1 comment

Romance Sad Fiction

You yawn, leaning against my shoulder. I can’t help but laugh as I lean down to murmur in your ear. “You’re gonna miss it.”

“And who’s fault is that?” you grumble, though you open your eyes and sit up. “I’m not the one who woke us up before dawn.”

“Trust me Starlight, it’ll be worth it,” I reply.

You let out a little huff, and I lean down to press a kiss to the top of your head.

Moments later, our patience is rewarded as the sun crests the horizon, the sky turning vivid orange and red as the meadow in front of us lights up. I glance down at you to find your dark eyes wide, taking in the sight.

“I told you,” I murmured.

“Shut up Moonbeam,” you tell me without looking away. I laugh, give you another kiss, and return my gaze to the sky.

~

I lean in and brush a kiss to your cheek. You grumble, tugging the sheets up higher.

“Good morning Starlight,” I whisper.

Slowly, your eyes blink open. “Is it really?”

“Mhm.” I brush your hair away from your face and resist the urge to squeeze you as you yawn cutely.

You stare at me for a moment, then bury your face in the pillows, mumbling, “Five more minutes.”

“But Starlight,” I wheedle, “breakfast will be cold by then.”

You hesitated. “Did you make it?”

“No,” I admit. “I asked Maria to help me out.”

“Good,” you say, finally sitting up.

“What, you don’t trust my cooking?”

You give me a deadpan stare, even as you accept breakfast with a murmured thanks.

“Starlight, I am offended—” Your stare doesn’t let up, and I give up halfway through with a sigh. “Okay, but it was one time.”

“Maybe one time giving me food poisoning, but what about your brother?”

I stick my tongue out at you, and you return the gesture with a giggle.

~

The moment you see me, you let out an exaggerated groan and collapse right on top of me.

“How’s the princess?” I wrap my arms around you, making sure you won’t fall off the couch.

“Kept fussing,” you mumble into my collar. “She just now finally settled enough to nap.”

“At least you got her to sleep,” I say, running my fingers through your hair and untangling the knots I find.

You nod, but let out a small grumble. “But now I’m tired, but I’m hungry Moonbeam.”

“Well,” I draw out the word. You turn your head and fix me with your dark-eyed, tired glare. “What if I said I ordered pizza because I anticipated you’d want lunch but not want to cook?”

You blink. “Really?”

“Would I lie about pizza Starlight?”

You wiggle in my grip until we’re face to face and you can kiss me properly. “Have I mentioned I love you?” you mumble.

“Maybe once or twice,” I tease. “But it never hurts to hear you say it again.”

You laugh and kiss me again. “I love you,” you say.

My phone buzzes, and I check it, then carefully maneuver until I can slip out from under you. “I shall return,” I announce, “with pizza.”

“You’re the best Moonbeam,” you say as I start to leave.

I laugh and call over my shoulder, “Love you too.”

~

Lilly giggles as I twirl her around the yard, and before I even set her down she’s demanding more.

“Patience princess.” I tap her nose, and she scrunches it in confusion. “You’ll get another turn soon. But first.” I turn to where you’re sitting on the back steps and hold out my hand. “My Starlight?”

You smile at me, readjusting Alex more securely in your arms, then take my hand. “Yes Moonbeam?”

I grin as I tug you to your feet. “Your turn, obviously.”

You laugh and follow my lead as I gently spin you around, careful not to disturb Alex too much. After a few turns around the yard though, you pull away.

“I think somebody’s eager for another turn,” you say, glancing over at Lilly, who’s been bouncing around us this whole time.

“My Starlight?” I smirk and spin you one more time.

You let out another laugh, then tug your hand out of mine and nod at Lilly, who immediately jumps back into my arms. I hold her close for a moment while I lean in to kiss you, then I lift her high and twirl her around.

The backyard is full of golden afternoon sun and laughter, and I wouldn’t mind if it stayed like this for forever. 

~

Darkness falls quickly, this far into winter. I watch the snow drift past the square of light coming from the window, even as I hear you trying to wrangle Lilly into her coat.

Eventually, you come join me by the window. “Penny for your thoughts?”

I glance down at the penny held between your fingers. “Trying to bribe me, hm?” I ask, tugging you close.

“Depends. Is it working?” You don’t wait for me to answer before giving me a kiss. “Well, I finally got the princess ready to brave the cold. We’ll be back in a couple hours. Are you sure you’ll be fine while we’re gone?”

“Of course, have some faith in me Starlight.” But I don’t let go quite yet. “I should be the one asking you that. It’s still snowing.”

“And I’ll be careful.” Your dark eyes are oh so serious as they meet mine. “After all, what kind of partner would I be if I just ran off with your heart and daughter and never returned either?”

“Sorry.” I kiss you again. “I guess I’m just paranoid.”

“I promise Moonbeam. We’ll be just fine.”

“Okay.” I hold on for one, two, three more seconds, then reluctantly let go. “Have fun. I love you.”

“I love you too.” You head for the door and blow me a kiss just before crossing the threshold. And despite my paranoia, I just watch you go, and watch as your taillights disappear into the evening snow.

~

I slip off my shoes and socks as I reach the end of the dock, then sit and let my feet dangle in the water. The night silence is broken only by the soft sound of water lapping at the shores of the lake.

“Hey Starlight. It’s been a while, hasn’t it.”

I kick at the water, disturbing the moon’s reflection on the surface.

“It’s been… Well, it’s been a time, without you. Alex is sweet, but sometimes… Well, he and Lilly would have been a handful together, that’s all I know.”

Out here, the stars burn bright and clear. If I look hard enough, I can see their reflections wavering in the water.

“He reminds me of you, every single day. I just wish…”

I trail off, then sigh. “I’m sorry, Starlight,” I murmur. “I should have fought harder to stop you from going, and now… I’m so sorry.”

I’m startled by a sudden flicker of light on the water, and turn to find a light on in the cabin I just left.

“I suppose my absence will be noticed soon.” I reluctantly stand, gathering my shoes. “I love you Starlight. I love you, and I miss you so, so much.”

And with that I turn to head back to the cabin, leaving behind the reflections in the water and your ghost in the starlight. 

November 20, 2020 06:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Cathryn V
06:16 Nov 27, 2020

Hi Giglia, I like the feeling of attraction between Starlight and Moonbeam. The story might benefit from some character description. I wasn't sure who or what the characters (Star and Moon) were. Mother and daughter? Boyfriend and girlfriend? Thanks for writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.