0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Drama

This story occurs in the Yala territory of planet Gaia2 which is earth’s twin but is still evolving, and is behind earth by about 800 years. The river Ubangi flowing in Yala made the place fertile. Agriculture flourished and people there were happy. In the region in which this story is sited there were two small kingdoms Nuttum and Ragala next to each other. The chief of Nuttum was Beira. One day as per custom, Beira summoned representatives of his people to make an important announcement:” I Beira, have this day crossed the age of 90. As you can all see, I’m still in good health though I’ve grown frail. I don’t know how more years are left for me. My wives are no more. You are aware that I produced 3 sons. The first two are dead. In keeping with our practice I announce that I leave my third son Duala who is now here by my side to take my place.”

Beira paused when Lobito, one of the representatives, spoke up: “Chief, we all know that there was a single kingdom Yala which broke apart resulting in two kingdoms Nuttum and Ragala. Our elders told us that Ragalas were bad people and we should’ve no contact with them. There is no intermarriage between people of the two kingdoms. That being so we heard that Duala had an affair with a girl Niamy who is from Ragala. It is even said he has a child through Niamy. As per our rules, a Nuttum who has partnered a Ragala is a renegade and betrayer who isn’t eligible to rule Nuttum and should be exiled. Let Duala deny what I have said. If he is guilty I request I be made the king of Nuttum.”

Beira said “I don’t know any Niamy and I’m surprised that Duala had an affair with her. I want to remind one truth to you people. People in Yala had been living together at peace but since about 4 generations ago, or approximately 120 years ago, their unity was disrupted and it was decreed that Nuttum should socially boycott Ragala and if someone betrayed the order he or she should be exiled forever. I’ll continue my talk after what Duala has to say in his defence.”

Duala said “Lobito has accused me of betrayal of our code. He has charged me with straying with Niamy. I must first confess that though I’m married, Niamy proved to be a great temptation. I did contact her in secret and she expressed her love for me. Now somebody who wanted to disrupt the unity of our people did some mischief. The bird Lulu* was sent to take me to Niamy in secret. I, who was in two minds about partnering Niamy, had made up my mind against it. I refused to mount the bird. I suspected it was a plan of Murzuq who is head of Ragala. As we all know Murzuq is a deadly practitioner of black magic. He was chief priest and he had overthrown the king of Ragala to ascend the throne. I understand he wants Nuttum and Ragala to again merge so that he has a bigger  territory under him. I was told that if I, the future king of Nuttum, had fallen into his trap by going over to Niamy’s place on Lulu, he would’ve imprisoned me and taken over Nuttum. That didn’t happen.”

Duala paused and continued “Niamy it seems personally knew Murzuq since the time he was high priest. She confessed to me that she had sent Lulu to bring me to her place without knowing Murzuq’s plans and I escaped. I suppressed my longing for Niamy. Suddenly one day, I was told that Niamy would come to me in secret at my cowshed the following night on Lulu around midnight and I was requested to receive her. I wondered if there was a plot of some kind against me once more! You may ask how communication was possible between Niamy and I. Her maid was eager to make money even in violation of the rule that people of the two kingdoms shouldn’t mix and was used as messenger. I had no idea at that time that it was Murzuq’s new plan of vengeance against me.”

I was in the cowshed the next night when Lulu brought Niamy. Lulu rested nearby leaving Naimy and I to be alone together. Niamy was smitten with love for me.” He paused and said “What I’ve to say next is embarrassing. I don’t know how to continue as there’re women and senior citizens like my father here.”

Beira said “All of us know what would happen between a lovelorn girl and an experienced man like you. Don’t be vulgar. Remember it is as if you’re on trial for betraying our people.”

Duala said “Niamy came in her usual dress which only covered her from waist down. She was desperate to be with intimate with me. She said that Murzuq had told her that once she was with child, she would be forgiven for consorting with a man from Nuttam, and allowed to remain a single parent but I had my misgivings. She used the haystack as bed and spurred me on in many ways but I remained hors d’combat. In great anger Niamy mounted Lulu and left. I was ashamed but then remembered that Murzuq was capable of casting spells. This could come as a surprise to you: After Niamy had left I found I was normal with my wife. That meant Murzuq’s spell had worked and he had had his revenge by humiliating me through Niamy. Niamy’s maid was confident that her mistress would surely be enceinte after the encounter with me in the cowshed and whispers erupted that Niamy was pregnant. In due course it was even said a child had been born to Niamy and me.”

Beira said “Thank you for not betraying our trust. Now I’ve something more to narrate. Why was Yala broken up into 2 separate kingdoms? The then king of Yala had been close to forest brigand Boma. Boma had discovered in a cave through which the Ubangi flows, gold dust washed down from the mountains. The two of them knew how to convert the dust into billets. The riches would benefit a smaller kingdom. A coup was engineered which led to the formation of Nuttum and Ragala. The cave through which the Ubangi flowed was in Ragala land which had been more prosperous than Nuttum. The wealth would benefit Nuttum more if Ragala could be annexed and if Yala was once more made to exist. As I speak our army is in action against Ragala. Murzuq has been deposed and taken into custody. I now find Lobito missing.”

An army man now came and spoke to Beira. Beira said “Lobito tried to escape but has been detained. He was an ally of Murzuq the black magic man. Our sources say Lobito had been promised to be made king of Nattum if Duala couldn’t ascend the Nattum throne due to charge of betrayal.”

Duala became ruler of Yala and took Niamy as his second wife, of course after proving himself with her!

END

*Lulu is the bird which can fly humans reading their minds.

February 02, 2021 12:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.