1 comment

East Asian Mystery

"...and lower your head."

You tilt your head instead. After all, she isn't talking to you. You gaze over at the two kneeling strangers. Their heads are indeed lowered and their hands are on their knees. The one who reminded the other to "lower your head" is a woman or perhaps just a girl. It is hard to tell her age. Next to her is most definitely a younger boy. He is attempting to look up at you but apparently cannot fully see you as he is subtly trying to raise his chin just enough.

You step off the ledge and walk up to him, placing two fingers on the back of his head and use just enough pressure to ensure he is once again facing the ground. You can tell there is something strange about his hair. It feels odd. The girl next to him-- upon closer inspection she is rather young-- lets out a small gasp.

"You should listen to your elders little one. They know what's best for you."

The boy wrinkles his robes as he grasps at his knees. In anger or in anxiety you cannot tell. You walk up to the alter once again.

"The elder may speak."

She does not look up but follows your instructions.

"My brother and I have come to ask for your assistance."

You figured as much. You do not prod further, as she know this too,

Fidgeting, she slowly pulls out a jade necklace. "It's all we have." She supplies.

You lightly inspect the item from where you're standing. It isn't the monetary worth of the item you're interested in. Even from here, you can tell it doesn't meet the criteria. However, you've already been intrigued.

"Continue."

The girl begins to weave a story about their parents and their unfortunate demise. It isn't a unique story. Many others have some to your temple with similar grievances. Instead you look over at the boy. He is dangerously willful. He attempts to look up at you again. The sister may have her wits about her, but the boy is either too stupid or too young to follow her lead. The question is: why can't he?

The only reason you are here at all, giving two children your time, is because they have unknowingly proposed a fun game for you. It is respectful to not look you in the eyes, yes. It isn't required either.

You are the God of Vengeance. You have two rules:

Bring your most valued possession in exchange.

Be willing to die for your cause.

Perhaps... the sister believes the boy isn't willing? Maybe the sister feels you won't know if you don't look the boy in the eyes. It would be an interesting play. You can tell, of course. He is willing. However, you can also tell his will is wavering. Maybe this is what the sister is trying to hide.

Then again, why would she lower her head? Her will is strong. She will die for her cause. Again and again.

They are trying to trick you, but what is the trick?

You hum along to her story as you ponder. Perhaps this will give you some clues.

It goes as such: Their parents worked with little time for sleep and for too little money to eat. They didn't have just one evil employer. The world was their evil employer. They approached anyone they could for money. Tailors, cooks, cleaners. They could do anything for a day, and it always ended the same. One day, the found the wrong employer. This person offered more money, but it wasn't for their efforts, it was for their lives.

"I want the demise of the ones who placed this curse on us."

Oh.

"I am sorry to tell you, but there is no curse." You tell her.

She closes her eyes and takes a long inhale.

"There is. Our mother told us there is. She wouldn't lie."

Oh but she would. You think you just might've solved the puzzle.

"Neither would I," you assure.

The boy shouts.

"Our mother would never lie to us!"

He is looking up. You see it now, in its entirety.

"She didn't lie. She believed it."

Mortals are so... vain? Greedy? You can't tell just what it is that inspires them to be this way. You had a feeling, ever since the boy attempted to look at you, that it had something to do with the red eyes.

It isn't overly strange. Actually, what makes it more interesting is there isn't a shock of white hair. But you are a god, you'd know if there was a curse. But no one you met with these peculiarity was ever cursed. Humans could look all sorts of odd ways, it was just how they were.

You are about to dismiss them when you pause. You have forgotten something.

They are trying to trick you but what is the trick?

There is a trick.

The boy quickly discovers his error and looks back down.

"You mention your mother," you deduce, "What about your father?"

The sister begins to reiterate her story, "Our parents worked--"

You cut her off, "You said your mother wouldn't lie to you. Would your father?"

She grows quiet.

You sigh:

"I have no children. I am afraid you won't find what you're looking for here."

You can practically feels the waves of frustration as the girl presses her sleeve to her face to quickly dry tears. The boy speaks again.

"Mother wouldn't lie. She said--"

"...your father placed a curse on you. She didn't..."

You close your eyes and, for once, you feel sadness for their story.

"Look up at me," you say in a cool tone.

The siblings do not look up. For once, even the boy isn't tempted.

"I said look up," you demand.

They finally follow your directions. You're faced with beyond pale skin, so pale your can see the veins beneath them.

"Your mother, she didn't mean it literally. You will live a hard life, and in part it will be the fault of your father. She indeed died too early. Your mother felt you were too young to understand why you look the way you do."

You tap your head.

"Your hair. It isn't your real hair. Its your most prized possession. And you wanted to trick me into destroy myself. You have not only broken my rules, but tried to threaten my life."

The sister began to inch in front her her brother. Both tremble.

You raise a hand.

"However, you have greatly entertained me. And I suppose I can't fault children for only knowing what their mother told them. You have inherited your appearance from your father. That is all. There is no curse. I will ignore your misdeeds if you leave now."

The two scramble to their feet and flee the temple. They even leave behind the necklace. You get up and sate your curiosity one last time.

It is almost the most shocking part of the day: it's real. Where would these children of a poor, single mother get a real jade necklace?

You hum in contemplation. There is most certainly much their mother didn't tell them.

They never cease to interest you. You'll keep on eye on the two.

May 18, 2024 03:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Darvico Ulmeli
08:32 May 24, 2024

Nice story. The ending left some questions to be answered. Overall, good job.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.