More Than Just A Childhood Event

Submitted into Contest #102 in response to: Frame your story as an adult recalling the events of their childhood.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Happy American

As much as I hated to part with it as it took me back to my childhood I knew it was time.

Toby was turning eight tomorrow and his father and I were planning to grant him his birthday wish. He was our fourth generation of Cub fans.

My dad was a die hard Cub fan who took me to my first game when I was six. We had seats directly behind the Cub dugout. I had found a ball before the game and after the game the entire team autographed it for me. I had decided it was time to pass it on to Toby.

Game day and his birthday arrived and he was knocking on my door bright and early.

"Morning, kiddo. Guess you're pretty excited already."

"You bet, grandpa."

"I smell breakfast cooking. Let's go eat then I have a surprise for you."

"Super. Let's go eat."

His grandmother had bacon, eggs, toast and melon ready. Grandma and I ate slowly but Toby was like a vacuum and had his gone in no time at all.

"Not so fast, kiddo. We have all morning."

"Mom had some chores for dad to do. Then he'll be over. Come on, grandpa. Hurry up. What's the surprise?"

"Hold your horses. If I eat too fast I will get indigestion and won't be able to go."

"You gotta go. Dad won't buy me anything but I know you will."

"Let's keep that quiet."

"Okay. Guess I'll have some more toast then."

When they were all finished, grandma said she would clean up. I took Toby to the den.

"I know you are super excited about going to your first Cub's game so I thought I would tell you about mine."

We settled onto the couch and I began to tell my grandson about my Wrigley Field adventure.

"I was about your age and until that day had not really paid any attention to baseball. But that day changed that forever. First, as we will do this afternoon, took the L as it was called then to the stadium. It was a day game because back in my day it was before

Wrigley had lights. At any game you would see fathers who were skipping a day of work with sons who were skipping a day of school.

We got there just after the gates opened. The team was still taking batting practice. Before we even got to our seats I found a ball. I was so excited. Our seats were behind the Cub dugout. My dad called to one of the players who had just finnished hitting, told him this was my first Cub game and asked if he would sign the ball for me.

"You remember who it was?"

"Sure do and he immediately became my favorite player. It was Mister Cub himself, Ernie Banks. Not only did he sign the ball but called over to his teammates and had them sign it as well. So before I even saw a game I had a baseball autographed by the entire team."

"You still have it?"

"Sort of. Let me finish telling my Cub experience tale. They were playing their biggest rival that day. The much hated Saint Louis Cardinals were in town. All Cub fans hated the Cardinals and all Cardinal fans hated the Cubs. By the end of the game I knew who all the Cub players were. And Mister Cub won the game in the bottom of the ninth with a home run.

"During the game we had hot dogs and fries. Got a big pag of peanuts after the seventh inning stretch. Before the home team bats in the bottom of the seventh everybody stands to stretch and sing 'Take Me Out To the Ball Game'.

"Can we get there when the gates open so I can look for a ball?"

"I think that is the plan if your dad gets his chores done."

"He will. I think he wants to go as bad as I do."

"Probably so because there is something very special about taking your son to his first Cub game."

"So was dad excited?"

"Your dad was already a big fan and his first game had been rained out twice."

"Hope it doesn't rain today."

"Not supposed to but you know how quickly they can blow in off the lake."

Suddenly they heard a commotion on the front porch.

"Suppose that is your clumsy dad?"

Toby jumped up to run and see if that was his dad making all that noise. He returned with a disappointed look on his face.

"It was Mrs. Brooks cat."

"So sit back down. I have something for you."

"Oh yeah. The surprise."

I retrieved a box I had hidden behind the couch.

"Happy birthday, Toby."

"Thanks, grandpa."

Toby wasted no time opening the package.

"Wow! A baseball glove."

"Yep. You may need it if a foul ball is hit your way and if your dad lets you play little league. Look deeper. I think there might be something else."

Toby poked and prodded at what he thought was just packing paper. His hand connected with what felt like another small box. It too was wrapped and after tearing the wrapper off Toby stood there in shock. In his small but now eight year old hand was the baseball his grandpa had just told him all about.

"Grandpa. This is your baseball."

"I know but I want you to have it."

"Won't dad be disappointed you did not give it to him?"

"He has aquired several but he keeps them locked up thinking they will be worth a fortune some day."

By eleven o'clock and still no sign of his dad Toby was getting a bit worried. Looking at his grandpa's Cub card collection from over the years had passed most of the morning.

Then he heard footsteps coming up the front steps and just knew it had to be his dad.

As the L stopped at the Addison Avenuestop most of the riders got off. Toby, his dad and I were among them.

Moments later Toby stood in awe of Wrigley Field. He could not believe he was actually here.

They picked their tickets up at the will-call window and headed for the main entrance. Toby could hear bats connecting with baseballs. Batting practice obviously still underway.

Before he knew it they had seen three innings, had eaten hot dogs, fries, peanuts and drank Pepsi. As the last out of the third inning was made, the PA announcer's voice boomed.

"Attention to the third base box seats. Here on his eighth birthday for his first Cub game is young Toby Taylor. Please join me in singing 'happy birthday'."

Toby felt every eye in the stadium on him as the whole crowd sand for him. An usher approached and handed him a baseball. Looking at it he saw it was covered in signatures. Then he saw the Cub team exit the dugout, look his way and tip their hats.

He was elated. This was his best birthday ever.

July 14, 2021 03:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.