44 comments

Sad Drama

I board the commuter train with heartfelt tears in my eyes. The taste of my husband’s salty lips still in my mouth, and the whiff of cherry blossom still in my nose from my daughter’s favorite lotion. It breaks my heart to say goodbye to them. I’m shaken to my very core as my heart aches with sadness. I must leave Boston for a very important business meeting in Cape Cod.  

Come back soon mommy - echoes through my mind as I find my seat. I smile as I sit down in a maroon colored seat. I had no idea that train seats would be so comfortable, but it still doesn’t put my mind at ease. I miss them already. I wonder if every mom feels like this when they have to leave their family. I reach into my brown leather purse and pull out my iPhone. Sure enough, I already have a text message from my husband Dennis that reads:

Have a nice trip Samantha. Try to have some fun, and don’t worry about us. Lucy will be fine, and your sexy beast will be here when you get back! Love always. 

I inhale a deep breath, and slowly exhale. This usually helps with my anxiety. Dennis always has a way of making me feel better when I’m about to lose my shit. I put my business face on and agree to take my husband’s advice. I should try to enjoy myself.

My thought process is interrupted by more passengers entering the train. I never knew so many people still rode these things. It’s my first time riding the train, and I must admit - I’m a little nervous. I would have taken my car and drove to Cape Cod myself, but I didn't want to face the bumper to bumper traffic.

I see people of all ages both male and female taking their seats and pulling out their handheld devices. They look like a bunch of mindless zombies spaced out from a brain shortage. Isn’t it weird how we all seem so lost in the digital world? Have we lost that human connection? In my home we make time for each other, and only allow smart devices to be used when necessary. 

My thought process is interrupted again by the ticket master. He is wearing a fancy dark navy-blue uniform with bright gold buttons, and looks like he came straight from the 1800’s. 

“Ticket please,” he says with his hand held out. 

I reach into my pocket and place my ticket into his white gloved hand. He smiles warmly and says, “Thank you ma’am. I hope you have a pleasant trip.”

I nod my head and watch as he moves from seat to seat collecting everyone's tickets. He says the same thing to every person, apart from ma’am and sir respectively. I wonder if he really likes his job. If it were me, I would mix it up a little and have some fun. 

What’s up? Ticket please.

Yo’ Yo’ give me your ticket... now!

Come on you know what I want. Hand it over! 

Me the ticket monster. Me hungry, please feed me a ticket!

I hear myself giggle out loud and look around to see if anyone noticed. The next thing I hear is a rush of steam and a deafening toot, toot. I feel a slight pull on my body as the train moves forward with a chugga-chugga sound. I look out the window and watch the city zip by as we pick up speed. I open my eyes wide and become one with the train. It’s such a rush of exhilaration. This isn’t just a train ride - it’s an experience.

I look around to see if anyone else is enjoying the ride as much as I am, but they're all still zombified by their devices. I decide to be different and put my phone back into my purse. I sit back and just stare out the window. Things outside seem to wiz by so fast I almost feel like a superhero with super-speed. Well… that’s if superheroes existed in real life. Lucy loves The Flash, he’s one of her favorites. She would have gotten a thrill out of this! 

I hear a crackle over the intercom and the ticket master starts to talk:

“Ladies and gentlemen please remain in your seats. We are about to enter a tunnel, so things will be dark outside. The lights in here will stay on for your safety. Thank you for your patience.” 

Wow, this guy is a real pro, he should be an actor or something like that. I start to chuckle again, but no one cares. I close my eyes and lean my head back on the seat. I feel the tension in my neck loosen as I sink into the cushion. I was up all night preparing for the upcoming meeting, so I didn’t get much rest. I decide to take a small nap as we enter the tunnel. 

Thump

As I drift off to sleep a delightful memory of my wedding day springs to mind. Dennis looks into my eyes with a burning passion as he says his vows:

“From the moment I met you, I knew you were the one. You fill my heart with a happiness I can’t explain. It’s a wonderful feeling and I want to feel that every day for the rest of our lives. You're not only the woman I love, but my best friend. Today…,” he paused to wipe a tear away. “Today I give you my entire heart and soul. I will always love, honor, cherish, trust, and obey you for the rest of my life.” A quiet laughter erupts, and my mom snarls her mouth for them to shut up. 

Bump

My dream suddenly changes to when Lucy is born. Dennis holds my hand as I scream in agony. I squeeze so hard I can hear his fingers crack. Like a champ, he doesn’t let go. He holds on... he holds on. I give one final push and I swear I give it all I’ve got, and I hear her cries. The doctor raises her up to me, and she looks so beautiful I think I’m looking at a real-life Angel. 

Thump

I see Dennis sitting with Lucy - staring at her intently. “Say da-da… you can do it Lucy. Say da-da.” Lucy giggles the cutest laugh that lights my soul up like the burning sun. Dennis gives me that reassuring smile of his and I start to laugh. Lucy looks over at me, big blue eyes open wide and says her first word, “Ma… ma.” We just start laughing and we embrace her at the same time. 

Bump

My mind drifts off to Lucy’s first day of school, waiting for the school bus to pick her up. It starts to rain, and I pull her yellow hood up over her golden hair to keep it from getting wet. The school bus pulls right in front of us and the driver pulls open the door. 

“I’m scared mommy.” 

“I know sweetheart. Remember we talked about this. You’re going to make some wonderful friends!”

Lucy sucks in her bottom lip and says, “What if they don’t like me?” 

I kneel and give her a hug - not caring that my clothes will get wet. As we part I say: 

“I promise you that you will make friends and you will have a fun time learning about all kinds of wonderful things. But you’ll never know if you don’t have the courage to put one foot in front of the other and try it.”

Twisting back and forth Lucy says, “Oh… ok mommy. I’ll try it.” 

She runs up the big black steps and waves goodbye to me. The bus door closes and drives away. With a tear in my eye I wave goodbye. 

Thump

My thoughts roam to my tenth wedding anniversary. I just get done fixing breakfast - Lucy loves my pancakes. As I get ready to set the plates, I find a beautiful bundle of pink roses sitting on the dining room table glistening in the morning sun. Dennis pops up from behind the table and says, “Surprise! Happy Anniversary!” I run over as fast as I can and jump into his arms. I plant my lips on his and it feels just like our first kiss. 

“I love you Dennis.”

“I love you too!” 

The passion still burns deep within us even after all those years.

Lucy runs in smelling the pancakes and says, “Yes we all love each other. Now where’s my pancakes!”  

Boom

I open my eyes and look out the window. It’s still dark outside, so we must still be in the tunnel. I rub the sleepies out of my eyes and let my vision return to normal. I look around and all the seats are empty. Where did everyone go? The bathrooms aren’t that big. 

The ticket master approaches me from behind and places his hand on my shoulder. I look up at him and his eyes are gleaming. He somehow looks different from before. He is now wearing a bright white uniform with golden buttons. 

I raise my eyebrows and look up at him, “Where did everybody go?” I ask.

He gives me a comforting smile and replies, “I’m afraid you just missed them.”

I scrunch my lips together and wrinkle my forehead. “What do you mean I just missed them? Did we make an unscheduled stop?"

He shakes his head very slowly and closes his eyes. “They already flew away my dear, and now it’s time for you to come along with me.” 

I look at him like he’s crazy. “What do you mean they flew away?”

He takes a deep breath and says, “I’m afraid there was an accident.” He pauses for a moment and then continues. “A few minutes after we entered the tunnel, the train derailed. I’m afraid that no one survived.” 

I can’t believe what I’m hearing. “You mean I’m dead? I-I can’t be dead! I have a family!”

He doesn’t say anything and lowers his head. My heart falls into a deep abyss of panic.

“This can’t be happening!” 

“I have a husband and a daughter! I can’t be dead!”

“My life is an unfinished symphony!”

He looks up at me and points straight ahead through the darkness. I see a bright white light quickly approaching. The train rolls full steam ahead and we enter the light. I’m blinded for a moment, but only for a moment. A sense of calming peace sweeps over my subconscious. I look all around and observe scenery that I could only imagine.

I see big white stone pillars holding up two massive pearly white gates. 

I see golden trees pulsating with life. 

I see a crystal-clear waterfall falling from a high mountain top. 

I see Angels with big beautiful wings looking towards us. 

I turn around and see Earth lit up like a shining beacon surrounded by an endless void of darkness. 

I see my husband Dennis, and my daughter Lucy. 

I weep. 

Not for myself... never for myself. 

My soul weeps for the loved ones I will leave behind and the suffering they will feel with my passing. 

I weep for my daughter who will grow up without a mother.

I weep for my husband who will no doubt never be the same.

I feel some strange power tugging at my everlasting grace.

It’s time for me to cross over.

I walk towards the pearly gates and as they slowly open, the only thing I can see is a bright white light…

The End

Daniel R. Hayes

April 20, 2021 15:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

44 comments

Jay Luuu
07:17 Apr 21, 2021

I really liked this story! I didn't expect the ending. Really great job!

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
16:06 Apr 21, 2021

Hi Jay! I'm so glad that you liked this story. Thanks for the wonderful comments!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michael Boquet
18:04 Apr 21, 2021

You have such a knack for writing unique yet relatable characters. The section where your main character's "life flashes before her eyes" was very well done. I especially liked the use of onomatopoeia. Great description of heaven/the afterlife too. My favorite part was the alternate way the ticket guy could have asked for tickets. The humor and brevity help conceal what's about to happen nicely.

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
19:03 Apr 21, 2021

Thank you Michael, I really felt the emotion when I wrote this. I'm so glad that you liked it. As always thank you so much for the amazing comments :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Claudia Morgan
13:32 Apr 21, 2021

Vivid and heartbreaking. Love it! So well done!

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
15:58 Apr 21, 2021

Hi Ana, thank you so much for reading the story. I'm so glad you liked it :)

Reply

Claudia Morgan
16:06 Apr 21, 2021

No problem, you are a great writer!

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
16:08 Apr 21, 2021

Thank you once again. Your a great writer too, and I look forward to reading more of your stories :)

Reply

Claudia Morgan
16:43 Apr 21, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
KED KED
16:18 Apr 20, 2021

Daniel... This was sad and lovely and somehow peaceful? Very evocative for sure... Amazing job with the descriptors. You nailed the visuals and sensations! I love how much time you took to ensure that the reader could really feel how connected and devoted their family was.  What a strong unit. It makes the story that much more tragic in the end to know what was waiting for her after Cape Cod... I think my favorite part was your seamless transition from the ride, to the sequential dreams of her most cherished memories in life, to then...

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
16:37 Apr 20, 2021

Hi Kelly, I can't thank you enough for your amazing comments! This story was emotionally hard to write, even though the words flowed easy enough. I thought the dream sequences were a nice touch to allow the reader to see some of her best memories in life. Kind of like how life flashes before your eyes ;) I would have added more of those scenes, but I thought I had enough to show that she had those special experiences in life. As always, your comments just make my entire day, and I'm so glad that you took the time to read it! Thank ...

Reply

KED KED
16:50 Apr 20, 2021

Maybe it's a marker of a good story when the writer gets emotional too... ;) Great job, Daniel!

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
16:53 Apr 20, 2021

Thank you! <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
06:29 Jun 10, 2021

I'm looking back on the stories I have read of yours and I can believe I haven't commented because I remember telling you that this was my favorite. The emotion: beautiful The prose: sublime You literarily made me feel so teary-eyed. It's just so beautiful... Sincerely, Ruthy_May

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
15:23 Jun 10, 2021

Thanks again Ruthy, this was a story that I just had to write. I think its different from my other stories and it was very refreshing to write :)

Reply

19:30 Jun 10, 2021

Agreed :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
12:20 May 08, 2021

How you captured the emotions and the character in a flow was like.... literally life flashing before someone's eyes? Happy Today

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
16:27 May 08, 2021

Wow, you've been busy reading... :) Thank you so much for these comments!! This was one of those different stories I wanted to write. Your right, the life flashing before her eyes is what I wanted to capture with this one :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Angel {Readsy}
05:18 Apr 28, 2021

I am chirping , whistling a cheerful, clear, melodious and ebullient song for above MAGNIFICIENT Story

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
05:19 Apr 28, 2021

Thank you so much!! That melody fills my heart with joy, and sounds wonderful! :)

Reply

Angel {Readsy}
05:21 Apr 28, 2021

Then you better become a skylark and fly high (•̀ᴗ•́): ⋆。゚☁︎。⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。 o(〃^▽^〃)o ✺◟(∗*❛ัᴗ❛ั∗)◞✺

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
05:22 Apr 28, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Katherine Madsen
13:50 Apr 26, 2021

Hello! I really liked your story. You did a great job with writing your main character-- you can tell from the very start that she's a good mom, just judging by the way she worries about her family. The dream portion was well written, too. I was wondering why she was having such profound dreams, but I certainly didn't expect the ending! I liked that she passed peacefully, instead of scared. Overall, great job!

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
15:35 Apr 26, 2021

Hi Katherine! Thank you so much for the wonderful comments. This was a sad story to write, because I really felt the tragedy of the moment. I looked at her dream sequences like her life flashing before her eyes, and she died in her sleep while the train derailed. Thanks again, that really means a lot! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Angel {Readsy}
19:01 Apr 23, 2021

only thing I can see is a bright white light…the last line made an incredible impression that will never be forgotten, superb, simply the best, you are not a star but a galaxy, remarkable job

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
20:13 Apr 23, 2021

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments Bia! That means a lot :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristin Neubauer
15:23 Apr 23, 2021

Wow! I did not see the twist coming! You did a really great job with this story. I totally thought it was going one way when it veered off (literally) and went the other. I love a good twist - even a sad one. Also, fantastic writing and dialogue. I’m sorry it took me so long - I kept starting it and kept getting interrupted. Great work!

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
15:42 Apr 23, 2021

Thank you so much Kristin! I really appreciate your amazing comments. :) I noticed you wrote a new story! I'll be reading that soon ;) Thanks again!

Reply

Kristin Neubauer
15:56 Apr 23, 2021

Keep it up! Your writing and storytelling reaches a new level with each new piece!

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
16:18 Apr 23, 2021

Thanks again, that really means a lot! Writing isn't easy, and it takes a lot of practice and effort. Plus, throw in a busy lifestyle and it becomes that much harder. I'm sure everyone on Reedsy can relate to that ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
19:44 Apr 21, 2021

Absolutely heart breaking. Even though you could tell from the start where it was going, the way that you wrote it kept the reader captivated all the way through. Beautiful if tragic.

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
19:48 Apr 21, 2021

Hi Lizzy, thank you as always for your amazing comments! I really appreciate them :) I noticed you wrote another Highmast story. I'll be reading that later today ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zelda C. Thorne
11:34 Apr 21, 2021

Hi, I think you did a great job with this. Very moving. It brought tears to my eyes.

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
16:03 Apr 21, 2021

Hi Rachel, thank you so much for those wonderful comments. Honestly, it was hard for me to write because I felt the emotions of the tragedy. I'm so glad you liked it :)

Reply

Zelda C. Thorne
17:26 Apr 21, 2021

Can't tell at all that you found it hard. It flows really well 👍 I'll try to learn from your work if I attempt a sad story in the future.

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
19:06 Apr 21, 2021

Awww, thank you again! I appreciate that very much ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Francis Daisy
02:20 Apr 21, 2021

NOOOO!!! I loved it right up until the crash and burn...wwwwwhhhhhyyyy? I love a happy ending, but that's just me, sappy at heart. That being said, I did love your story! I loved the flashbacks.

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
02:41 Apr 21, 2021

Hi Amy! Thank you for reading my story, I'm glad you liked it. It wasn't easy to write about her dying because it was so tragic. I tried to give her a good personality to lighten the mood in the beginning because I knew it was going to end in a very sad way. Thanks again for your wonderful comments :)

Reply

Francis Daisy
17:23 Apr 21, 2021

I just realized that I should have known by your title what the ending would be...but they seemed like such a happy family, so many memories...at least she left her family with lots of smiles.

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
19:10 Apr 21, 2021

That's very true!! I sometimes have trouble coming up with titles for these stories. I wrote the whole thing without one, and then I looked at the last line and it just clicked, so I called it White Light. :) :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Arwen Dove
22:18 Apr 20, 2021

Beautiful story! Great job as always! :)

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
22:54 Apr 20, 2021

Thank you so much Arwen! That means a lot :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cookie Carla🍪
19:06 Apr 20, 2021

Heyo!! Can you read my story "Sign of a Haunt"? It was the first story last week that I threw out because I had HORRIBLE Writer's Block😭. I think it turned out pretty great and I'd love to get feedback😅

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
21:38 Apr 20, 2021

Hi there! Of course I'll read your story! I'll comment when I'm finished ;) Thank you for liking my story!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.