0 comments

Drama Fiction

 Thea and Billy were outside Thea's house sitting in Muskoka chairs, drinking orange juice , overlooking the lake watching the sun come up. Billy was her friends ex boyfriend, her friend Leanne had just broken up with him. Leanne had asked Thea to let him stay with her as she had a large house and he had no place to stay.

Leanne was not known for staying in relationships for long periods of time, she was always about what was coming next. So it annoyed Thea that Leanne had Billy move in with her knowing that she would break up with him and leave him homeless. And of course Leanne played on Thea's heart strings to let him stay with her.

Billy had just moved in the day before, they spent most of the night unpacking him. Billy had a lot of stuff and unpacked it like he would be staying for much longer than Thea had agreed to. Thea would have waited to get Billy settled but Billy was insistent on getting it done immediately which meant doing it through the night.

After they had unpacked Billy; Thea was exhausted but it was 530 a.m. and she had so rarely got to see the sun come up. So Thea got a glass of orange juice and went to the backyard to watch the sunset. Billy saw what she was doing then joined her. Thea really wanted to watch the sunrise alone, as she had just spent the entire night with Billy, but she figured she would have to get used to him being there at least for a little.

The sun was slowly creeping upward to be lined up with the horizon of the lake and sky, The moon had faded away and was dim in the light the sun was illuminating throughout the heavens. Thea watched the sun slowly climb from the horizon of the lake up into the heights of the skies to light up their side of the world.

Thea was happy that it was Friday night that they moved Billy in, that way she could take a nap during the day. Thea finished her orange juice then got up and told Billy that she was going to take a nap. Thea went into the house to sleep, while Billy stayed outside taking in the view.

Thea was soundly asleep, until her phone woke her up. Thea was irritated by the music slowly getting louder, she felt as though she had just fallen asleep. Thea unwilling to get up, attempted to hit the ignore button on her phone to sleep a little longer. Only problem was Thea could not reach her phone because her arm was tied up at the wrist by rope.

Thea thought ‘what the hell', Billy grabbed her phone of her bedside table and hit the ignore button to stop the ringing.

“That is better" Billy said.

Thea woke right up, shocked and scared.

“Look I do not know what you and Leanne were into but I am not into it” Thea said.

“Leanne will be here soon" Billy replied.

“That changes nothing, I am still not a willing participant" Thea stated clearly.

“We are not raping you” Billy said “We are killing you"

“What?” Thea asked outraged and more terrified than before.

Billy turned his head toward the window suddenly as though he heard something.

“Leanne is here" Billy said.

Billy went downstairs to let Leanne in. Thea heard Leanne open the car door then close it. Thea knew she needed to get out of her room, before Leanne and Billy got up there. She looked at the rope thing her hands up, she noticed the knots were very loose. Thea was able to pull the rope down her hand and widened the hole by opening her fingers, then was able to just slip her left hand out of the rope. Thea quickly turned her attention to her right hand , she just untied the rope and was free.

Thea heard Billy open the front door to allow Leanne in, Thea listened to their conversation.

“Where is she?” Leanne asked.

“She is upstairs" Billy answered.

“Why haven't you buried her yet?” Leanne asked in response.

“She is not even dead yet" Billy responded.

“What?” Leanne inquired angrily.

“I thought you wanted to do it" Billy responded.

“Why would want to do it. The agreement was you move in you kill her we take her house. But fine I will do everything" Leanne said.

Leanne and Billy started to make their way toward the stairs, Thea grabbed her phone, then left the room and went to the stairs at the back. Thea went downstairs to the kitchen, she grabbed a knife as she herd Leanne yelling at Billy for letting Thea get away.

"Go find her" Leanne demanded.

Billy did as instructed, Thea could hear him coming down the stairs. Thea frantically got her phone and dialed 911. It took a few rings but a responded answered the phone.

“911, what is your emergency?” the operator asked.

Thea was about to respond when the phone was ripped from her hand thrown across the room, then Billy grabbed her tightly from behind her. He had grabbed her by the arms to hold her , but Billy did not notice the knife Thea had picked up.

Thea was frozen she could not move, she just needed to be freed to get a good jab in. Billy realized his bear hold grip of Thea was not an effective method of ending her life so he let her go, then forced her to turn around. Thea was thrown off balance when Billy caught her by the throat, and started to strangle her.

Thea was gasping for breath, unwilling to die she brought the knife up and stabbed Billy in the cheek. Billy screamed while Thea pulled the knife out to be used again. Billy was now extremely mad and charged at Thea, Thea plunged the knife into his chest and pulled it out.

Billy stopped and grabbed his chest where Thea had just stabbed him then fell to the ground.

Thea left Billy where he lie, then went to get her phone from across the room. But she stopped her steps when she heard Leanne start coming down the stairs. She knew she would not get to her phone in time enough to talk to the police and have them come and save her before Leanne would get to her. So Thea ran.

Thea had no idea why Leanne wanted her dead, she would not have been able to take her house Thea had a will and the house was not left to her. The only way Leanne would have been able to keep her house would be to pretend that Thea was alive and she was just staying with her. But that could not last long before becoming suspicious. So Thea concluded that Leanne was just insane.

Thea knew that she did not like screwing with crazy, but at this time she was being forced to. Thea thought the best course of action was running outside hoping a neighbor might see and help. Thea was going to run to one of her neighbor's place, however she was stopped when a bullet grazed her cheek.

The bullet flew across her cheek and continued on until it hit the tree just in front of Thea. Thea put her hand to her cheek it burned and it was bleeding, but she had no time to cry. Thea had to preserve her life, so she ran behind the tree to avoid getting shot for real.

Leanne took another shot right at the tree, then another, then another. Thea then realized that Leanne was trying to split the thin trunk of the tree to get Thea. Thea then slid down to be balancing on her toes, to sitting sort of but in a squatting way to avoid Leanne being successful.

The shooting had seemed to stop, Thea took a breath in she was not aware she was holding. Thea just stayed where she was scared to move, and feeling stupidly, relieved. It was not over , Leanne had silently crept up on Thea, she grabbed her by her hair and pulled her away from behind the tree.

Leanne dragged Thea right back to the Muskoka chairs that early in the morning Billy and Thea watched the sunrise. Thea screamed out of fear and pain. Leanne let go of Thea where she fell to the ground.

Leanne went right into Thea's face caressing her face with the gun “You are probably wondering why I am doing this"

“It crossed my mind" Thea answered.

“Well I hate you" Leanne laughed.

“That is clear now, but what I do not know is why. I thought we were friends" Thea replied.

“Nope, never have been, never will be. You are the literally worst, you have everything, you are beautiful, everything is handed to you on a silver platter, you are just a spoiled brat" Leanne said.

“I worked for everything that I have, nothing has ever been handed to me, and even if it was that is not an excuse to mistreat me ; let alone kill me" Thea said.

“Yea, oh well" Leanne answered

“You trying to kill me is a good excuse to defend myself" Thea said.

Thea with the knife still in her hand submerged it into Leanne’s temple. Leanne was so on Thea's face she did not even see it coming. Thea pulled the knife out of Leanne's head. Leanne fell on her, Thea quickly shoved Leanne off of her to the ground beside them.

Thea walked to the front Muskoka chair and sat down. Thea looked at the sky in front of her, the clouds were disappearing, the sun was going down. It was not long before the moon came out, Thea watched the full yellow moon reflect off of the lake. It was so low that it reflected off the lake as though the moon were in front of a mirror, it looked as though there were 2 moons.

The reflection of the moon was joined by red and blue flashing lights. ‘The police must have traced the call’ Thea thought as she sat there exhausted, staring at the beautiful reflection of the moon.  

November 19, 2020 17:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.