0 comments

Mystery



It is the holiday season, teenagers, and young adults like this time of the year. Many promises pile up to be met within this season. “I will take you to the movies” topping the chart of these promises. So today, a movie is being premiered on the “Annabelle: Creation.” Though an American movie, It is a must-see here in Nigeria. The movie is on the lips of almost all youths. 


Ebube bought two tickets for himself and Ugonna his young lover. They are both interns at Google Nigeria. Slated for 7 pm, they have time to mingle and talk before it starts. Their work also will not suffer because dedication and diligence were strictly measured at Google Nigeria. 


It is 5:00 pm already, Ebube and Ugonna are both signing off at the bio metric point to head towards the big Cinema Galleria in town. Then the click on the machine startles Ugonna 


We have so much time on our hands, do you mind if we stroll to the car park rather than using the company’s bus service? Ebube asks Ugonna


No, I do not mind that. Please lead the way; Ugonna replies


Members of staff continue to mill out of the exit door to the bio metric point they just left. She takes a deep breath. 


Work was quite challenging today, how about yours?


It was xoxo. Let us put all that behind and enjoy the movie we have planned out okay?

Okay


Ugonna brings out a branded handkerchief and cleans the beads of perspiration on her brow. 


You look stressed, we may change our mind and join the bus to the car park.


Don’t worry Ebube,


I heard taking a walk each day is good for one’s heart health. Let us take it easy with our pace. We will get there in no time.


A few minutes later, the basement attendants’ hands Ebube his car key. He opens the door to the car and opens the front passenger seat for Ugonna. Their drive to the cinema was uneventful despite the rough drivers on the roads; violating traffic rules and cursing compliant ones. 


Wow! What is happening here today? Ugonna asks bewildered at the crowd visible from the transparent entrance door of the movie house.


I told you the movie is being premiered today, didn’t I? 


Do you care for popcorn or small chops? Ebube asks

Popcorn will do; Ugonna says


Carbonated drink, malt, or water?


Carbonated drink is okay she says


They walk towards the ticketing point and pick flyers of the movies showing for the new movie week starting today. 


There it is! Ebube says excited

Anabelle: Creations.


 Wa-oow! It sounds like a horror movie.


Yes, it does; Ebube chips in.


Apparitions and mediums taking the form of some objects to perpetuate harm to people that can see and hear them.


It sure will be an interesting movie.


I remember a story we were told by our grand- aunt of a man who died and went elsewhere to exist. In fact. Growing up we all know the man. He was fondly called “Baba-ruwa” literally meaning father of water. Coined from the services he renders to the street where we lived in. He fetches water for people in compounds facing water challenges frequent. This was frequently experienced in the 90s.


Story has it that he left the house on a particular day to do his usual business but was run over by a reckless driver. He died on the spot. 


However, his wife Anayo said he came home at about the time of the accident and entered his room to rest. Disturbed she queries his intent as the day was still young but he did not utter any other word to her, He quietly entered his room and laid on the bed to rest. As she busied herself with her wares in her small shanty in front of the house; a group of men and women run to her beckoning on her to follow them to the site of the accident,


Which accident? She asks


Madam, your husband was involved in an auto crash and he died on the spot.


Why will you joke with such news? She asks


My husband just entered his room a few minutes ago to have some rest. He was right there in front of you telling me how tired he was before he retired into his room.


Something must be wrong then; madam please enter the room and call your husband so we can sure. We are not joking.


This is not the type of issue to joke with they all echoed.


Mrs. Anayo entered her husband’s room but sees no sign of him. She is confused because she was sure she saw him enter the room but as he did not come out of the room and there is no exit from the room to another side of the compound. She begins to get hysterical.


The group of men and women lead her to the site of the auto crash where she sees people putting her husband inside an ambulance. Anayo throws herself on the ground weeping but her earlier story was not forgotten.


It remained fresh in our memories and was tweaked when a neighbour returned from the south-south part of the country claiming she saw Baba-ruwa in the community where she was posted for her compulsory National Youth Service Corp doing the work of a miller. As if that was not enough, he had a wife and children too.


My goodness, gracious! Ebube exclaims and folds his arms akimbo.


That is not all, some of these things they act as movie happened or has streaks of truth in them. The street set off to locate the assumed “ghost” but was told by his wife in that community that for a fortnight now, he has been missing without any clues left at his last spotted location. The delegates were surprised and returned with the news.


Are you saying you believe in ghosts? Ebube asks


What do you think? Ugonna responds


It is time for the movie, Let’s go in she beckons him.


I have suddenly developed cold feet to see the movie. I might be stirring up belief in ghosts and apparitions.


Hahahahhahhhahaha! Not at all. It is a movie. A figment of someone’s imaginations.


Let’s go there; she pulls him off his seat towards the entrance.  

Dunnnnn! 


The usual background sound at the beginning of movies is heard as viewers settle into their chairs. Annabelle: Creations is shown on the big screen. It sends jitters to our spine. The background music is terrifying. Ugonna claps Ebube’s hands as the suspense increases. 


Shouts of No! Don’t go there fill the air at different scenes of the movie. 


Let’s go. I cannot take this suspense again, Ugonna says 


Remember It’s a movie, just a figment of someone’s imagination; Ebube says jokingly.


The movie ends within a short while. As Ebube and Ugonna walks towards the exit, Ugonna sees him. Moving slowly. He turns and smiles at her.


She lets out a scream Goooosh!


Ebube holds her tightly, what is it? You have scared everyone here.

I saw him there, she points at the direction.


You saw who? Ebube asks


Baba- Ruwa.


It cannot be. Let us get out of here. He leads her towards their car. 


As they drive out of the movie complex into the adjoining street, she sees him again and shouts in fear.


 Is it that tall fair man beside the electric pole? Ebube asks. 


Yes, he is the one, she replies.


Ebube turns to her and says “you thought he was dead, but there he is, right in front of you on the street, smiling at you.” He zooms off into the next street and cuts the engine calming her down. 


Ugonna reels out obscenities "Umu mmuo achuwala nu muo! meaning ghosts are chasing me. See it over there, and there and there! Chim oo! Ebube continues to console her.










July 31, 2020 16:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.