0 comments

Fiction Romance Gay

He always sits on the same bench. He stays put as if his body were roots and the sun waters his soul with its rays. Every evening he stays until the sky darkens, eventually taking a stroll through town, talking to everyone in sight.

All my life, I heard stories about the old man and the possible reasons behind his sudden appearance in town. My friends and I discussed the gossip surrounding him for weeks. I never believed the tall tales until today. Today, I wanted to believe.

I walked along the sidewalk, watching the hues turn in the distance. I turn the corner, instantly spotting him.

"Heyya!" I call out. Wisps of grey hair bob as the old man turns to me, a wide grin spreading across his face.

“I was wondering when you'd come to talk to me,” his frail voice grows soft as the smile touches his eyes. He motions for me to sit with a trembling hand. I plop down with a soft sigh. He must have seen me watching him.

"It's really sunny today," I say.

"You didn't come here to talk about the weather, lad," he watches me from the corner of his eye as he faces the passing cars.

"I heard this crazy story the other day. Well, I always hear stories. One just... Well, it meant a little more to me this time."

"What is it that you want to happen?"

I turn to face him, sweat colliding with my nerves-collecting on my forehead.

"Well, sir. Uh-So..." I trail off, the words staying a forbidden tale on my tongue. He turns to me slightly, his brow lifting gently.

"There's this guy... I see him all the time. We talk all the time. I know that he..." I feel my hands start to shake as my voice trembles.

"How is it that I could help you?" His voice was laced with curiosity.

I nod, swallowing my doubts, trying to force my thoughts out.

"I know what you say comes true," I finally mumble. "Please. I know that you can give me some confidence. Can you make me confess?" I look away before he can meet my eyes.

"That's all?" I heard the shock, but I wasn't sure which part of my request he was more surprised by. I nod timidly.

"Done," he quips before standing, stretching his cracking joints. He grabs his cane and begins to walk away. I watch him as he meanders down the sidewalk, greeting anyone who walks near enough. I watch him lean into one young woman whose eyes find me easily. She covers her mouth, a blush rising to her cheeks as she giggles. She says something to the old man and continues on her way.

I rise quickly, my feet suddenly moving. Wait, now? I head across the street, down the road, and through the glass doors of a building, I'd become too familiar with.

A little bell dings above me as the tea shop owner turns to greet me. Her curls stay in place as she whirls back around to her customers. I was a regular here. She would get to me when she could, knowing I didn't care how long it took. She knew I wasn't ever here for the tea.

I walk past her to the kitchen this time instead of heading for a table. I pass through the overhead noren, letting the fabric skate across my heated face.

An umber hand places a jiggling piece of mizu yokan on a small teal plate. Russet eyes glance up as I pause at the entryway. A smile starts at the corner of his full lips as he straightens.

"Sam, you're not supposed to be back here, ya know," his soothing voice reaches me over the nearby bubbling concoctions on the stovetop.

"I like you," I instantly burst out. Did I really just say that?! I slap a hand over my mouth as he drops one of the desserts. He looks down at where it splattered, jelly-like pieces coating the floor and his shoes.

"You do?" He questions, eyes still on the floor. Was that disgust in his voice?

"Yeah. For a long time now. That's why I come here. To talk to you even for just a moment."

"Sam," he begins. I brace myself for whatever he's about to say. "I saw you a long time ago at a bookstore. When you sat at the table of this tea shop, I thought it was fate finally giving me a win. I couldn't find the courage, though. I-"

Just then, Julie walks in, looking at me with a raised brow.

"What's a customer doing back here, Wes?"

"Can I take my break now?" Before she can reply, he tears off his apron, grabs my hand, and yanks me through the back door.

"Can I see you tonight? After work," Wes squeezes my hand with no indication of letting go. I nod quickly.

"I'd love that."

"Meet me here? Around 9:30, yeah?" He asks. I nod once more, my chest aching with anticipation. "I'll teach you a couple recipes. Maybe even my famous Mizu Yokan one that you order every time you visit." A playful smile lights up his masculine features. He noticed that?

"I gotta head back, but hey," he leans in slowly, looking into my eyes. "I'm so glad one of us found some courage." He gives my hand one more squeeze before heading back in. I slowly lean against the wall, allowing myself to breathe and bask in the moment.

Suddenly, the old man appears, walking from the other side of the building.

"Hey! Thank you so much! You did it!" I call out as he makes his way to me.

"No, lad. I just made you think that," he says with a wink. I tilt my head at his words.

"It's been you all along. Your whispers come true. I had the same gift when I was about your age. Some old woman guided me. She was a nasty thing." A scowl play across his face before he looks at me, a slight grin appearing. "Anyway, I'll show you what you're capable of. Now that you've made the first steps."

"The first steps?" I question, my mind whirling.

"To accepting yourself. A step to allowing your happiness. It took me a long time to not be at the mercy of others and their destiny. My life changed when I grabbed my fate and began to write it. I'll teach you how to control the power of your voice. Your words hold a strength that can be harnessed." He pats my shoulder as I try to understand.

"Not tonight. Tonight, you focus on your life. You made today happen. Revel in it," he nods at me as he starts to walk off.

"Wait! I don't understand!" My words rush out, confusion still taking hold of me.

"Not tonight, Samuel. Tomorrow. You know where I'll be."

"It really wasn't you? You didn't do anything to make me confess to him?" I stare as he nears the mouth of the alley.

He turns back, shaking his head with a broad grin.

"That was all you, lad. Now, don't go gossiping about anyone tonight. Your ability will only continue to grow from now on," he waves as he turns the corner, disappearing from sight.

I stand there, trying to go over everything the old man had just said. Abilities? Me?

A loud clink sounds from behind the tea shop's door, forcing me out of my head. I scurry back to my car, thoughts of a much grander future than I was expecting playing out before me.

A future with a certain handsome baker.

June 03, 2023 02:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.