3 comments

Adventure Fiction Science Fiction

        MARS by Kryste Andrews

After one full hour, Nikolai’s effort to break through Mars’ rocky exterior ends, fruitless. The raw sound of the jackhammer-like apparatus still works on Stanislav’s nerves. He grumbles, irritated by the failure to make a dent in the lava-like landscape.

What a ridiculous instrument to bring on a mission of so much import. A primitive tool, like father used to wield while breaking up concrete, not sophisticated enough for space exploration. Who decided it would be compatible with the surface of Mars? That was the first wrong step. Now what?

We try where surface is softer - over there.” 

The suggestion from Nikolai sounds too much like an order to Stanislav and he grumbles at the underling’s bravado. Having no better idea, however, he waves in the direction of the so-called “softer surface.”

“Go there!” His voice, coming from inside the helmet, sounds like a gurgle instead of the pristine tone promised by the team. He will have to resort to using the gadget built into his space suit as more complex communications become necessary.

 Another blunder, great Commander Grigoryvich. You should have to try communicating with this sweat-filled orb sitting on your shoulders. Stanislav’s disgust for his superior officer spools in his mind - a tumbleweed of discontent.

He had gained the commander’s trust by appearing impressed, eager to do his bidding. Deception comes easily to Stanislav. Early in his life, he wove a web of pretense, initially to trip up his father and avoid ‘the strap.’ Later, after he saw how well his deceit worked, he began using it to pave his way to power in the Russian army and then in the world of space travel.

Slowly, the four men trundle across the rocky landscape, slipping on red mud, shoving aside the small trees on the way.

“Here!” Nikolai shouts and angles the toe of his boot to mark the spot. He grabs the jackhammer and aims it directly into a tiny, watery shaft. A whine is amplified in the narrow canyon as metal connects with the grit of lava. The sound is not encouraging, but Nikolai persists.

Stanislav waits a decent amount of time before speaking. His voice drips with scorn.

“We have the wrong equipment. This will not pierce the surface of Mars, no matter where we try. We will break the tool and our backs, as well, if we are foolish enough to continue.”

A crackling noise is heard from the leader’s space suit, but the message is unintelligible. It comes from the man standing miles above them at the rim of the high canyon wall. The men look up and shade their eyes with their hands. They make out an outstretched arm, the index finger pointing at the wall of the canyon.

All eyes turn towards the wall, seeking an object or a focus point of some kind. They see nothing of interest. Heads swivel back and forth several times between the pointing finger and a general position on the wall before Stanislav shakes his head and holds out his arms with thumbs pointing downward in a fail signal.

The signaler, Mikhail, makes a grand gesture, pointing to his eyes and then back at the wall. The men on the ground swivel their heads again, narrow their eyes and lean forward, willing themselves to see what the man above is seeing.

Suddenly, Sergei, short and stocky and nicknamed Shorty, makes a whooping sound and pumps his arm in the air, pointing in the direction of the men’s gaze. “Eyes!” he shouts. “On the wall! Eyes!”

As one, the four men catch sight of the iris-shaped eye. They stare in silence, stunned, wondering why it took them so long to recognize the carving in the rock. Is it a cave?  

Stanislav is first to move toward the shape. Only a slight slushing of wet boots breaks the silence as the others follow. They reach the wall and stand in a semi-circle to register what appears to be an opening, so well-disguised it is virtually undetectable from where they stood on the floor of the canyon. They exchange looks, the same question on each man’s mind:  How can a doorway exist in the rock wall?

Stanislav glances up at Mikhail, pacing and gesturing in celebration. He makes sweeping gestures as if encouraging the men to move closer. His excitement races down the steep canyon. Go! Go! Go!

It’s Stanislav’s move. He’s in charge, but at a loss for what to think or do since this unexpected find does not exist in the explorer’s training. The disciplined leader prides himself on following orders. He is rarely called upon to make decisions with nothing to guide him.

As he hesitates, the iris of the carved eye seems to beckon to him. He is certain the well-hidden carving is an opening, but where will it lead them?

Stanislav meets the gaze of each man, one by one, and feels their eagerness to push on. There is no stopping now, he realizes.

Feeling a surge of adrenalin, the leader steps into the circle and then into the cave carved into the rock wall. Inside is a shimmery doorway. The glistening light illuminates the way and Stanislav continues through the door and onto a path. The men follow and the opening behind them closes. Panic threatens, but there is no turning back.

“Of course,” Stanislav mutters to himself, “Commander Grigoryvich somehow missed this little detail - an underground world, perhaps a civilization, beneath the surface of Mars.” He’s half-joking but his heart pounds as he wonders if they will encounter Beings. If so, are we to be welcomed? The hidden doorway means they don’t encourage visitors.

The men enter a cavern of light, the magnificent arched roof natural, not carved. They move, dreamlike, led by light larger than the cavern itself. A huge lava tube is sighted in front of the men and they descend steps with no railings, waterfalls crashing down huge rock walls on both sides of the path.

The area widens and the men notice this is carved space, full of small caves. Stanislav is vaguely aware of a floating sensation and he observes the others walking differently, lighter, barely touching the steps. What’s happening to us?

A glowing Being with an oblong face appears not far away and stands still amidst rocks, outside one of the small caves. Clothed in a white robe, it exudes no particular energy, no hostility, and is lit from behind with a bright light emanating from the cave.

The four men walking behind their leader are staying close together but have stopped communicating. Stanislav turns to them to determine if they see the Being. It is then he is aware of the word ‘deactivated.’ 

Was it spoken? Stanislav didn’t hear anything. A strange sensation comes over the leader as he realizes the word appeared in his awareness on its own, without a sound.

He looks at the Being and knows the message came from that presence. It is not a masculine or feminine presence and the leader cannot detect a human form under the robe.

At least I still have my own thoughts. My brain is not deactivated. Small favors. Stanislav is suddenly aware of a lack of emotion. Why don’t I feel afraid?

Nothing to fear here. The answer appears in his awareness.

Ok, good, he thinks. Warmth exudes from the Being. You heard me? The leader knows the answer to his question before it forms.  I know your thoughts.

Do my men know your thoughts? Do they know my thoughts? Stanislav turns to the four men, forming a question, but stops as the answer hits him. It is strong as if all four men sent the answer at the same time.

I know your thoughts. What has happened to us?                

The answer forms, but it does not come from Stanislav. We communicate this way and since you have joined us, we will communicate this way with you.

A calm settles over the group and it seems the most natural thing to be here in this lighted set of caves with steps leading in various directions. Stanislav knows the peacefulness emanates from the Being and the light and the very cave walls. All thoughts of earth and the bitterness towards his commander leave him and he is filled with the knowledge that this is all there is, all there ever was and all that ever will be . . . right here.

Why do you live here? Have you ever existed on the surface of your planet? What do you eat? Do you have to eat to sustain your presence? All the questions crowd in and form without Stanislav monitoring them. Answers come immediately.

We live under the surface because this is where the water is. We have never lived on the surface. We do not wish to be seen. We do not eat as you do. Mouths are not needed for eating, so they are smaller than yours. Our ears are also smaller since we communicate through what you call mental telepathy.

The men move forward and enter a large cave with a shaft rising upwards. They are aware of information. This is where the ships go in order to exit our planet.

Ships appear now. The men gaze intently but do not see a full exterior, only a domed top and flat bottom. The interior is solid material and visible. They do not ask a question, but their curiosity is acknowledged.

From within, you can see outside as if nothing exists between you and the stars, planets, etc. The ships exist on a different dimension than humans can fathom and so cannot be seen by the human eye. There is no measurement of their movements. They move faster than humans can comprehend. 

Anyone on the outside cannot see the structure. We use them to watch the earth. Why? Because we want to make sure we are never discovered by humans. You are the first of the destructive humans to visit us and now you must make a choice: Do you want to return to earth with your memories of our civilization wiped clean or do you want to stay?

In a flash, pictures of life on planet earth appear to Stanislav, pictures representing his lifelong need to hide his truths, his beliefs, emotions, needs. For a second, the familiar disgust returns to him, the disdain he feels for most people he has known, people like his cruel father, his inept commander, the women who passed through his world and left not a trace of love or kindness behind. 

The flash is gone and Stanislav knows he will stay. A warm glow suffuses his body and he knows he has shifted out of his earthly identity. He feels the softness of the white robe covering his skin and he is at peace. There will be more changes as he joins the ancients, but for now, the knowledge of existence in its highest, purest form, is his. It is enough. 

He looks to the others. The one known as Shorty is robed now and his new Being exudes the same warm glow. The other three have made their choice to return to earth and resume their lives, with no memory of this time under the surface of Mars.

The three turn and are led back to the hidden doorway. They disappear from view. 

Stanislav and Shorty follow the Light Being through tunnels and across bridges to a vast, spacious arena. A huge building sits in the center with high ceilings supported by tall columns – a temple filled with light. A ceremony of acceptance is prepared.

Swirls of light and brilliance surround the two Light Beings and their new existence is without humanity’s pain, anguish and fear. They retain no memory of life on planet Earth, nor do they remember their earthly names. Their heads become larger and the bodies take on a different shape, skinny and almost weightless.

They celebrate being Light . . . throughout the Universe.

August 28, 2021 01:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

John Hanna
01:55 Sep 06, 2021

It's hard to write of a possible encounter and not sound silly. You did it very well and I look forward to further efforts.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Patrick Otvos
00:25 Sep 03, 2021

Great imagination. I think if you had a scene where Stanislav and commander Grigoryvich butt heads in a heated dialogue would have dramatized the nature of humans. Show not tell. Nice descriptions of the caves and wall carvings. I liked how you introduced the mind reading. All emotions are quieted down and there is a sense of peace. Nice twist with the humans turning into an alien form with big heads and small mouths, and in the end a being of light. Keep on writing.

Reply

Kryste Andrews
19:23 Oct 01, 2021

Thanks for your kind words and your good suggestion, Patrick. I agree, the beginning could be more informative. I'm a hypnotherapist specializing in "other lives" and my clients regularly go into space and to other planets. It's fascinating to hear what they see and experience while in an altered state and the sessions are becoming part of my fictional stories, I find. Most of this story is from my imagination but definitely stimulated by a client's trip. This work is endlessly illuminating. Thanks for the encouragement. I will keep on ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.