When Lady Luck Gives You the Finger

Submitted into Contest #180 in response to: Write a story that hinges on the outcome of a coin flip.... view prompt

60 comments

Fiction American Contemporary

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

CW: dismemberment.


It took me twenty four years to find my finger. That’s twenty three and three-quarter years after Debbie left me at the altar.

Okay, we never quite made it to the altar, but we did have matching rings. She was my high school sweetheart and I had big dreams for us. I had a sweet job and a football scholarship promised me a pro sports career. Everything was bright.

My major was meaningless. Coach told me I was the best wide receiver the school had ever seen and nothing else mattered. I supported myself with the coolest job ever, at the Tender Dairy ice cream factory. Perks included free ice cream, including boxes and boxes of their signature ice pops. Lime-chocolate, orange-vanilla, butterscotch-walnut, and the infamous passion fruit. Art, the owner, loved handing them out and I took them by the armful. My friends couldn’t get enough, and me and Deb were royalty at every party.

Looking back, Art paid crap, but I was fine with it. It was a temporary job till I made pro, and I just liked it. Loved working with my hands. I spent countless summers helping my old man tinker with boat engines, old bikes, and lawnmowers. My ice pop packing machine reminded me of those days.

I was the fastest packer. The machines all ran the same speed but there was always room for mistakes, for wastage, and I just didn’t waste. I liked how I could turn my mind off for a while and just do. When Art offered overtime I always took it, because I wanted the best ring for Debbie.

The thing about ice cream is, it’s cold. It was cold in the factory, it was cold in the walk-in freezers, and the product was cold. It didn’t matter how quickly I moved my fingers, they always went numb.

And the thing about an ice pop packing machine is, eventually it gets clogged up. Yeah, I didn’t waste anything, but all machines eventually do. Now, like I said, I liked maintenance. I was good at it. Fast. What would happen is the ice pops wouldn’t be perfectly centered, and over time some of the ice cream would smear against the chute and build up. Plaque inside arteries.

So, I was basically a heart surgeon. As soon as I noticed an ice pop getting stuck and others piling into it, I’d shut the belt down, open the maintenance access, scoop out the wastage – oh, so this ice cream was deformed but it was otherwise perfectly fine, so Art was okay with us just taking it for ourselves – clean up the chute, do a six-point inspection – twice – close the maintenance access, and restart the belt. A second later the machine hummed and the ice pops again popped out the other end, perfectly packed.

My record was thirty-four seconds. Well under the average of two-minutes-seventeen.

So, I made a bunch of money and bought a ring. And Debbie said yes. And this happened a day after I got accepted for my football scholarship.

Life was awesome! The girl of my dreams, the world’s best career – all of it. I couldn’t stop grinning. Everyone patted me on the back and Art even asked for an autograph from me before I got famous.

So, I was distracted.

When my machine jammed I hustled like never before. My days at the job were numbered and I wanted to leave a legacy. Dreams of picket fences and Super Bowls filled my mind. I was on track for hitting an unheard of sub-thirty-second unjamming.

I blew through my six point inspections. Maybe I skipped one out of excitement. I restarted the machine, shouted about a new record, and felt a dull ache in my hand. Only after about a hundred ice pops had been packed did I notice I was missing most of my right ring finger, along with my ring.

The damnedest thing is, my hands were so cold I barely felt it until I got to the hospital.

Everything after was a blur, but the key points still haunt me. One, I lost the scholarship. Coach said I’d never play football again, and I believed him. Two, Debbie left me. Said it was nothing personal and then shacked up with the quarterback. Three, I kept my job, but only for another year.

Art gave me a bunch of ice cream to help me cope with the loss of my finger. I realize now that this was a bribe so I wouldn’t sue. Well, I was young, dumb, and down on my luck. I didn’t know better back then.

A year later, Art was shut down by the government for bribery and safety violations. And my finger? It was never found.

Until now.

Maybe.

I left home after that and spent my best years drifting from one crappy job to another, one broken relationship to the next, but I did keep in contact with my sister. Or, she kept in contact with me. When we were kids I thought she was the most annoying person in the world – because she was – but everything changed when we went our own ways. Turns out, she’s the only constant in my life, and I’d probably have wound up on the street or worse without her. Where everything falls to crap for me, she’s got a stable marriage, two lovely kids who happen to be the world’s best niece and nephew – and ain’t nothing ever going to change my mind about that – and this infinite well of patience and understanding for when the world takes another punt at me.

And a spare couch with my name on it.

I told her time and again my whole life went to hell the moment I lost that finger. Like I died that day. But she always found a way to make me feel better. Like it was worth it to keep trying anyway.

Sometimes she finds leads for me. The latest? An old newspaper from a podunk called Granning Falls, in Arizona. The internet says it has a population of 2,700, is nowhere near a waterfall, and is picturesque, if you like deserts.

So the front page is a photo of Mandrew and Rosalind Becker, smiling against the backdrop of the town hall. The headline: Granning Falls Heroes Score Win Against Big Ice Cream. Turns out, they won a settlement of $5,000 when they sued Tender Dairy.

Because they found a finger in their ice pops.

It wasn’t hard to learn the Beckers still lived in Granning Falls. My pickup looks extra beat-to-death when I park in front of their home, a broad adobe house. Their lawn is a manicured rock garden, with tactically placed cactuses. There’s short ones and tall ones… I don’t really know anything about cactuses. They look pretty though.

There’s a red stone path that winds towards their door and I feel like I’m on safari. I pass a kind of tiny Grand Canyon, with a garden gnome and plastic flamingo chilling in it. By the door, a couple spiky plants. I think they’re agaves, but I don’t really know. They got that kind of blue/green colour, like on the tequila labels. Well, not the tequilas I buy, but the fancy ones.

I hear a man clear his throat, and I startle. When I look up, I see an old guy standing in the shade of the door. He’s wearing sunglasses and cowboy boots, but also really short shorts and his legs are pasty.

“Can I help you?” he says. It sounds like a genuine question, not like a passive-aggressive what the hell are you doing here?

“Um,” I say.

“Mandrew Becker,” he says, and he holds out his hand. Shaking makes me self-conscious and I hate it, but I reach out before I know what I’m doing.

“Corey Farcus,” I mumble. I guess I’m still stunned that he’s the guy and that he caught me snooping in his yard. As soon as we shake, he glances down at my hand.

“Oh,” he says, and then he grins. “Well, come inside, friend.” He calls out to his wife, “Rosie! Some lemonade please! We have a guest.”

Their house is cool and reminds me of stepping into an ice cream freezer. I numbly follow Mandrew to a shaded room with wicker furniture. We sit. Then Rosalind – I presume – shows up with a tray and giant pitcher of pink. She sets it down and looks at me with wonder.

“Rosie!” Mandrew says, grinning. Her eyes dart to my hand before I’m able to hide it. She smiles. Then she pours three glasses and sits beside her husband.

“Um,” I say, not sure how to begin.

“We’ve been expecting you,” she says, and they share a look.

Well, now I’m completely lost. “Uhh… you’ve been expecting me?”

Mandrew claps his hands with glee. He points to my hand and then to me. “You’re the guy, aren’t you? The guy that lost his finger.”

I hide my right hand in my left and I’m suddenly overcome with emotions. My eyes are watering and my breath’s unsteady. “Yeah,” I manage.

“Oh, it’s okay,” says Rosalind. She passes me a tissue. “We didn’t mean to stress you out, it’s just we’re very excited. Have some lemonade.”

The tissue’s welcome and the lemonade’s pretty dang good, even if it is pink. It calms me down.

“Why were you expecting me?”

They look at each other again. “Well,” says Mandrew, “we only kind of were. Always said to ourselves, ‘Say, wouldn’t it be something if the fella stopped by one day?’ Isn’t that right, Rosie?”

Rosalind nods. “Passion fruit, right? The double popsi-pack, from Tender Dairy?”

“Oh my god!” I say, covering my mouth with both hands. I don’t even register that my mutilation is on full display. It doesn’t bother the Beckers. “It is you.”

“It is you,” Mandrew repeats. They hold each other’s hands. “It was, uh, Corey, right?”

I nod.

“So, Corey,” Rosalind says. “What finally brought you to our door?”

Again, I’m finding it hard to breathe. “My finger!” I blurt out. “You’re the last people that ever saw it. My whole life went to hell when I lost it.” I keep rambling. I don’t know how long, but I spill everything. The scholarship, Debbie, losing the job and then all the crap years since. Like an endless prison sentence. I go through a dozen tissues and Rosalind coos to me and pats my back. Mandrew keeps topping up my lemonade. After I’m done, we share a moment of silence.

“I guess I just,” I hesitate, unsure why I came. It was a feeling, an urge, not a plan. “You’re the last people that saw it. I want some closure, some explanation for why my life turned out the way it did. I don’t know.”

Some unsaid conversation passes between them. “Would you,” Rosalind says, her words creeping mischievously, “like to see it?”

My heart skips a beat. “What?

“Would you like to see it?” Mandrew says.

What!?

They grin, and then Rosalind pulls at a silver chain around her neck, a necklace hidden within her blouse. When she pulls it out, I see it’s threaded through two-and-a-half human finger bones: the phalanges of the fourth finger.

I think I scream.

“We call him Wesley,” Mandrew says, as he pets the bones.

“That’s my finger!”

“Wesley’s a part of our family,” Rosalind says, unperturbed by my tone.

“Why do you have my finger!?”

“Corey,” Mandrew says, his voice warm and welcoming. “Listen. Our lives changed when we found that finger in our ice pop.”

He tells me they sued Tender Dairy and could have walked away with a cool hundred grand, but instead they settled for $5,000 and keeping the finger. Why?

“Because we just knew it was good luck,” he says. “There was a sign – some crappy little ring on it. Got a couple hundred for that.”

He goes on. When they used the date of the incident to pick lotto numbers, they won. Not the jackpot, but a decent windfall. When they dropped the bones on the sports page, they picked the Super Bowl winner – every year, without fail. They were football bones, that was for sure. They used to have terrible plumbing issues in the house, but all those disappeared after they got the finger. Their indoor plants stopped dying. Their dogs never had fleas. And old bed-ridden Aunt Bernice, on hearing of the miraculous bones, sprung out of bed and recovered the use of her legs.

“So you see, Corey,” Mandrew says, cradling the bones – my bones – in his hands, “these are lucky bones. This is a lucky finger. We call him Wesley, and he’s a part of our family.”

“But that’s my finger!”

“Well, dear,” says Rosalind, “if you count the days, Wesley has actually been in our family longer than he has been with you.”

It’s true. I’ve spent more of my life without the finger than with. But it’s still mine, isn’t it?

Anyway, that’s not important. This just proves what I’ve known all along. My luck was in that finger, and my whole life went to hell as soon as I lost it. My sister was wrong. No amount of hard work, or determination, or whatever, would have changed anything. My life was totally in the hands of my finger.

“Please,” I say, “my life is miserable. I need that – my – finger back.”

“Corey,” says Mandrew. “Do you really think having these bones back will turn your life around?”

“It’s a lucky finger! You said so yourself.”

“Well,” says Rosalind, “the thing is, Wesley chose to live with us. It’s not enough to just have luck, is it? It’s all in your attitude. How you use it.”

I have no idea what that means. All I know is I need my finger back.

“Please. I’ll do anything! I need it back.”

They share another look, like they’ve been expecting this. Rosalind silently gets up, hands the finger-chain to Mandrew, and walks out of the living room.

“Luck’s a weird thing,” Mandrew says. “It’s a bit like money or health. You can never have enough of it.” He laughs himself hoarse. “Okay, Corey. I’ll tell you what. It’s true we’ve lived a blessed life since we found that finger. We’re getting old and our plan was to have our kids inherit it. But maybe you’re right. Maybe it belongs back with you.”

“Thank you!”

“Uh uh uh.” He raises a hand. “Not so fast. It’s not for me to decide.”

“It’s not?”

“How about this.” He lays a coin on his coffee table. “It’s an old Spanish doubloon, from the time we lost Wesley in the garden.” He goes on about how they dug up half of it, and found a buried pile of hidden Spanish treasure. Just one more stroke of luck. “We’ll flip for it.”

“So if I win, you’ll give me my finger back?”

“That’s right,” Mandrew says. “It’s only fair. If that’s the way luck goes, we’ll part with it.”

“And if I lose?”

“Well,” says Mandrew. “As I said, you can never have too much luck.” I hear Rosalind coming back, and I see she’s carrying another tray.

“It seems we’re wagering a finger,” Mandrew continues, “so it’s only fair that you do as well.”

Rosalind sets down her tray. On it is a bowl filled with ice and water, some white towels, disinfectant, gauze, and a butcher knife.

“What do you say, Corey? Ring finger for ring finger?” I can’t breathe.

He picks up the coin, walks it between his fingers. My skin is crawling with ants.

“Heads or tails?” he says. “Or maybe you don’t want to flip. Maybe you’d prefer to just go back home, happy in the knowledge that Wesley has a good home? No problem with that. After all, luck’s not a real thing, is it?”

The silence drags. My heart hammers with every beat. Mandrew stops twirling the coin and moves to put it down again, but then stops when I speak.

“Heads.”

January 09, 2023 23:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

60 comments

Chris Campbell
06:22 Jan 13, 2023

Corey should have written off his loss and moved on. His obsession for his missing finger inhibited his growth, stunting his ability to move forward in life. Not sure what the moral of the story should be, but for me, it's stay away from weird old folk with a strange obsession for fingers. A great read, Michal. Funny and scary at the same time.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:39 Jan 13, 2023

That is, of course, the very best of morals :) I think you've got a good read on Corey, with the obsession and stunting. Maybe it was easier to blame a magic finger for his ills than picking himself up and moving on, and after that it became a habit.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marilyn Filewood
03:28 Jan 13, 2023

Debbie went off with the quarterback! And if I find a finger in my icypole maybe my indoor plants with stop dying? Of course, when they lost Wesley in the garden they dug up Spanish treasure. This story is just a treasure trove of ideas which don't stop coming. Even the agaves by the door reflect his down-on-his-luck drinking habits. It's as jam-packed with goodies as that overflowing freezer.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:37 Jan 13, 2023

Thanks, Marylin! It was a fun story to write, and I'm glad you enjoyed it :) Though, I can't guarantee the plant-saving powers of dismembered fingers :) Hmm, maybe if it had been a green thumb? I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
18:57 Jan 12, 2023

First rate first line. Super original idea. CREEPY twist. This line alone should win *something*: “We call him Wesley,” Mandrew says, as he pets the bones. *GOOSEBUMPS* Under the horror and humor, this story has layers (though it could also just exist to be purely entertaining). But it easily represents the mindset shift that can follow any great trauma or change in someone's life, and how that defining moment could set them on a whole new course/keep them stuck in the past, now REdefining their life by THAT moment. Anyway, good stuff!...

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:02 Jan 12, 2023

Woo! Freedom 52! Or something :) Sticking with it has helped me build writing discipline though, and pretty much eliminated writer's block, which is awesome. Far as nit-picking goes, please do! I did actually mean for that passage to be assumed, where the reader recalls that the Beckers went through their good luck history after Corey went through his bad luck history - but if it's confusing or jarring, it's got to go. I've changed it around to be more explicit. It's a fine balance, providing too much information and exposition dumping, a...

Reply

Aeris Walker
18:36 Jan 14, 2023

I think that little tweak made a big difference! And congrats on your other shortlisted story! I need to get caught up and go read it 😉

Reply

Michał Przywara
19:23 Jan 14, 2023

Thanks :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kendall Defoe
22:03 Jan 11, 2023

This is brilliant, with an excellent opening line. And it proves that it is the small things that linger in our thoughts, no matter what comes next. Felt like an Etgar Keret or Dahl story... ☝🏾

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:40 Jan 12, 2023

Thanks, Kendall! Yeah, and the longer something lingers, the bigger it seems :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
00:29 Jan 11, 2023

Wow, what a tale! There is so much to delve into here, and I don't think I have the analytical chops to do it. However, I love the way you work with a simple phalange to bring out so much emotion and substance of life. Corey's life went to hell, but did it have to? No. Did Mandrew and Rosie benefit from having his lucky finger? The facts seem to warrant this belief. In the end, what we find is a man desperate to regain his finger, which has to be a symbol for everything he lost. What Corey doesn't get is that his obsession with his missing...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:43 Jan 11, 2023

"Corey shows himself to be what he is: a puppet of fate." I think that's right on. He's stuck and can't help but indulge the obsession. Will getting some bones back really improve anything? Probably not. Will losing the other ring finger make things worse? Probably. Maybe he had some peace of mind, being able to blame all his ills on his missing finger. For better or worse, that seems to be at an end. Thanks for the feedback, Delbert! Poe and King, those are some humbling comparisons. Though now that you mention it, I'm reminded of a Ste...

Reply

Delbert Griffith
21:54 Jan 11, 2023

Agatha Christie also has a book entitled "The Moving Finger." The title is in reference to a line from a famous writing by Omar Kayyham. The stanza in the Kayyham piece speaks of fate and how your fate, once written, cannot be changed. And I do think that Corey will have some peace of mind because he has a missing finger to blame his life on. The way you wrote this tale was superb, and we are left with all sorts of questions and possibilities. That's Shakespearean. Amazing piece, my man.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
23:07 Jan 10, 2023

Oh my heaven! Michal, this one was crazy in all the best ways. I loved the way you spoke about this character and built him up to be the MC of a teen rom com. I also loved the way you talked about the ice cream and how eloquent “the incident” was written. I was absolutely shocked at this ending and had my fingers crossed that Corey wins the coin toss. Nice job!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:43 Jan 11, 2023

Thanks, Amanda :) "crazy in all the best ways" is what I was hoping for - I'm glad you enjoyed it! Yeah, Corey's been on quite the ride :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cindy Strube
21:03 Jan 10, 2023

Their dogs never had flees. *Fleas * More later - just a quick note, hoping you’ll be able to make an edit.

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:02 Jan 10, 2023

Lifesaver! Thank you :) I've developed a great system for avoiding typos, so now I've just graduated to using the wrong words altogether :)

Reply

Cindy Strube
08:27 Jan 11, 2023

Ha! That would hardly have killed the story, but—you’re welcome! ; ) I guess I could have been a proofreader, because that sort of thing just sticks out to me. Now, on to the story itself: Delightfully dark, masterfully morbid. Right off, it seems apparent that the narrator has somehow lost a finger. You drop some *cool* hints about the ice cream packer, numb hands, &c. Corey is a very sympathetic character. We want him to have some luck again. And then we have the nice old Beckers. Maybe they’re little odd, or have just gotten funny in the...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:35 Jan 11, 2023

That's a good soundtrack! I wasn't initially aiming for horror, but the end product does lean that way a bit. Well, macabre, dark, and a little morbid - sure, these were aims. The Beckers were fun to write though :) More fun than expected. They turned into this friendly/sinister couple with their own goals, and an entirely, totally decent proposal. Definitely not an inappropriate offer at all :) I don't know if Corey's going to get what he wanted, win or lose. I never actually got around to King's Quest yet. I missed the golden age of ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
15:06 Jan 10, 2023

Great little horror story. The narrator wasn't a voice I was expecting in one your stories! It really worked. I knew people just like this when I was growing up. And what an Edgar Allan Poe horror vibe in the game at the end. That they wouldn't give him back his own finger was such cruel irony, and how his life went downhill and their's went uphill was a great backstory to increase the stakes. Nice one.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:44 Jan 10, 2023

Thanks, Scott! I didn't actually set out for horror initially, but it certainly ended up with some. It just struck me one day, how it was kind of odd that we collect the body parts of animals - maybe antlers, or bird feathers, or dismembered rabbit feet - and keep them as charms or decorations. Well, why not human parts? A little morbid, perhaps :) But it seemed a great fit for the prompt.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
14:43 Jan 10, 2023

Beautifully crafted as you smoothly bring us down his life trajectory and then pull a gruesome surprise through the weirdly ordinary couple, which makes it creepier. So are objects lucky, or is it just our belief in them that makes the luck? I love that you don't reveal the outcome of the toss at the end. The real outcome is his unchanging belief. Oh, and killer title! You are such a skillful story teller.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:43 Jan 10, 2023

Thanks, Laurel! Yeah, I think in Corey's case, he's an absolute believer. You don't get anywhere in life through effort, only through the fickle blessings of some external force called luck. Win or lose, I'm not sure his life would get much better, but who knows. I appreciate the feedback :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
12:52 Jan 10, 2023

The turn that this story took—wow! Absolutely loved this piece from start to finish. Corey is a really sympathetic character, and the plot is so creative. I love the double-meaning the title carries, and I really hope that coin flip worked out for Corey (and that he runs out of that house as fast as possible). Great job!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:49 Jan 10, 2023

Thanks, Phoenix! I'm glad you enjoyed it :) Yeah, he got himself into quite a situation :) And yeah, the title was one of those where as soon as it occurred to me, I knew: yup, this is the one.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Liv Chocolate
09:22 Jan 10, 2023

Yes yes yes. I loved this. And I admire your ability to show just how much something means to a character before you take it away from them. It makes the loss that much more devastating. Between the football scholarship and his job, we really what a crucial role fingers play in his life. Then bam—it’s gone, and we feel the loss as if it were our own. And that family in the end! I loved the subtle horror there Congrats on yet another killer story, Michael—and on crafting a unique, engaging story out of what I’d argue is the most challengin...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:47 Jan 10, 2023

Thanks, Liv! Glad you enjoyed it :) Yeah, Corey blames all the ills in his life on the loss of that finger, and just knows that things'll turn around if he can get it back. But will they? Or is it just easier to believe that's the case? I suspect win or lose, he'll probably be disappointed. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Liv Chocolate
21:23 Jan 15, 2023

It reminds me of those people who say they would've been a famous quarterback or whatever if it weren't for x, y, and z. I suppose everyone say that to some extent. It makes unreached dreams easier to cope with

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
02:48 Jan 10, 2023

I enjoyed this story. It was full of descriptions with lots of dialogue; although Corey's life turned for the worst after losing his finger, it worked out for the Beckers. The ending was a great unexpected twist. The Beckers are quite creepy though. Who knew a finger could do all that? And then someone else's finger at that! Thanks for the great read. LF6

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:57 Jan 10, 2023

Thanks for the edit, Lily! I added the word. They are a little creepy, aren't they? It's like, friendly-sinister. But you can never have too much luck :) I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
02:35 Jan 10, 2023

Ooh I love this! What an unusual, macabre mini-thriller! Would bookmark this episode! :)

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:59 Jan 10, 2023

Unusual and macabre, I like that :) The bones for this idea popped into my mind immediately after reading the prompt, and I had to roll with it. Thanks for reading, Wendy!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
22:22 Jan 10, 2023

"We call him Wesley, and he’s a part of our family.” hehe I had to re-read and got tickled all over again. Just fantastic, and if it just came to you, even better! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kasey Fisher
16:47 Jan 21, 2023

Funny and creepy! I found a bandaid in my salad one time, about threw up! My first thought: I want to hug Corey and punch Debbie. My great aunt lived next door to a weird, old couple who remind me of Mandrew and Rosalind. A unique, well written story!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:49 Jan 23, 2023

Thanks, Kasey! That sounds like a terrible salad :) I'm glad you enjoyed the story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
17:26 Jan 19, 2023

"My life was totally in the hands of my finger." I believe I will remember this line for the rest of my days. The imagination it took to weave this story together and then successfully give it life - amazing job, Michal. I loved Mandrew and Rosalind - I kept picturing The Addams Family in the back of my mind. Just the name "Mandrew" is inspired and ooky! I enjoyed reading this story as much as I've ever enjoyed any fun romp-around in my head. Now I can go back to work and I'll have a smile on my face. Thanks, Michal - this was fun!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:55 Jan 19, 2023

Ha! I'm glad you highlighted that line - I like it too :) Seems like a perfectly ridiculous thing to say :) This was definitely a fun story to write. I can see the Addams connection too. Every family has *some* secrets, no doubt. Thanks for reading, Susan!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wally Schmidt
19:00 Jan 18, 2023

A story that is all about the wisdom of leaving the past behind..even when the past is good. So much better to live in the present and this story highlights that. It also shows the power of luck when it lives in our head and also when it leaves. All the MCs are quite chilling and you don't really have anyone to route for here which makes this story, in itself, quite unique.

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:25 Jan 18, 2023

Thanks, Wally! Yeah, luck can take on lots of power if we let it. Same if we allow our past to control us. I'm sure many will struggle with that, and some like Corey, will remain struggling. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kasey Fisher
19:14 Jan 17, 2023

Loved this! I love anything with a "creepy/weird" vibe to it! Well done! Fairly original as well, hard to achieve!

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:03 Jan 18, 2023

Thanks, Kasey! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
12:16 Jan 17, 2023

Wow, so creepy, I might have nightmares of a smiling little old woman waving a butchers knife! This line sums it up nicely “After all, luck’s not a real thing, is it?” It has that ominous tone of… or is it…? *cue music from the Twilight Zone.*

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:09 Jan 17, 2023

Thanks, Michelle! Heh, that's exactly the tone I hoped for with that line :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
21:08 Jan 16, 2023

You never know what you're going to get with a Michal P story, as this one proves. I spent the whole first half wondering if you had one of these ice pop machines in your kitchen or if this was Saturday job nostalgia or just researching very icy recesses of the internet and then it spun off into a whole new direction. Lost fingers, lucky ( or unlucky ones) I spent a fair bit of time mulling over the Dahl children's book The Magic Finger and its take on environmental curses...like your story, that one riffs on the idea that one person's mis...

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:11 Jan 17, 2023

Thanks, Rebecca! That's kind of the definition of bad business, isn't it? One side profits, the other loses. I never worked with a packing machine, so that's all research. And that research dug up quite a few lost digits, with bizarre stories. Sometimes it's hard for fiction to compete with reality :) Glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
14:48 Jan 16, 2023

Cool story. I was expecting this smug couple to at least give him some of their lucky windfall. On a deeper level, Corey was unable to move on after the loss of his finger. Maybe implying that to some extent we are in charge of our own fate and it’s the loss of belief that holds him back.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:49 Jan 16, 2023

Thanks, Helen! Yeah, he seemed to get stuck after the accident. I think you're right, as he seemed to believe that he was powerless, and everything was controlled by external factors, like luck. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.