2 comments

Adventure

Christine twiddled her thumbs as she stared at her computer screen. The page she was trying to access was still loading. She had been attempting to buy some material for her job for the last 30 minutes, but the internet wasn't running as quickly as it usually was. The dentist she worked for approached her.

“Have you been able to order the material I requested?”

Her hands flew into the air in frustration. “I've been trying!” she said louder than she had intended. “The internet isn't working and the typical sites I go to don't seem to be online. I'm sorry, but I have to do this tomorrow!”

“Whoa!” Dr. Hansen said defensively. “I was just curious. When was the last time you had some time off?” he asked.

“I don't know,” she replied shortly.

“Well, I'm ordering that you take some time off. I'll have Hector deal with this tomorrow. You go home, get some rest, and do something fun.”

“I don't have time for a vacation...” Christine started to say.

“Go!” Dr. Hansen interrupted.

Christine exhaled sharply. “Okay,” she finally surrendered. “I'll see you next week.” Dr. Hansen wasn't wrong. It had been years since she had taken time off work. She needed a break. She needed to do something fun.

As she walked to her car, something in the parking lot caught her eye. She squinted her eyes, trying to make sense of a shiny object. She walked towards it, and saw that it was a rock; it sparkled blue in the sunlight. She had never seen anything quite like it before. Fascinated by it, she took it home and put it on her dresser as a decoration. She stared at it for a moment, mesmerized. Shrugging, she went into her living room where her boyfriend was sitting his lazy boy rocking chair.

“Any luck finding a job today?” she asked crossly.

“Huh?” he asked as he pried his eyes from the TV. “Uh... no, not today.” he shoved some pop corn into his mouth.

“You know we're behind on rent,” she said angrily. “The least you could do is at least try to find a job.”

“Yeah, I will,” he responded without looking at her.

“That's it,” she said, exasperated. “I'm going to take a nap, and when I wake up, you had better be on that computer looking for a job!”

“Okay, okay!” he said. “You don't have to get so angry.”

Gritting her teeth, she slammed her bedroom door behind her. Her boyfriend was just a moocher. She honestly didn't know why she stayed with him. Burying her feelings, she climbed into her bed and closed her eyes. All she needed was some quiet alone time. As she attempted to fall asleep, she was interrupted by what seemed like a flash light blaring into her face.

“Tony, I swear if that's you, I'm going to kill you!” she said angrily as she sat up. To her surprise, she was alone; just her and her glowing rock. She stared in shock and wonder. What was this rock? She wondered. Was it magic?

She got out of bed and walked towards it slowly. She reached a hand out, seemingly unable to control herself. She touched it, and there was a brighter light that consumed her. She shielded her face and in an instant, it was gone. She looked around, confused. She felt grass beneath her feet. Looking around some more, she noticed brightly colored plants surrounding her. She stared in awe. What was this place? Had this mysterious rock taken her to some sort of fairy-tale land? She looked towards what appeared to be a brightly lit night sky. There was blue light emanating from two moons.

“Hello?” she called out. “Where am I?” obviously, no one answered. Finding a trail to her right, she followed it. The trail consisted of dark red dirt and it was lined with bright blue plants. Ahead, she saw a town that was lit up with what appeared to be glowing plants. She gasped; it was the prettiest thing she had ever seen in her entire life. She entered the town and found a strange looking animal taking a nap in some sort of nest.

“Hi there little guy,” she said as she petted its head.

“Hey!” the animal said, causing Christine to jump with surprise. “What do you think you're doing? How would you like it if someone came up to you and started to pet your head?!”

“I...I'm sorry...I had no idea,” she stuttered.

“Aw, new around her, 'aye?” the creature asked her. “Well, you wouldn't be the first.”

“How did I get here?” she asked. “Last thing I remember is being in my bedroom with a...”

“...glowing rock?” the creature finished.

“Yes.” She eyed the creature, unsure of how he knew that.

“That rock senses when someone needs an adventure, or maybe a fresh start. It brings you here, and you have to decide if you want to stay or go back home.”

“Isn't that choice obvious?” Christine asked. “Go home, of course.”

“Is there anything worth going back home to?”

Christine pondered on that question. He was right. She was behind on rent, with a mooching boyfriend who never showed any affection towards her and her parents were long since deceased. And her being an only child, had no siblings to go home to. What was there at home for her?

“Being here, you can live out the remainder of your life in peace,” the creature explained. “There are other people who live here as well, but they are few and far apart, so you don't have to associate with them if you don't want to.”

“Is this a dream come true?” she asked in astonishment.

“For some, yes. Others prefer the comfort and familiarity of home. Which one are you?”

She knew exactly which one she was; and that was exactly what her choice was going to be. If it was you, what would you choose?

September 18, 2020 21:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Aubry Washburn
20:21 Sep 22, 2020

Thank you! Oh man, right now I would choose the fresh start as well. I enjoyed writing this short story. It gave me a chance to kind of disconnect with the world today, if you know what I mean.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rebecca Pebble
19:56 Sep 22, 2020

What a fantastic story! I love the dialogue between your characters and the richness with which you paint your scenes! Well done, Aubry! :) Oh, and I would chose the fresh start.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.