1 comment

Drama Latinx Teens & Young Adult

March 2019


1265 Willow Lane. That's where I live. It's where I've lived all my life. It's a really old building made in late 80's. It's brick surface, with white tilted floors and Beige walls.


My family has lived in this big building for the past 40 years. My parents met here too. Mom and dad fell in love at age 15, had me 5 years after. Then my younger brother and sister.


"Luis!" my mom yells. "Luis Angel Garcia, come here now!" She yelled my full name.


I curse in my head. That couldn’t be good. I roll my eyes, getting off my bed "Going!" I yell back.


"Oooooh someone's in trouble", my brother teases.


I flick his forehead. "Be quiet squirt. I'm not in trouble."


I make my way to the kitchen and I'm met with my mom. She looks at me seriously, "Mami what's wrong?"


"These dishes. Luis I told you to wash them."


"Ma.... I told you I was going downstairs to Matias' house."


"A mi no me gusta ese muchacho. I don't like him."


"Mami you hate all of my friends."


"Maybe because you need better friends."


"Ah mami, you always say the same thing."


"Because you always need to hear it. Tu no eschucas Luis."


I roll my eyes. "Fine, I'll wash them now. You happy?"


"That's not the point Luis. Why don't you listen to me.” She crosses her arms, “You know, I have no problem calling your papi."


"Okay, okay. I'll listen. Just don't call him."


"That's what I thought."


"I don't even know why you're so hard on me. Sebastian and Elisa are your children too."


"Don't compare yourself to them. They know when to respect me, and they always listen too."


"Whatever." I turn around and start washing. Every dirty dish turned cleaned, scrubbed and polished. Shiny and new. I dry them and put them back in the cabinets. "I'm done mami. Hey can I ask you something?”


“Que paso?”


“Can I go to the party later?"


"What party?"


"At Matias' house. He's inviting all the kids from the building."


"No Luis, you can't go."


"Mami why not?"


"Because I said so."


"That's so unfair. I'll be the only kid not there."


"Okay good. The cops will probably stop that party in two hours. They always have drugs and alcohol anyways."


"You're so boring. You never let me live.”


“Luis. I let you live. Just not the way you want to.


“I swear you were put on this earth to bother me. I bet you've always been this uptight."


"Luis I wasn't always like this. I was fun, I was cool. But when I lost someone close to me because I was too busy 'having fun' it opened my eyes."


"What?"


"Luis have you ever wondered why I named you Luis Angel?"


"No. I just thought you picked it."


"Your papi and I named you after a very important person in our life. He had the same name. My cousin, your dad's best friend."


"What happened to him?"


"Let me tell you a story."


March 1999


"Luis! Hurry up", Rafael says.


"Bebe he's coming, wait."


"Marisol, he's taking forever."


I look at my boyfriend "Just be patient."


"Mari you know I don't have patience."


"Yes, but I do. You see that's why we work so well. We have what the other person lacks."


He smiles, kissing my forehead, "Te amo Mari."


"Te amo tambien Rafa."


Luis walks down the stairs and he meets us. "Rafa, I could hear you from the top floor. What's wrong?"


"We are waiting for you."


"Rafa you know it's not easy looking this good." Luis motions to his body smiling.


"Ay Luis please, deja eso."


I crack a smile, laughing a bit. "Let him have his fun Rafa. He needs his beauty routine. It's not his fault he isn't naturally beautiful like you."


Luis stops smiling, his dark brown eyes giving me a serious stare. "Marisol, really?"


We all burst out laughing. "So are we gonna go to school or not?" I say.


"Okay Mari, let's go."


Our school was a couple blocks down the street. 'Willow Lane High School'. It was a very diverse school. Latinos, African Americans, Asians and Caucasians. Each had their own clique.


We walk through the hallways, Los Tres Mosqueteros, The Three Musketeers. That was us. Luis, Rafael and me, Marisol.


Luis was my cousin. We were born a day apart, so needless to say we were really close. We were connected by the hip as they say. Where you saw Luis, I wasn't far behind. Then Luis met Rafael, a boy who moved into our building. We grew to be really close and before we knew it, we got our name. Me and Rafa started dating last year. It has been the best year of my life.


We stop in front of class 302. "I have Bio now", Luis says.


"Yeah me too bebe", I add.


"Oh alright I'll see you later Lu", they fist bump. "Adios mi amor." Rafael kisses me, walking away.


First, second and third period fly by quickly. And it was already lunch.


Luis and I make our way to the west side of the cafeteria where Rafa was already seated. "Hey guys", Rafa greets us.


"What's for lunch?" Luis asks.


"Meatloaf."


"Oooh I'll pass. Mami packed me lunch."


I chuckle, "Luis, Tia still packs you lunch?"


"What? You got a problem? She knows I'm picky. She's the only woman in my life that understands me."


"So is that why you're a virgin?", Rafa laughs.


I shove him lightly, "Rafael, don't say that."


"Oh please Rafael. If it wasn't for me introducing you to Marisol, you would be one too."


"But I'm not." He teases.


"Rafa, I mean it stop.", I look at him serious.


"Cuidado Rafa, she won't give it up to you. She's very protective of me", Luis taunts.


Rafael rolls his eyes, "Ay whatever, can we just eat please."


"As you wish sir."


"Hey, did you guys hear about that party that's happening in the building?", Luis asks.


"What party?", Rafa and I say in unison.


"The party at Christopher's place."


"Luis isn't he the one in that gang", Rafa looks at him.


"Yeah but he invited me. I think we should go. It will be fun."


"Since when do you know Chris?"


"Since I helped him in History."


"Does Tia know?"


"No she thinks I'm sleeping over at Rafa's apartment."


"Since when do you lie to Tia?"


"Marisol please. Don't start, it's just a party."


"Yeah just a party", I mock.


"Are you down Rafa?"


"Hell yeah."


"Rafa...", I stare at him.


"Come on. I'll be there to make sure he's alright."


"Fine. I'm going too. You locos can't be trusted alone."


"Yes! The whole gang's going!" Luis gets up shouting.


"Luis. Be quiet." I laugh, dragging him back down.


"Sorry. Okay so at 10:00 we'll meet at your apartment Mari."


"Alright."


----------------------------------------------------------------


School passed by quickly and it was already 10:15. I had no idea what to wear. I had a whole bunch of outfit ideas laid out on the bed, looking to see which was best.


"We're here Mari!" Rafa screams from a distance.


"Going! Give me a minute."


I scan my bed and finally decide to put on my black tight jeans and my red shirt. I put on my black Jordan's. I take a last look in the mirror, my curves and body looking amazing. "Lista", I whisper to myself.


I walk to the living room and immediately Rafa's eyes land on me. He whistles, "Wow, my girlfriend is hot."


I do a little spin, my long dark brown hair spinning as well. "You like?"


Rafa eyes open wide, "I love. Come here."


I walk up to him and he gropes my ass, squeezing lightly. "And your ass looks amazing. Shit, I am lucky." He kisses me.


"Can you guys leave that for after the party. I can feel my lunch making it's way back up."


We break the kiss, "You're just jealous Lu. You'll get a girl soon. And then you'll be just like Mari and I."


We walk downstairs to the 5th floor. Opening Chris' apartment we all walk in. Almost all the Latino kids from our school were here. Chris makes his way to us. He hugs Luis and the looks at me.


"Rafael you have the most beautiful woman in this house. If only she was mine. The things I'd do."


"Don't talk about Marisol like that."


Chris puts his hands up in defeat. "Okay, I'm sorry", he laughs. "So... the alcohol is over there and Jeremy has the drugs. Enjoy I guess."


"Thanks Chris", I say dryly.


"Hey, um Luis can I talk to you for a minute."


Me and Rafa look at Luis. He puts his arm on my shoulder, "I'll be back. Loosen up. Have some fun."


Chris and Luis disappear into the crowd. "Rafael I don't like this. Let's just go home."


"Come on Mari. You look beautiful tonight, let's dance." Rafael drags me by the arm to the living room, which was now a dance floor.


As the music blasts my body becomes less tense and I let loose. My body begins to flow with the music and get lost in the feeling. I loved dancing, one of my favorite things.


The song ends and another starts. Rafael and I just dance, drinking some alcohol. Time passes by and we don't even notice.


I stop dancing for a second, "Rafael we should look for Luis."


"He is fine Mari."


"Rafael, please."


Rafael rolls his eyes and he follows me. We make our way around the apartment, looking in every room. We don't see Luis or Chris anywhere. "Maybe he went home." Rafa says.


"No he wouldn't have left without telling me. Let's check outside."


We walk out the door and see Luis and Chris talking. “See Marisol I told you he was fine.”


Out of nowhere a teen walks up to them with a gun. He waves it at Chris and then at Luis. "Rafa-"


"This is for Grace", the guy yells and shoots, again, and again, and again, and again. Five times the bullet is shot. Five times I feel my heart break.


Luis and Chris fall on the floor and I yell. The guy looks at us and runs away. "Luis!" I run up to him and he is bleeding out.


"Rafael go help Chris, I got Luis."


Chris was shot in the abdomen and his shoulder. Luis in the chest, three times. "Oh my god Luis. That's a lot of blood." Tears start falling down my face. I take off my shirt and apply pressure.


"Mari...", he tries to speak.


"Luis don't speak.” I look around, trying to find someone. “HELP! Someone! CALL THE POLICE!" People begin to come out his apartment, crowding us and they take out their phones. Some recording, some calling 911.


"Marisol...", Luis cries.


"Yes Lu. What's wrong?"


"Tell my mom I love her."


"No Luis. You're not dying. The ambulance is coming and we are going to get you to the hospital." I cry even more.


"Mari." He holds my face, wiping my tears. "I love you so much. But- you know I won't make it."


"Yes! Yes you will. Luis don't talk like that."


Blood begins to spill out his mouth, his eyes closing. "Luis look at me! Luis! You're not dying."


"We will always be, Los Tres Mosqueteros", he says before closing his eyes.


"Luis! Come back. Luis!" I shake his body but he doesn't respond. "Luis! Come on. It's me Marisol, your cousin." I couldn’t control my emotions anymore. Tears stream down my tan face uncontrollably.


Rafael next to me, begins crying. "Luis, come on listen to Mari. Just wake up. Luis!"


The ambulance comes and they tell us to get out of the way. "Who are you?" the man asks me, putting a blanket over my cold body.


"Mar-" I choke. "Marisol, he is- was my cousin. His name is Luis Angel Guerrero."


I fall to the ground, my feet failing me. Rafael catches me as I break down in his arms.


My mom and Tia Marta, come running down the stairs after hearing all the commotion. They make they way to us. "Que paso?! What happened?" My mom says.


"Luis- he-", I choke up once more.


Rafael holds me closer. "He's dead Marta."


Tia Marta, Luis mom, starts crying and she watches the ambulance take him away in a body bag. "Mi hijo! My son!" She holds her heart, as if she lost a piece of herself. Luis was the only thing she had left after my uncle had passed away.


Evidence of Luis paints the tilted floors. The ground that was once white, is painted a dark red. His DNA everywhere. They take away Chris in a stretcher, barely breathing.


Luis’ life was stripped from this earth. I watched his soul slowly die in my arms. I had lost my cousin, my best friend, my other half, all in one day. He wasn’t supposed to go this early. There were so many things I had planned for us. All those plans died, just like Luis. Today was one of the worst days of my life.


March 2019


My mom cries even harder, as the story reaches it’s end. Tears of my own falling as well. I wipe hers and hug her tightly.


“I’m sorry that happened to me mami. I didn’t know.”


“I know mijo. Your papi and I never told you because it hurts just to say out loud.” She sniffles, letting go. “Luis meant everything to us. And without him we were nothing. We promised that if we ever had a boy, we would name him after Luis. And we did. Everyday you remind us more of him. You are the spinning image of him.”


“Really?”


“Yes his smile, his personality, his stubbornness. You have it all.”


“I’m glad you named me after him. It seems like I would’ve loved him a lot.”


“Yes you would’ve.” She kisses my forehead.


“Can we visit his grave one day?”


“Yes we can. I would really love that. I love you Luis Angel.”


“I love you mami.”


March 15, 2021 04:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

00:24 Mar 25, 2021

Pleasant read but I wondered why someone had to die over nothing. Senseless violence I feel there’s enough of that in the news. The best of it was the dialogue.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.