Tusks and Daggers Part Fifty-Eight: A Vampire and a Bit of Home!

Written in response to: Write a story where the laws of time and space begin to dissolve.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Romance

Emmie:

Lottie sat on her seat, a sadness resting in her eyes. Smoothing out her silver robes, her broken smile met my bright smile. Her request to go by herself was odd, guilt eating at me for asking her to help me hunt down a monster at my train station. 

“Are you okay?” I inquired with genuine concern, a wave of her hand doing little to quell my nerves. Staring out the window numbly, my fingers clung to my conductor’s uniform. Surprise rounded her eyes at my warm embrace, her chin resting on the top of my hat. 

“I am okay as I am going to be. I had to say goodbye to another friend.” She admonished with a broken smile, tears staining her cheeks. “Have you been having fun traveling between the dimensions?” A dull agony rested in her voice with that last question, the price of her transformation showing on her slender face. Everyone knew she couldn’t go home, my heart shattering for her. Excusing myself to check on the train, the urge to comfort her made every footstep feel like I was walking through a swamp. Watching the gauges for a couple of minutes, the other guests chatted. Thankful that she had the royal car, the noise would be sure to give her a migraine. This was my last time for the evening, Lottie sticking around long enough for us to go to my station. Staring out at the inky sky, diamonds twinkled in the night sky. The light blinked in the royalty car, my boots pounding towards the back. Skidding into the car, horror rounded my eyes at her twitching on the floor with blood pouring from the corner of her lips. Rolling her over, the strange mark of the beast haunting my station had every breath growing shorter. The last stop was in five miles, my heart seconds from beating out of its chest. Rushing to the passenger car, they all acted like nothing happened. Tapping my foot impatiently for those agonizing five miles, relief flooded my body at the last passenger getting off. Zora bounced next to me, her slender hand dragging me to the royalty car. Lottie groaned as she sat up, the kingdom blurring into my foggy train station. Resting her wrists on her knees, her real smile relaxed my fraying nerves. Struggling to her feet, she whipped the blood off of her boot. 

“Don’t worry. This mark should go away the moment I kill your little problem. Would you mind getting the tea ready, Zora?” She assured me with a nervous chuckle, Zora bowing as she hopped off the train. “I need you around to act as bait.” Offering me her hand, my fingers curled around hers. A layer of sweat glistened on her forehead, a coughing fit had blood painting her hand. Wiping the corner of her mouth, a shadow darted past us. Raising her scythe into the air, a spiky centipede scuttled towards her. Pushing me into one of the many sheds, her shaking fingers locked it behind her. Cursing under my breath, every pound on the door rattled the whole structure. Silver water flooded the station, Zora climbing onto the roof. Silver roses bloomed around me, the vines preventing the water from getting into the shed I was in. Noting the roses protecting the train, a thud had me banging on the door harder. Lottie slid down the door with spikes quivering in her body, the centipede smashing into her. Kicking it off, vines caught the beast in the air. Spitting out a glob of blood, her bun had fallen out. Tucking her scythe into its case, a whimper poured from her lips with every pluck of the spikes. Blood stained her silver water, Zora jumped off to catch her. Lottie caught her in her arms, her weak smile scaring us both. Placing her on the roof of the shed, her bloody hand cupped her cheeks. 

“This is a vampire centipede and his venom would kill you.” She urged with a bright smile, kissing the top of her hat. Zora nodded her head, her fangs digging into her bottom lips. Pressing her palms together, her ears pinned back as her mouth moved a mile a minute. Tossing the spikes into the air, silver water lightened the spikes to a light silver. Lowering her hand to my cheek, a snap of her fingers sent them flying into the centipede’s mouth. Waiting patiently for the spikes to implant themselves, the exoskeleton bubbled. Swaying back and forth, another silent spell had a silver rose blooming over us. A loud boom shook my realm, blood and guts raining down on her. Shaking it off as the mark disappeared, a wave of silver water cleaned her. Her wet hair clung to her face, the water receding with the blood and guts. Thinking we were safe, Zora was stopped by a raised hand from Lottie. Healing herself, her vines whistled into the shadows. 

“Sorry for killing your pet. Do you have the balls to fight me like the man you aren’t?” She challenged a shadowy figure, a wicked laugh rumbling in my throat. “One of your passengers stayed on to assassinate Miss Zora. You are a vampire sent to hunt her down, Mister Zort.” A lean man about seven feet tall, his ruby eyes glittered with hunger. Zora hid behind me, her claws digging into my arms. 

“He is a vampire serial killer and he wants to kill us all.” She whimpered while burying her head into my back, my breath hitching at how beautiful she looked in that moment. Shaking my head, now wasn’t the time. His leather coat danced in the breeze, his boots smashing towards Lottie. Winking as she ripped out her scythe, her scythe clashing violently with his sleek onyx dual blades. Pushing him back, Lottie seemed to be blowing off steam. The heel of her boot kicked him into the air, a ball of flames building on her palms. Clapping his hands, he appeared behind her. Sliding his blades through her stomach, blood poured from the corner of her lips. Spinning her scythe underneath her arm, the tip slid through his chin. Howling in pain, the flames in her palm grew brighter. 

“Power of the sun, decay what doesn’t belong!” She wheezed, coughing up blood. “Steal away the night.” Gripping his arm, her flames devoured his body. Blood poured from her eyes and nose, his body decaying into ash. A gust of wind whisked him away, her hand catching his soul diamond. Tucking it into her pocket, her body hit the cobblestone. Leaping off the roof, panic twisted my face the moment a rough darkness stole her away. Somy stepped in out of nowhere, alarm widening his eyes. Scooping her up, his orders flew out of his mouth as he whisked her into the train station. Laying her down on a bench, grunts announced him ripping out the dual blades. Zora followed the orders numbly, her head nodding. Stabilizing her within minutes, all of us let out the breath we were holding in. 

“I assume she found what she slipped away for.” He grumbled under his breath, her breathing steadying even more. “She is too reckless. Thank you for staying out of the way. A file on a vampire serial killer told me where she was going. Unfortunately, I missed the train.” Smoothing out his ivory blouse and nice wool pants, his expression softened. 

“Thank you for giving her something to do. Ever since Lust left, she hasn’t been the same. She always gets so attached to us and I love her for that. I won’t ever leave her side and I don’t think the others will either.” He continued with an honest smile, his hand rubbing her shoulder. “Do guys have any tea? I am parched.” Zora excused herself to go make fresh tea, his kind gaze watching me scratch the back of my neck. 

“Now that I have you alone. I need you to do something for me. Always be there when she calls. I find that she is quite fond of you. She has kept the promise to keep visiting you.” He spoke sternly, my hand snapping to my side. “Do me a favor and pick up her parents next week. I do believe she needs a bit of joy. I have work to do.” Swiping the diamond, he was gone in a swirl of silver water. Zora came back out with a tray, Lottie stirring awake. Sitting up, her fingers traced the fresh gauze around her stomach. Clutching me close to her chest, her tears soaked the top of my head. 

“Thank you for saving me. You are amazing, Emmie!” She wept graciously, her finger lifting up my chin. “I found a spell to help you out. Close your eyes.” Singing words in a language that I had never heard, warmth coursed through me. Every muscle screamed in protest, a clap forcing me to open my eyes. Wonder brightened my eyes, the shelves I couldn’t reach were in my eyesight. Glancing down at me, a loud scream burst from my lips. A slender but muscular body replaced my ten year old body, my uniform having grown with me. Unsure of what to say, Zora changed into her original form, her grin burning brighter than it ever had. 

“I am an adult.” I stuttered oddly, feeling my muscular chest. “What do I do now?” Lottie shrugged her shoulders, her real smile calming me down. Zora tapped my shoulder, her lips smashing into mine. Time stopped, our hearts beating to the same rhythm. Releasing me from her spell, her shoulder wiggle made her more adorable. Looking cute in her matching uniform, a squeal poured from her lips. Smashing into Lottie, Lottie mouthed help as she got buried into a bear hug. Staring in the mirror, I didn’t look so bad. Tracing my handsome features, tears of joy slid down my cheeks. For decades, I had desired this very moment. Peeling off Zora, Lottie rose to her feet. Burying her into a brotherly hug, it proved to be odd that I was the taller one.  

“I can’t thank you enough for this.” I whispered jovially into her ear, her tears soaking my shoulder. “How long did it take for you to find something that worked?” Stepping back, her hands rested on her hips. 

“Have a family and live on the train.” She suggested with a weepy family, tucking a wet strand behind her ear. “I am going to make you dinner and you two can get to know each other. Don’t worry about how long it took. Your smile makes it all worth it. Just as much as I can call you, you can always call me.” Walking into the kitchen, Zora patted the bench. Plopping down next to her, her fangs extended over her neck. Scarlet painted her cheeks, her pointed ears pinning back. 

“May I bite you to make you my mate?” She inquired coyly, her gaze averting to the floor. “You don’t have t-” Kissing her hungrily, her fangs sank into my bottom lip. Sucking out a bit of blood, an inky bite mark appeared on the nape of my neck. Releasing her from my lips, both of us had goofy grins on our lips. Lottie watched from the kitchen, silent tears staining her cheeks. The bench groaned as I rose to my feet, Lottie smiling brokenly as I laid the knife down. Pushing her onto the train, Zora hopped on with a wink. The engine chugged to life, Zora remaining with her as I ran to the front to drive the train. Grinning to myself, this would cheer her up. Driving towards her dimension, the brakes of the train ground to a stop within the hour. Crashing back, the current state of Lottie had me wondering if I did the right thing. Sobbing violently at the window, her palms were glued to the glass. A lost desire burned in her eyes, Zora rubbing her back. Marching to the door, her shaking hand ripped open the door. Letting the breeze of her homeland fill the train, her hair danced in the warm breeze. Bliss mixed with agony, her hands reaching out. A zap had her ripping her hand back, her body sinking to her knees. A voice stole her attention, Viktor climbing on a couple of doors down. Placing his hand on his hips, his simple blouse fluttered in the breeze. Running his hand through his wild hair, his fatherly gaze watched her smash into him. Burying her head into her shoulder, her sobs grew more uncontrollable. Wrapping his arm around her shoulder, a basket of foreign fruit dangled in his hand. Touched by the scene, Lottie really looked quite human in that moment. Guiding her to the nearest seats, true joy illuminated her features at the fruit in the basket. Talking with her, Lottie offered me a pink apple. 

“Cut that up and enjoy it. You really are the greatest conductor out there!” She gushed with her natural smile, returning to her conversation. Zora dragged me into the next car, her hand cupping my cheek. For so long, I desired this. My new body made this look normal, her sweet lips grazing my lips. 

“You should let them have their privacy, Mr. Amazing.” She giggled with one of her trademark smiles. “Look at how handsome you are.” Something told me in the way she was clinging to my hand that she had a hand in this, my finger lifting up her chin like I had seen Boran do a couple of times to Lottie. 

“Where did you tell her to get the spell?” I interrogated with a crooked grin, my deep voice shocking me for a moment. “Don’t tell me that you didn’t.” Shrugging her shoulders, she placed the apple in mouth. Tickling her side like we used to, this felt different. Lottie’s words lingered on my mind, the thought of a family riding the train with me pleasing me. Zora made the train better as it was but I could have the life I sacrificed. Blushing hard, one glance out the window had me less worried about Lottie. Viktor and her were chatting, this moment was probably a rare one to witness. The apple hit my face, a fuming Zora tapping her foot. Knocking my head on a shelf, her expression softened with a bit of laughter. 

“Not used to your height yet?” She teased playfully, her boot kicking up the apple in my direction. Catching it in my palm, my reflection gave me mixed emotions. Taking a bite, the level of sweetness cascading over my tongue had my breath hitching. Devouring the apple, this had to be one of the best apples to grace my taste buds. Throwing the core into her homeland, a mouse dragged it away. Juice dribbled down my chin, a crimson painting my cheeks at her kissing the juice away. Swallowing the lump in my throat, another giggle flooded from her lips. Guiding me to the nearest seat, pride swelled in my eyes at her laying my head on my lap. 

“Of course I told her where to go. If you didn’t think that I couldn’t hear you crying at night then you are all wrong. You two are like peas in a pod.” She continued sweetly, her fingers intertwined with mine. “You sacrificed way too much to get to where you are today. Both of you carry the weight of important components in this kingdom with the best grace. I don’t care what they say about you two. The kingdom would be nothing without you two.” Yawning groggily, snores echoed in the air. The car door slid open, Lottie taking the seat next to me. 

“Heed my advice, my dear friend. Take this chance and run with it. Don’t you dare worry about a damn thing.” She laughed lightly, some life returning to her eyes. “It was nice to smell home. We have a closet at home but the smell doesn’t come through. I can see it and I spend an hour a day at it. Thank you for today.” Watching Viktor walk back into his dimension, a single tear slid down her cheek. 

“Do you miss it?” I asked innocently, wondering if I had made her day worse. “I wish that you could feel the grass.” Waving her hands around, her head cocked as she smiled bleakly. Playing with her wet hair, her ears pinned back. 

“Nah. I wouldn’t change it for the life of me. I have amazing friends and family. There is nothing else I could desire.” She answered with her real smile, her tail wagging. “I will always miss my home but being queen to these wonderful people makes it all worth it, especially people like you.” A blush rose to my cheeks, her fingers fussing with her mostly dry robes. This queen didn’t need a crown, her gracefulness showing in how much she cared about everyone. Twisting her hair into a braid, my lips parted to speak. Happy to be talking with her, her insight was as mature as mine. 

"I mourn what I had to leave behind but I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world either.” I uttered simply, her gentle gaze meeting my serene expression. “I get to meet all kinds of people and my old town was kind of stuffy.” Pulling my hat over my eyes, her next words had my hat clattering to the floor. 

“This train is your oyster, so savor it.” She sighed with an exhausted grin, her fingers dancing along the fruit in the basket. “I am going to leave these with you.” Explaining the best way to eat them all, even more life returned to her life. Her smile never left her face with every tale of her childhood. How was I so blessed to meet the most magnificent queen!

February 29, 2024 00:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.