The Stone Heart of Ruthcarton

Submitted into Contest #67 in response to: Write about a pirate captain obsessed with finding a mythical treasure.... view prompt

2 comments

Adventure

Benji stood stock still as the monstrous creature bore down on him. Its bulbous green skin glistened with acidic slime, fizzing in the sea breeze. He closed his eyes as a thick ropey tendril rose from the churning sea. The sea monster swung its boneless arm high into the air and knocked Benji to the ground. Cracks began to appear in his vision, and reality came flooding in. 

Marcus Vanderver stood over him, his two chubby goons scoffing as he dusted off his ivory knuckles. He looked down at Benji with disdain as the boy lay gasping for air on the ground, holding his stomach while his band of pirates cowered away. 

“Not much of a captain are you Benjamin,” He laughed with malice, kicking a dusty boot at the younger boy lying limp on the playground tarmac. 

"Just leave them alone, please," Benji tentatively raised his head. His eyes strained against the flow of tears threatening to burst forth. He glanced back at his friends, the band of five misfit pirates. Joe, Luca, Jayson, Cain, and Clark. Each boy had a look of terror on their faces as they clung to each other, awaiting their captain's fate. Benji couldn't help but think their drab pirate attire didn't look nearly as cool now. 

Marcus gave a sarcastic sigh of thoughtfulness and raised a finger to his chin. 

"You know what, I don't think I will leave them alone. They're a good bunch of weak eight-year-olds. And I can't pass up the opportunity to practice my boxing skills, now can I." 

"No!" Marcus just snapped his fingers, his face darkening with the threat of impending doom. The goons behind him circled around the band of pirates with their mammoth frames trapping them in. 

"Well, I suppose we could compromise. You do owe me after all. Trespassing on my territory is not something I take lightly," A sharp knee lent into Benji's stomach. He nodded frantically, not caring that he was bashing his head against the rough tarmac. The pressure lessened. 

"Okay then, Captain Benji. As penance for your crimes, you shall retrieve a fabled stone heart of Ruthcarton, our humble little lakeside town. From the depths of the great expanse of water this very night once darkness has reached its peak," A chorus of gasps permeated the air. 

"You can't make us do that," screamed Clark, the smallest of the boys. "We'll die!" 

"You better succeed then. Otherwise, I personally think the town could do without your band of miscreants," He sneered, stepping back. The boys rushed forward to Benji, cradling him in a cage of bodies. 

“See you tonight pirates,” Marcus spat at their feet. “Make sure your Captain's it up to it,"

His goons slapped their thick hands together in a slow clap. The boys were left in the dust as they raced off, the thin frame of their bikes swaying dangerously underneath their dangerous weight.

Benji rolled over onto his back, looking up at his crew. Each boy wore a concerned expression with their hands slightly raised or resting on one of his limbs in uncertainty. Jayson tugged at the stuffed parrot taped to his shoulder and pressed it against a graze on Benji's knee. 

"Please don't. You'll ruin it," Benji whispered. Jayson shrugged but kept the stuffed toy in place. 

"What are we going to do now." Clark's bottom lip trembled as he spoke. As the smallest of the group, he had always been considered the younger brother. The one who was to be protected at all costs. Something like this had shaken him. Cain placed a tentative hand on Clark's shoulder and shared a look with Luca. 

"We could always go back to playing astronauts instead, or knights.  That was fun," He whispered, already knowing Benji's answer. 

"No! I can't let Marcus hurt you guys. He'll break us. At least if we find the stone heart we have a chance." 

"But the stone hearts just a story," 

"I said we'll find it. Go home, I'll find the heart tonight and you'll be safe,"

"Like hell, you think we'll let you do this alone," exclaimed Joe.

 Benji gave a sad smile, he propped himself up on sinewy elbows. The boys lifted him to his feet and over towards their bikes. Benji kicked at his training wheels in frustration as he sat down. He, the great captain, had let his crew down. This was more than just a game to him. He would find that stone heart if it was the last thing he did. Luca chucked him his damp pirate hat soaked through with mud. He proudly yanked it over his ears and raised the flag mounted to the back of his bike. 

"Let's set sail boys!" several boyish aye's responded, and the crew began to peddle away. They rode huddled close together behind Benji. Hollering songs of sea life as they raced under the skull and crossbones fluttering in the stale air. 

--------

Sneaking out of the house had been the easy part for Benji. His Mum and Dad hadn't questioned it when he had said he was tired. And simply let him trudge upstairs to bed. He had slept a few hours, then as midnight neared, woke at the familiar soft ring of his alarm. With flailing arms, he managed to quiet the simple black box and reach underneath his bed for supplies. A torch, batteries, matches, rope, and arm floaties just in case. What else could he need? Throwing on a lightweight hoodie as he went, Benji snuck carefully down the stairs and out the back door to the house. The sudden chill of the night startled him as he jumped the fence. It seemed to scream at him to go back. With a shake of the head he hopped onto his bicycle and rode away. 

The others were already there when he arrived at the lakeside boat shack. The group was in their usual pirate play attire accompanied by bulky jackets. Behind them a small yellow dingy lay in the shallows. Jayson held a paddle for each of them in his arms.

"You know we don't have to do this," he whispered. 

"You can leave if you want. I'm going to find the heart."

"You're crazy,"

"That's why I'm the Captain I guess," 

Clark shook his head and began to climb into the dingy. The neon yellow cut through the inky blackness as they pushed it out into the water. Benji waited until everyone was secure before launching himself in. Joe caught him and shuffled over, handing him a paddle. 

"To the middle of the lake boys. That's where it'll be," 

Hours later everyone's arms ached with the strain of slicing the heavy wooden paddles through the water. All around the dingy black velvet gently rose and fell in soft waves. Without a word, Benji shoved his hand into his bag and grasped the long lengths of rope. 

"I've got two ropes here. We can take turns tying them around our ankle to secure us to the boat when we dive in."

"Wait we're diving in," Squeaked Clark. Benji gave a grim nod, tying the rope securely around his own small ankle. 

"As I said," muttered Joe, "crazy," Benji ignored him and threw the other rope among the boys. Cain snatched it up first and in record time knotted it around his ankle and the boat. Benji gave him a hand as they struggled to stand on the side of the squishy boat. 

"Ready?" Cain grasped Benji's hand and nodded. 

Without warning the water surrounding them began to swirl and churn. Ripples from far away traveled to meet their dingy. Jayson gave an involuntary squeak. In the distance, the resonant rumble of jet skis traversed the distance of the lake in seconds. Marcus and his goons raced up to meet them, spraying them with a shower of murky water as they halted millimeters from the dingy. 

"Look who finally decided to show up, I was worrying my dad had hired these sweet rides for no reason." He patted the sleek plastic of his jet ski smugly. His slight but powerful frame was encased in a tight wetsuit, and scuba goggles hung around his neck. 

"Here's how it works, the first one to find the heart wins." Marcus scrambled to his feet and dived perfectly into the water. His goons hollered cries of encouragement as he plunged downward.  

Cain tugged at Benji's sleeve, he nodded. Arms raised then one step and... Darkness enveloped him. Aimlessly Benji kicked until he was certain he was going downwards. Everything was coated in a grimy gray sludge down here. Finding the red glint of the heart of stone would be nearly impossible. Over and over, he dived down then came up for air. The boys on the raft gripped the sides, peering over into the water. Cain was having no luck either, and fatigue was beginning to creep into his movements. With a final gulp, Benji plunged himself into the devoid of color. Then he spotted it. A slither of red so small it could have gone unnoticed for centuries. With powerful strokes, Benji reached out for the stone. 

The stone was no bigger than the palm of his hand but felt like it weighed a ton. Its teardrop shape glowed with the brilliant red light of a thousand suns as Benji lifted it towards the sky. Marcus's goons gasped as he broke through the water. The pirates gave a mighty cheer reaching out for their Captain and hauling him into the dingy. Arms reached out to him, ruffling his dripping locks and embracing him in proud holds.  Benji studied the stone heart as Cain hauled himself out of the water. The slick rock was dimmer now, it had a scaly texture covered in a clear film of slime. It permeated a comforting warmth as he held it close to his chest. Smiling like a madman Cain stood shakily up, staring at the two goons with giddy smugness. 

"We got the stone, you can let us leave now. " The goons gave no answer. Their mouths were gaping holes resting atop the rolls of fat under their chins. But their unwavering gaze wasn't resting on the stone. further out by Marcus's drifting jet ski a plethora of bubbles broke to the surface in panicked waves. Benji immediately raced to the side of the dingy, squinting to see under the jet ski. Sure enough, the faint outline of a lanky figure was curled up against the underside of the jet ski. It thrashed around like a wild animal refusing to accept its fate. Benji's eyes widened. 

"You guys have to help him! Marcus is stuck under his ski!" The goons just nodded slowly and pathetically started to remove themselves from the seats of their skis. Benji scoffed in disbelief. This was their friend, their leader, and these two goons weren't even going to properly help him. He thought for a moment as his thoughts clashed then made up his mind. 

"Hold this," shoving the stone into Cain's outstretched arms, Benji launched himself into the water. Marcus's flailing body came into view as he pushed himself through the water. A soft hand reached out to him, Benji grasped them and pulled the boy close. Marcus felt so small in his embrace. The boy feebly tried to help to kick from under the ski. But his movements were practically nothing compared to the immense power of the water. The water seemed to thicken as the surface neared, Marcus clung to Benji the whole time, only adding to the strain. When they finally broke the water Marcus turned to face him, his face a red as the stone heart and gasping for air. 

"You... You saved me," Benji shrugged and gently pushed Marcus over to his own jet ski. Then swam over to the dingy. Luca and Joe pulled him over the side as Benji muttered. 

"It was nothing, if you had died it would have been my fault." Marcus could only nod in a fazed manner. 

"Thank you," then after a thought, "Captain," Benji smiled as his boys whooped and hollered in victory. They cheered as Marcus bashfully led his goons away. 

"You did it Captain," exclaimed Clark. Benji grinned and accepted the stone heart from his hands. He raised it towards the sky with renewed vigor. 

"No, we did it. Let's head home. I think we've had enough for one day," With a final cheer the boys raised their paddles and began to make the long journey home. Not a single boy would recount the story to their parents when they arrived home soaking, but each would remember it. Each would remember the day that their Captain had not only defeated but saved the great monster of the playground. The snake had been defeated, and life could continue in peace.

November 12, 2020 17:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

S. D. Lauzon
17:43 Nov 20, 2020

OH! I loved it! All of it! I love how you made the Captain a kid. It's original. Plus the characters are likeable, well the crew, not Marcus! ;) I have nothing bad to say about this!

Reply

Dan Willmot
22:20 Nov 20, 2020

Thanks! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.