26 comments

Drama

The stars were shining bright in the night sky as Henry and Edith Wilson shared a cup of tea on their back porch. Their hearts were filled with joy as they watched their ten year old Granddaughter run around the yard trying to catch lighting bugs with an old mason jar. Their old farmhouse home on Rosemary Lane was the envy of the neighborhood with perfectly trimmed grass, flower beds that looked like a blessing from Heaven, and a big beautiful oak tree that stood in the middle of their backyard.

Jenny was visiting for the weekend while her parents were away on a business trip. This happened quite often but the Wilson’s didn’t mind because it gave them more time to spend with their darling Angel. Henry reached down to grab another sip of tea and as the sweet warm liquid filled his mouth a thought occurred to him. He quickly looked at Edith and said, “It’s a shame that these young folks today have to live to work.”  Edith knew what he was going to say, so she finished his thought, “I know, in our time we had to work to live.” 

Henry smiled, and put his cup of tea down. “Things have changed so much. We used to work a full day and still have time for fun,” Henry said. Edith nodded her head in agreement. After all, she heard this speech before and she knew it was best to let him finish his line of thinking. This kind of acknowledgment came from decades of being together. 

Realizing the time was growing late Edith called out to Jenny, “Come along now darlin’ it’s time for cake.” 

“Oh...Just a little longer, please!” cried Jenny.

“Mind your Grandma now, and do as she tells you,” Henry said. “You don’t want to let this wonderful carrot cake go to waste now, do you?” 

Jenny didn’t utter another word. Carrot cake was her favorite, complete with mouth watering white frosting that was so moist it would just melt in your mouth. No one could say no to Grandma’s carrot cake. She quickly ran over and sat down at the patio table ready to dig into that delicious goodness. 

Henry rose up and gave a gentle kiss on Jenny’s forehead. Then he walked over to Edith and bent down to give her a kiss on the lips. “I’m off to bed my beautiful ladies,” he said. Edith looked at him and asked, “You’re not going to have any cake?” Henry walked over to the backdoor and said, “No, not tonight. I’m a little tired so I thought I would get a head start for a new day.” He turned around and looked at them both. With a warm smile, he said, “I love you both, good night and sweet dreams.” 

   Edith looked as though she saw a ghost, and Jenny was quick to ask, “What’s wrong Grandma?” Her attention turned to Jenny after a long moment of silence. “Oh it’s nothing dear. It’s just not like him to go to bed so early.” She watched as Jenny devoured the cake. With white frosted lips Jenny asked,  “Can I ask you something Grandma?” 

“You can ask me anything you want, darlin’,” she said. 

“How did you and Grandpa meet?” Jenny asked.

Edith raised her eyes to look at the glowing blanket of stars and said, “Well darling, we met back in High School…”

At that moment, time seemed to stand still as reflections of old memories began to flow back to her. The rush of emotions overtook her for a moment. A single tear began to flow down her wrinkled face. “What’s wrong Grandma?” asked Jenny.

“Nothing is wrong darlin’...I’m just remembering fond memories.” 

Jenny, now rocking back and forth in her chair said, “Well, tell me. I really want to know.” Edith’s eyes met Jenny’s as she began her story:

“It was the late fifties, and I remember one particular day where I was running late for class. I couldn’t get my locker open, because it had a tendency to stick. It took me several minutes, but eventually I got it opened. I quickly grabbed my books and a strange note fell to the floor.”

“What did it say Grandma?” Jenny asked. 

“I’m getting there if you would just let me finish, darlin’,” 

Edith sat back in her chair and placed her hands on her lap. She continued with her story. “I grabbed the note, and rushed off down the hall to get to class. I was late again, and after a good lecture from Mr. Harpin I took my seat. The class was dragging on, so I decided to read this mysterious note.”

My dearest Edith,

Like the rising sun, you have emblazoned my heart. You’re beautiful eyes transport me to another world where only love exists. Won’t you join me there? 

I passionately yearn for your tender embrace, a powerful kiss, and to feel the warmth of your grace. Won’t you join me there?

Love Remains.

“That’s a very good note Grandma,” Jenny said, “did Grandpa write that to you?” Edith sighed deeply and leaned forward. “Are you going to let me finish this story or not, darlin’?” Jenny sat back in her chair and crossed her arms, “Yes, Grandma.” 

“My mind started to race with excitement. I had no idea who wrote it. Everyday I found a new letter hidden in my locker that was equally as brilliant as the first one. They were all signed Love Remains.”

Jenny interrupted, “What did they say?”

“Jenny! Do you want me to finish this story or not?”

“OK!!” Jenny yelled.

“I don’t remember what they all said, but they were all beautiful. I suspected that Jack Miller had written them, because he was the best writer in our English class. I didn’t know anyone else who could write like that.

Everyday at English class I found myself staring at Jack. He noticed my eyes on him a few times, and I think it made him feel uncomfortable because he kept giving me weird looks. So the thought occurred to me that maybe he didn’t write those notes afterall. My mind started to race again trying to figure out who wrote them.

One day Carrie, one of the school bullies was giving me a hard time. I had just opened my locker, and she snuck up behind me and slammed it shut. I was so angry that we started to fight. We both fell to the ground pulling each other’s hair when a boy named Ben came to my rescue. He pulled us apart before things could get worse.

Ben was completely crazy about me ever since that day. He saw himself as my big hero. I spent some time with him, but quickly realized that he was too stupid to write those beautiful letters. He thought he owned me, and that I was his girl. One day after school I decided to confront him about this. We got into a big argument and he said I was a loser, so I slapped him across the face as hard as I could. He got very angry and shoved me to the ground. I was afraid because he was still coming towards me.

At that moment a handsome young man tackled Ben to the ground and punched his lights out. He looked at me and reached for my hand to help me up. As my hand touched his I felt sparks. An instant connection. As my eyes met his he said, It’s alright, love still remains. It was Henry, your Grandpa, and ever since that moment we have loved each other with a passion that the cold winters of life could never extinguish. Even to this day.”

Jenny clapped her hands and said, “That was a wonderful story. I loved it.”

“I’m glad you did darlin’,” Edith said. 

Jenny thought for a moment and asked, “What ever happened to Ben?”

Edith laughed and said, “Ben spent the rest of that school year missing his front teeth. He was picked on by the other kids so badly that his parents put him in a different school. I never saw him again.”

Jenny started laughing hysterically. Edith waited for her to calm down and said, “Come on darlin’ let’s get you ready for bed.” She took Jenny into the guest room making sure that she brushed her teeth and was all cleaned up and ready for bed. Edith tucked her in, wishing her a very good night. 

When Edith went into her own bedroom, she found Henry passed out on the floor. She screamed so loud that Jenny came running in. “Call 9-1-1, right now!!” Edith cried. A few minutes later the EMT’s arrived and rushed Henry to the hospital. He was alive but barely. 

Henry arrived at the hospital unconscious, and was struggling to breath. The doctor’s told Edith and Jenny that Henry had suffered a heart attack. Edith stayed by his side the entire night and cried herself to sleep in a green uncomfortable chair that sat next to his bed. She felt scared and alone, not knowing if he was going to pull through. Meanwhile, Jenny called her parents and fell asleep in the waiting area that was close by. 

Edith awoke suddenly to a nurse telling her she needed to leave the room because Henry was suffering another heart attack. They rushed her out of the room, and Edith made her way to Jenny. She had a sense of dread as the minutes ticked by. It was like an evil foreign presence that was sucking the life from her soul. Moments later, Doctor Lee came out to talk with them. 

“Is he alright?” Edith asked.

Doctor Lee looked at her with an overwhelming sense of emotion. “I’m afraid he didn’t make it.”

Edith refused to accept the truth, and cried out, “Let me see him, let me go to him. Please...let me see him.”

Doctor Lee took her hand and led her back into the room. “We did everything we could...If you need anything please let us know,”  he said.

Doctor Lee placed his hand on her shoulder and said, “I’m sorry for your loss,” and left her alone to grieve. 

Edith looked over at Henry. He looked like he was sleeping, but he was devoid of all life. She slowly walked towards him and grabbed his hand. She was overcome with emotion. She knelt down on the floor, kissed his hand and prayed.

“Please God...don’t take him away from me now. I love him. I can’t live without him.” 

She couldn’t find any more words to say. She pulled Henry’s hand to her face and sobbed. At that moment, Edith felt a warm rush of air and a soft whisper that sounded like Henry’s voice. Love remains.  

She stopped crying and opened her eyes. She felt Henry squeeze her hand. Edith looked at Henry’s face as he opened his eyes, and love still remains.

The End

Daniel R. Hayes

February 13, 2021 00:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

26 comments

Michael Boquet
19:04 Feb 15, 2021

This story is both fun and touching. I like the energy at the beginning, that shifts to strong emotion at the end. Nice surprising climax, love the happy ending. Great work. My only (minor) critique is, I found all the "darlins" became very repetitive. Perhaps switch some of them out for the girl's name, or sweetheart, or honey, etc.. Darlin was a nice touch at first, but got old before I reached the end.

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
19:19 Feb 15, 2021

Thank you for reading my story and the great feedback. I put the darlin' in there because my Grandma used to call everyone that, and I wanted that to represent her way of speaking. She never called anyone by their given names, it was always darlin'. I can see how that can be annoying, so I appreciate that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cole Lane
16:05 May 29, 2021

So I dug deep into your work looking for something I think that you probably wouldn't normally write genre-wise? This was amazing, I got the sense that something was going to happen when Henry was too tired for carrot cake! Nobody is ever too tired for carrot cake! :) I'm like Jenny, drop the questions already, something bad is happening in the other room. lol! You really do have the skill of building tension, even in a non-action story like this. The stories about the letters and how their relationship blossomed, built that deep connection ...

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
16:28 May 29, 2021

Thank you so much Cole, it's comments like these that make me feel good about writing!! :) This was one of those stories where I tried to write something different. I do have some on there. I'm really proud of "The Lost Smile" and some other one's but my true love is horror. This story was based loosely on my Grandparents relationship, but I twisted it to make the story work ;) Thank you again, it means a lot!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristin Neubauer
20:52 Mar 11, 2021

So beautiful! Once again, like in your horror stories, you do such a great job of foreshadowing the big moment and building the tension. I also loved ending - so open to interpretation. Was Henry literally still alive? Was it his spirit? A miracle? Edith's imagination? There are times when I need a nicely buttoned up ending, but what you came up with here was absolutely perfect - ethereal and magic and poignant. It's really great to see how you can change up your genre and style - I think that all works toward building on your writing...

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
23:26 Mar 11, 2021

Hi Kristin, thank you for your wonderful comments. Your wonderful words make me feel like I'm on cloud 9, which is fantastic and scary at the same time because I'm afraid of heights, lol. Seriously though, I respect you a lot and your words mean a lot to me. I think your such a great writer and your so talented. I'm glad you liked this story. It was inspired by my own Grandparents, but I changed it up to make it work. I like trying to write different genres. I think it's fun and challenging.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

I felt such dread when Henry went to bed. I just felt something was going to happen, then it did. The way you described their relationship was amazing. It was a great bit sad story. Well done!!!

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
21:20 Feb 24, 2021

Thank you for reading my story. I'm so glad you liked it. I'll be sure to check out your stories as well.

Reply

Thank you, I appreciate that.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Thank you, I appreciate that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Eddie Thawne
00:40 Feb 24, 2021

I fell in love with the story right from the title. It was beautifully written. Great job. Well done!

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
01:37 Feb 24, 2021

Thank you so much Eddie. I'm glad you liked it. Thanks for reading my story. I'll be sure to read you stories as well.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kylie Rudolf
05:42 Feb 21, 2021

Aww, this story was so sweet. The beginning alone is my description of heaven. The loving tender dialogue is the very definition of love. The ending, how do I even describe pure emotion? It was just perfect. Edith and Henry are the most romantic couple I have ever read of. Their love is not material, it is not give and take, it is not petty or insignificant. The fact that they continue to love each other as passionately as they did on the day they first met is just amazing. It is my dearest wish for the earth that everyone can be loved as Ed...

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
06:19 Feb 21, 2021

Thank you so much Kylie, I'm glad you liked the story. I typically write horror, or stories with a twist, so this was something different I wanted to try. I would have to agree with you that I think the earth would be better if everyone loved like Edith and Henry. I was inspired to write a good love story, but I wanted it to be different than the other ones that I've read. Your comments really made my day, and I'll be sure to check out your stories as well. Thanks again.

Reply

Kylie Rudolf
07:48 Feb 21, 2021

Thanks so much! Please try out more romance prompts, you really have a knack for them

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
18:07 Feb 20, 2021

A very well developed story that made me really wanted to read it while tasting every word in it!!! Great!

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
19:39 Feb 20, 2021

Thank you very much Henry, I'm so glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Vibes Blossom
16:03 Feb 17, 2021

Hey. I had goosebumps reading the last 'love still remains'. I loved how the grand children were involved in this story. It was a beautiful read :)

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
16:12 Feb 17, 2021

Thanks for reading this story, I'm glad you liked it. I had fun writing it ;)

Reply

Vibes Blossom
16:18 Feb 17, 2021

Your welcome:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sam Reeves
15:34 Feb 17, 2021

That ending gave me chills! It was such a lovely story, really well written too. I loved every part of it, the couple reminiscing together, the way he looked at them when he went to bed, the grandma and granddaughter's relationship, the cute-meet and the drama at the end. So good!

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
15:45 Feb 17, 2021

I'm so glad that you liked my story. Thank for the amazing feedback. I will check out your stories as well. Thanks again

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Creed .
00:47 Feb 15, 2021

Awesome story! Thank you for liking my story, Loss. I read your bio, you seem very alike to me. I came here seeking advice and encouragement. I have definitely found the right place. Everyone here has been so encouraging. Speaking of such, if you haven't already, you should check out my Marvel Mate, Scarlett Witch, she's awesome!

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
04:23 Feb 15, 2021

Your welcome, and thank you for reading my story. I will definitely check out your Marvel Mate, Scarlett Witch.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nancy Drayce
12:31 Feb 13, 2021

A powerful story!! I wasn't expecting anything less from you! The idea, the pace, the emotion... everything was present. And the ending sent chills down my spine! I love that you put "Love remains" at the end! Amazing! 💙🌟

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
16:42 Feb 13, 2021

Thank you so much Nancy, I'm so glad that you liked this story. I thought I would write something different. I wanted to write a good story that had some emotion. I was hoping that it would turn out good, so you've made my day :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.