Paradise Lost

Submitted into Contest #248 in response to: Write a story titled 'Paradise Lost'.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Friendship Sad

In the heart of the South Pacific, where cerulean waters stretched to infinity and palm trees whispered secrets to the wind, lay a hidden heaven. Its name was whispered only by those who had glimpsed its shores—a name that held the promise of eternal bliss: Eden Isle.

The island was a symphony of colour. Azure skies melted into turquoise seas, and golden sands cradled the feet of wanderers. The air smelled of salt and hibiscus, and the sun painted freckles on the skin of those who dared to linger. Birds with iridescent plumage danced through the foliage, their songs weaving tales of forgotten love and ancient magic.

Now for you to understand - I leave it to your imagination. Many may say that a beautiful place cannot be described but needs to be seen. However, this solace is so beautiful that one does not need to see it - but rather feel it as the words rush through the mind. 

Feel the rush of wind as it descends in swirls with the leaves and twigs waltzing in the breeze - yet there is still not a sound. The breeze of ferns spiralling down a peeled tree. Not a sound. And a polished yet unnecessary bridge going over no body of water or hill. A joint of nature creating a path from one to another. And a better perspective of this solace. 

At the heart of Eden Isle stood a magnificent banyan tree, its roots like serpents entwined in the earth. Locals spoke of its mystical properties—the ability to heal broken hearts and grant visions of the future. But there was a price to pay: once you stepped beneath its sprawling branches, you could never leave. The tree held you captive, ensnaring your soul in its gnarled embrace.

Lena, a weary traveller, stumbled upon Eden Isle during a tempest of flurries - a tornado picking up . Her shipwrecked against the coral reefs, and she washed ashore, half-drowned and ldisoriented. When she opened her eyes, she gasped at the island’s beauty—the kind that made you question whether you were still alive or had slipped into the afterlife.

The locals welcomed Lena with open arms. They wore garlands of frangipani and spoke in lilting melodies. Their eyes held secrets—of love lost, of dreams abandoned, of lives forever changed by the banyan tree. They warned Lena not to venture too close, but curiosity gnawed at her like a persistent hunger.

One moonlit night, Lena followed the flicker of fireflies to the tree’s base. Its roots rose like ancient columns, and the air hummed with energy. She touched the bark, and a vision flooded her mind: a man with eyes like the sea, standing on the precipice of eternity. His name was Elias, and he had been trapped here for centuries.

Elias told Lena of the island’s curse—a punishment for defying the gods. He had once been a sailor, seeking adventure beyond the horizon. But when he tasted Eden Isle’s forbidden fruit, he became immortal, bound to the banyan tree. His love for a mortal woman had led to his downfall, and now he wandered the island, yearning for release.

Lena vowed to free Elias. Together, they deciphered cryptic inscriptions on the tree’s trunk, seeking a loophole in the curse. They danced under the moonlight, their laughter echoing through the jungle. But as days turned into weeks, Lena felt the island’s pull—the desire to stay forever, to forget the world beyond.

One morning, Elias kissed her forehead. “You must leave,” he whispered. “The longer you stay, the harder it becomes to break free.”

Tears blurred Lena’s vision. “I can’t abandon you.”

Elias cupped her face. “You are my salvation. Find the hidden cave—the one where the sun kisses the water at noon. There lies the key to our freedom - and remember what you hear and feel amid silence,” 

Lena set off, guided by the sun’s rays. The shine was a comfort amid the dark abyss in which her heart floated in. 

The cave was a grotto of emerald pools, their depths concealing ancient relics. The cave’s walls pulse with veins of luminescent minerals. Emerald greens, sapphire blues, and amethyst purples weave patterns that defy logic. When the darkness descended, these veins came alive, casting a soft glow. It was as if the cave breathes, exhaling magic. Above, stalactites hang like chandeliers. Their tapering forms drip with ancient water, each drops a note in a silent symphony. When touched, they resonated—a celestial melody that reverberated through the cavern. The cave’s heart cradles mirror pools—still as glass. Their depths reflect the ceiling’s artistry, creating an illusion of infinity. Lean over, and you’ll glimpse your soul—the raw, unfiltered version. The air is thick with silence, broken only by your breath. The cave absorbs sound, leaving you suspended in a cocoon of stillness. You’ll hear your heartbeat, your thoughts—the universe within.

And one thing Lena knew very well was that silence wasn’t empty - It was full of answers. No matter how painful they may be. 

And so, she sought for those answers. Whether they were as painful as she was told they were or whether they gave her heart the consolation it needed. 

She found a crystal vial, as she expected there to be, filled with starlight—the elixir that could sever the banyan tree’s hold. But as she returned to Elias, doubt gnawed at her heart. Could she leave this paradise? Could she forsake love for freedom? And nor was it love where she was committed to Elias - rather the love for the island and the peace it provided for her. 

Elias took the vial, his eyes brimming with gratitude. “Drink this,” he said. “And when you wake, you’ll be back on your ship.”

He was now just a hologram that she could see. Her mind already knew what to expect.

Lena hesitated. “What about us?”

He smiled, a bittersweet curve of lips. “Perhaps in another lifetime, we’ll find each other again.”

She drank the elixir, and the world blurred. When she opened her eyes, she lay on the ship’s deck, salt spray on her lips. The island shimmered in the distance, a mirage fading into memory.

Lena returned home, a single sailor on the bow of her boat. And even though she left that one place where her mind, body and soul could always call home - her heart remained on Eden Isle. She wrote stories of love and the loss of a brother, of an immortal sailor and a mortal girl. And every night, she dreamed of Elias—the man with eyes like the sea, waiting beneath the banyan tree.

Paradise lost, but love found.

April 29, 2024 10:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.