0 comments

General

Katy shot a glare at Claire. “I’ve been waiting for over an hour.” Claire sighed, “My dress got caught in the elevator,” then spun around, “speaking of clothing, like my new outfit?” Katy rolled her eyes, “I was never talking about clothes. You were. Come on, we’re almost late. I don’t want to miss the Spiderman trailer.” she said as she pulled Claire. Though the school nerd still had much time before the movie, she couldn’t help but want to see all the ads in the theater.

Nobody knows why these two people with opposite personalities would become best friends. Though they don’t always hang out together, this pair of best friends could never be broken. Katy was always the straight-A student, so Claire would always get some help on her homework, for she was an A+ student when it comes to fashion. The two are good at different things, and help each other out in their best. For example, Claire would help Katy with her looks, then Katy would help Claire with homework. Claire was always late, but Katy never missed a beat.

Back in the theater, the two girls both enjoyed the movie. Claire’s make-up messed up during the sad part and Katy’s shorts pulled during the most hilarious parts. The two walked out of the cinema looking like the sisters of Shreck, crying tears of joy. Suddenly, Katy straightened up and looked at her watch. “Uh-oh, it’s eight-thirty already! We still have school tomorrow, and it’s past my bedtime!” This wasn’t new to Claire. Katy set up her bedtime, her sports-game parents never cared about it. “Time for me to go home too,” Claire thought. Her parents never forced her but would get kind of upset when she wasn’t home by nine. The two opposite best friends also had opposite parents too. Katy was a bookworm, but her parents were always watching sports. Claire’s parents are peaceful, never yelling or getting excited, while Claire was a high-school fashionista and president of the drama club.

The next morning, Katy ran over to Claire with tears in her eyes. “Claire, someone spilled blue paint on my new book!” Katy said, tears running down her cheeks. Trying to comfort her friend, Claire suddenly turned into a drama queen, “Oh, the tragedy, the pressure! We need to stop the bully, quick before he moves on to other people’s books as well!” Claire put her hand on her heart and walked dramatically in circles. Everyone around her looked at her like she was an idiot. Well, she did look like one. Then, the school bell rang. Katy ran to homeroom while Claire fixed up her tear-stained make-up. 

Mrs. Reiger looked at Claire, “Late again?” Everyone knew Mrs. Reiger could not stand her students being late, she would go hysterical. Claire was used to this and replied, “Darling, I had to look beautiful for my favorite teacher, see, I used your favorite color of eyeshadow today, and brought you a Paris palette too.” “Why don’t you act like your best friend Katy? She’s never late whatsoever. Now, go sit down.” Everyone gazed at Claire. Just today, she’s become another class’ queen. 

“How do you do that?” asked Katy during their five-minute break. “Do what?” Claire said, rejecting boys trying to ask her out over the phone. “You overcame the Monster.” “Oh. I bribed her,” replied Claire now picking mothballs off her sweater. Katy sighed. She wasn’t that type of person. Bribing was never her thing, she couldn’t even bribe her cat. Just then, Claire cried, “Oh, the tragedy! The lack of peace!” she stopped in a dramatic pose, the began again, “Benjamin and Ariana are fighting again! Their relationship is on the rocks!”  

The rest of the day went by quickly, and the girls decided to meet after school that day. After dinner, Claire went up to her room to rest and change. She was almost asleep when her phone beeped. The meeting! She forgot about it! She wept into her pillow and cried, “I’m the worst friend ever! Katy must be so lonely and cold on this warm, August evening!” Claire jumped into some stylish slackers and ran to their secret meeting place…...where there she saw that Katy was not to be seen. “Oh no! I lost her! It’s all my fault!” Her phone! Claire dialed Katy’s number with flying fingers only to find her phone was turned off. Claire ran to Katy’s house, where she could hear her parents’ television on full volume. She knocked on the door loudly, hoping for an answer. Mrs. Jackson opened the door and said, “What do you….” But was cut off by Claire’s frantic and dramatic voice, “HaveyouseenKatyIthinkIlostherI’msosorrypleasedon’ttellanyone!” Katy’s mom looked at her weirdly, “Whaddya mean? Ya tellin’ me the Katy upstairs ain’t real?” “Katy’s home?” “Well, I’m kinda havin’ second thoughts now.” Claire bumped into Mrs. Jackson on the way to the stairs as she zoomed into Katy’s room. She opened the door with a loud BANG! and found Katy sleeping in her twin bed with animals around her like security guards. Katy jumped up as soon as Claire opened the lights, examining her best friend all around her body to make sure it was the real Katy. “Stop touching me, Claire.” “I’m soooooo sorry! I was so late, you suffered in our secret hideout shivering and lonely, right?” Katy looked at Claire and raised an eyebrow. “No, as soon as it was my bedtime, I came back home.” Claire twirled around. “Speaking of clothing, like my new slackers?” Katy rolled her eyes. “I was never talking about clothing. I never talk about it.” “Time to go home, almost my bedtime.” The two friends promised not to be late tomorrow to finish the assignment the next day and whoever showed up late had to eat a mustard banana. A combo of their least favorite food.

The next day, Claire set an alarm fifteen minutes before the meeting so she could get ready. When the alarm rang, she jumped into her favorite skirt, brushed mascara carelessly with one hand as she put on lipstick with the other. She decided she was NOT going to eat those nasty food inventions. Claire ran to their secret hideout, expecting to see Katy already there, but she was nowhere to be seen. Fifteen minutes went by, and Katy finally ran into the tent, breathing hard. She was in a dress, the first Claire’s ever seen. Katy looked very dramatic and struck a pose that was supposed to be Claire’s. “I’m sorry I was late, my dress got caught in the elevator.” Claire’s eyes bulged out of her head. It was the first time Katy had been late! “Well, there’s a first time for everything.” Claire thought.



July 09, 2020 15:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.