Second Chances

Submitted into Contest #54 in response to: Write a story about a TV show called "Second Chances."... view prompt

2 comments

General

[Opening Applause]

Hello, everyone! Welcome to Second Chances, the game show that never knows when to quit. As always, I'm your host Charon! 

[Audience Cheering]

Thank you, thank you! For those of you new to the program: why so late to the party?

[Audience Laughing]

Just kidding, of course. Now, in this game, contestants are taken through some of the biggest moments of their lives and given the option: if you could do it again, what would you do? Based on their responses, we will see the results of what could have been. At the end, we tally their good or bad decisions and use that data to decide what they really deserve. So, who’s ready for a second chance?!

[Audience Cheering]

Great! Then let’s bring out today’s contestant: Dennis Williams!

[Audience Applauding]

Hello there, Dennis! Are you ready for a second chance?

“You know it, Charon!”

Alright. Well, let’s start by giving the audience a little background on you. Dennis was 76 years old, born and raised in Toronto, worked as a mechanic for most of his life, a wife, two kids, one grandkid. A comfortable life, but, like all of us, he has some regrets. Don’t you, Dennis?

“Maybe just one or two… hundred.”

[Audience Laughing]

Ha, ha. Well, we don’t have that much time, but we’ll do a few. So, Dennis, let’s pull up your first memory and give you a second chance to do it. 

The year is 1961. He’s a couple years into his job at the auto shop. A dutiful worker, but our good friend Dennis is also a young fool in love.

[Audience Awing Sweetly] 

Yes, this lovely lady would eventually become the future Mrs. Williams. However, one faithful night, Dennis is offered the opportunity to spend one wild night of passion with a co-worker of his. The seductive and voluptuous Ms. Minnie Conner.

[Audience Booing]

Well, Dennis, it’s obvious what the audience thinks, but this is your second chance. The first time, you turned down her offer and went home to your girlfriend. What will you do this time?

“Umm… well… I love my wife, always have, but…”

But?

“God, I can’t even count how many times I imagined what I could’ve done with Minnie.”

Well, Dennis, you only have one more chance. Do you sleep with Minnie, or go home to your girl?

“Umm… I… Ugh, no. I still can’t do it. I’m going home to the wife.”

[Audience Cheering]

Well, the crowd seems pleased, but we’ll see how that tallies up for you in the end. Next, the year is 1968. Our Dennis has been happily married for three years and, even better, they have just decided to pack up and move to America.

[Audience Whooping]

The problem? Shortly after this decision, our young couple realizes they are pregnant.

[Audience Oooing]

They have two choices: if they keep the child, they won’t have the funds or support they need to move countries. If they terminate… well, we’ll see if that happens! Dennis, you and your wife kept the baby and stayed in Canada. What will you do this time?

“Hey, wait. Do I really need to do this one?”

Sorry, Dennis. This is what you signed up for. Your answer?

“Come on… that’s-that’s not fair. I love my daughter. I won’t deny Charlotte and I had plans but…”

The clock is ticking and we still have one more life event to get through. Your final decision?

“I-Well, I-... What-... What would have happened if we didn’t have her?”

[Audience Booing]

Well, Dennis, you and your wife terminated the pregnancy. Six months later, you make it to a small town in Michigan, USA. However, things aren’t as simple as you thought. Your wife has trouble finding work. You don’t mind picking up the slack, but she hates it. She has no job to occupy her, no friends there, her family is far away, and you’re gone all day working. She starts to regret the move and, even worse, the decision to terminate the pregnancy. She has nothing, no one, she’s miserable, and she gave up her baby for it all. The resentment builds. By the end of that year, she’s already left you to go back to Canada. The divorce is finalized that next year.

[Audience Awing Sadly and Booing]

“She-she would have left me?”

Sorry, Dennis, no time to dwell. We’re down to the final crossroad in your life. Boy, is it a big one! The year is 2015!

“Wait! Is this-”

That’s right! The year your wife died.

[Audience Awing Sadly]

“Now, wait-”

Stage four, terminal breast cancer. Doctors told you there was no hope of recovery. Chemo might give her a few months at best, but God, did you want those precious months. She didn't want the treatment. You gave in to what she wanted and rejected the Chemo, but Dennis, what would you do now?

“Stop! I don’t want to relive that! Doing it once was hard enough.”

Dennis, we need a decision. Do you keep her off Chemo or convince her to do it to extend your time together?

“I-I-... I wanted her to live. I wanted every last second I could spend with her, but it’s not what she wanted. She wanted to spend her last few days peacefully. Not sick from drugs, not an invalid trapped in her bed. That’s what she wanted. It was never my decision. She stays off the Chemo, just like she wanted.”

[Audience Clapping and Cheering]

Alright, Dennis. That’s the end of your second chances. The Higher Powers have been calculating your karma during this entire game. Now, it’s time to see the second chance you deserve.

[Suspenseful Music]

Dennis Williams, through our divine powers we have determined your fate. You… 

[Silence]

Will be reincarnated as a duck!

[Audience Awing Sadly]

“Again?!”

Oof. Tough luck, Dennis. Karma’s not linear. Seems you still have a ways to go before reaching Nirvana. Better luck next time! 

[Audience Clapping]

Alright, folks! That’s all the time we have for today. Once again, I’m your host Charon. If you didn’t have the opportunity to see the show today, don’t worry. You’ll have a second chance.

[Audience Laughing]

August 13, 2020 17:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Crystal Lewis
14:40 Aug 17, 2020

Creative as always!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Corey Melin
02:17 Aug 14, 2020

Very entertaining read. Maybe living life as a duck might be better or turn out to be food for a predator.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.