0 comments

Drama Teens & Young Adult Speculative

My father owned a car dealership that was passed on to him by his father. It all started in 1960 with my grandfather. Then in 1990, my father took over the family business. Today, in 2020, my dad wants me to continue in the same line of business and continue the family tradition. To become the third generation in this family operated business.

As a kid and a young teen, I did envision myself working with my dad then gradually take over the dealership. I did spend a lot of time after school with my dad watching him work while working on school assignments. I do love cars and how they can make our lives much easier. I also know, that selling a product to survive is not my cup of tea. My grandfather and my father, both had the skills for it. Maybe it was natural for them. An innate talent. I know also that in this line of business, you must at times, deform the reality to get that sale. My inner soul does not allow me to do that. I am too honest for this field of work.

I believe lot of parents have a predetermined future occupation for their kids. If not, they try to impose it on them. Lot of times, unwillingly, they don’t realize that what made them happy in a certain job, it will not apply to their kids. Also, money is not the only factor of happiness in an occupation.

My mom kept telling me that after high school, I should start working with my dad. Sometimes, hours at a time, she would keep narrating me how good dad did in his business and provided us a good life. I would just listen to her with no arguments, or aggressive replies. I would tell her that if that if he was good at what he did and that he was happy, then that could be one of the best feelings he has ever experienced ever. I mentioned that as a kid, I wanted to do what dad did, but as we grow older, moving up closer to end of high school, we get to know better ourselves. Our interests, our talents, and our passions becomes a good indication on what we aspire to do for the rest of our lives.

One day, I got home and I was holding an application form to pursue higher education. I desired to attend college. When my parents saw and find out what I was holding in my hand, they were not happy. They felt betrayed and disappointed. I had to explain to them that I might make the big bucks working at dealership but I would not be satisfied and happy in life. When you have to work for plus forty years of your life, you need a profession that you will enjoy to a certain degree and make a living through it. My parents believed that a good income was more important than being happy at work.

I know it is a family business and that my parents don’t want to let it go and sell it. I told them that if they sell the dealership, they will get a good price for it and that it will guarantee a great retirement for both of them. I am not looking to get a penny from the sale of it. I want my parents to enjoy the next decades of their lives with no financial stress.

They kept arguing that their main concern was to keep this entity in our family forever. To pass it along to the next generation. To keep growing the business and our clientele. That one day, I will pass it to my kids. I was the only child of my parents. There was no other sibling my parents could turn to. I felt trapped in this situation.

I am an introvert in nature. An extroverted introverted. After being submitted through many career and personality profiling tests, I discovered that I would enjoy a profession where I can help people. I am an idealist, a perfectionist, a compassionate, and more of a writer than talker. Sincere, sympathetic, unassuming, easygoing, reserved and patient. With all those traits, I am seriously thinking to work as a teacher, a counselor, an educator or a writer. Selling cars is not something that would stimulate my mind. 

I suggested to my parents that if they really are not inclined to sell the place then perhaps they can find a new general manager after my dad retires. Yes, it will be an extra salary to pay for that new employee but they will still own the business. I could maybe work on the weekends with my dad for now. Work four hours a day on Saturdays and on Sundays. Acquire some experience from my dad. The intention is not to take over the business but to keep an eye on it. Keep the family business but delegate the work to a trust worthy person. With time, I can find a way to work at the dealership but it will depend on the type of work I get to do. I certainly don’t want to be only selling cars. My dad spent 80% of the time selling cars even though he was the owner. He did not trust all of his employees. In life, you must know to find the right people for the right job. That is where delegating work is important. If I can only take care of the management part of the business, then…maybe I could envision working full time at that place.

My dad still wants to work another five more years before he retires. I am going to college and pursue a major that will bring me joy. My parents will decide in five years what they want to do with the business and by then, I should have completed my studies. I will have a better idea what I want to do in life. I did explain to me parents to not have high hopes. I just want to be happy in the chosen profession regardless of the income I can make. Yes, I am also a minimalist…and that helps a lot in my decision for my future plans. 

November 26, 2020 00:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.