0 comments

Contemporary Crime Friendship

UNFORGETTABLE ENCOUNTER 

Walking down the quiet deserted street, Maya felt like everything around her was on fire because of the hurt and disappointment she felt in her heart. She was burning up with range but had no one to channel it to.  

 Early on a Saturday morning, she had gone to his house to pay him a visit. Maya had been out of town for two weeks on a work trip and wanted to surprise him. When she got to the house the locks were changed her key couldn't open. After knocking at the door for a while a young beautiful lady in a bathrobe opened the door. 

 Maya was shocked, for a moment she thought she was at the wrong door. "Who are you?" The lady asked.

 "I'm Maya and if I'm not wrong this is my fiancé's house."

  "Guess you are at the wrong house......." "Babe who's at the door?" Andrew walked from the bed room the only thing covering his body was a towel. "Maya what are you doing here?" He asked surprised to see her. He did expect her come this early in the morning since she was out of town.

  "Maya? Do you know this woman Andrew?" The lady asked. Maya stood at the door paralyzed and mute, she didn't know what to do or say.

 "Maya love I can explain, she's just a friend please listen to me."

 He tried to hold her and explain but Maya didn't want to hear anymore of Lie's. She took a step back turned around and left the building. She keep walking like a zombie along the highway. Not many people walked along the highway especially in the early morning hours on a weekend. 

  Cab drivers would hoot and even stop to ask her if she would like a ride but left without any response. She keep on walking without looking back or shedding tears. She walked for hours and stop at the bridge. 

 She stood there looking at the water flowing below the bridge, it was a long way down if she fell she couldn't survive. Her body would be washed away into the ocean. Thinking about what had happened, she felt betrayed, hurt, broken and empty inside.

  Andrew was the only man she had ever loved. He become her boyfriend in high school and proposed to marry her a year ago. Know only two months to their wedding she finds him with another woman, how was she going to face her family and friends after all this. She questioned herself over and over again. Today she and her friend Lisa were supposed to check the wedding venue later in the day she had gone to surprise Andrew hoping he would join them since he did not participate in the wedding preparations but she's the one who got surprised.

  Lisa had warned her several time about Andrew but she didn't believe her. He was the perfect man, humble, hardworking and handsome. The dream guy for all lady's, she fell in love with him the first day she saw him. You couldn't really judge people by outward appearance. 

 She contemplated jumping off the bridge, took off her jack and shoe's. Kept them beside her feet with her hand bag. The climbed up the steel bar ready to jump but someone stopped her.

 "Is it really worth it? How is ending your life going to solve all your problems?" This deep muscling voice questioned her. "You are probably a spoilt brat who want to kill herself because a boy rejected you and couldn't get the special Valentine gift you wanted." He kept taunting her and that infuriated Maya more. He was a total stranger, he had no idea what she was going through but he would judge her.

  "You don't know anything a about my life and you have no right to stand there and judge me." This man was really getting into her nerves. She couldn't turn and look at him from the position she was at and that upset her more. 

 "I may not know your story but I know most people who choose to kill themselves are coward's. Think of all those people who love you, how hurt they will be and probably blame themselves for not being there for you for the lest of their lives. The person you want to do this for will go on with his life and only you family will suffer from your loss. So if you think its worth it jump."

 "What? Aren't you supposed to stop me?" Not only was he judgemental and infuriating he even asked her to jump.

  "Its your choice, can't stop you if that what you want." 

  "You are so annoying. I want to haaaa...."

  When she turned around her bare foot slipped and fell. 

  He was quick to hold her hand and start pulling her up. "Oh my God please don't let me fall, I really don't want to die." 

 "Don't panic its okay, have got you." He pull her up and they fell beside the road. Several people had stop their cars when they saw her almost fall. When they saw she was pull up safely they went on with their business.

  "I almost died." She started crying saying the same words over and over again and he hugged her trying to comfort her. Due to the shock and stress she lost conscience. She thought all that had happened in the morning was just a nightmare until she woke up in a strange room with a terrible headache.

  "I see you are awake. Here have some pain medicine it will help relive the pain." He handed her a glass of water and some pills but Maya didn't take them.

  "Who are you and how did I get here?" She tried to get up but her body was aching all over. She had walked all morning and almost fell of the bridge. She had not seen his face but the voice was the mans who had saved her.

 "You should take the medicine." 

  "Thank you, for saving my life and not leaving me at the roadside." She took the medicine, for the first time she got a clear look at him. He was very handsome and strong too. The furnishings in the house looked quite expensive, he was not an ordinary man. "I have to contact my family they must be worried about me."

  "Your friend called, she will be her in the morning to pick you up."

  "Lisa called? Oh I'm sure she and my mum are worried about me."

 "Don't worry I convinced them that some work come up and you had to stay late."

  "Thank you again, I didn't get your name."

 "I'm Christopher Baron but my friends call me Chris."

 "Thank you for saving my life Chris, I'm Maya Chambers but just call me Maya. I honestly don't know how to repay you."

 "You can only repay me by taking care of yourself and don't let any difficulties and hardship pull you down. I I'll get someone to bring you something to eat and a change of clothes." He had his housekeeper bring food and clothes, with the medicine she took she felt better and slept well. Though she was still hurting she had to face her family and had to call of the wedding.

  "Maya! Are you okay? I was so worried when you didn't show up at our meeting place yesterday then this guy answers your phone." Lisa hugged her, questioned about what had happened and Maya had to explain. "Oh my dear that Andrew is such a jackass how could he do that after everything besides you two are getting married."

  "There is no wedding, I can't marry him but I don't know if my parent will support me." They got in Lisa's car and had drive them home.

 "They have to don't worry. How did you meet with sir Baron?"

  "You know him?"

  "Yeah, who doesn't besides its his company that taking over the management."

 "What they purchased the company? I had no idea." They worked in the same company but Maya was in marketing department and had to travel out of town she didn't know who Chris was but more so she was grateful he was there to help.

 Andrew had gone to her house and told a different story of what had happened. They didn't believe that the perfect son in law to be could do such a thing and with all the money put into the wedding preparation the wedding had to happen.

 Trying to convince them couldn't work so in order not to go on with the marriage she had Chris help her leave the country. They had worked together for a couple of weeks and become good friends. Not only was he her boss but he was a good friend to.

 "Maya what the relationship between you and sir Baron?" Her friend Lisa asked while getting off work.

 "Nothing, we are just friends and asked for his help to leave before the wedding. You know my parent insist I have to marry Andrew and two weeks to the wedding I can't leave the house. Andrew is always at the house and has people follow me so I have to leave as soon as possible and only Chris has money and power to get me out."

 "I didn't know Andrew was this controlling that he has to hire people to follow you, please be careful."

 "That why I have to Leave as soon as possible, I don't want to drug you into this mess so we can't meet a gain."

 "I understand, take of yourself." They hugged each other when they got to Maya's home then Lisa drove off. She and Lisa had been friends for years and they always backed each other up but this was getting dangerous. She couldn't involve her in any of it. She was seeing Andrews evil side and wondered what he had against her parent that they couldn't support her. What scared her more was the fact that she always felt like someone was watching over her. Some sort of spirit were always with her and gave her courage to fight.

 She walked in and her parents were arguing, she has never had them argue before and was curious of what the fight was about. "Are you going to let him get away with it?" She could hear her mother's voice.

  "He got some information about what we did, if we don't do has he say's then we end up in prison."

  "What? How did he know about it I thought we tied all loss ends?" 

  "We did but one of the employee back then found out and he got to her. Maya should never find out that killed her parent and took over the company....

 "What are you talking about? Your not my parent?" Maya walked in and they were both shocked

 "Maya what are you doing here?" 

 "You just said that you killed my parent and Andrew knows about it. All this years have been leaving a lie. All my life, how could you be so wicked?"

  "Shut up, you can do nothing about it. Go to your room." Her furious father shouted at her.

  "Don't hurt her James she's my brother's daughter I won't let you."

 Maya got confused with all she had found out. Her parent were not really her parent but murderous who had killed her real parents. The person she called mother was her aunt and Andrew knew everything, he even used all that to blackmail them. They were all criminals and she would make them pay for everything.

  She run out of the house took her car and drove off. She had to get to Chris, he would help her. When they realized that she had left he asked for his men to bring her back.

  Maya called Chris and told him what had happened. She also had a recording of what her parent were arguing about. While on the phone and driving off to the place they planned to meet, she realized people were following her. Her father had send people to get her so no one could find out about his dirty deed's. Maya knew if they managed to capture her they would lock her up or maybe kill her. It was a weekend and not may vehicle on the highway but she had to get a place to hide. There were two vehicles after her and they were gaining on her fast. She took the first diversion from the highway leading out of the city and almost collided with a truck head on but managed to get back to her lane in time. She was so scared, though she had tried to jump off the bridge she didn't really want to die, not after she found out what the people she had called parents did. She drove to remote area and their were not many vehicles on the road and just a few villages around the area. One of the hit her car from behind. It swayed on the road but she mange to control it. Her phone rang, Lisa was calling. Though they had agreed not to be in touch, Lisa was worried about her. She tried to reach for her phone while driving but it fell. Those people couldn't let her go, this was the last chance she had to talk to her best friend. The phone kept ringing, she bent down to reach it and just when she got the phone, her car lost control. She tried to control it but it was too late. Her car hit the signboard off the road and fell of the cliff. The car turned several times, got to the bottom of the cliff and after a few minutes boooom... it exploded. The people chasing her, called their boss and informed him what had happened then drove back to the city.

 Chris waited for her at the meeting place they agreed on but when she didn't show up he had the police looking everywhere. They got news of a car explosion out of town and after investigations they were informed that Maya was driving. It was completely burnt, no one could survive. Their was no trace of Maya being in that car apart from the pictures they reviewed from the street camera. No one knew what happened after the car fell of the cliff.

With the information that Maya sent him, Chris had her parent and Andrew investigated and with the testimony from their former employee who had been into hiding for years they were found guilty of killing Maya's parent. Andrew was found guilty to of withholding information and blackmail and sent to jail.

  "Only if Maya was alive to see that justice was served, she would be so happy." Her body was never recovered, the car had completely burnt to ashes. It was one year since the accident, Lisa, Chris and a few of her workmate had gone to pay respect to her.

  "I'm sure she's happy wherever she is." Chris didn't believe that she had died. He felt that they would meet some day because an encounter with Maya was unforgettable.

October 21, 2020 04:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.