0 comments

Science Fiction


It was the summer of 2045 and it had been exactly 502 days since every human on earth had died from a disease that had been unknown by previous generations. Almost all the buildings had been warn down or destroyed. I had been living in a tint on the bare grounds of Oklahoma since it happened. I had a pretty good setup I was not to far from a store so I had all the supplies I needed to survive. The only reason I lived through the disease outrage is because I went into hiding underground for a long period of time.

It was a cold and windy night tonight, all the trees had been making loud rustling sounds from the wind. I couldn’t get to sleep that night something just didn’t feel right. Thats when I heard branches breaking and leaves crunching. It sounded like it could be an animal but I needed to make sure. I got my coat and shoes and went out of the tint but I saw nothing. I went back to into my tint and I was able to get some sleep. When I woke up I went to the store close to my tint to get some food when I saw a shadow at the corner of the store. When I went to check it out the shadow was gone. At this point I was getting a little paranoid so after I got my food with no hesitation I ran back to my tint.

Later that day I went for a walk, It was a nice and sunny day the sun was shinning on my face and it felt delightful. As I was walking on the road I passed by a small skating rink and decided to go in. When I walked into the building I heard the music playing it was very strange and I felt as though I wasn’t alone. For some reason there was a bat on the floor so I picked it up for protection and went around the corner to check the place out. When I went around the corner I bumped into someone and I hit them in the head and they fell to the floor. It was a male he was tall, he had dark brown hair, and he looked about my age. When he woke up he had a confused puzzled look on his face and asked “where am I” that’s when I told him what happened then he laughed and said “I guess I should’ve been more careful”. I also laughed. I helped him up and sat him down in a chair and went to go get some ice for his head. When I came back he said “I thought I was the only one alive” I told him I thought the exact same thing until know. 


After awhile of just talking I said “holy crap we’ve been talking for the past hour and still haven’t introduced ourselves. I said “i’m Mandy”. Then he said “i’m Jacob. Then we both laughed awkwardly.


When we left the rink it was dark. He walked me back to my tint and then he left. I was up thinking about the whole night. We both said we would meet for coffee in the morning was so tired but I still went cause I wanted to. When I walked into the coffee shop I could smell the strong coffee smell and he even made breakfast. On the table there was eggs, pancakes, bacon, and muffins on top of coffee. When I sat down I asked him where he learned to cook. Jacob said “before my mom died she used to teach me and my siblings how to make all different kinds of foods”. I told him I was sorry for his loss. He said “it’s fine”.


After breakfast we went for a walk down the street. After about 10 minutes we both heard something coming from an ally. I got scared but Jacob went to check it out. When he came back he was holding a golden retriever puppy and said “looks like someone was trying to find food in the garbage”. It was the most cutest puppy i’ve ever seen. We took her to the store and got some dog food. After that we were still in the store and the dog jumped out of my arms and we had to chase her when we finally caught up to her she had a dog toy in her mouth brought it up to me dropped it and barked. My heart melted. We both decided to name her Bella I always loved that name. I got the toy for Bella and we took her back to Jacob’s place he lived in an apartment about 20 minutes away from me. We couldn’t figure out who Bella was going to go with so I thought of the idea that I could move into one of the other apartment rooms and we can both take turns having the dog.


After a week or two me and Jacob started dating and we did everything together and we were really happy. We traveled places a lot we went to Indiana, Texas, Washington, California, and we even went to New Orleans. I always wanted to go to New Orleans and I’m glad I got to go. We stayed there for two weeks. It was the best two weeks of my life. After a couple weeks of traveling we decided to move and stay in California for awhile.


4 years passed and me and Jacob had gotten married and had two children one boy and one girl. We named the girl Emma and the boy Tyler. We also ended up finding more people and year by year the population got bigger and bigger. We still had Bella and she was the best dog I have ever had in my life. We ended up living in California for all our lives it was so beautiful there we all loved it we never ever wanted to leave and we lived happily ever after.

April 24, 2020 19:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.