The Border

Submitted into Contest #27 in response to: Write a short story that ends with a twist.... view prompt

1 comment

Mystery

She shifted to the opening of the cave. The fragrance of fresh air was something she missed throughout the winter- wet but fresh. The frigid air through her nose alone made her want to go back to her babies, but with one last look at the mass of warm bodies, she knew what she had to do and what she had to risk. This winter was especially harsh as the little food she had, gone to her babies. When she glanced down, all she could see and feel was her ribcage. She wasn’t gauntly thin, but thin enough to slightly lack her usual abundance of power she was known for. In this situation, it was either risk her babies being found and killed by a predator or starve.


With one slow step, she was out. The snow on her limbs and feet felt somewhat sharp at first but with a bit of time, her body and eyes adjusted from the warmer and darker conditions of the cave. Her face gradually began to numb. Ice clung to branches of surrounding trees weighing them down. Everything was quiet besides the usual ambiance of the wind. It was as if the whole world was halted. The creeks and ponds were frozen seemingly mid-wave. The grass, trees, and rocks were masked by a thick blanket of snow. Being so used to staying strictly inside the cave during winters, she was in awe of the true beauty neighboring the cave.

Sinking to the terrain, she started to look for any type of food. The melodious crunches of her every step made her quiet attempt seem somewhat pointless. Approaching a small dug-opened hole, she assessed the situation. There were no footprints or any other obstruction of the freshly fallen snow. Most likely, this was a burrow of some kind. Stoats or weasels, chipmunks, or even snakes could be in there. Reaching her hand slowly in the hole she initially feels nothing. Shimmying her hand around the perimeter, she grunts and leaves empty-handed. She eyed the branchless trees deliberately turning a full 180 degrees. Before she gave up, something caught her eye.

“Caw! Caw! Caw! Caw!”

A large group of birds with a dark but somehow glossy plumage flew from a faraway tree so distant, it looked like she could simply pick them from the sky. Their raucous noises were easy to recognize. She inhaled deeply; smelling the thin air. It both helped her clear her nerves and know what to do next. She was alone. She raced in the direction of the crows. She weaved in between trees and leaped over snow-covered logs. It was hard for her to get to her usual pace in such a heavy snowfield, and it didn’t help that there were what seemed like a fragile crust with the top layer being frozen and the inside being a soft powder. Her mind had to stay on her babies. Their huddled warmth and their inquisitive eyes darting around the cave made her heart ache, but also gave her the drive to keep going. Her small, widely spaced, and forward-facing eyes stayed on the flock as she followed. Every once in a while, their wings would beat as they glided. She kept moving. Eventually, they ducked into a tree roughly 15 yards from her current position. She pushed even harder, not missing an opportunity for a clue to where the nearest source of food is.

Approaching the tree, the branches were bare but somewhat extravagant with each curling up and out. Each bird swarmed the branches. At least four perched on each either eating or silently resting. She peered out in front of her. The undulating hills lead to something she has never seen before. With a slight tilt of her head, she stalked up to what seemed like a barrier. It was transparent but also partially foggy. Frost shrouded the perimeter. She could vaguely see her reflection through it. She saw her shaggy black mane and her burly physique. She saw her rounded ears with her brown muzzle. Looking closer, she saw a small creature. It was staring back meters from her.

“Wow guys, look!” A bigger beast gasped in awe as it approached from behind the first creature, “There’s a bear out of hibernation!”

She has seen these creatures before walking about in numbers as low as two, but she’s never seen one to this scale. They were significantly more diminutive in size. Oddly, they seemed to be curious and impressed easily. The only exception to this was the creature staring up to her. Her hair grew only from her head, unlike most creatures she has encountered. It was a bright shade of blonde. It fell ragged and long around her expressionless face as one side curled behind her ear. The ends were so long that they were frayed. Multiple faint specks scattered its cheeks as well as its nose. In addition to the spots, its nose was a soft shade of pink in response to the cold. It wore a thick, cloth, garment and a bright, red, knitted hat that appeared to be faded by age. Numerous tinier beings congregated around what appeared to be their superior.

“What an odd bear… why is it only staring at you, Grace?” The large creature pondered squatting down, gazing at the small organism.

It seemed to share features with the first animal known as “Grace”. Grace just simply looked up and shrugged, looking at her once more. Grace's eyes were noticeably young but somehow lived-in as if she has seen more than she can tell. They were a pale shade of brown with copious amounts of amber highlights.

“Hey kids, we’re going to start going around to check on the baby bears while the momma bears are asleep. If you guys want, you can go around and see.” Another large creature shouted from a distance.

Her eyes worriedly flew behind her in direction to her babies.

“Ooooohhh, let’s go, guys!” The alpha grinned and scooted off the herd.

Grace didn’t even blink.

“Grace?” The leader furrowed its eyebrows.

Grace fiddled with her fingers.

“Grace, I know they remind you of your dad, but we need to move on,” It proceeded as it peered at her.

“I know, Mom.” Grace rasped with a slight shiver.

Grace burrowed her fists into her garment as her mother lead her way comfortingly.

With one last glimpse, she panicked toward the cavern. Going faster than she did previously, every bone in her body was on fire and almost every inch of her begged her to stop. Despite this, she never stopped.

Reaching the cave, she examined her cubs. They were just as dozy as when she left. Their short fuzz was slicked back as she groomed them. She heard a rattle on the cave wall. A stream of light flooded into the cave. Her cubs whimpered, trying to escape the light.

   “Oh no!” The other larger creature gawked.

It promptly attempted to bar the door. She growled. It was low and guttural. She started toward the hidden doorway. She strained at the cracks with all her might. She was bursting with rage, unable to restrain herself. After many attempts with no desirable outcome, the door tentatively opened. An unsure gaze met hers.

  "Grace! No, stop!" A familiar voice screamed.

Her breathing became decreasingly hoarse as a peculiar calmness washed over her.

  "It's ok..." Grace whispered, "...I know you're not as bad as you seem."

Grace held out a and to her. Confused, she grunted. Grace flinched but kept her composure with a soft gaze. The creature gradually crept her palm forward. It gently caressed her unkempt fur. Grace was visually uneasy, but somehow, her eyes were different than she last observed. They were still knowing, but this time they were rich with amenities, and Grace was not alone in her ease.

February 08, 2020 04:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Emma Bolado
04:45 Feb 08, 2020

I'm not quite sure why my stories have been so short lately. Usually my stories have around a 2,000-3,000 word average. Writers block isn't fun and I'm not sure how to get back to my "former glory".

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.