1 comment

General

STILL ALIVE SERIAL TWO.

The scene is the burning enemy tanks along with a burning Cessna Aircraft.

The ambulances are running around and picking up the injured pilot and the injured General.

The helmet is removed on the injured pilot with name written on it with red paint “JON”

The ambulance takes away the injured.

The next scene.

There is a prisoner's exchange ceremony going on the border.

The name of the prisoner is announced.

“Captain Jon”.  

A limping pilot dressed in a torn pilot coverall walks out of the prison van.

The crowd is jumping with joy, clapping and cheering the Captain.

Captain was announced dear after the war.

Yes, but he survived the war wounds on the enemy side.

Some enemy General looked after him for more than two years due to his previous background.

“OH, Lucky Captain.”

 Says a young officer sitting in front seats.

An old man walks ahead o from the chairs and Hugs Captain Jon. Who is this guy asks the Captain sitting in the front chairs.

He ys the grandfather of Captain Jon.

The crowd is hailing the scene and are throwing their caps in the air.

Someone announces from the speaker,

Captain Jon has been released by the enemy against ten war prisoners. 

Again loud clapping continues from the crowd. 

A long line of cars approaches the dice and Capt. along with his grand paa is taken away.

The scene fades away on the cheering crowd.

NEXT SCENE, ‘

Smaila is visiting Toms flight office, where another Captain is sitting in a tent office.

Where is Tom. She askes the officer.

Look up, he is air testing an aircraft.

She looks up and finds a Cessna aircraft doing lots of manures on top at around five thousand feet of height.

Aircraft is in very unusual modes. It is roiling, making loops and then spinning down to the ground.

“Is he not too low”,

Smalia asks the officer.

Yes, he should have recovered at 1000 feet, but he is still spinning.

Waoo , she jumps up saying,

He is in danger of hitting the ground,

You are right, he is. Let us pray for his safety.

Finally, he has just managed to recover in few feet from the ground,

Even the grass has risen from the ground, his wheels sure hit the grass, which is just two feet high.

He just turned in and landed on the strip from the same height.

His aircraft is running towards the ATC building.

The officer is running towards the coming in aircraft, as if he will stop it on his chest.

The last minute aircraft screeches its breaks and makes a sharp right turn. Its right wing just misses hitting the building, but yts tail hits the building. The tail horn of its elevator hits the building thus torn away from the aircraft.

The pilot comes out of the aircraft unharmed. The engineers chage the elevator in few minutes only.

Capt Jon, why did you not recover in time. Do you know that your aircraft has a limitation on number of spins it may have. You may have only three spins before the aircraft gets into a flat spin. It starts spinning like a toy and may never recover as it is no more flying, it is just falling to the ground like a spinning stone.  

Oh, that is why it was not recovering inspire of tries I made. It was just sheer luck that I put the flaps down so it may obey me and recover. Lucky it did recover just two feet before hitting the ground.

But why did you not stop the aircraft before hitting the building, asked the Captain.

Oh my God, when I touched the ground, my head started spinning as if I was still in the spin.

It was over many minutes that u came to my censes and applied the brakes seconds before hitting into the building and killing all of you along with. And you know there was bird which hit my prop when I was touching the ground.

Oh I think it was sacrificed in your place by the angles which decided to let you live more.

All leave while SMAILA is crying due to the great shock of the whole event.

Next scene. .

The girls are singing love songs and are dancing.

Tom is getting married.

The house is full of guests.

Toms is approaching Smailas house in a line of cars.

The marriage ceremony is a great charm for the hone and friends,

A big feast is served and finally the bride is handed over to Tom by  Mr. Alex, Smailas father.

The scene ends while couple flies away is a small helicopter for their honeymoon trip to the mountains.

Next Scene.

The ladies club.

The ladies are gossiping around while one pretty lady enters and tell Mrs Jon.

Look Mrs Jon, you car is running around in the whole town, without a driver. People are saying, it is night rider without a driver. Please find out what is going on.

The door opens again and Mrs. Jons younger son enters the room rotating his key chain.

Here mom take your keys.

But were you driving out there?

She asked surprisingly.

Mo mom I was only checking the brakes of the car at high speed. It is very good. It stops in few yards only.

You silly boy, where and how could you drive, you are not even six years yet. You cant reach the brakes and the staring while standing in the car.

Ok let your father come back today. I will get you basking so don’t act like that again.

The scene ends while Mrs. Jon drags her son out of the club door.

THE NEXT SCENE.

CAPTAIN IFTIKHAR IS FLYING IN PAF ACADEMY DOING A FLIGHT INSTRUCTORS COURSE. A DISCUTION GOING ON THE PRINCIPLES OF FLIGHT.

NEXT SCENE.

Jon is having breakfast with his family in his flying coverall.  IS IN HIS

“Jon, Please don’t fly today.

His Mrs. Asks him.

What, I am paid for flying, why you say that?

Jon replies.

I saw a dream tonight that you helicopter meets a crash, though you survive, but it was a big accident.

Lo0k Simaila, I I am the fight commander, I have to fly twelve students

 today.

It is their final test before thay become pilots, I cant ignore the duty for your dream.

Jon leaves for his office .

The scene ends while Jon goes away in his jeep.

Next Scene.

Jon is briefing the students on a blackboard.

Looks boys. You are twelve of you. I can not fly you twelve hours in a day.

So I have selected one exercise only. Ten minutes each for you. I will know your capabilities in just one landing.

Running takeoff and landing in the most demanding flight. It will reveal what all you have learnt in your whole three months conversion course.

You know the helicopter can take up to 1000 kg extra weight with running takeoff and same for the landing.

We will fly n the fixed wing circuit and only one takeoff and landinh will be your final test. Ok, so any question.

If non, Capt. Peji will fly first and then we will keep changing after every landing.

“Ok let us go”.

All leave for the flight line.

Next Scene.

Mi-8 helicopter is ready for take off. Capt. Jon makes a call to the Air Traffic Controller.

“Tiger 35 is requests for a running take off and landing permission”.

AYC replies.

“Sir the fixed wing is starting up. You may make one circuit and leav for local flying area as fixed wing aircraft are starting up”.

“Roger” says Jon.

“Ok Peji. You have the controls. Line up in on the intersection 14 and take off”.

“Ok Sir, I have the controls”.

He lines up the helicopter on the centre line and calls,

“rolling sir”.

‘Ok good’. Says Jon.

The flight engineer , a colonel shouting on Radio intercom.

“Speed twenty”,

“Speed thirty”,

“Sped forty”,

“Speed fifty”,

“Speed sixty”.

“Ok Pegi, roil back and let it go”.

“Yes sir”

 says Peji.

The aircraft gets airborne.

“Ok good says Jon”.

“Turn left and join left circuit height five hundred”.

“Yes sir’,

Says Paji and turn the helicopter while claiming.

Abeam touch down point, reducing power and starting descend.

“On finals you must be 300 feet before starting your decent”. Says JON.

“Sure sir”

 says Paji.

On finals sir, height 100 meter. Starting descent”.

Says Paji.

Good so far, says Jon.

Big BANG heard and HILICOPTER MAKES A SUDEN DECENT.

ROTOR RPM STOPS FOR A WHILE AND SINGLE BLADES ARE SEEN MOVING VERY SLOWLY.

Capt JON. Shouts.

“I HAVE THE CONTROLLS”.

CAPT PEJI REPEATS,

“YOU HAVE THE CONTROLLS SIR”.

And sits back.

The helicopter is going down vert fast, as if needs to meet the mother earth in seconds.

Capt. Jon is fighting witHj the collective control lever,

COME ON, COME ON,

As if helicopter was listening to him.

“ONLY 20 SECONDS” JON IS TALKING TO HIMSELF.

The flight engineer shouts,

“ROTOR RPM 60 PERCENT. HEIGHT SIXTY METER”,

“ROTOR RPM 70 PERCENT HEIGHT 50 METER”.

“ROTOR RPM 70 PERCENT HEIGHT 40 METER”,

“ROTOR RPM 80 PERCENT GEIGHT 30 METER”,

“ROTOR RPM 90 PERCENT HEIGHT 20 METER”.

JONE SHOUTS BACK”

FLARING NOW.

THE HELICOPTER NOSE RISES ABOVE THE HORISEN AND HELICOPTER OBAYS THE PILOT JUST BEFORE HITTING THE GROUND.

HELICOPTER COMES UNDER CONTROL JUST TWO SECONDS BEFORE HITTING THE GROUND AND KILLING EVERY ONE.

THE STUDENT PILOT SPEAKES WITH A VERY LOW SCARY TONE,

“SIR I SAW WHEELS FLYING IN FRONT F MY NOSE”.

“WHAT”,

SHOUTS JON.

‘SIR WHEELS FLEW INFRONT OF THE HELICOPTER NOSE JUST FOLLOWING THE BIG BANG’.

JON HOVERING AT THREE METERS THINKING LOUD.

‘WHEELS, WHEELS. HOW AND WHY”.

“DOES IT MEAN MY RIGHT WHEEL BROKE AWAY?.

MAY BE. some sections on my blades broke away and hit my right wheel.

Major Jon is thinking loud.  

“OK I WILL TRY TO TOUCH THE RIGHT WHEEL FIRST, IF IT IS THERE. OR I WILL PICK UP THE HEL AGAIN”.

JON FEELS THE GROUND SLOWLY, EXPECTING THE HELICOPTER TO LOWER ITSELF TO THE RIGHT TILT.

‘VERY DANGERIOUS, THE ROTOR MAY HIT THE GROUND AND KILL US ALL IN A SECOND’’.

ANY WAY JON GOES DOWN. CALLING GOD FOR HELP.

THE RIGHT WHEEL TOUCHES THE GROUND.

JON NOW MORE CONFIDENT PUTS THE LEFT WHEEL DOWN FOLLOWED BY THE FRONT WHEELS.

THE HELICOPTER IS ON GROUND WITH OUT ANYTHING UN USUAL.

JON LOOKS AT THE FLIGHT ENGINEER SITTING IN THE CENTER.

“SIR, PLEASE GP OUT AND CHECK”.

FLIGHT ENGINEER OPENS HIS BELT AND MOVES OUT.

HE DOES AROUND THE HELICOPTER AND STANDS IN FRONT OF JON ON HIS LEFT WINDOW SIDE AND PICKS UP HIS RIGHT THUMB, MEANING ALL IS WELL.

JON LOOKING CONFUSED FOR ALL OK SIGNAL.

In the meanwhile, an aircraft is seen moving along the runway just about to touch down. Its right wheel is missing, its front wheel is also missing and its elevator is dangling behind and its right wing is torn and fuel is gushing out and splashing on the runway.

“Oh my God. So, this was the thing which hit me in my head and got chopped off by my rotors and was spun away to the rear to fly away”.

“But now its 100-octane fuel is splashing on the runway. The moments its belly touches the runway, the aircraft will explode thus killing the pilots”.

A loud thinking by JON.

Jon is holding his head with both hands, expecting a bang any moment.

Oh what a luck, the aircraft swings away from the runway, thus going into thick grass along the strips parallel to the runway.

The moment aircraft comes to a halt. The pilots jump out off and run away from the aircraft less it explodes.

Next scene,

There is court of inquiry to find out the reasons for accident.

The court says,

Major JON. IS TO BE BLAMED FOR NOT SEEINHG THE AIRCRAFT WHICH HIT HIM ON THE TOP.

MAJOR JON. IS NOT PROMOTED AND HE RESIGNS HIS COMMISSION.

THE LAST SCENE.

MAJOR JON IS FISHING ON THE WATER DAM ALONG WITH HIS THREE CHILDREN.

LIFE IS DOING GREAT THERE ON TOO.

THE SCENE ENDS WITH JON CATCHING A BIG FISH AND HIS CHILDREN AND WIFE CLAPPING WITH JOY.

July 10, 2020 04:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Sarah A
22:07 Jul 15, 2020

Good story. The details about the flights and near accidents were extremely impressively detailed, and I thought it was cute that the six year old was already driving, perhaps taking after his father. I think the ending could be flushed out a little more. There’s no indication that he hates his job, but after an accident like that and having to resign his commission, it’s likely his immediate reaction will be “Life is great”. Also you don’t have to capitalize everything. Some of that can be italicized or put in quotes to say who’s s...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.