taken girls whose boyfriends didn't spend $500 on them - so far.

"I am so happy that I would never confess" is a thought currently rotating in the head of both of our protagonists "that is beyond my mean" both add.

"Well!" he stands up, hands in his pocket, cool body language, the head slightly tilted "What is the wage of an average morning for getting you?". Do I have to note that her head was even redder now? In her eyes he was standing there, laid back, the coolest ever, a rose in his mouth, being seductive, flowers surround his body. Female romantic delusions can be linked to shoujo manga, the writer wants to note.

"If you were your anime-tier sister" he adds while once again failing at the concept of playful mocking and instead going for smashing a home run level baseball swing in the face of a young girl. She was so, so angry when she heard that she forgot - just like the reader - that it is kind of weird that nearly no one else seem to interfere in this scene.

She jumped straight on the top of her desk, bends forward and holds him by the collar of his jacket.

"I have no idea how to turn this around" she realizes in her anger. So, whatever, it is not like she actually likes him or anything!

"You disgusting liar-pig-donkey!" she starts her rage "How are you even able to get the $500?!"

He dryly answers with one word:

"Bitcoin".

She pulls him even closer, now even angrier, due to her lack of knowledge of alternative monetary system, but she is 13 and therefore we shouldn't wonder. She throws him - how? - on the ground, shocking nobody in her direct surrounding.

"All you can do is lying!" hell has no fury like a woman girl scorned.

He locked up to her, smug smile, head tilted again.

"If all I can do is lying then I would tell you I l.o.v.e. you" he answers her bait as he simply can't tell her that he really feels this way and therefore goes for some mind screw phrases that outside of media productions were never able to convey those feelings. She bends over her desk as she gives of a dangerous vibe that he could instantly recognize. He jumps up and is turning around so that he can run away as she already grabbed her chair and threw it at him. Lucky for him, he is able to only get hit on his left side, but one can clearly see him running some way that is not related to a straight line towards the door of the classroom.


The transfer student, who entered this class on this very day, kept quiet during that whole intermezzo, but now she wants to know it. She wants some disclosure about this - whatever this is - situation from someone. One of the female protagonists friend's head lay on top of her desk next to the protagonist's desk, therefore the transfer students considered it safe to ask her the most important question of this story:

"What was happening here?".

The friend answers while keeping her eyes closed with an answer that is delivered with a deep undercurrent of boredom:

"Just a daily occurrence, you get used to it after a week. Welcome to our class!"

January 15, 2021 17:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

17:04 Jan 27, 2021

A classic romantic short story, astonishing. I personally love romantic short stories and I officially love this one! I read it 4 times already and I'm about to read it again. Can you please come and read my story? I am looking for some more constructive critisism. If you don't mind, can you please like and follow me too? (You don't have to, but I would be really grateful).

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.