2 comments

General

April 6 Monday,

 

As you know dairy, I do have trouble sleeping at night. I don't really know why though. Sometimes I feel like I am being watched and the other times I feel like I hear my name whispered by someone I know... But, from what I remember, that person went missing a couple of years ago. He was my far relative (probably my grandpa's uncle's uncle. I don't even know it for sure). Well, the time right now is 12:01. I am not scared of any horror movies and stuff like that. So, when it's 12 midnight I am all brave. But, as I stated about the voice earlier, it still kinda haunts when I go to the bathroom. I just hear the whispers. My parents know about this trouble I have and they did ask me quite a few times why I am not sleeping even though it's so late. They ask me that question even after I tell them. What should I do?! I am so bored dear dairy! my parents can hear whatever I do because they are in the bedroom right beside mine. Wait a minute dairy... I'll be back.

Kevin got off his bed and went near the window. He heard some weird sounds out the window. So, he opened the window and craned his neck to see if he could find any creatures but he couldn't.

I am back dear dairy. I heard noises so I went near the window to check if there were any creatures. Well, the time right now is 3:45 early in the morning. If I try to sleep now then, at least by 5:30 I will have 1 and half hour sleep. As you know dairy I take fifteen minutes to sleep.(And that's just my anticipation) I took this long to write because just this less because I went to the meanwhile. So, bye-bye for now dear dairy.

 

April 7 Tuesday

 

What up dear Dairy,

Right now it is 12:30 at night and I am writing a little late because I tried to sleep after the tiresome day. Today I had a small Test and I totally forgot about it. But, while eating my breakfast I immediately had a look at the notes. And dear Dairy you remember that I stated about a voice right? The same voice was calling my name again and again whenever I closed my eyes. I still don't get why this happens though. Tonight I am thinking of sleeping at around 4:00 in the morning because I don't even feel a little sleepy. I also eavesdropped on my parents' conversation and I heard that they might take me to a doctor to find out why I am not able to sleep. I always try my best to sleep, but every night becomes a sleepless night to me. I usually feel sleepy between the hours 3 and 4. And I hardly get any sleep because I wake up at 5:30. After that every morning is so tiring for me. Sometimes I feel like I am nocturnal, but it's silly because humans cannot be nocturnal by birth. I had this sleeping trouble for  a long, long time when something really important happened. And, I don't think I exactly remember what it was, but, I know it's important. There were some days when I felt like I was being watched and the queer thing is that I do remember seeing a pair of eyes staring at me from the ceiling. Those eyes looked familiar. Like I see them everyday. They weren’t my parent’s eyes and they weren’t my brother’s. But, they looked a little,very very little like mine. The round shape and a little oval like features. Those eyes looked disgruntled and they also had blood in them. I was actually staring right at it but, after sometime they disappeared by themselves. That sure was strange. For a second I thought I was hallucinating but, I saw those same eyes earlier. A lot of times in the past. I know that this sounds quite scary but, to me it’s not scary it’s just… weird and silly. Ok dear Dairy, I feel like I should sleep now because if I don’t rest right now then, tomorrow will be an awfully tiring day for me.

 

April 8 Wednesday

 

Hello Dear Dairy, today was a decent day and now I remember the name of my Grandfather’s uncle’s uncle. His name is Jeffery Louis Winston. I said that he went missing a couple of years ago right? That was true but his age when he went missing was 45! But, if he was 45 when he went missing that means he went missing a long time ago and I do remember my parents telling me that he was missing 5 years ago. My grandpa right now is 72 years old and his uncle’s uncle cannot be younger than him. I feel like he was a time traveller because my parents told me he was a scientist and at the same time they told me not to say his name out loud. This was weird. Why can’t I say his name? It’s not a bad word, and it doesn’t sound terrifying. I wanted to do some research on him but I tried not to use any device. So, I went into my basement to see if I can find any of his memorials or the things he had before he went missing. Wait a minute I think I hear a musical instrument being played. It sounds like... a flute... No one in my family plays the flute. And I hear my name being whispered as usual. But wait… I hear something else but in a raspy voice. The voice sounds like a male and it says “Come...Come… I...am...waiting...Kevin...It’s me… join….us…” Well, that’s what I understood. This was the first time when I actually heard a voice telling me something. This was odd. Anyways dear Diary this time I think I will try my best to find something about Jeffery Louis Winston who I think is a time traveller. So it’s farewell for now dear Diary.

 

April 9 Thursday

Dear Dairy,

Today in the evening I decided to go to my basement and search each and every corner to find anything about Jeffery Louis Winston. I wanted to see a picture of his or anything that had his name on it. After some time I found a small door which is barely 4 foot tall and 5 foot wide. I couldn’t open it because I didn’t have a key. And the keyhole was a circle in shape and it’s diameter was 5cm (I just anticipated the measurements). I just walked back in despair and suddenly I tripped over the carpet which gave me a sore knee. I tried to mitigate the pain by rubbing on my knee and toe. When I had a look at the thing I tripped on, it looked peculiar in that spot and to my surprise I’ve never noticed it earlier. I tried to remove that thing but as I pulled it kept extending. That was so strange dear Dairy. And something so crazy happened after that. And after like 5 minutes of pulling, I didn't from where but, came a box. That was weird but, in the box I found something really important. It was about the man Jeffery Louis Winston. It had a photograph of him and in one of  it’s papers it said that he was a time traveller who went into the year 2015 and got stuck in there at the age of 45. And that was the last time he was ever found to humans. And I also noticed something. It was a circular coin but it had weird ridges and it had the initials “J.L.W.” on them. Then I realized that it might be the key for the mini door. I went ahead and I inserted the coin. I heard some gears turning and it opened! It was a small door so squeezed in and it led into a small tunnel. After some time of crawling I went in and it looked like some old abandoned secret room. Lucky for me I had a pocket torch with me so I had a look at the room. In the room I found a small table with a chair, a portrait of Jeffery Louis Winston, and a small chest with a rusty lock. I went to the chest and tried to break the lock, so I could be able to have a look at the things inside the chest. Even though the lock was quite rusty it was still strong. I used all my strength and pulled the lock. The lock broke open and fell back because of the extensive power. Inside the chest there were some photos of Jeffery Louis Winston and those weren’t black and white. And they had some modern skyscrapers. So, these might be the photos he took after time travelling. It also had a note in it. I took the note and it said

Dear person reading this note, 

I am Jeffery Louis Winston, a time traveller and scientist from the past. I came here to see my future family and prove to the world that travelling through time is possible. I came to the year 2015 and I did meet my future family. At first they were all confused but I explained everything so they trusted me and I wanted to have a look at Kevin Louis Winston. He wasn’t my great great grandson but he was the only baby born after years. They didn’t let me because they thought I would scare him. I was sad and I was frustrated. I didn’t want to go back to my time. I made a secret room in the basement and I lived there until my death. And from this line I wrote everything after my death. I became a ghost because my last wish wasn’t fulfilled and every night I go to my dear Kevin’s room and check on him. If this letter is being read by Kevin then my dear, I am your Grandpa’s uncle’s uncle and if you keep this letter with you and the book I wrote about time travelling which is also in the chest my soul will be rested. And try your best to time travel and go to the past to meet me or try to go to 2015 september 25 to meet me before I die.

                                    Thanking you,

Jeffery Louis Winston.”

 

I still have the book and letter with me dear Dairy and surprisingly those eyes that always stare at me were Mr. Jeffery’s and now those eyes are gone. And also guess what dear dairy?! I actually feel sleepy at 2:30 am. So, Dear Diary I think today might be the last day I might be writing but as you know I have been writing at night for 5 years because I haven't been sleepy at night since then. Don’t worry though because I will still be writing.

Thanking you,

                        Your Dear Friend

Kevin. L. Winston.

 


April 10, 2020 16:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Anna Mosqueda
16:50 Apr 16, 2020

Very good! The story kept me intrigued to see what would happen!

Reply

Kartik Swain
18:58 Apr 17, 2020

Thank you! Thanks for reading it till the end!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.