The River That Led Me To Gold

Submitted into Contest #99 in response to: Begin your story with somebody watching the sunrise, or sunset.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Drama Western

The warmth of it on my skin as I lay half inside my sleeping bag beckoned me awake. As I lay still half asleep and groggy I felt those gentle, peaceful rays lightly kissing my face and arms. The promise of a new day has shown itself to be true. I've spent many nights, even as a child, laying in wait for the sunrise to wake my weary mind. I sleep so well on that mountain side. I've always been in love with those majestic mountains. I've hiked many trails, and have even blazed some of my own.


"God, how are you so creative and masterful to create such beauty?" As I spoke, I looked out into the adjacent field to see a mountain lion walking through the tall grass, completely oblivious to my alerted senses and watchful eyes. That big cat walked off into the trees in the opposite direction of my camp site. I decided it'd be a perfect time to get up, grab a quick breakfast and break camp for the day.


My Mom and Dad taught me about the mountains growing up. They were avid outdoors people too. Well heck, they taught me everything I know!


"Daddy, why can't we just live up here. You and Momma already know everything there is to know about these mountians."


"Luna, we would love nothing more but we have to work to make a living and pay for this house. Plus if we don't work we can't save up enough money to buy some land of our own near them. We have dreams and plans. But your Momma and I have to be near our jobs for those dreams to happen." I remember being lost in daydreams of living in the mountains and started to make a list of things I would need. My 13 year old mind could only think of; "Hhmmmm, to live full time in the forest, I will need; 1. One sleeping bag, 2. a box of matches (cause I don't know how to use one of those flint striking thingy's), 3. a supply of ramen, 4. a few bags of beef jerky, 5. a tent, and oh yeah, 6. can't forget my fishing pole."


I dreamed most everyday of my great adventures that I planned on taking by myself. My teachers caught me staring out the windows in class and always made a point to call on me during class. Of course I had no idea what was being said.


"Luna, if you don't start paying attention in class, you're gonna have to go to the Principles office and call your parents." "I'm sorry Mr. Anderson. I just can't stop thinking about my plans. I have to make sure I'm not forgetting anything."

Mr. Anderson looked confused and quietly decided he would call Momma and Daddy that night. I recall what they said to him. "Well ya know, we've always taught her to think for herself. And this is how she does just that." Daddy, with slumped shoulders finally said, "O.k., o.k. Mr. Anderson, we'll talk to her." Daddy shaking his head in agreement. "Yes, I understand."


I tried to pay more attention in class. But still dreamed of those mountians close enough that I could stare at them from my desk in english class.


I sure miss Momma and Daddy. It was so terrible when they both died in a car wreck on their date night 2 years ago when I was in college. That was the hardest thing I've ever had to go through. When I came back home for the funeral, I stood at the same kitchen sink that my Momma stood at washing dishes and staring out the window above the sink. I saw something familiar and stepped outside. I decided to go see what was in the old shed on the south-west side of the field. It's yellow paint faded over the years. I spotted something in the back. It peaked my curiosity enough to push my way through some clutter in between me and this mysterious object leaning against the shed wall. I used the coller of my shirt to shield my nose and mouth from the layer of dust and dirt sliding off as I tried to uncover what it was. I finally unveiled it to see Daddy and Grandpa's old fishing boat. It's a smaller, flat bottomed metal boat. I remember hearing about this boat and some of the many days spent fishing in it. I was so happy to find the long since forgotten treasure I just giggled with excitement. There was so much built up clutter piled around that I had to push aside to get to it. I managed to pull that boat out and in to the bright sun of the day.

"I gotta find out if she still floats." I didn't see any visible damage but I had to know for sure. Momma and Daddy has a small pond on the property about 50 feet from where I stood and decided I could put her in to test for leaks.


No leaks even with me sitting in it. "Well I'll be, no leaks even after sitting for all this time!"


I couldn't help but think about taking a float trip down the Shiloh River. I've fished on that river before with Daddy about 10 years ago and didn't think it was to fast or windy then. I went into the house and saw my Auntie Pearl in the livingroom sifting through some things in an attempt to get them situated and put away to be stored.


"Hey Auntie, You'd never guess what I found in the old shed in the back yard. Grandpa and Daddy's old fishing boat!"


"Oh yeah, I remember that boat. I just found a picture of them fishing in it from must've been 15 or 16 years ago. They loved to float the Shiloh River in it!"


"yeah I've heard some stories about those days on the river. You know what? I think I'm gonna take her out tomorrow morning. See how far I can get and might even bring my fishing pole and see if I can still catch anything outta that river."


My Auntie helped me pack a few sandwiches and the jerky my buddy gave me that night so I could just grab them and go at first light. She's so thoughtful that way. I had my old poll and reel ready with Daddy's tackle box together by the back door. I could hardly sleep thinking about the coming day. I was up before dawn. (Too bad I'm not this excited about going to school or work every other day.) I already had the boat loaded into my truck bed, jumped in and drove down to Shiloh. I slid her in and pushed away from the rivers edge. As I floated, I got lost in my thoughts. Thinking about my childhood. My family has always loved to be on this river. I remember Grandpa telling me about how his Daddy taught him how to fish, and swim, on this very same river. I smiled through the tears welling up in my eyes. It seemed not very long ago that we took our last camping trip together. We floated all day with several stops on shallow pools to fish.


I was so lost in my memories that I jumped when a cloud overhead erupted with thunder. It was so loud that it felt like it was right above me. I about jumped straight outta my skin!


"How could I have missed that storm rolling in? Wow, girl, you really need to pay attention!" I mumbled to myself.


"I better get off this water and find some kinda shelter til the storm passes." I grabbed my paddles and maneuvered the boat to the shore. As I reached for my lunch box, I stepped out of that boat and tied it's rope to a thick based tree. I floated 5 miles before noon. I was pretty proud of myself for putting so many miles in. I took shelter near an out cropping of a cliff close to were I had been landed and decided to hunker down underneath its shelter for lunch.


I brought out my baggy of homemade deer jerky that my buddy Mike gave me. The taste of the jerky reminded me of the list I wrote at age 13. And said with a grin, "Huh, this brings back memories." As I sat looking out on the trees, the rain slowed to a trickle. I sat a few more minutes and noticed a small puddle with 4 or 5 monarch butterflies fluttering around it landing to take sips of the fresh, cool water.

"Aww, aren't you pretty." Butterflies remind me of my Mom. She always loved those fluttering beauties. She had a tattoo of a blue butterfly on her left shoulder too.


"Mom, you sure are missed. But I see you and Daddy all over these mountains and the river." I said as I slowly nodded my head in remorse.


"According to Daddy's map, it's going to be a challenging stretch of river." As I voiced my pep talk, the birds seemed to stop chirping. I knew that's an immediate que to look around and be on alert. I whispered as though the once very vocal birds knew what I was saying to them, "O.k. little ones, what are ya trying to tell me?" I stopped for a moment to stand still and listen. I didn't hear or see anything, so continued on. I got back to my little boat and untied the rope. As I pushed off, I looked around one last time for any sign of danger lurking . Still didn't spot anything, so began my float further down the river. I floated 2 miles and that's when the ripples and fast moving sections started. I grabbed both paddles and began to paddle in the opposite way of the visible rocks and rolling water.


"Keep your head about ya. Don't let her flip over." That old seasoned boat did great for me.


After managing through that section, I said to the clouds, "Wow, you weren't kidding. That was intense!" I kept floating a ways and taking in all the beauty of the surrounding mountains. I looked at the map and saw a nice camping spot marked with a big red dot. "Hey, I could dock my boat about here." pointing at the map. "that's only a little ways ahead."


I got back onto land and tied my boat up. I brought my lunch box and fishing gear with me. And found a trail probably made by deer walking through this area and navigated my path using Grandpa's old compass. Breaking through some over grown shrubs and branches, trying not to find the prickly end of a thorn.


I came to an opening where I could see the whole valley below. So much beauty as far as the eye could see. The sun was high in the afternoon sky, and it felt warm on my face. I caught a glimpse of something walking down below in the valley. I grabbed my binoculars and sure enough there was a mountain lion. It was too far away from me to be overly concerned about it.


As I walked along the river I decided it was a perfect time to drop my line in the water an see what bites. "I'm gettin hungry for dinner." I laughed "Fish sounds great right now. Perfect chance to try my old lures." I tied one on my line and started casting. Remembering all the times I've used this very same poll and reel throughout the years. I was brought back to the feel of the line shooting out and the waters resistance as I reeled it back in. Some movement just below the surface caught my attention. I thought, "One more cast and I'm sure I'll get 'em." Now focusing on the rhythm I was taught growing up. "Oops, he barely missed it." I swear I could hear my Daddy whispering to me "Try it again."


That hit and tug of the line diving out of my reel told me that dinners on the hook. Through my adrenaline rush I mumbled "Don't lose it, don't let em get off that hook! Reel him in steady." I managed to get that nice sized trout onto the shore. "YES! I'm eatin good tonight!"


I brought my catch to a small camp site only 20 feet from where I caught my fish. I've never camped in this particular spot before, but it looks good enough for the night. I found some small sticks and pieces of kindling around camp that I needed. I was able to get the fire going right as the sun began it's retreat. "


What a great way to end a day. Even with the sudden rain storm slowing me down."


I watched the golden sun set through the trees, as my fish sizzled next to the fire, now blazing. Once my fish had finished sizzling and steaming to perfection, I looked up at the night sky full off endless stars and said "thanks Momma and Daddy for teaching my all it takes to have endless adventures."


As I thought about the day, I smiled to myself, "Wow, one day out here is worth it's weight in gold!"





June 19, 2021 06:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.