0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Mystery

Over a hundred years ago, colored letters were the most popular form of art. A young group of witches and wizards, who called themselves Barrentide, developed a unique form of parchment. This parchment was colored in unique shades, as requested by the buyer, before a spell was put on it. The entire process was special and there were never two pieces that were created the same. But as time passed, certain colors began to carry certain meanings. Red parchment was commonly used to deliver urgent messages. Green was used for special announcements and invitations. Various shades of pink, which seemed to be the most popular, were used throughout the city as a romantic gesture. 

But after a few years of booming success, the Barrentide vanished without a trace. No one ever knew what became of them. And just as quickly, the spell-binding parchment vanished from the city. 

And yet, after so many years of colorless pages, a purple envelope sat on Miss Marnie Green’s doorstep. It wasn’t addressed to the young woman, but she picked it up and slipped back inside of her home.

Miss Marnie Green was a very simple woman. She lived in a small cottage on the very edges of the main city. She kept to herself and only had a small white cat named Milo to keep her company. 

Which is why the appearance of the letter was even more mysterious. She had no family and no friends to whom she would write to or receive letters from. Deep down she knew for certain the envelope wasn’t for her. 

“I’ll reseal the envelope when I’m finished.” She said to herself, settling down on a chair in the garden. “No one will ever know.”

Milo leapt into her lap and watched as his owner tore open the side of the envelope. Marnie pulled out the colored slip of parchment that was folded inside. The piece of parchment was a beautiful pale purple, with lilies and orchids surrounded by swirling vines, which were painted in a shimmering gold. 

Marnie could only stare at the piece of art in front of her. It was disappointing such a beautiful art was lost to the world. She held it up above her head and watched in awe as the golden lines began to twist and move around the paper until it spelled out three words. 

Fold the paper.

After a brief moment, the shimmering art returned back to its normal form. Marnie looked between the cat on her lap and the piece of purple parchment. 

“What am I supposed to fold it into?” 

She looked down towards her cat again, as if expecting a logical answer, but only got a small meow. Again, she held up the paper towards the sun, hoping for more detailed instructions or another hidden message, but failed to find any. Around the garden, birds dipped down into the bushes and up into the sky again, riding a wave of wind. Marnie watched and smiled as an idea finally came to her. 

As a girl she was taught how to fold a crane out of a small piece of paper. She made nearly a hundred throughout her childhood and kept each one. A crane made from this paper would add nicely to her childhood collection. 

Marnie hummed as she folded, feeling a swell of happiness as the purple and gold parchment began to take the shape of a small crane. A warm breeze blew through the garden, sending pink rose petals through the air. Somewhere nearby, music played, serenading her as she worked. Milo leapt from her lap and stretched and gave a content meow as his mistress finally held up her piece of art. 

“Finished!” She beamed as the paper crane glistened. It was perfect. 

A gust of wind suddenly pulled the crane from her hand and into the air. It landed a few feet away and she quickly moved to grab it before stopping short. It had begun moving. The perfect purple crane, with carefully folded lines, began to twist and shudder as if being controlled by an unknown force. It grew tall and slender, and the single piece of paper began to turn into a thousand narrow pieces resembling feathers. 

A crane suddenly stood in front of Marnie, a single goldeneye carefully watching her. It was still made of paper, carrying the purple and floral pattern as before, yet it was alive

Marnie stood frozen, trembling as the paper bird took a step towards her. Then it spoke, its voice low and haunting.

“Hmm, you were not who I was expecting,” The bird tilted its purple head. “Yet, you completed the task.”

“What are you?” Marnie asked, slowly steadying herself.

The crane suddenly opened its beak and laughed. “I am but a spell. And I come with another message. You completed the task, though not given to you, and now I am obligated to bring you to my master.”

“But who..?”

“Does it matter? You can have endless opportunities, if you only come with me.”

Marnie picked up her small white cat and looked towards the crane. Its head began to tilt at an unnatural angle, a single unwavering gaze watching her every movement. Purple paper feathers fluttering in the warm breeze.

"Make you decision, girl. I do not have all of eternity."

Marnie Green looked around her little garden, the flowers and trees and birds that she had taken so much comfort in. And yet it wasn't enough. And she made up her mind. 

“Alright. I'll come with you.” 

“Wonderful!” 

The crane’s beak stretched into something that seemed to resemble an ominous smile and Marnie wondered about her spontaneous decision. What was this mystical creature up to? She wrapped her arms around Milo, who only purred and seemed to be completely unphased by the unnatural creature in front of them. Maybe it's for the best, she thought, staring back towards the crane. They stood quietly a moment, staring at each other, before the paper bird stretched its wings and took to the sky. And Marnie, a sudden peace settling over her, silently followed. 

August 25, 2023 05:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.