0 comments

Christmas Crime Fiction

Hey Joe Crumble here, sitting at my usual coffe cafe, reading my newspaper like I usually do on my saturday mornings. "one coffe" I ask the waitress. Yep, just my usual coffe and usual newspaper on my usual saturday.

Hey there, did i mention I am a investigator for Natashafalls? Yep! Yes indeed and not only do i work as an investigator, I live that life when I'm not on the job. Yes! Because crime dosn't stop, so my job is never done.

As I eye in on my newspaper, i notice a ADD that is very unusual, unlike my coffee... A unsual ADD that states " Catch the guy who broke in 'Angel's Bakery' and stole Important Item: REWARD $$$"

This got me off guard because who in Natashafalls would rob a bakery?

My impulse took in and grabbed ahold of me. I took my cell phone out my suit pocket and dialed the number described.

"Yes is this Angel's Bakery'? I'm Investigator detective Joe Crumble." I made arrangements to meet the owner at 12pm.

"Hi, are you 'Angel?"

The baker looks around to make sure there wasn't any customers and, then he put up the "closed" sign on his door.

"Mr. Angel, please show me where it happend?"

He gestures back to his office. He then points to the "Hidden" safe that wasn't so "Hidden" anymore.

"You mean to tell me someone broke your floor boards to get this safe? What did they steal that was in a Bakery?"

"Sugar..."

"Sugar, Mr. Angel?"

"Yes sugar, but not just any sugar. It is the most rarest sugar in the world!"

"Okay! I am a detective and crime wont sleep, so neither will I! Tell me what happend before the break-in last night?"

"As you may already know this was my grandpa's shop years ago, he recently retired. This shop is passed way down several generations and at least 1 out of 5 people of my family are named "Angel."'

"Whoa, Mr. Angel that is interesting."

"Anywhoo... my family has a traditon that every time a NEW family member takes over the bakery, we MUST enter the competion of the holiday festivale. We have never once lost."

I was writing down my notes on my favorite yellow note pad and then I stopped mid-sentence. "You mean NEVER EVER??"

"Yes sir Mr. Crumble, 'Never-ever' lost once. My grandfather changed our last name to Angel so the traditon could continue and people of our family line wouldn't have to name their child "Angel", unless they wanted. My mother became greedy and named me "Angel, Angel" so i would be chosen."

"Wow! Well, that explains your unusual name but not the rare sugar that was stolen, mind elaborating on that?"

"The rare sugar has been our secret ingredient in the holiday festivale baking contest for over 100 years and, that is how we never lost! My friend Dale wanted to work in the shop and be a part of our tradition. Ever since he was a kid he wanted to and, he waited 10 years. When we were old enough, he was rejected and turned away since he wasn't actual family."

"Poor Dale."

"I know."

"I tried to calm Dale down that day but, he swore his revenge. I have suspicion that it was him."

"Mr. Angel? was there anyone else who was upset with you?? it is too early to suggest that this is the guy who stole it." I said

"Well, now that you mention it , my wife 'Lovely Angel'... or rather my ex-wife." Angel grabbed a rag to dry his tears. This was getting interesting . I needed to know every detail in order to be a good investigator.

"Tell me about miss 'lovely Angel'." I said.

Angel sighs and then says. "She didn't think life with me was exciting enough. She wanted more in life. She knew we had something valuable in our bakery but, she didn't know what it was."

I stand up and pack my notes in my breif case. "Thank you for your time Mr. Angel."

I left feeling drained after our convo at 'Angel's Bakery'. I went to my office in the west end of Natashafalls. I did my research and then made a call.

"Lovel Angel?"

"who is it? What do you want?"

"I'm investigator Joe Crumble of Natashafalls."

"Is this about my ex?"

"Yes, mame, please tell me what you know?"

"Okay, so what? I heard about his break- in. What does this have to do with me? He never did let me bake cookies in his bakery cus he knew I was better of a baker than he ever was!! so I left and went to my moms in Portreel! I got to go now, is that all you want?!"

"Ok miss Lovely, I wont bother you anymore. Thank you for your time."

something was bothering me ... other than miss Lovely's ill temper and crankiness over the phone. Didn't Angel say she left him due to life being too boring or something?

Our town really is a lover of ALL things CHRISTMAS! So it was no surprise to me when Angel's friend Dale, wanted to meet at his house, that happend to be located on Santa Lane. I get out of my vehicle after the drive over, and then knock on his front door.

"Mr. Dale Refri? This is Natashafalls Investigator, Joe Crumble. You told me to meet your here at your house."

Dale creaks the door open slowly and nervously chuckles, "come on in."

"Thank you, my notes refer you as Angel's friend, is that correct."

Dale smiles and says "Yes, want some tea?"

"Why thank you! Sure! Why not?"

He pours me some Hot tea and hands me a plate of brownies.

"Mr.Refri..."

"Oh, please call me Dale?" He corrects.

"Okay... Mr. ... Uhh.... Dale? Do you know anything about the break in?" I questioned.

He stands up and starts to shake. He then drops his cup of tea that splashes over his carpet floor. Then Dale begins to Yell out..

"Okay! I confess! I was upset! I stole it! I wasn't allowed to work with my BEST FRIEND. I made a plan to cover up my tracks too! I waited untill Angel went on a mini vacation and broke in his bakery at night. I looked everywhere untill i found it . It took me 3 hours. Angel said I wasn't allowed to work with him so i took my revenge... and..."

"So, Dale you admit to stealing the rare and expensive sugar? you do relise I now have to call the police?' I explained

"What? Sugar? HA! No! I stole his favorite pen! HAHAHA! Now how will he write down his orders?" Dale Laughs.

"He could buy new pens from a store? Dale Refri? Tell you what... if you keep feeding me these delicious brownies then, I will let you go with a warning." I give Dale a wink.

"Okay" Dale laughs again and hands me more brownies. He went to grab a towel to clean up the tea spill.

"Investigator Crumble? Angel always liked my brownies too! He always joked that he wont let me enter them into the holiday baking competition." Dale says.

"Wait! Dale? Did you say competition for the holiday?"

"Yes! I make good brownies don't I? Angel never was good at baking, so I don't know why we was given the family bakery."

I nod my head in agreement and say. " I don't know either, but i do know who stold the rare, expensive sugar!"

Dale lookes at me with absolute shock. "But i stole only his pen."

"No time to explain! I got to go Mr. Refri!" I set down the plate of brownies on his coffe table and head out the door. Could it be? Why didn't I think of this before?

I drive straight back to the bakery. Mr. Angel was waiting for me there. "Didn't I tell you?! It was Dale ! Lock him up!" He claims.

"Mr. Angel? It was you whom stole it! Dale Refri only took your favorite pen!" I accuse.

" I was wondering where that went... what do your mean .. ME?" The police officers enter the bakery... "Is This a joke? I Own this shop! No!" Angels starts to get frusterated.

Mr. Angel, you were upset with your mom for naming you "ANGEL", You hated that everyone in your life was better at baking than you. So much that you lied about your Ex-wife and your best friend. So while you went of your vacation with your mom... you left early and came back to Natashafalls. Then you took the sugar."

Mr. Angel glared at me and put his hands on his hips not convinced of what I was saying.

"Dale told me you were on a mini-vacation... thats how i knew."

Mr. Angel smiles and crosses his arms now. "SO ? What?" He demands .

" You didn't want to fail the contest this year and everyone wanted you to win, but you knew everyone else was better at baking than you. You ended up being the theif!" I say.

" I can not steal something if it is from my own bakery! HA! Can't arrest me for that!" Angel mocks at me.

"No, but that sugar didn't belong to you. You see, Mr. Angel that sugar belongs to your mom. Your mom didn't give you the family expensive, rare sugar. That is because your were not good at baking." I smile ear to ear because, at this point I know I am right.

Angel then smirks and looks around in non-belief. "Oh? on contrar Mr. Crumble? You have no proof . Where is your proof?"

"Yes Mr. Angel . You are absolutely right. Where is my proof you ask? ... ohh misss Silva Angel?" I look behind the officers and signal his mom to come over. "Mind explaining that this sugar is yours?"

Angel had fear take over and he froze in disbelief. "MOM?"

"Arrest my son!" His mom looks away with disapointment and walked out.

The police arest him . He was later sentenced with "Grand Theft Bakery."

... I go back to my coffe cafe that I love so much. I order my usual coffe, and read my usual newspaper. With me, Natashafalls Investigator Joe Crumble... I solve another case. "Cus thats the way the cookie crumbles."

THE END

December 07, 2020 21:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.