0 comments

Fiction Funny Holiday

It was a beautiful, sunny day as Nathan walked down the street. Yet still, something was off. He continued to look around as he walked, seemingly being extra cautious. He took in a deep breath as he mumbled to himself. “You’ll be okay. Nothing to worry about. Nothing to fear. No one's going to try anything. April first is just any other day.”

“Hey! Nathan! Wait up!” A man in seemingly his early to mid-twenties ran up to him. “Dude! Are you ready for our big show tonight? We finally got a gig in a decent establishment! It’s that club downtown that always has those cover bands that play nineties grunge songs! Lucas got us a spot in the band roster and the manager said he’d be happy to have us play!” The man smiled up at him. This was Carson. He was their bassist. His twin brother Sean was their pianist who also played other instruments when needed. Lucas was their lead singer and lead guitarist who also had the idea for the band. Nathan was the drummer.

Nathan hesitated a moment and thought to himself. It’s a trick. Carson would do something like that. He’s such a joker. Well I’m not falling for it this year! He forced a smile. “Yeah! Can’t wait. Listen, I have to go. I have, uhm,” He paused. “A date! With my girlfriend! Don’t want to keep her waiting!” He laughed nervously before speeding off.

Carson raised an eyebrow. “Girlfriend? I thought he had a thing for my sister.” He shrugged. “Whatever. His business is his business. At least he is keeping his hands off my sister.” He huffed and walked off.

Nathan sped down the sidewalk and slowed down once he was far enough away. “That was close. He could have gotten me.” He rolled his eyes. “Like we’d get a gig at a place like that. They’d never even let us in the door.” Nathan sighed and looked around. “Just have to make it through today. Make it through and you’ll be safe for another year.” He kept walking. "Man, I could have just told him I had work. It wouldn't have been a lie." He sighed. "I am not good at excuses." He pushed open the door to his workplace.

A few hours later, Nathan was still at work and sighed as he tried to keep his cool. Too many pranks could be pulled in this environment. He got a text from Lucas as he went to clock out. 

“Hey, man. Drop by my house after work. We need to practice for our gig tonight.” 

Nathan stared at his phone. “So Lucas is in on it, too? I bet Sean won’t be. Sean hates pranks and stuff like that.” He dialed Sean’s number as he walked home. He waited as the phone rang.

“It’s done. I killed him.” Sean spoke as he answered the phone.

Nathan paled slightly. “What? But you can’t have killed anybody! You’re still in college! You’re studying to be a doctor! What if they catch you? Your life would be over!”

Sean raised an eyebrow. “Dude, I’m joking. That’s how I always answer the phone.” 

Nathan deadpanned. “Oh. My bad. Sorry I over reacted.” He paused. “Wait, how come I’ve never heard you answer like that?”

Sean chuckled a bit. “You never call me, man.”

Nathan nodded. “Did you hear about the gig tonight? At that grunge club downtown?”

Sean sighed. “Yeah. I have to change around my plans, but I’ll be able to make it just in time. When Carson told me, at first I thought he was just joking with me, but he was serious.”

Nathan looked down. “I see.” He sighed softly. “I thought better of you, Sean. Partaking in this tomfoolery.”

Sean shook his head a bit. “What are you talking about? What tomfoolery?”

Nathan huffed. “This whole gig thing! It is obviously an elaborate April Fools prank that Carson laid out for me, and you are going right along with him!”

Sean sighed. “Nathan. It’s not a-” 

Nathan hung up on him and put his phone away. “I’m just going to go home and spend the rest of the day there. Things will be better tomorrow.” He walked back to his house.

A few hours later, it was about nine-o-clock and Nathan got a call as he was sitting on the couch. It was Lucas. “Dude! Where the hell are you? We’re on in five!” There was the sound of a loud crowd in the background.

Nathan gasped. “Wait, you weren’t pranking me?”

Lucas frowned. “Of course we weren’t! Get over here!” He hung up.

Nathan jumped to his feet and ran into his bedroom. He threw on a decent outfit and put on his boots. He grabbed his drumsticks and his phone. As he ran down the street he kept checking the time. There was no way he would make it in time. As he ran up to the backstage entrance, the bouncer stopped him. “Woah, buddy. You can’t come back here.”

Nathan tried to catch his breath. “But I’m. Drummer. Band. Playing now.” He breathed a bit heavily as he looked at the bouncer. “I’m Nathan Rogers!”

The bouncer blinked. “Oh! I’m sorry! They’re waiting on you in there, kid!” He let him pass.

Nathan ran in and saw his buddies out on the stage. “Hey!” He ran out and sat at the drums. “Sorry I’m late!”

Carson laughed a bit. “It’s about time, dude!”

Lucas smiled and looked at him. “Dude why did you think we were joking?”

Nathan raised an eyebrow. “It’s April Fools Day.”

Sean chuckled. “No it isn’t, it’s the second.”

Nathan looked at Sean. “Wait, is it really?” Sean nodded in response. Nathan sighed. “Man, I slept that long? I didn’t mean to.”

Lucas smiled. “That’s okay.” He leaned into the microphone. “So who’s ready to hear what we can do?” The crowd cheered. “Awesome! We are Midnight Chord and this is a little song we call, Fool Me Second!” The crowd cheered as they began to play. The long day was finally paying off, especially for Nathan.

April 01, 2021 15:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.