0 comments

Fiction Drama Happy

My name is Saibel and I am a chartered accountant running my own firm. One morning as I started work I was surprised to see the following message from a Mr.Nash of Miles and McDougal a firm of attorneys in Texas: ‘Mr.Miguel Ramirez aged 95 passed away on 10th November 2020 in Texas. He was the head honcho of Ramirez Farms which he started. I have been his lawyer since several years and he trusted me fully. In his will, besides other bequests, he leaves $10,000 to his sister’s grandson Saibel, provided he can establish that he (Ramirez) was free of blame in the disappearance of the Scott diamond. He has authorized me to check the details and allot the sum fairly. If for any reason, the sum is not awarded to Saibel, it should be paid to the home for the destitute in Pine Tree, Arizona. His message to you imposing another condition is attached.’

I sat wondering who Ramirez was. He says I am his sister’s grandson. My grandma died years ago. I opened the attachment and read: ’I am a complete stranger as far as you are concerned. You are my sister’s grandson and know that you still have ties with our village – Kambu. When I was 18, I moved out of Kambu and was accused of stealing the ornament set with the Scott diamond. I had nothing to do with the disappearance of that diamond ornament. My given name is Venu and I am the son of the forebear. After leaving Kambu I wandered a lot overseas taking the name Defi, a labourer who died of cholera. I ultimately reached Mexico where I married Dolores, took her family name and came into money. From there I drifted to California where I established Ramirez Farms whose products are well known. It wasn’t an easy task but I had practical experience of farming and Ramirez Farms became quite a money maker. I wanted to clear my name in the family in the case of the missing Scott diamond and have also taken this path to leave some of my money to my kin. There is one condition though: I had a friend Gopi who later turned against me and accused me of being a thief. His grandson is a film actor. He is known to be on drugs. You must expose him and mar his character so that his career is harmed. That would be my vengeance against Gopi! All details about persons mentioned are attached.’

 I sat wondering what I could do to get the bequeathed money. First things first: I recalled what I knew of our family from the village Kambu: The forebear had produced a daughter and a son Venu. Venu’s sister- my grandmom- had passed on. Her daughter was my mom who lived with me. I could  seek clarifications only from her about our family. We had been a family of farmers till I established myself and I had never cared to seek details about the past of our family whom I considered were simpletons!. Now that Ramirez had stimulated interest, I approached my mother that night after giving her details. She was a frail lady with white hair and was dressed in a blue sari with a white blouse. She wore gold framed bifocals over a hooked nose.

She asked “I wonder why that fellow who disappeared and is now dead suddenly gets into an investigation seeking to know details which are no more relevant?”

“Mama, I’m sure it’s a mere rider. He is really identifying himself and wants a part of his money to go to his kin. I don’t mind receiving the money.”

“That Ramirez is definitely Venu.” She stopped and said “There’re things like Venu disappearing and so on, which each family likes to keep secret for their own reasons.”

“Mama, I’m entitled to know if there’re secrets in our family. For instance I never heard about the Scott diamond.”

 “That’s no secret. Okay now that Venu has opened the can of worms I’ll tell you. I know some details which my mother had told me. I’ve also read the autobiographical manuscript authored by Venu’s father in the vernacular - Tamil - which language you don’t know. He had intended it to be published but for unknown reasons it never was. I have it in my custody and I’ve preserved it very carefully. My memory has been failing me and may be some details could be confusing. I’ll clarify whatever I can. I’ll tell you about the Scott diamond first.”

She stopped to drink some water and continued “Scott was a collector, an exalted post under the British rulers of India. His job involved travelling to various geographical regions which were revenue sources to improve revenue and settle grievances. He was also said to be a crack shot and was keen on hunting wild life. Once he was camped near Kambu and was told that a leopard was moving in those parts killing people and livestock. People were not stirring out of their houses for fear of the leopard. Scott at once resolved to kill the beast and went round looking at the spoor. Carrying his gun he chased the animal, and he had it nearing the Kambu temple. He went into the temple, but unknown to him the animal had followed. That was the time he realised that he had run out of ammunition. With only a knife in his belt he stalked the animal which lay hidden. Suddenly the leopard came out of hiding when Scott ran into the sanctum sanctorum. He hid behind the idol with the animal at striking range. He felt this was his end and that he would die mauled by the beast. Realising the great danger he was faced with, he prayed to the deity for courage and help. The leopard as if having second thoughts gave up the attempt to maul the hunter and disappeared. In gratitude to the deity, Scott presented the temple with a large diamond he had obtained during his service in South Africa. That diamond was accepted by Venu’s father who was the head of the temple, and was set in an ornament to adorn the neck of the idol. It is said Scott has recorded his leopard encounter in a book written by him in English. I’ve never read that book as my knowledge of the English language is poor. That ornament was missing when Venu went missing, and it was popularly rumoured that he had walked away with it. The rumour was he had fled the country as he did not even attend his father’s funeral. In fact he had truly disappeared.”

I asked “What you’ve said is all very clear but why did he leave if he hadn’t taken the diamond encrusted ornament?”

Mom thought a little and said “I had told you that Venu’s father had written his life story which  remains in manuscript form. In it he has written that Venu and him had contrary views about division of their landed property. Venu had apparently wanted to cash his share and move out. The father had wanted 2 shares leaving Venu with only one. The father couldn’t substantiate why he needed two shares. Following an altercation Venu had walked out and disappeared. The 2 events of the missing diamond and Venu’s disappearance were patched up and rumours started.”

I said “Mom, why was security so poor at the temple?”

“It was perhaps assumed that divine retribution would follow if temple property is stolen.”

I said “Mom, I feel your grandfather had been unreasonable about sharing his property.”

“It only seems so seen without facts.”

“Why did he want two shares leaving his son only one?”

 She said “Now comes the family secret about which my mom told me. Venu’s father had a liaison with the wife of Mali, the head gardener. Mali had allowed it and was blackmailing my grandfather. The grandfather in his manuscript has made no reference to his liaison. My mother has also said there was no feeling of disaffection between her parents and consequently it was concluded that the liaison didn’t get publicity. Mali was apparently paid off without being given property. The old man had probably wanted 2 shares as he had felt he would be forced by Mali to yield land.”

“How was the ornament with the diamond returned?”

“I wish I knew. It was established that Mali who was a non-believer, had taken it to perhaps trade it for part of Venu’s father’s property. The old man must’ve bought it off from Mali. It seems it was said that whoever took away the ornament gave it back anonymously.”

“There is one more condition to be fulfilled.” I told her about what was needed to be done about actor Gopi’s grandson.

She said “What is your thinking on this condition?”

I said “It could be done as there’re touts who will offer their services.”

She thought a long while and said “If I were you I would reject the money. Besmirching the career of someone whose star is on the ascendant is wrong.”

“I also think so. I had thought I would collect ten thousand dollars. To convince Nash I’ve to file several documents including your grandfather’s manuscript with its translation. It would be a long job. However the family’s secret is safe. I’ll inform Nash of my decision.”

I sent a polite message to Nash turning down the money as I didn’t consider it ethical to fulfil the condition laid down by Ramirez. Surprise on surprise! I got this reply from Nash the next day: ‘There is a condition known only to me. If you turned down besmirching the character of Gopi you get $50,000 dollars instead of $10,000. I await your satisfactorily establishing the first condition to send you $50,000.’ I was taken aback as was my mom!

END

December 13, 2020 08:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.