1 comment

Adventure Fantasy

Blimey, 'ere we go again. Another day, another dragon to slay. Well not on my watch! Name's Maggie—Sir Maggie to you lot—and I ain't your typical knight in shining armor. More like a knight in slightly dingy iron armor with questionable stains of mysterious origin. But I get the job done, even if me methods are a bit unorthodox.

You see, I never much cared for all this hacking and slashing business. Seems a might unfair to the dragons, don't ya think? Sure, some of the blighters get a bit cheeky, hoarding treasures and terrorizing villagers and such. But they're just misunderstood creatures trying to make their way in this world, same as meself!

So when the call came from the village of Little Hampsted that a fearsome dragon had taken up residence in the hills nearby, I knew this assignment would require a delicate touch. I saddled up me trusty steed Betsy (lovely girl, bit flatulent though) and made haste to the scene of the alleged crimes.

After a pleasant ride through the countryside (lovely this time of year), I arrived to find Little Hampsted in a right state. My reputation had preceded me, and the villagers swarmed expectantly.

"Greetings fine people!" I announced in me most gallant voice. "Now then, why don't you tell me about this dragon what's been bothering you?"

The tale they spun was the usual stuff: missing livestock, singed eyebrows, small children carried off in the night—you know, standard dragon behavior. But I could tell this was no mindless beast. No, this dragon was just lonely and misunderstood.

So that night, I packed a satchel with offerings of friendship: a nice ox haunch, some golden trinkets, and a bottle of 12-year-old mead. I set off for the hills whistling a jaunty tune, determined to make peace with this imposing yet innocent creature.

As I climbed higher, the air grew thick with brimstone. I knew the dragon's lair must be near. Turning a corner, I spotted the mouth of a great cave. Wisps of smoke curled from within, and the rocky ground was littered with charred bones. Charming decor.

"Hello!" I called out amiably. "Sir Maggie here, at your service!"

A rumbling growl echoed from the shadows, and out slunk the dragon. Oh, she was a beaut! Violet scales glimmering in the moonlight, horns like polished ebony, eyes burning like fiery coals. I tell you, this magnificent creature took my breath away.

Slowly, I offered up my gifts: "I've brought you some refreshments, straight from the village of Little Hampsted! They send their regards."

The dragon eyed me suspiciously, smoke billowing from her nostrils. It was clear no one had shown her kindness before. My heart went out to the poor thing.

"There's no need for conflict between us," I said gently. "Why don't we sit together, share some mead, and get to know one another?"

After a tense moment, the tension left her body. The poor lonely dear just needed a friend! We settled in and I regaled her with tales of past adventures while she told me of her life here in the hills. Turns out she took the livestock because she was hungry, not malicious. And the eyebrows were just unfortunate collateral damage from her morning yawns!

As the night wore on, I proposed an agreement: if the dragon controlled her fire-breathing urges, I'd personally deliver her a weekly supply of food straight from the royal larders. She wouldn't go hungry, the villagers would be safe, and I could stop by for tea and chats. It was a perfect solution!

By dawn, the dragon and I had forged an unbreakable bond. As we bid each other farewell, tears glistened in her noble eyes. "Thank you for your kindness, Sir Maggie," she rumbled in a voice thick with emotion. "You are the first human to see me as more than a monster. I shall never forget you."

Well, I won't lie to you—I got a bit choked up as well. "Think nothing of it, love," I said with a pat on her scaly leg. "Just doing me job. You just mind your manners around Little Hampsted and I'll be back in two shakes with more treats."

And with that, I sauntered down the hill whistling, feeling right pleased with meself. The villagers of Little Hampsted were flabbergasted when I told them there'd be no more dragon trouble. Once they got over their shock, they were right grateful. I basked in their praise for about two seconds before setting off in search of my next adventure.

Because that's the life of a misunderstood knight, innit? Always on the move, solving problems me own way, making the world a little brighter one dragon at a time. People say I'm odd, but I say there's more than one way to slay a dragon. Sometimes all it takes is a little kindness and an open heart. Remember that the next time you find yourself facing a difficult situation. Kill your enemies with compassion! And if that don't work, kill them with your sword. Either way, mind the stains—blood is a bugger to get out of iron armor.

As I sauntered back into Little Hampsted, I was surprised to find the villagers had organized a parade in my honor! They hollered and cheered as I rode up on Betsy, tossing confetti and dragon-shaped pastries.

"Three cheers for Sir Maggie!" shouted Friar Tuck from the local abbey. "Vanquisher of the fearsome dragon!"

"Now wait just a minute, friends," I protested. "I didn't vanquish anyone. The dragon and I have come to an understanding, that's all."

But the revelers were too caught up in the excitement to hear me. As the parade made its way through the village square, the smells of a great feast filled the air. An entire ox roasted over a spit, barrels of mead were rolled out, and musicians played a lively tune. It seemed the good people wanted to show their gratitude, even if I didn't slay the beast as expected.

"Please, please," I implored, "there's no need for all this fuss! Just a nice cup of tea will do."

But villagers will have their celebrations, won't they? I sighed and resigned myself to an evening of well-meaning but unnecessary pomp and circumstance. Sometimes misunderstandings happen, but the heart is what matters most.

As we sat down to feast that night, I raised my cup high. "To new friends, wherever they may dwell!" I cheered. The villagers looked confused but cheered along anyway. They'd learn in time. For now, we'd share a meal in the spirit of community. And I'd be sure to save some tasty morsels for my new scaly mate. Can't forget about her now! Ta-ta for now! Sir Maggie, over and out.

September 25, 2023 02:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Ken Cartisano
05:41 Oct 13, 2023

Hah, Funny stuff. A beguiling knight. In the next to last paragraph you let slip a 'myself' instead of 'meself.' Lots of really funny lines. 'questionable stains of mysterious origins' '... a bottle of 12 year-old mead.' '...small children carried off in the night--you know, standard dragon behavior.' Very funny writing, Glen.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.