Faerphrin Gulrae's Gamble

Written in response to: Write a story that hinges on the outcome of a coin flip.... view prompt

19 comments

Fantasy Fiction

*story is inspired by D&D drow society which contains violence, manipulation, and religion(as well as more, please do some reading if you are concerned of these topics relating to drow society) if that is not for you do not read*

------------------------------------------------

Faerphrin's life was not a simple one. The House of Gulrae was known for a rigorous life, even for that of a drow. The closer you were to the immediate family you rose and started your day earlier and earlier. Faerphrin used to rise at four when the rites and sacrifices to Lloth were made.

But now he was recognized as a close relative of its houses Matron Mother: Nym Gulrae. So he was told to end xyr meditation early, an hour before the drow's religious tellings of time and life. Faerphrin started his personalized training. Utilizing his blind sense and its favored craft- that of a bow and knowledge.

The young drow became excited over this new learning, and xe gained a thirst for it. So instead of turning in and using his extra time for either leisure or for scheming, he studied and trained. Studied and trained, studied and trained. It wasn't uncommon for the typical four-hour meditation to be two or three hours for young Faerphrin.

News of xys love of this new lifestyle soon reached the Matron Mother. She pondered his odd attachment to it. Matron Mother Nym understood xyr thirst to be more, all drow did, but its wholesome pull and curiosity were not like the people of the Underdark. Not in this metropolis nor in drow society.

And so, as any Priestess of Lloth and Matron Mother would, she tested xem. Time and time again, in various ways. At first, Faerphrin did not notice his loaned books and scrolls being swapped or misplaced, xyr sheets being coated in a unique poison, his favorite drink being laced with a hallucinogenic favored by the drow Goddess.

Faerphrin went on with little to no difficulty with its studies. He was more irritable and a bit crazy by drow standards, but it wasn't unusual. Xe was doing well. And this pleased Matron Mother Nym all too much. 

The drow's combination of determination, youth, and useful ignorance would prove to benefit not only the Matron Mother but the entirety of the Gulrae House. 

When Faerphrin learned of its Matron Mother's tests, he grew paranoid. And this year, xys fifty-seventh year of life is where he truly acted like your typical drow.

He found ways to make it so xyr study material could not be swapped or misplaced, and a way to avoid poison and other dangerous things. Xe started learning how to do calligraphy and started speaking up in House and Church subjects.

As a male this was out of line, speaking above those in favor of Lloth. He faced many sabotages and soon xyr actions were too much. It was branded with a purplish black and gold tattoo, lines, and circles imbued with ill will. His strength and thus xys skill with a blade lessened. 

This however did not stop Faerphrin. It encouraged him. He learned how to coat its words, xe learned to scheme like a drow. Faerphrin became what most feared. A confident and diplomatic assassin. 

With xyr blind sense, his skill with a blade and with a bow, and his way around politics he blossomed. He was the lowest of the low in the House of Gulrae and now he was valued and feared. It became known that for some reason, he was favored by Lloth. A male, a non-magic user has piqued the interest of the drow Goddess.

He became the meaning of his house's name: a hunter of predators. 

And this made xys metropolis want to strike him down. Years passed and none succeeded. He carried one of the bladed composite longbows. This bow was known in this society, it was able to be taken apart into two swords. People underestimated xem because of xyr cursed tattoo.

But Faerphrin trained. He learned to use his frailty with xyr weapons and it had money. Because of those underestimating him, xe enchanted his bow and other things. Its bow and thus blades could cut your health in half and half again, a gauntlet he had could freeze you still, and xys lesser weapons would leave you where you stood.

Faerphrin became a threat.

Then someone learned. To bypass its fancy wording, you would have to give him something simple and something not to be messed with. A game. To bypass xyr weapons, you would have to not invoke his anger or hate. A deal.

And thus, the coin toss.

The face of their cruel Goddess Lluth dictated if he would live on in the House of Gulrae as a respected and valued member, and a drider would dictate if xe would be stripped of everything to be sacrificed to the Weaver of Webs, the one of the pit.

------------------------------------------------

To reach the word count, I'll tell you about the inspiration for this story! For the holidays I got a D&D book- specifically the Dungeon Masters Guide for the 3.0 version of the game. I've been playing D&D for four, almost five years now, and have been wanting the book for a long time.

So, naturally- my DM(Dungeon Master) told me to create a character by myself, using the resources I had. Due to the other gifts I got during the holidays I had already previously drawn quite a few characters. And one of them ended up being the character I have currently. He had silver hair, teal/rose gold eyes, and an odd tattoo and I ended up giving him the usual pointy ears.

He gave chaotic vibes, so I knew he should be an odd duck of whatever species I made him. And- I ended up making him a drow. I've never played a drow before, so I'm looking forward to see how this goes!

(If anyone was wondering what his classes were, he's a level one fighter and a level one expert(a class found in the DMG : D His other class levels come from him being a drow, his effective character level is five!)

January 06, 2023 18:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

19 comments

Delia Tomkus
00:43 Jan 27, 2023

I saw this story because, well, dnd(I had to read it). I love dnd, especially drow culture. I have a character who is a half-elf raised amongst the drow, which has definitely lead to an interesting life for him. Very cool story, I enjoyed reading it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Eleanor <3
20:34 Feb 21, 2023

hey hey! trying to expand my reedsy community and i had a few mutual friends w u!! sadly, a few of them did leave reedsy :(( i love ur stories! hope we can be friends :D u seem so sweet <3 and, MAJOR props to u for accurately portraying dnd!

Reply

Show 0 replies

goddamn!!!!! this is good what i used to play d&d n ur makin me miss it lmfao also im in ur bio quotes omgomgomgogmogmogopigbjegrhurirewjfkdhfwe *explodes*

Reply

Crows_ Garden
22:09 Jan 15, 2023

Aha! Thank you! Aww- I'm winnin' : ) Pfftt- y e p lol

Reply

:DDDD 🥲💖💖💖💖 😭❤️😭😭😭😭😭❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Reply

Crows_ Garden
17:11 Jan 16, 2023

> : D <3<3<3<3<3<3 <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Reply

omg heart war again 💖💖💖❤️❤️❤️❤️💖💖💖💖❤️💖💖💖💖❤️💖💖❤️❤️

Reply

Crows_ Garden
23:25 Jan 16, 2023

Yeeeess <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jasey Lovegood
15:28 Jan 13, 2023

I don't play D&D but the descriptions in this were simple yet so well explained? I loved it, great work, Princey <3

Reply

Crows_ Garden
22:04 Jan 15, 2023

WOO! That was the goal, glad it went well, thank you Jasey Bear! : D <3

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
04:36 Jan 18, 2023

No problem, it was a pleasure to read! :)

Reply

Crows_ Garden
12:01 Jan 18, 2023

: D Thank yoouuuuuu

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
04:01 Jan 19, 2023

<3

Reply

Crows_ Garden
15:08 Jan 19, 2023

<3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
J.C. Lovero
12:44 Jan 07, 2023

Ah, D&D is such a fun game. Thanks for sharing this story with us! I miss playing my war cleric.

Reply

Crows_ Garden
03:48 Jan 09, 2023

It is yeah! Of course : ) Oo, that sounds like fun! There's no harm in bringin' back an old favorite.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Crows_ Garden
03:48 Jan 09, 2023

It is yeah! Of course : ) Oo, that sounds like fun! There's no harm in bringin' back an old favorite.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.