26 comments

Mystery Fiction Speculative

I liked to think other people viewed the six of us as Knights at the Round Table—if knights wielded keyboards, notebooks, and expansive imaginations in favor of swords and metal armor. 

My armor couldn't be seen by the naked eye. It lived, breathed, and pulsed beneath my skin, a sparkling amalgamation of cosmic horror, fantasy, romance, and science fiction, unable to take any one single form, instead a constantly shifting, living thing I fed upon with each written word.

I glance at the others, my five knights, as they laugh and bicker. Candy wrappers litter the giant wooden table, pens and notebooks strewn about. Though I hate to miss even a single moment of debate, the stale coffee by the computer stations has been calling to me. 

A caffeine fix to sate my inner insomniac fiend, I use the coffee to make the waking hours more interesting or maybe just to keep me aware enough to witness them all. When the sun goes down, those who walk beneath the stars, who only come out at night, feather the lines between chaos and control, and though I don't prescribe to the anarchy, it's a beautiful thing to watch.

I'm not supposed to have a favorite, but I do, and it's Prudent. She's funny but doesn't mean to be. Her tone is acerbic, manner of speech abrasive, and her strange obsession with police procedurals is both perplexing and apropos of her general personality. During our monthly hangout, where we discussed our writing projects, she once told us that she gets her stories' ideas from obnoxious bumper stickers.

Today's inspiration came from a silver Toyota Tacoma with a rear cab sticker that read, "Think Twice, 'Cause I Won't," alongside an image of a shotgun. The group spent the next twenty minutes debating everything from the legality of the sticker's claim to Prudent's literary intentions with the phrase.

This led Enthusiast down a rabbit hole toward medieval weaponry and its merits in modern times, which then led to her next Based On A True Story idea about some obscure siege in 16th century Munster Germany. Enthusiast, aptly nicknamed, tends to get overzealous in her story ideas.

"It's not that I disagree, I just think you're aiming a little high," Logic gently argued. "400,000 words is never going to get published as a debut." Oddly enough, Logic leans toward Sci-fi, though her tendency to obsess over plausibility and plot holes despite the material covering everything from both time and intergalactic space travel to speculative fiction mind control gets slightly confusing as it’s all theoretical anyway.

"What's this pitch again?" Capricious asks like she's only just now tuning in. Usually, she's stoned, and most of her pieces are unfinished streams of consciousness. But she brings levity to the group, and I like her poetry. It reads well when I can't sleep or think with any real coherence.

Enthusiast, the one with lofty, unattainable dreams, resumes her point. "Okay, let me try this again. It's the 16th century. Anabaptists have taken control of Munster. We've got sex, we've got scandal, we've got religious zealots, we've got death and violence and intrigue," her eyes and smile grow wider, snapping her fingers with every hot point she makes. "It's based on a true story. It's brilliant."

We knights stare, first at her, then at each other. The brilliant idea fades like a dimming light behind her eyes the quieter the table gets. It would take too long to write, we all plead silently. It's too big. There aren't enough resources in English. It would never get published. So many reasons to let it go.

"You guys, a group of religious zealots took control of the city, and they barricaded themselves in, claimed polygamy was God's will, rounded up all the—"

Romantic clears her throat, "I dunno. The world is already such a bummer. Maybe you should consider something lighter. You know, a romance really only needs to be 50, maybe 60,000 words? You'd have already written, like, five books!" She smiles brightly, but it's a deception. Don’t think for one moment that she writes sweet love stories and not hard-core alien erotica. 

Someone from one of the computer stations along the wall of the library pushes out of their chair, the metal feet scraping against the ancient wooden floor. I forgot for a moment that we weren't alone. Open 24 hours a day during the school year, the library is typically quiet and empty and my favorite place to spend the long, lonely waking hours of my nights when I can't sleep. 

The six of us lucked out, finding each other. Strolling in one night, drawn in by the sign hanging outside the building claiming free book rentals with each library membership—the librarian thought she was clever, but it made me laugh—it was raining, and though I’d loved to read it’d been years since I’d stepped foot inside an actual library.

Marveling at the card catalog near the back of the building, a real one with cards and stamps and long narrow drawers, I met Logic, and we daydreamed together about a world in which analog remained predominant in our daily lives. We got to talking, one thing led to another, and we found ourselves returning each week, same time, same place, chatting into the early morning hours, debating everything from philosophy to politics. 

Slowly, one by one, our four other knights found us, and we established our monthly meet-up, discussing our personal writing projects and, sometimes, life's adventures and how they inspire us.

Torn from the reverie, my bladder forces my attention toward the bathrooms. Plus, I want coffee, regardless of how bad it might taste. 

I don’t bother asking if anyone else will want some, so I push out of my chair and tread tiredly to the bathroom, then find myself at the neglected coffee table. The orange-tipped carafe sits atop a hot plate, the stench of stale coffee beans blending with the rich, musty amber aroma of old books warming my belly. 

When I return to the table, I pause. 

No candy wrappers, scattered pens, or notebooks.

No knights.

I stare at the cold, empty seats for a moment, glancing between each chair tucked neatly into place under the round table and at my laptop, the screensaver bouncing around soundlessly. 

I pull out my chair, grip the mouse, and shake my computer to life. Sounds of laughter and bickering resume, a grin tugging my cheek to the right. Prudent, Logic, Enthusiast, Romantic and Capricious all fill the seats around me.

"Alright, where were we?" Prudent asks studiously, spine straight, hands clasped on the tabletop.

I stretch my fingers out, wiggling them before spreading them out on the keys, open my computer drive, and try to decide which of the eighty Chapter 1's I want to work on. 

I'm the Pen Thief, and I always have trouble deciding, but I’ve got five other knights to inspire me.

December 23, 2023 02:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

26 comments

Michał Przywara
15:40 Dec 26, 2023

Very nice, and very relatable. Especially on this site :) I've certainly debated (and argued) with myself, whether that's which chapter one to start, or, just to be funny, derailing a novel that's half written with a whole new idea :P I like the metaphor of knights here. There's room for argument but camaraderie too, and it gives the impression of going on a quest - which a writing project can certainly feel like. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Hazel Ide
22:17 Dec 26, 2023

Thank you! I like the idea that writing can feel like going on a quest, good point! By way of derailing your own work because a new voice pops in and decides to be loud and pull you in a new direction halfway through- so relatable

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:31 Dec 23, 2023

Only 80 chapter ones?? Lightweight! 🤣 Seriously though, yes! Totally here you. And relate. Though the Weirdo in my group tends to take over most of the writing duties, every so often the Fantasist manages to come through. By way of constructive criticism this line took me out of the story by having to adverbs close together at the end: and at my laptop, the screensaver decoratively bouncing around soundlessly.  I personally don't think you need the decoratively. The sentence reads better without it I think. Great stuff Hazel!

Reply

Hazel Ide
19:08 Dec 23, 2023

Excellent feedback, rereading the sentence out of context in your comment, it was super choppy! Thank you so much for noticing and pointing it out!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
05:37 Dec 23, 2023

I love the way you personified the different genres and how they influence our writing process! I often feel it's a bit chatty up there when I'm brainstorming ideas 🤯 they do seem to call each other out a lot don't they? I think my favorite parts were the Sci Fi obsessing over plot holes and the Romantic's tendency to write erotica. Very creative idea and well executed! Thanks for sharing, Hazel!

Reply

Hazel Ide
18:10 Dec 23, 2023

Thank you AnneMarie! It’s funny how many interests we can have. Ive always admired authors who settle so well into a genre, I definitely have a tendency to bounce around, like you said, it’s chatty up there!

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
15:26 Dec 24, 2023

Right! I definitely have my preferences and my strengths, I don't think I could write a great fantasy to save my life 😂 but I love to experiment with genre. It's great for skill building and for keeping the writing mind engaged!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
16:59 Dec 26, 2023

I envy those writers who can pursue a single genre seamlessly - I tend to lean towards sci-fi, but mostly it's just dibble-dabbling, pretty much anything as long as it's practically implausible 😄 And I envy this writer - at least for he/him, Logic speaks or even takes charge occasionally 🤣 Really enjoyable! The sort of thing I would gladly re-read. (I'm calling a shortlist for this one) Shouldn't Sci-Fi be obsessing more over black holes than plot holes? 😁 Although really, Sci-Fi has a point. Plot holes are so much more dangerous for fanta...

Reply

Hazel Ide
22:22 Dec 26, 2023

I envy those writers too! Totally not relatable though! I can’t settle into one genre to save my life. Too many voices. Also- 😂 black holes, that’s funny, but yeah, maybe more a detriment to have a plot hole!! Haha

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
04:17 Jan 04, 2024

Suspected you were collabing with self. Great job.

Reply

Hazel Ide
15:01 Jan 04, 2024

Thank you Mary!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
E. B. Bullet
16:51 Jan 03, 2024

I'm awful at brainstorming, so I find this kind of lively back and forth between ideas really interesting haha. Usually I just stare at a blank document, or sheet of paper if I'm feeling old fashioned, and decay at a slow, painful rate.... I find that stories come to me when I think about them while doing something else LMAO. Not the best process, I'm sure I love your characterization here! It's super challenging to introduce "characters" one right after the other and have them be distinct without trampling over each other. Your language is...

Reply

Hazel Ide
18:53 Jan 03, 2024

I'm not great at brainstorming either; I wish I had a writer's group inside my head to volley ideas too; they always come to me when I'm in the middle of something else! haha Thanks a lot EB!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Korinne H.
15:47 Jan 03, 2024

Very creative! I also adore this: "When the sun goes down, those who walk beneath the stars, who only come out at night, feather the lines between chaos and control, and though I don't prescribe to the anarchy, it's a beautiful thing to watch."

Reply

Hazel Ide
18:51 Jan 03, 2024

Thank you so much Korinne!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Viber Nilto
03:51 Jan 02, 2024

Get Passports, Visas, Driver's License, ID CARDS, Marriage certificates, Diplomas, Birth Certificates, Credit cards, Utility bills, Social Security cards, Resident permits, Death certificates, Banknotes dollar / euro Pounds We are a team of professionals with many years of experience in producing fake passports and other identity documents, best quality producers of fake documents. With more than 10 million documents circulating in the world. Email ( lifiben@gmail.com ) TEXT/CALL/WHATSAPP: 951-254-2452 https://clean-documents.com

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alan Harrell
12:50 Jan 01, 2024

Loved it, Hazel. Very creative.

Reply

Hazel Ide
16:54 Jan 01, 2024

Thank you Alan!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laura Jarosz
21:19 Dec 31, 2023

Happy New Year, Hazel! Love, love, love this whole concept. I had an inkling early on that this would have a meta aspect (really, it was just the excellently-chosen pseudonyms for each knight that made me suspicious), but the way you revealed it packed a punch--returning to an empty, silent table and then the flurry of activity when the writer re-engages the laptop. It was such a perfect, cinematic moment!

Reply

Hazel Ide
02:29 Jan 01, 2024

Oh thank you Laura! I’m not great with twists and reveals so glad to hear there was some level of mystery! I do really like meta stories though. Thank you and happy new year!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
18:01 Dec 30, 2023

This is a catchy concept; I really like it! I spent most of the story green with envy that I didn't have this writing group. I was chuckling away with Enthusiast being one inch into writing a metre size tome on King Ludwig of Bavaria and having given up on it for Romantics idea... just to shelve this too! I'm sure many aspiring authors relate to all these knights egging us on, leading us off on our own vainglorious quests. I feel like George Chapman often; pleads with Cheese to join the quest just to be told there's no need: they already hav...

Reply

Hazel Ide
21:06 Dec 30, 2023

It’s amazing how much of an adventure we can have just by following our own quests! Sometimes I think the metre sized tome would be worth it regardless of how ridiculous the effort in building it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
David McCahan
05:58 Dec 29, 2023

Wonderfully identifiable. All the other voices in my head concur.

Reply

Hazel Ide
12:51 Dec 29, 2023

Haha glad to hear you all agree

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sara Thomas
05:46 Dec 29, 2023

It’s a lovely idea, I think all writers would love a group of writer friends like this! But also so relatable to just be chillin with your own cool self 😎 ✨

Reply

Hazel Ide
12:50 Dec 29, 2023

Thank you Sara!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.