0 comments

Thriller Suspense Romance

I fell in love with the building the minute I saw it. Being a history student, all things old and rustic seemed charming to me.


The hall had a huge crystal chandelier hanging which awed me and took me to another era. My room had beautiful, ancient doorknobs and lamps and a rickety bed. It was overpriced but I said yes. I loved the place and it made me imagine the stories that could have been behind each painting, each hand-crafted windowpane, and the beautiful, vintage kettles. I was lost in stories. Stories from my college curriculum and stories in my mind about my new place. There was a park right opposite the building and when I wanted to come back into the real world or do some real research, I would come down to the park and take a stroll to refresh or read my notes. I didn’t like going out too much like the rest of my friends. Books, history books specifically, were my best friend.


The plumbing in the building was old, I must say. Probably the only thing which made me fuss and have second thoughts of moving into this place.



9.00 am, Tuesday.

I was later, super late for my class. The water had stopped running and I had no option but to rush out with half washed hair. I put on my skirt, picked up my half cold coffee and bag of books and rushed out.


The door flung open, and I skid past the tempting, musky smell of the hand some man who stood there gaping at me rushing out and made way for me lest I bump into him.


Sorry, I have to get back in!” and I ran back inside and up to my room, fumbling with my keys, past the stranger again. I had forgotten my very important assignment that I had completed to be submitted that day. I was late and I could do nothing about it. The rather in-shock looking man gave way to me again as I climbed down the stairs and raced out. I looked back and mouthed a ‘Thank You’ to him and hastened myself out again.



6.00 pm, Tuesday.

I decided to take a stroll in the park. It had been a long day and I needed to catch a breath. Summer was almost over, and it would get cold and gloomy soon. The last few happy tanned faces in the park were a delight to watch. It was a very small park and I took one round and decided to sit down on the bench and take in the scenes in front of me.


“May I take a seat here if you aren’t in any rush and looking for solitude right now?”


I looked up and saw the man from my crazy morning and blushed. He looked rather…noble.


“Yes please. Thank you for keeping the door open both times today. I was rather late and not in the best of my morning mood.”


“No problem, happy to give way to pretty woman like you pursuing your classes with so much enthusiasm. What classes are you taking if I may ask?”


“History.”


The man smiled and looked away. He was all suited up, in a park…strange.


“I am Vanessa by the way. Are you going somewhere or coming straight from work maybe?”


“Something like that, yes. I am Charles. What made you move into this building Vanessa? It is quite old and rickety, are you not scared of ghosts?”


Funny, I laughed.


“No, I am not a child anymore to be scared of ghosts. I love all historical, rustic things and this building has a different charm. I fell in love with it the minute I saw it. Didn’t you? I assume you have your reasons too for living here or around here maybe? How long have you been here anyway?”


Charles’s eyes were blue. He seemed to be very polite and mindfully choosing his words every time he spoke.


“I have been here for long. Do you know the history of this building then?”


“There IS some history, I knew it! Tell me, I would love to know”


Charles checked his rather vintage pocket watch and then spoke.


“This building belonged to a Baron in the 1800s. He was a much-loved person because of his kind nature and his intelligence. He was an avid reader and lover of history, just like you. This was a building which he had made for the love of his life. He was soon to be married to a beautiful, rather opinionated, and strong female. Back in those time, not many women spoke up like the way Clarissa did. She had many lovers and many enemies, same as the Baron. When the two met, there were instant butterflies in their stomach, and they fell in love. They complimented each other perfectly and decided to move here after their wedding to start their life together.


One day they were visiting this building, checking the last of the fitments and designs when there was a fire. Someone had followed them and had started a fire, their intentions which were never known. Jealousy maybe, by either one of their enemies or past lovers. The Baron rushed to save Clarissa and just as he pushed her out through the door, his foot got stuck as the door fell apart and he was trapped inside. Clarissa survived the fire, but the Baron did not. She sold off the place after that which was later turned into a luxury apartment for today’s younger generations. They have kept some memories of the fire incident though, there are some places which have not been re-painted, and some art and décor repaired and put up wherever they were found. Their love was history, but the place still holds a bit of that history.”


I gaped in wonderment. What a poignant, yet beautiful story. Fire – the one thing I feared. I could not imagine what they must have gone through. I could not imagine their burning love being burnt down. How tragic, scary.


Charles got up to leave.


“Wait, that was such a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing, do you need to leave already? Maybe we could take a walk tomorrow at the park again?” I asked eagerly. I wanted to know more. About the place, about the Baron and about Charles. He intrigued me with his accent and the sad, but honest, quivering in his voice and eyes. He was so beautiful.


Charles smiled. “Yes, we will cross each other’s path all the time I assume, since we stay in the same building.”



From that day onward, Charles and I met every day. Our timings somehow always matched. He showed me around the place, and we spoke about history and literature and arts. I could not believe my stars – how was a handsome, well read, man like him so well mannered and interested in spending time with me? Most boys in the college were all about sports or drinking or just fooling around.


I grew fond of Charles. So much so that I wished I could hold him and sit all day long with him. I knew he was fond of me too, although he never made any move to come close to me physically. It was an inexplicable kind of bond we shared, emotionally and intelligently, which I was hoping would turn into something much, much more. 


Winter had started. The plumbing in the building was still not fixed. I shivered every morning and drank more coffees by the hour. I dreamt of Charles and sometimes woke up with a feeling of him looking at me.


A whole month and a half had gone by and with my studies and his work, we had not even invited each other to our homes. It was time to take it to the next level, I thought to myself as I woke up, once again, 3 am in the morning, with thoughts of him haunting my head. I drank some water and was just about to put myself back to sleep when I smelled something. Something burning. I checked all my rooms, and everything looked alright. I tucked myself into bed wondering if I was still dreaming when I heard the fire sirens.


I was not dreaming. The building was on fire. I froze. I was scared, too scared to step out. The smell got intense. Smoke was starting to fill my room. I thought I would faint. Should I jump out the window? Should I wait for the firemen? I choked.


My door bang opened. Charles rushed in and I saw that he was saying something to me, shouting rather. I could not hear properly; I was too overwhelmed. He grabbed my face; I didn’t feel anything. It was cold, hollow. Maybe I was dying.


I looked at him in his eyes, his reassuring eyes and followed him. He led me out through a back way, a way I had not seen, which the fire had not caught up with yet. We rushed past the falling panes and the burning art and stepped out into the alley behind, panting.

I could not believe it. Charles saved me. How did he know which was my apartment? I didn’t care. He saved me. He led me out of danger. I was so relieved he was there, with me.


“It was an electrical circuit. They should have fixed the plumbing and the wires already.”


I didn’t care. My head was spinning, and I just wanted to hug him. I leaned onto him and fell. I fell right on the ground, right through him. What was happening?


I looked up at Charles, he was standing away from me. He seemed to be…thinning.


“Vanessa, thank you. For letting me realize I can let go. For sharing your love and care with me. I stayed here for years, waiting. For what, I don’t know. And then I met you. Last time at the outbreak of a fire, I stuck around. This time, you have set me free. I hope you will always remember me.”


“What are you saying? What is happening…Charles?”


“Baron Charles. I am the Baron. And I will always remember this place, Clarissa, and you. Goodbye Vanessa.”


I shut my eyes. I was dreaming, right? I could not make sense of anything. I needed to lie down. I looked at Charles and he was gone. He disappeared, right into thin air.


I saw the firemen rushing out towards me, my vision was dimming, my beliefs dying. Charles…was he not real? Was he a…ghost? Charles? Baron? I could feel my mind numbing as history turned into love and love turned into history. Everything faded and I fell down unconscious to be saved, just not by Charles this time.





October 22, 2020 07:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.