1 comment

Fantasy Fiction Sad

This story contains sensitive content

TW: Suicide, death, mental health, some slight gore


**NOT RELATED TO PROMPT**

This was an untitled draft for so long, and I'm so happy to say that it's finished!


**


I stand on the shipwreck, watching the frothy waves toss bits of wood and various pieces of soggy furniture around. As I look around, I can see ghostly figures picking their way around the shipwreck, some stopping to talk to one another, others stopping to stare and the gray clouds quickly turning black. Most, however, like me, have stopped to stare at the looming shape on the horizon. I sigh, knowing what it is. My ship. Oh, it's not real. I mean, it is real, but I’m currently standing on the remains of what was once the magnificent Rosebay. The ship in the distance, however, is as ghostly looking as the people around me. As ghostly as me. 


****************************************************************************


I can’t remember how long it’s been since my ship was, well, shipwrecked, but based on the ever increasing amount of sea life on the inside of the ship, I’d say it’s been awhile. I do, however, remember the day when it was shipwrecked. In fact, that day is ingrained in my memory forever. It’s also the only clear memory I have. 


**************************************************************


It was a clear, cloudless day, the day that we set off. My crew and I were headed out to find the legendary treasure of the Ruby Tiger Islands. Unfortunately, since the Ruby Tiger Islands are supposedly a myth as well, there are no maps, but I have reason to believe that they are somewhere in the middle of the Rosfair Ocean. My mother used to sing me a lullaby when I was a child still dreaming of the life of a female pirate. It went like this:


Seek and you may find,

Search, and you may fail.

Treasures of the most divine,

That may only be found if you dare to sail,

In between a world known,

And a place to man unshown,

In between the waters unveiled,

And the waters unsailed,

In between the world on the maps,

And the home of the sirens,

Where there lies a treasure

Of the Ruby Tiger Islands.


Now, you might be asking me, “Why the Rosfair?” Well, the Rosfair Ocean has been largely unexplored 200 miles out past the Southern and Southwestern side of the Kingdom of Brevailly- the large, 4,000 square mile island that I call home. Well, called home. But that day, the day we set out, I just knew that I was meant to be the one to explore those uncharted waters. I think I knew that since the day I was born. Why else would my mother sing me that lullaby? Surely I was the one who would bring home the treasure of the Ruby Tiger Islands. Surely I was the one who would chart the previously uncharted waters. I was skilled in map-making and ship-sailing, having prepared myself for this day. I could weather any storm, be it a regular old thunderstorm or a hurricane or tsunami. I was ready to prove that not only could females be pirates, but they could be better pirates than even the men! So I set out that day, headed off into the unknown, not knowing what I would find, but knowing that it would be something no one could have ever imagined. 


****************************************************************************


Sometime around the third day of smooth sailing, we began to hit rough waters. The skies ahead were quickly turning from white to gray to a hideous, bruised black. Crew members with not-so iron stomachs began to turn a pale, sickly green color. Those who couldn’t quite make it to the edge of the ship threw up on their shoes (and the shoes of those around them). The fishy-smelling vomit that didn’t hit their shoes hit the floor with a splash, lightly sprinkling the unfortunate souls around them with flecks of what had previously been someone’s partially-digested lunch. Fortunately, I was at the wheel, onlooking the disgusting but somewhat amusing spectacle. Unfortunately, rain was starting to pour. Not sprinkle, not a gentle, wind-blown spray on the face, but pour. Almost as though someone was pouring bucket after giant bucket down on us. Everyone was soon soaked to the bone with the freezing rain. Rainwater sloshed around on the deck, mixing with the remains of the puke. 


“Calm down, everyone!” I shouted to my panicking crew mates. Or at least, I tried to shout to them. Unfortunately, the harsh wind whipped my words away. I growled in frustration. It was time for the megaphone. I picked it up from its spot beside the wheel and shouted into it with all my might. “STOP WHINING AND START BAILING OUT THE BLOODY RAINWATER, YOU IDIOTS!” One by one, everyone stopped trying to dodge rainwater and looked at me. Unfortunately, as soon as they did, a wave crashed against the ship, sending everyone tumbling across the deck. Miraculously, none of them went overboard. Everyone grabbed onto the nearest object that was attached to the ship as another monster wave sent the salty ocean water crashing over all of us. I coughed as water flooded through my nose and down my throat. Seconds later, I threw it back up onto my shiny black leather pirate boots. 


Wave after wave began crashing into the ship, some sending a deluge of water flooding the deck, mingling with the rainwater that was still pouring down. Everyone held on for dear life, some sent up prayers, others cursed the bloody sea gods. A few sent nasty glares my way, muttering under their breaths. I'm sure they were cursing me for bringing them here. "Well," I said to myself, "I guess you're walking the plank the second this storm stops." I smiled, knowing I didn't mean it. 

We continued holding on for what seemed like an eternity, until suddenly, the rain stopped as quickly as it had begun. The boat began to stop rocking violently, slowly but surely. The sky was still grey, but we could see the sun shining strongly through the greyness. People began to let go of whatever objects they’d found, looking even greener in the gills than before. Several began looking around for buckets to bail out what water they could, while others began hoisting the sails once more. After inspecting the ship for damages, I determined that we were good to go. “Off we go again,” I said, smiling at my crew. I took my place at the wheel once more and indeed, off we went.


****************************************************************************


Around the fifth day, while we were in the cabin figuring out our next steps, we heard a noise. A very loud, but almost beautiful sound. We rushed out to the deck to find the location of the noise. There! A whale! All around me, I could hear my crew breathe in awe of the sight. But wait! What was that huge greyish lump in the distance? Could it be land? “I say, does anyone else see that lump in the distance?” I asked my crew. They looked to where I was pointing. “Aye, captain, that I do, and” said one of the crew with a pause, “it looks to me like it’s land.” I nodded excitedly, rushing to the wheel to turn the ship in that direction. “Hoist the sails, lads,” I said giddily. “We’ve got some land to catch up to.”


With each passing hour, the land grew closer. In our eagerness to reach it, we failed to keep watch of the sky. Once again, it was quickly growing black. I paid no mind to the ever-growing wind and kept my eyes on the shore that grew closer by the minute. Thunder grumbled and rain began to fall in sheets, but I stayed focused on the goal, although by now it was getting increasingly harder to see. “Lower the sails,” I shouted. “Lower the sails but don’t drop the anchor.” The crew did as they were told, and we continued forth, slowly but surely. Lightning crackled in the distance, and the skies growled their displeasure, but on we went. 


By this point, I couldn’t see past the mast. Suddenly, the sky split with lightning and thunder rumbled a warning, but it was too late. What we’d thought was a shore was, as we could now see, a looming cliff surrounded by huge rocks. I turned the wheel, but it was no use. The waves pushed us forward, and the rocks splintered the boat in half, like a matchstick. One wave after another pushed the boat against the rocks, throwing my crew overboard, one by one. Lightning cracked again, striking the boat this time, sending me flying into the rocks. All around me, I could hear the pleas of help, but I could do nothing to save them. All I could do was grasp the nearest piece of wood and hope for the best. Unfortunately, the best was never to come. A huge wave threw the remaining ship and the crew against the rocks. The cries stopped, and the ship was gone. Suddenly, just like before, the storm stopped as quickly as it had begun. I swam to the nearest rock and climbed on with what strength I had left. There, I waited. 


A day passed, and I rested for as long as I could. Looking at the cliff face closely, I could see a hole near the bottom. A cave! As quickly as I could, I swam over to the rocks at the bottom, and began to climb. I reached the cave quite soon, as the adrenaline was coursing through my veins with fervour. I walked through the cave, keeping my hand on the cool rock wall. I went around what seemed to be a corner, and was met with a wondrous sight- light! Not too far ahead was a beam of light, shining down into the cave. Looking around, I could see what appeared to be another hole, ringed by light. I ran over to it. I pushed and pulled at the rock blocking the hole, but to no avail. Was I to be stuck in this cave until I starved to death? No, I refused. I didn’t come all this way and lose my boat and crew just to be met with defeat and death.


I felt around the cave walls, looking for cracks and crevices that might indicate another way out. Nothing. I kicked the floor in frustration, my foot colliding with a small stalagmite. I heard a click, and suddenly the room was filled with more light than the small hole in the ceiling provided. I rushed to the hole, wasting no time in squeezing my way through. The light was blinding, and as I stood up, I blinked away the stars. “I’ve made it to the Ruby Tiger Islands,” I whispered to myself. But as the stars subsided and my eyes adjusted to the light, I saw with dismay that I was wrong. This was not the place I’d been searching for. It seemed like it could hardly be called an island. This was a vast sea of rocks surrounded by a few miles of cliffs. 


Blinking away the tears, I forced myself to look around, hoping that this was all a dream and that I’d wake up. Look, there’s a path. It seems to be leading up. Maybe there’s something there? I began the tedious ascent, stopping every now and then to catch my breath and wonder where my crew mates were. Maybe they were waiting for me at the top. Maybe my family was there too. Yes, I can hear them, they must be waiting for me. They’re waiting for me at the top of paradise. Is that music? Mmm, I can smell ripe mango. I hurried up the last bit of the path. Yes, there they are! All my friends and family are here. And there’s my crew! Oh! They’re thanking me for finding paradise for them. What’s that ringing noise? Is there a celebratory bell, too? Why is everyone getting so fuzzy? Am I crying? I wipe my eyes, trying to blink away the fuzziness. Why are they fading away? Why is the ringing getting louder? I blink again and again, shaking my head to stop the ringing. The laughter and music fades, and the smell of mangoes and coconuts becomes the sharp smell of saltwater. What’s happening? 


I open my eyes, feeling faint and dizzy. Why am I on the ground? I sit up, and look around. Where did everyone go? Why am I at the edge of a cliff? I look down, and stifle a scream. The entirety of my crew is floating in the water, broken, bloated bodies banging against the rocks, their rotten flesh breaking off with every wave. Suddenly I realise that I’ve been up here for days. My stomach growls with hunger, my legs shaking as I try to stand up. I crawl away from the edge of the cliff, away from danger. What will I do? There’s nothing for miles but rock, no sign of rescue, no food, fresh water, no ship. There’s no hope. I close my eyes as the ringing starts again. I can hear laughter once more, but this time coming from the bottom of the cliff. I stand up shakily, walking over to the edge again.



What? How is that possible? My crew is standing on the rocks, beckoning me. “Come join us,” they say, laughing merrily. “Come on, we’ve been waiting for you!” I shake my head, not believing what my eyes are showing me. “Come on, just jump down and join us!” My head spins, my legs buckle under my weight. They look so happy, though. I weigh my options: I could stay up here and starve, or I can, as they said, jump down and join them. They look like they’re having fun. I make up my mind, backing away from the edge, and walk over to the path, away from the cliff’s edge. Then I turn around and run. Adrenaline courses through my veins once more as I run straight the the edge of the cliff, and take a leaping jump. Looking down, all I see are the broken, distended bodies of my crew. I crash into the rocks, and finally, the ringing in my ears has stopped.


****************************************************************************

Once again, I stand on the shipwreck, watching the frothy waves toss bits of wood and various pieces of soggy furniture around. As I look around, I can see ghostly figures picking their way around the shipwreck, some stopping to talk to one another, others stopping to stare and the grey clouds quickly turning black. Most, however, like me, have stopped to stare at the looming shape on the horizon. I sigh, knowing what it is. My ship. Oh, it's not real. Well, it is real, but I’m currently standing on the remains of what was once the magnificent Rosebay. The ship in the distance, however, is as ghostly looking as the people around me. As ghostly as me.

August 24, 2023 00:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

00:08 Aug 24, 2023

Please don't hesitate to point out any flaws that this might have! I'm open to all criticism and feedback! Thank you! <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.