0 comments

Science Fiction

The dirt and debris from old buildings and who knows what else littered the ground. Fifteen-year-old Saxon Cooke looked around seeing if he could find anything salvageable in the abandoned but there was nothing. It was just like the other places he’d stumbled across. No food or clothing then again he would have been happy with just a tattered blanket but nothing. He tightened his grip on the straps of his navy blue backpack and continued to walk. He hadn’t even seen another human in days. Or maybe it was weeks? He couldn’t keep track of time very well anymore. Maybe he was the only person that was left on Earth. After that’s what he thought. He ran a hand through his messy red-brown hair. He continued to walk hoping he’d come across something soon. He wished he could listen to music once again. Honestly, he wished and just deeply wanted everything back to normal. Suddenly he heard a loud bang. Saxon dove down behind a large piece of rubble. He had to be cautious he was unsure of what made that noise than he heard a voice. “Dammit, there’s nothing here.” He peeked over the large piece of rubble he saw a figure in the distance. He sneaked closer to the figure. Seeing that it was a girl who couldn’t have been older than he was. She turned towards him he ran off to get cover again sliding and falling to the ground behind what seemed to be remains of an old car so quickly his canvas sneakers that were once white made a loud noise as they scraped against the ground. The girl turned towards him. He heard her footsteps growing closer. Knowing he couldn’t hide he stood up. The girl seemed shocked to see him. She had auburn hair that seemed a bit disheveled. She had a row of freckles across the bridge of her nose and brown eyes. She had a purple backpack with straps on both of her shoulders. He backed up a couple of steps wondering to himself if he’d have to make a run for it.”Are you-” The girl fumbled over her words but eventually managed to get out. “Are you a real person?” Saxon nodded she seemed like she was thinking this may have just been her mind playing games with her. He understood that one-hundred percent. Her brown eyes widened but she didn’t say anything.

“I’m Saxon Cooke.” 

“I’m Tinsley Rayeley.” 

They didn’t shake hands.

”Saxon, you wouldn’t happen to know where we are?” 

He shook his head.

 “No, I’ve just been walking trying to find necessities.”

 “Me too but the pickings are sparse.”

“I thought I was the only person left on Earth,” 

Saxon said still a tad shocked.

“So did I.”

“Do you think we should stick together.”

Tinsley shrugged.

“That’s probably best.”

Saxon and Tinsley began walking side by side.

“So Saxon how old are you?”

“Fifteen.”

“Me too.”

 “Oh cool.”

“Run into each other and we’re the same age we are so lucky!”

Tinsley said in a mock game show announcer voice.

Saxon tried to smile at her attempt at a joke but it was so forced it just came out as a wry grin.

No words were passed between Tinsley and Saxon for a little while as they walked.

They had just stopped at a fork in the road when Tinsley saw something gleaming out of the corner of her eye. Upon further inspection, she found it was some sort of knife. Saxon came over to where she was looking at it.“What did you find?” She showed it to him. “A folding switchblade?” “You know what it is?”  Saxon nodded explaining that his Dad had one. Tinsley handed it to him.

“You take it.”

Saxon’s eyebrows rose as he took it in his hands.

“You sure?”

“Yeah, I didn’t even know what it was.”

He put it in his backpack for safekeeping.

“It could be useful if it’s needed.”

Saxon said zipping his backpack shut. They choose to go left at the fork in the road and continued walking. When the sun finished setting and it was now night they settled down.

Saxon used his navy blue backpack as a pillow as he usually did. Tinsley did the same with her purple backpack. How much they would have loved to have a nice soft bed again with nice pillows and warm blankets. Tinsley and Saxon both knew it’d be some before that would happen again if it ever would happen again. Soon both teens fell into a restless sleep. When Tinsley and Saxon woke up the next morning the sun appeared as if it had just risen. Both of there backs ached from sleeping on the hard ground but that was the expected usual by now. Saxon and Tinsley grabbed their backpacks and started another day’s journey. After some walking and occasionally jogging. They reached another abandoned place which looked like it used to be a town at one point. After searching they managed to find two boxes of matches and a couple of old coats. Tinsley and Saxon each took a coat putting it on and took one box of matches each putting them away in there backpacks. They continued on your way. “Hey, Tinsley where are you from?” Her brown eyes met Saxon’s green ones. ”Why do you ask?” “I was thinking maybe if we both came from the same state it’d help us know where we are proximity wise.”

 “I’m from New York what about you?” Not from the same state Saxon thought sadly there goes the sliver of a chance of finding out where we are.“I’m from New Jersey.”  “Oh, do you miss it?” She asked Saxon.”I really miss my old life back in New York where…” Tinsley trailered off as she noticed Saxon wasn’t paying attention he jogged over to a storefront. Where there was something written in dark marker on the window. Tinsley and Saxon both read it.

To all survivors,

  I do not know how many will find and read this after you finish keep walking straight you’ll eventually see a bridge. Cross it and follow the path after the bridge along the way you’ll find something that’ll help you.

             -J.B.C.


    There was an arrow pointing right drawn under what Saxon and Tinsley assumed was the author’s signature. “Let’s go,” Saxon said looking right at Tinsley. Tinsley seemed a bit hesitant.

“What if it’s a trap or something or if there was anything out there it’s gone by now?”

“I’ll carry my switchblade in case it’d be foolish not to go.” Tinsley sighed still not convinced this was a good idea but it didn’t seem they had much to lose.“Okay, Saxon let’s go.” They headed right and walked off. Both of them hoping deeply that there was something along the path after the bridge that’d help them.







April 28, 2020 15:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.