Ava Rediscovers Her Joy.

Submitted into Contest #191 in response to: Write about a character who is starting to open up to life again.... view prompt

2 comments

Adventure Sad Happy

Ava sat on the edge of her bed, staring at the blank white wall in front of her. It had been four months since her life had taken an unexpected turn, and she was still struggling to find her footing. It was a sudden break-up with her long-time partner, David. She had been so invested in their relationship, and when he left her, it felt like her entire world had crumbled. The days that followed had been dark and bleak, and she found it hard to get out of bed and face the world.

Ava had always been a cheerful and outgoing person. She loved meeting new people and trying out new experiences. But all of that had come to a halt since her break-up. She had shut herself out from the world and had become a recluse. She didn't go out, she didn't see friends, and she didn't even go to work. Her boss had given her a long leave of absence, and she had been holed up in her apartment ever since.

But today felt different. As she sat on her bed, Ava felt a stirring in her heart. She realized that she was tired of feeling sorry for herself and wanted to start living again. She got up from her bed and walked over to the window, drawing back the curtains to let in some light. It was a beautiful day outside, and 

the sun was shining brightly, casting a warm glow over everything. Ava took a deep breath and decided to take a chance. She was going to step outside and take a walk, even if it was just for a little while.

Putting on some comfortable clothes, Ava stepped outside, feeling the warmth of the sun on her skin. She walked down the street, feeling a sense of freedom that she hadn't felt in months. The world seemed to be moving on around her, and she realized that life was continuing, even if she wasn't a part of it.

As she walked, she began to notice the little things around her. The way the flowers were blooming, the sound of birds chirping, and the feel of the breeze on her face. She realized that she had been so consumed by her own problems that she had forgotten to appreciate the beauty of the world around her.

Ava walked for hours, exploring the city she had lived in for years but had never truly seen. She talked to strangers, tried new foods, and even went into a few shops that she had never been to before. She felt like a child again, discovering the world for the first time.

As the day wore on, Ava felt a renewed sense of energy and purpose. She realized that she didn't have to be defined by her past, and that there was so much more to life than what she had experienced in her relationship with David. She had been so focused on their relationship that she had forgotten about herself, and now she was rediscovering who she was and what made her happy.

The next day, Ava woke up with a sense of excitement. She had plans to meet up with a friend she hadn't seen in months, and she was looking forward to catching up and sharing her newfound sense of joy and purpose. They went out for lunch, and Ava found herself talking nonstop, telling her friend about her adventures from the day before and how she was feeling more alive than ever.

Her friend was happy to see Ava feeling better and encouraged her to keep exploring and trying new things. They made plans to go on a trip together, something Ava had always wanted to do but had never gotten around to. Ava realized that there was so much more to life than what she had been living, and she was excited to see where her newfound sense of adventure would take her.

Over the next few weeks, Ava continued to explore and try new things. She signed up for a painting class, joined a book club, and even went on a blind date. She was enjoying life again and felt like she was finally starting to move on from her break-up. She still thought about David from time to time, but the pain and sadness she had felt were no longer consuming her.

Ava's journey of self-discovery had taught her that life was full of surprises and that it was important to take chances and try new things. She had learned to embrace uncertainty and trust herself to navigate through the challenges that came her way. Ava was now more confident and open-minded than ever before, ready to face whatever the future held with curiosity and courage.

As Ava continued to push herself out of her comfort zone, she found that she was more resilient than she had ever imagined. She was able to overcome her fear of rejection and try new things without worrying about what others might think. She was able to let go of her old identity and embrace a new one, one that was more confident, open-minded, and adventurous.

Ava's newfound confidence and sense of purpose spilled over into other areas of her life as well. She started to take on more responsibilities at work, and her boss took notice of her renewed enthusiasm and drive. She even reconnected with old friends and made new ones, building a supportive network of people who encouraged her to keep growing and trying new things.

Looking back on her journey, Ava realized that her break-up had been a blessing in disguise. It had forced her to confront her fears and limitations, and it had given her the push she needed to step outside her comfort zone and explore new things. It had taught her that sometimes, the things we think are holding us back are actually the keys to unlocking our full potential.

As Ava continued to move forward, she knew that there would be more challenges and setbacks ahead. But she was no longer afraid of failure or rejection. She had learned that life was full of surprises, both good and bad, and that it was up to her to make the most of every opportunity. She was excited to see where her journey would take her next and was grateful for the lessons she had learned along the way.

March 29, 2023 12:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Marta Eastover
13:01 Apr 06, 2023

A nice, clean story. I like the adventure she goes on and I think we can all relate to how a nice day can really turn things around. It was easy to read and has an uplifting message. As part of the Critique Circle, here is some of my feedback that I think could improve your story. I think the biggest thing missing is more details. Swapping out things like "flowers" for "delicate daffodils that...." for example. One of the best writing tips I ever got was to *Show us* don't tell us. For example, show us how she is sad instead of saying some...

Reply

Show 0 replies
John Rutherford
13:56 Apr 04, 2023

You are a neat writer, a well written story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.