My story is entitled :What actually happens in a Post Office.?

Written in response to: Set your story in a post office.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Creative Nonfiction Western

My story is entitled: What actually happens in a Post Office.?

The Post Office is often the place where people go to buy stamps, send parcels and then receive pensions.

In a Post Office we send letters and parcels.

Also, the cost involved of sending a letter or parcel by post is called postage.

The Postman is usually a man who delivers letters and other parcels in a Post Office.

Likewise, a Postman is also a woman who also delivers letters and other parcels in the office.

Most young children often visit the Post office on the pretext of buying Penpal booklets.

The Post office is a customer service facility forming part of a national Post system.

Most Post offices offer mail related services such as the acceptance of letters and parcels , provision of Post office boxes and the sale of postage stamps, packaging and other stationery.

In the Post office they offer additional services such as providing and accepting government forms such as Passport Applications, processing government services and fees such as road tax and other banking services such as savings Accounts and money orders.

It can be noted that the Chief Administrator of the Post office is the Postmaster.

Also, most Post offices may offer additional services which vary from country to country.

The advent of Postal codes and the Post office,, postal items would route items to a specific Post office for receipt or delivery.

The term Post office refers to government postal facilities providing customer service. Also, the General Post office is sometimes used for the national headquarters of a postal service.

Again, a postal facility that is used in the Post office for processing mail is known as the sorting office or Delivery office. The Postal facility has a central area known as the sorting or Postal Hall.

The integrated facilities combining mail processing with railway stations or Airports are known as mail exchanges.

Some Post offices in the other parts of the country accepts and delivers inland letters, postcards, parcels, postal stamps and many orders.

Again, these Post offices often times sell insurance policies and accept the payment of electricity bills and landline telephone bills.

Some Postmen in the Post office often delivers letters , money orders and other parcels to places that are within the assigned area of a particular Post office.

Also, some Post offices are assigned a unique six digit code called the Postal Index Number or PIN. The Post office is identified by its PIN.

In addition most Private courier and delivery services often have offices as well.

Also other mail boxes and post office boxes have long been use for drop off and pick up of mail and small packages outside post offices.

The mail or Post is a system for physically transporting postcards, letters and other services.

The Postal service can be both Private or Public through many governments place restrictions on private systems.

The National Postal system have been generally been established as a government monopoly.

The proof of payment in the post office is usually in the form of an Adhesive postage stamp but a postage meter is also used for bulk mailing.

Other Postal Authorities often have functions aside from transporting letters within the country and other parts of the world.

Within some countries a postal telegraph and telephone (PTT) service oversees the Postal system.

It should be noted that one or an individual has to have a Post office box before they can receive letters both locally Some Postal offices engage in International mail exchanges. The Mail refers to a traveling bag or pack. Again the Mail also refers to a bag that contains letters : “ a bag full of letters.”

within the country and Internationally outside the country.

Most British Post offices refers to mails as letters being sent abroad.

The Couriers at most Post offices were used to deliver personal letters.

Some countries like Japan has the worlds largest and most successful postal savings systems and a Postal life insurance system. The Postmasters are always in high prestige in Japan.

The Post office in Japan through the postal system generated the enormous funding necessary to rapidly Industrialize Japan.

In the United Kingdom, the Post Office used the postal system in the development of modern transportation.

Most Railways carried railway post offices. The air mail became the transport of choice for intercontinental mail.

Other Post men started to use mail trucks. The handling of mail in the Post office became increasingly automated.

The internet has however come to change the conditions of physical mail at the Post office. Other paper letters and parcels can be sent to almost any country in the world.

Some Post offices defined standards for postage stamps and operates the system.

In the United States of America a system of codes has been created in order to actually facilitate the Automation of operations.

The Bar coding of mail in the Post office is for delivery , it is actually expressed either by a series of vertical bars usually called POSTNET coding or a two dimensional barcode..

The black of dots method allows for the encoding of proof of payment of Postage, exact routing for delivery and other features.

The ordinary mail service was improved with the use of Planes for a quicker delivery.

A Postage and receipt service was introduced in the Post office to ensure the safe delivery of letters.

The Post office offers a range of postal services to send , collect and then return items including regular sender services.

In Ghana , most Post offices provides courier financial services , remittances , post assurance ,and Agency services.

However you can track your Post office parcel by entering a tracking number, Air Way Bill (AWB) number to track or trace a single International or domestic package.

The Post office is also a vital life line through which vulnerable groups can receive government support, Pensions, tax credits and other benefits.

Some services rendered by the Post offices include Posting: We offer a range of Postal services to send , collect and return items. Banking and Payment of Bills : Other Post offices provide a range of essential financial services from borrowing to money transfers like Western Union and savings, Travel and Insurance.

However in Ghana the Deputy Director of the Ghana Post happens to be Mr. Kwaku Tabi Amponsah. In Ghana the Post Office do not work on Saturdays. There is the tenacity that it is only on Saturdays and Sundays that workers of the Post Office get the time to rest after their daily work routines scheduled for them.

A Post office simple is an office in the Post office where mail is received and sorted then it is dispatched and distributed to other Post office boxes and also the place where stamps are sold and other services are rendered.

The three types of Post offices are mainly Head Post office, Sub Post office and Branch Post office. Most Post offices deal with the delivery and collection of items.

Finally, I will conclude by adding that most Post offices deal with stamping and preparing parcels for shipping and offers other services like banking and money withdrawals, including Insurance and money transfers.  

August 22, 2023 23:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.