The Sacred Keepers Of The Light Brigade

Submitted into Contest #55 in response to: Write a story about a meeting of a secret society.... view prompt

41 comments

Mystery

I never felt like I belonged anywhere. I even felt alienated from my own family. My parents never did anything to make me feel this way. It was all me. With loving intentions, Michael and Mirella Paterson (my folks), tried sending me to various types of psychologists to help me to figure out where these thoughts and feelings were coming from. Of course therapy didn't work on me. I don’t know why it would when I didn't know what was wrong with me to begin with!

I looked into alternate therapies ranging from the downright weird to so bizarre that I would go away from my sessions feeling even more confused! No this was something I needed to figure out for myself. So I packed up my worldly possessions (not that I owned a lot), and headed out on a journey into the unknown. To hopefully discover more about who I was in my country of birth Scotland.

My folks were a little apprehensive about me flying off solo at first. But they could clearly see that I was determined to do this, no matter what.

My mother hugged me for what felt like the longest of time. My father had already said his goodbyes earlier that morning. He had an important business meeting to attend so he got up extra early to make sure we touched base before I headed out to the airport with mum. He tried not to show it, but he was struggling to let me go too.

Handing me a neatly packaged item, with instructions not to open it until I was up in the clouds. I kissed my mother on both of her now tear stained cheeks, smiling as I headed to my gate to board the awaiting plane. I did not dare turn around as I knew I would be tempted to change my mind if I saw my mother’s great big sad eyes looking at me, pleading for me not to go.

I was thankful to have chosen a seat close to an exit and a toilet. It had been a long time since I had flown and if my memories served me correctly, I ended up being terribly airsick almost every time. Thank goodness I had thought to take a few airsickness pills before boarding.

I found myself seated next to an older gent wearing a black fedora that looked almost brand new considering it was a vintage. I knew it was old because I had an eye for vintage clothing and accessories thanks to my beloved grandpa Oliver Paterson. He prided himself in always looking sharp and well dressed. But he much preferred clothing styles from his era. Which often meant scouring vintage clothing stores far and near. I would tag along to make sure he didn't get lost.

I was thankful that the middle seat remained unoccupied as this would mean a little more arm room to stretch out if needed. I also didn't like sitting too close to strangers. The flight from Kirmington Uk to Scotland was 6 hours 5 minutes without stopping. I planned to switch off the whole entire time by listening to calming music with my headphones on. The only time I would remove them would be when I needed to go to the loo or if I needed to interact with the flight attendants serving food and beverages.

I am not sure how much time had passed since take off. But I had managed to nod off while listening to "silent Buddha" a rather relaxing meditation. The gentle nudge of the gentleman's hand on the crook of my arm pulled me back to consciousness. I was rather annoyed but soon saw that our meals were being handed out, so I let it slide as I was absolutely famished! I don't recall having had breakfast either. Maybe just a camomile tea and a banana on the go.

With a now satiated appetite, I felt as though I could quite easily drift off once more. That plan was soon cut short when I realized I needed to pee ASAP! Feeling so much better after relieving my rather full bladder, I returned to my seat to find that the gentleman with the fedora hat had left his seat. Perhaps he had needed to go to the loo as well? Which meant I would have to stay awake until his return so that he could squeeze past me to get to his seat.

I decided to open the package given to me by my mother before boarding. I had stowed it in the pouch of the seat in front of me and had almost forgotten about it until now. My mother always took such great care in choosing wrapping paper. Knowing that I loved hummingbirds and the color green, She had managed to find green wrapping paper with delicate wee hummingbirds dotted all over it. The green satin ribbon finished it off nicely.

I don’t know why, but I suddenly felt the need to unwrap my gift in private. It was as though I could sense prying eyes close by. Tucking my package under the folds of my jacket, I headed to the loo so that I could open it in private. I found myself having to go right down the end section of the plane as all of the other loo cubicles were occupied. Perhaps one of them by the fedora wearing gentleman that sat next to me.

Once I was safely locked inside the loo, I proceeded to carefully unwrap the gift my mother had handed to me before boarding my flight to Scotland. My hands were shaking and I genuinely felt like my heart rate had increased. Pausing for a moment to splash cold water on my face, I shook my head and chuckled at how I was over-reacting and that it was fatigue that was sneaking up on me. My train of thought was soon interrupted by a sharp tapping on the door.

“Are you okay in there miss?” A soft feminine voice spoke.

“Um, yes of course! I was just feeling a little dizzy from exhaustion so I just needed to freshen up” was my response.

“Let me know if you are needing any further assistance. There is a button you can press if you are feeling distressed at any time”

“Okay thank you, I will” And that was that. I was soon left alone to deal with the task at hand. I couldn’t help but think that what just occurred was awfully odd indeed. Trying to shake off the feeling of things not quite right, I continued to peel the wrapping paper off to reveal a crushed velvet emerald green box. The kind you would expect to find jewellery inside of. Grasping the ornate clasp that held the box shut, I unhooked it ever so gently. Placed on a sating pillow was the most gorgeous emerald brooch I had ever seen!

I was so mesmerized by it and could almost swear it was pulsating like a beating heart in my hands. Turning it over I saw etched in tiny letters the words, “SACRED KEEPER OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE”. Whatever that meant. I carefully pinned it on my blouse making sure it was secured in place. Again I felt the need to be cautious so I buttoned my overcoat to keep the brooch out of sight before heading back to my seat.

The fedora wearing gentleman had since returned and was already seated much to my relief. He peered over at me just as I sat down and gave a “knowing smile” which made me feel uncomfortable just for a moment or two. I mean he couldn’t possibly know about my brooch could he?

With an hour of air travel left, I decided to try to close my eyes and catch some zzz’s so that I would feel a bit more refreshed upon landing. I felt myself falling asleep quite swiftly and deeply. My senses were soon filled with a kaleidoscope of swirling colors and odd popping sounds. I felt as though my physical body was floating into the center of the colored swirls. In the next instance, I was standing at the foot of a great marble staircase which lead up to an impressive carved door. I thought about how beautiful the doors were, especially the color (they were green), and immediately found myself right in front of them! Reaching for the door knob my eyes wandered to the words written above the door.

I recognized the words as the same ones etched on the back of my brooch. “KEEPER OF THE SACRED LIGHT BRIGADE”, with the added words- “ENTER HERE ONLY”. The great doors swung open by themselves and I found myself face to face with the fedora wearing gent. He grabbed my hands in his and spoke the words “WELCOME” But not with his mouth. I answered back in my mind “THANKS”.

Leading me inside Fedora man or Emmett as he was known in the waking world, handed me a small vile of green liquid to drink. Assuring me it was safe and not poisonous and necessary for me in order for me to step through the portal to the “Real” headquarters of THE KEEPERS OF THE SACRED LIGHT BRIGADE.

Somehow I just knew that Emmett spoke the truth. That I would not be harmed by the green liquid in the vile. Removing the tiny lid I drank the tasteless liquid in one go. It felt warm flowing down my throat canal into my stomach. Soon after consuming the liquid, I felt a magnetic pull drawing me towards the bright portal that appeared as if from nowhere. I found myself stepping through without fear.

Just as I felt myself through to the other side, I felt a violent jerking sensation throughout my body as I was sucked backwards by an unseen force! And just like that I was back in my seat on the airplane, eyes wide open facing towards the seat in front of me. Feeling a little nauseous and confused over what just occurred. I mean, was it real? Because it sure felt like it was.

Without thinking I turned to Fedora man and spoke his name. “Emmett! What the heck just happened?”

Emmett looked over to me and placed a finger over his lips saying “SHH!” No more words were spoken. Not outwardly anyway. The rest of the conversation took place inside my head as he explained to me that it was not wise nor safe to speak of what had just happened until they were safely out of sight and ear range of those that would harm us. I didn’t even ask who or why. I just knew.

For the rest of the flight I pretended to be asleep. The feeling of prying eyes had returned and I didn’t want to risk finding out who or what was on the other end! I would get the answers I needed soon enough. The pilot made his announcement that we were landing in five minutes and his usual spiel of “I hope you all had a pleasant flight”.. As the flight attendants did a quick check to make sure everyone remained seated and buckled in. I felt slightly uncomfortable when one of them seemed to stay close to me for longer than necessary! I pretended not to notice, and finally she walked back to her seat in preparation for landing.

Trying not to make eye contact with anyone else on the plane including Emmett, I grabbed my luggage from the over-head compartment and headed out to the exit as quickly as I could. Once I passed through security I made my way to the nearest coffee machine desperate for a good shot of caffeine. My head was soon filled with the familiar sound of Emmett’s voice instructing me to go outside and look for a silver limo in the VIP pickup section. Glancing around to make sure I wasn’t being tailed, I power walked my way to the exit towards the VIP area where my chariot awaited me.

Emmett was already inside the Limo waiting for me. I hurriedly slid in beside him, closing the car door as quickly as I could. I had been sensing someone chasing me from the moment I left the coffee machine. Emmett smiled at me and nodded his approval at how I had handled myself despite not quite understanding what was going on. As the limo sped off I felt as though the person or thing that had been pursuing me, drop away as though they had attached a cord to me. I immediately felt a sense of relief.

“Emmett did you feel that too?” I spoke out loud.

“Yes my dear, I most certainly did” Emmett replied.

It felt good to know that I didn’t have to explain myself to Emmett. The connection between us, all of us, was so strong now that I had arrived where I needed to be. There are seven of us in total. All of us children of the Keepers before us. I suddenly felt as if I had always known of and felt the others. But it was not until I arrived “home” that it all made sense. All of this definitely helped to explain why therapy just wouldn’t cut it for me!

Arriving at our destination, the familiar marble steps caught my eye. My beautiful Emerald brooch pulsated and glowed as if recognizing it was finally home too. Arm in arm Emmett and I walked up the steps towards the Great wooden doors. Of course we could have put the thought into our minds that were already at the top of the stairs, but it just felt more fun to do it the old fashioned way. In that moment my life finally made sense. I had a purpose that meant a great deal of responsibility and leaps of faith into the unknown. But I was not alone.

“And nor should you ever feel that way again Dear one”, Emmett spoke out loud as though reading my mind.

“For we are THE SACRED KEEPERS OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE and right now the world needs our light more than ever" all seven of us spoke in our minds.

Of course what we did and who we are has to remain a secret. For there are those that wish to create chaos and darkness for their own gain. We were here to create the balance between The light and the dark, good and evil.. Only stopping our crusade when it is time to pass the "Light" to the next generation Of SACRED KEEPERS OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE.

August 18, 2020 03:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

41 comments

Aman Fatima
10:28 Feb 06, 2021

Amazing story!!! Its like the beginning of a new adventure. And loved the small details like the colour of the ribbon or the wrapping paper.

Reply

Cindy Bennett
21:39 Feb 06, 2021

Thankyou! I really enjoyed writing this story 😊

Reply

Aman Fatima
07:01 Feb 07, 2021

Welcome!!! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cindy Bennett
21:39 Feb 06, 2021

Thankyou! I really enjoyed writing this story 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Cindy Bennett
21:39 Feb 06, 2021

Thankyou! I really enjoyed writing this story 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 37 replies
Amogh Kasat
02:21 Aug 31, 2020

IT'S A WONDERFUL STORY! WOULD YOU READ MY STORIES

Reply

Show 0 replies
Roger Scypion
14:37 Mar 01, 2023

Very good story and descriptions. Engaging throughout.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.