Contest #115 winner 🏆

145 comments

Historical Fiction East Asian Creative Nonfiction

A gem can not be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.

Sejong swept his books off the shelf. Rain pelted the world outside. The king opened one of his many works, the spine of it splitting under his force, and read off a page. Nongsa jikseol, methods of cultivation in agriculture. A guidebook to farming in Korea’s geography. Words that could keep his people from famine.

He threw it into the rain. 

It splashed against the mud-coated field, water distorting the ink. A second book followed, sliding against the ground, into a puddle. A third. A fourth. They piled in the courtyard, works he had commissioned to better Korea’s people. To educate the illiterate.

Worthless.

What good is knowledge that can not be read?

Music echoed inside the palace. String instruments, a wavering bamboo flute, the quick beat of a drum. A compliment to the heavy rain. On his way to his chambers, Sejong passed a woman humming along. She sat on the wooden floor with a script out in front of her, writing out poetry, stopping to bow.

The king raised a hand in dismissal. The woman’s poems would do nothing for their culture, written in Chinese characters. A waste of paper—none other than the privileged could read it. The words would have no meaning for the common people.

He stepped into his chambers. Lamps glowed with dim flames, and rain tapped against the roof. His wife stood, her smile fading at the sight of seeing the king so tired. She hurried over and guided him to sit. Her dress, red and gold, flowed behind her.

“What worries you, my husband?”

Sejong exhaled. He considered himself a scholar, yet his kingdom could not read or write. 

“There are voices I will never hear,” he said. “Farmers who don’t have the wealth or status to learn to read. Children who cannot grow into scholars, and workers who can’t write their concerns. My people lack the gift of education, and I lack the means to educate them.”

The queen took his hand. A soft, calming touch.

“And what shall you do?” she asked.

He ran his fingers through his beard. Sejong took time to think, then turned his head to the queen.

“My people need a new system of writing, and I will craft one for them myself. A script a wise man can acquaint himself with before the morning is over, and a fool can learn in the space of ten days.”

At dawn, Sejong sat alone in a common room. Sunlight shone through the open windows, ethereal motes of dust dancing in the light. Scrolls, ink, and books surrounded him. Panels of artwork—birds and flowers—enveloped the room. Sejong spent the morning reading of phonetics, of alphabets with fifty letters, and others with seventy. 

Too many relied on complex lettering.

He would keep his simple for the busiest of men.

Around midday, he painted hundreds of symbols. He started with one stroke of the brush, ㄱ, ㄴ,ㅣ. Two strokes for ㄷ, ㅋ, ㅅ. Three for ㅎ,ㄹ,ㅈ. Never going above four. He hung papers upon the walls, blocking the sunlight. He crossed out any he deemed too complicated.

Servants left food outside the door as he worked.

By dusk, he walked through the courtyard, stars glistening above. Sejong spoke words to himself. He singled out their noises and pointed out the vowels. Oak, oath, oasis. Yam, yarn, yang. Water, wasp, wary. He pressed fingers into his mouth, feeling his teeth and tongue move at the pronunciations. His lips separated for a shh noise, but closed for ph. Some required more air, others less.

The days passed, and a concerned adviser sought him out.

“The dynasty will not agree with your choice,” the adviser said. “Knowing Chinese is what puts them above the common man. Your choice to create this script will cause an uproar, your majesty. It could divide our kingdom.”

“Let it be so,” Sejong said, looking up from his script, “as I will no longer be cut off from my people. Understand it is not knowledge that ruins the world; it falls to those pointing fingers for selfish gain.”

Dozens of sheets lined the walls. Ink stained his hands. Crumpled-up papers littered the room, drafts he deemed failures, too complex. His wife told the council members he had fallen ill, and he needed time to recover as he crafted his script.

Sejong spoke until his throat grew sore, attaching noises like ‘ch’ and ‘tah’ to some symbols while discarding others entirely. He kept his work common and crude, strong and tough, easy and efficient.

He had to write letters that would last a thousand years. 

The vowels remained as lines and dots. A silent ‘ㅇ’ shape came before each to signify an open mouth. Consonants followed suit. ‘ㄴ’, an ‘n’ sound, signified the tongue touching the back of one’s teeth. ‘ㄱ’, a ‘kuh’ noise, showed a raised tongue blocking air from one’s throat.

Lingual, dental, molar and glottal sounds made up for his script of twenty-eight letters. Seventeen consonants and eleven vowels, blocked together for organization, compared to the thousands needed for Chinese.

He wrote short sentences from top to bottom. Candles melted down beside him. Incense burned, releasing the scent of sandalwood throughout his chambers, and Sejong sat cross-legged on the floor. Weeks of work came down to reading aloud.

남자는 인내했다 - The man persevered. 

The language flowed off his tongue like water.

He presented his script to the council at first light. Two charts, one for consonants and the other for vowels, each letter with its phonetic equal written next to it. Easy to follow stroke orders. He sat upon his throne, royals whispering before him.

“Chinese characters,” he said, his voice echoing in the throne room, “are incapable of capturing our unique meanings. Many of our common people have no way to express their thoughts and feelings. Out of my sympathy for their difficulties, I have created a set of twenty-eight letters.

“They are very easy to learn, and it is my hope that they improve the quality of life of all people.” 

Not a soul agreed. 

They shouted their concerns.

The Chinese would perceive it as a threat. It would be the end of Confucianism. Korea’s social hierarchy would fall. The scripts would have to be burnt, down to ashes, to prevent an uprising. The dynasty erased the twenty-eight letters and deemed them a worthless use of time.

Yet, for the good of his people, Sejong persevered.

He taught the language to any who wanted to learn. In turn, they carried it throughout the land. Women found their voices, teaching children the simplicity of the symbols. Men stood straight, proud to have a language of their own. Monks wrote prayers in the sand. Merchants kept records of their stock, and artists could sign their names.

The letters birthed poets, playwrights, and philosophers. Astronomers learned to write the names of constellations. Winemakers created labels. Apothecaries devised written names for their medicines.

Sejong ordered for his books to be rewritten.

The dynasty failed to suppress the flow of knowledge—Korea’s illiteracy ceased to exist as the letters blossomed within the country. The script billowed in use after Sejong’s death, four years later, as the great king ushered his people into a golden age of culture and literature.

A land where every soul could read and write.

Where all could learn the teachings of the wise.

October 11, 2021 16:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

145 comments

Ry Danto
12:23 Nov 11, 2021

The win is well deserved. I recently began researching about the history of Korea, so this story was timely. "The letters birthed..." That paragraph was beautiful. I kept re-reading it over and over.

Reply

Alex Sultan
05:16 Nov 12, 2021

Thank you for the kind words! It's nice to hear you're getting into Korea's history! I plan to write & research more on them when the right prompt comes up - they have a stellar past of overcoming adversity. There are many stories to be written. Thank you again, Ry.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel Roueche
01:33 Nov 10, 2021

You’ve got to be a linguist! Loved all the details about the workings of language and speech. This was a great history lesson for me as well. And very entertaining.

Reply

Alex Sultan
12:20 Nov 10, 2021

Thanks, Daniel. I'm glad I could teach something with this story - I was passionate about getting it right and had fun writing it. 읽어줘서 고맙습니다

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Writers Block
10:10 Nov 09, 2021

Good descriptive imagery

Reply

Show 0 replies
Gail Coleman
15:12 Nov 07, 2021

One thing I struggle with is being descriptive enough in a story. I am new to writing fiction and I very much admire your style. The details you offer-the book sliding into a mud puddle, the colors of the Queen's dress flowing behind her-those are so good! It is the difference between reading about someone and being a closer part of that world they are living in. Thank you for sharing your talent!

Reply

Alex Sultan
21:43 Nov 07, 2021

Thanks, Gail. I usually write fantasy/thrillers, so this story was very different from my usual style. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I was passionate about getting the imagery right and I'm glad it worked out.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Taylor Stepp
02:27 Nov 07, 2021

im happy that the people can read and write. i wouldnt like to think of a world where only the rich can read.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Susmita Ghosh
06:02 Nov 04, 2021

Wonderful read

Reply

Show 0 replies
Molly S
17:41 Nov 01, 2021

Incredible. This story illustrated the resilience and importance of education and language. Well done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
12:25 Oct 30, 2021

Not only I found the story enjoyable to read, but I also learned something I didn't know. Very well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lin Macredie
11:37 Oct 29, 2021

I like stories that spark interest in research and incite looking things up.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aya Alkhalaf
00:14 Oct 29, 2021

Wow, this is just absolutely phenomenal! You are such a great writer!

Reply

Aya Alkhalaf
00:16 Oct 29, 2021

If you won't mind, could you give feedback to my story...if possible... Here's the link: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/general/start-your-story-with-the-words-everything-was-rea/ I am still young but looking forward to be publishing books soon! (Anyone can edit..:))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michael Regan
17:14 Oct 27, 2021

Congratulations on the winning story. Easy to read, easy to understand, and historically accurate - the trifecta of historical fiction.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Uriah Churchill
00:18 Oct 27, 2021

Very well written

Reply

Show 0 replies
Emrys Oak
15:03 Oct 26, 2021

I love that you wrote historical fiction. I know that is hard, but you totally aced it! I could never even attempt to do what you did!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Zelda C. Thorne
09:12 Oct 26, 2021

Hey Alex! What a story. This is absolutely fantastic writing . Inspiring and fascinating. I've come across this interesting nugget of history before, but never would have managed to illustrate it as eloquently as this. Hats off to you. Congratulations!

Reply

Alex Sultan
15:26 Oct 26, 2021

Thank you, Rachel. I appreciate the kind words 😁 With Korean as my third language, I was really passionate about writing this and happy with how it turned out and all the positive reception. There's a lot more to write about with Korean history and I'm just waiting for the right prompt now. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Fiery Red
17:39 Oct 25, 2021

Hi Alex, Your story was interesting as well as informative. I came to know that Korean language have 28 alphabets and that Sejong designed it all. You wrote a good historical non-fiction in a few words, which I previously thought to be impossible. A well deserved win indeed. Congratulations!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aman Fatima
07:17 Oct 25, 2021

this is quite interesting, I've only read a few historical fiction stories but by far this is the most interesting. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
05:59 Oct 24, 2021

I thought as I started to read that this was going to be an allegory or YA, something of the feel of an Arabian Nights tale. And then it revealed its inner workings, a crafted piece of historical fact and gorgeous literary imagination. What wonderful images you evoked: His wife stood, her smile fading at the sight of seeing the king so tired. She hurried over and guided him to sit. Her dress, red and gold, flowed behind her. I found myself saying the sounds, smelling the incense, in this rich sensory feast. You have really raised the bar an...

Reply

Alex Sultan
16:12 Oct 25, 2021

Thank you for the kind words. This comment is so nice of you. This story is very different from what I usually write, and I'm really happy with it. Thank you for reading. I'm glad you liked it. 🙂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Paige Andrews
05:52 Oct 24, 2021

This is just fantastic, Alex!

Reply

Show 0 replies
01:53 Oct 24, 2021

Fantastic story, well written. Congratulations on the win.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sainath Reddy
19:07 Oct 23, 2021

Perfectly penned story Alex through historical context.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.