1 comment

Crime Fiction Thriller

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

It was a cool March morning, though the warmest it had been in recent months. Signs of spring’s arrival littered the trees above the porch behind the large home. There, at the white cast iron furniture set, sat Theo Hartman. The short round man sipped his coffee while he paged through a Nora Roberts novel. He thought he may have read this one before but wasn’t sure so he continued. The sunlight that peered over the top of his home and onto the pages disappeared behind the outline of someone's head.

“Good morning,” he said without looking.

“‘Morning, sir.”

Theo set his book face down on the table to save his spot, though at this point he was sure he had read it before. He turned toward the young woman who was holding a plate of eggs and bacon, along with the house phone.

“Here’s your breakfast.” She grabbed his now empty coffee cup and asked if he wanted more.

“No thanks,” he said with a mouth full of eggs.

“I’ll bring you some water, then. Also, there’s a phone call for you. I told him you don’t take calls before noon, but he says it’s urgent.”

“Nothing’s that urgent,” he said with a smile.

“Of course, sir. Anything else I can do for you?”

“I’m all set, for now, dear.”

She made her way toward the back door which leads from the porch to the dining room. “Mr. Matheson, I’m sorry but you’ll have to call back later.” She stopped at the door, listening to the man plead on the other end of the phone. “Again, my apologies, but Mr. Hartman will call you back lat…” The young woman was startled at the reflection of Theo in the window of the back door. She turned to see her wide-eyed boss staring at her intently. He looked almost boyish with his eyebrows raised and a concerned frown. 

“Who did you say that was?”

“Matheson is the man’s name,” she said, trying her best not to look confused. Theo looked at her for a while, though it looked as though he was staring through rather than at her. She was on the verge of saying something to break the silence when Theo’s pursed lips broke into a smile. “Thank you, my dear. I’ll take this one out on the porch.”

“Yes, sir.” She handed him the phone and walked inside where she cleaned the reminisce of breakfast. She took her time to make sure she had nosey a view of her boss outside. After a few minutes, she watched him end the call and run his fingers through his grey slicked-back hair. 

“Gina, can you please bring me that water?”

Gina filled a glass, added some ice, and threw in a lemon slice before making her way back out to the porch. 

He was staring at the phone which lay on the table in front of him. She stood holding the glass, though he didn’t seem to notice her. Gina put the glass down in front of him. “Here you go, sir.” Theo jumped as if he had forgotten she was there. 

“Oh, thank you,” he said as he took a sip of the water. Water nearly spilled as his shaky hands put the glass back on the table. “Gina, I’d like you to take the day off today. Go ahead and head home and enjoy a long weekend.”

“Sir, it’s only ten o’clock. I haven’t given you your meds yet or prepared anything for lunch.”

“I am more than capable of doing all that myself for one day.”

“Okay, well you have my number if you need anything.”

“Won’t be necessary but thank you.”

Theo watched as Gina gathered her belongings, though he pretends to stare out into the yard when she looked over at him.

“See you Monday,” she yelled as she got into her car.

“Bye now.”

As she pulled away, Theo smiled and waved. When her car was out of sight, his hand fell, and his smile with it. He grabbed his cane, which was hanging from the table, and made his way across his yard, digging through his pockets as he did. In the back corner of the lawn sat an old shed with ivy crawling up the outside. He pulled a clump of keys out of his pocket (which looked to be testing the strength of an old keyring) and unlocked the rusty lock hanging from the door’s latch. Inside sat out-of-date tools along with old bags of mulch piled up against the back wall. After carefully lowering himself to the wooden floor, he tossed his cane aside and pounded his fists on the various boards. After hitting several solid-feeling planks, he smacked one that jumped from its pocket. He pulled it up revealing a duffle bag covered in dust and wood shavings. Inside, sat some cash, a pistol, and a composition notebook. He closed the bag, replaced the board, and left the shed door ajar.

Sitting in the driver’s seat in his driveway, he opened the encrypted call app on his phone, punched in his passcode, and called one of the two contact numbers saved. His phone automatically connected to his car speakers.

“Theo, you safe?” said Matheson.

“So far, yes. I’ve got my bag and am about to head to the house. How long ‘til you’re there?”

“Probably three hours. Maybe less. You?”

“Four hours tops.”

“Okay, I’ll get the place opened and ready when I get there. How long do you think we need to stay?”

“Too early to say. We don’t even know if Frank knows anything about us.” Theo knew this was a lie but thought it better to keep Matheson calm. “When did he get out anyway? Thought it was a life sentence.”

“With the chance of parole after forty years,” Matheson reminded him.

“Jesus. It’s been that long already hasn’t it.”

“It’ll be good to see you again, Theo.”

“Be safe.”

Theo ended the call and started his navigation system. “Time to Arrival: 3h 39m. ETA: 2:07 pm.” He put his car into gear and drive off wondering if he’d ever see his home again. His eyes flipped between the road and his phone. He eventually navigated back to the encryption app and called the other number.

“Hey, dad,” said a sweet voice.

“Hi, sweetheart. How ya doing? How’s school?”

“Same old same old. Happy it’s Friday. How are things at home?”

“Just fine,” he lied. The call went silent for a few seconds.

“You still there?” she asked.

“Yeah, I’m here. Listen I just wanted to say…” He paused to stifle the tears trying to well up in his eyes. “I just wanted to say I’m proud of you and how much I love you.”

“Uh, I love you too dad.” The girl was genuine with a touch of confusion. Theo bit his bottom lip in the hopes his microphone wouldn’t pick up any hint at his crying.

“You sure everything’s okay up there?” she asked. Theo took a big breath and was able to pause his emotions.

“Yep, all good.” He hoped it didn’t sound overly enthusiastic. “I gotta get going, but I’ll talk to you soon.”

“Oh, sounds good,” she said. “Bye-bye.”

“Bye, Eila.” The phone call ended and with it, his tears started, and he did nothing to hold them back. It wasn’t set in stone that he wouldn’t see her again, but likely.

A couple of hours passed, and he decided it was time to stop and get something to eat. He pulled through a drive-thru and got something his doctor would likely scoff at. Oh well, he could be dead within a month. Might as well eat something other than the kale salads Gina has been making for him. He sat in the parking lot of the fast-food joint and enjoyed a greasy burger. The type he hadn’t had in years. He was finishing the last bit of soda when his car notified him a call was coming through. He didn’t recognize the number, so he disconnected his phone from his vehicle before answering it.

“By now I’m sure you’ve heard,” said a gravelly voice.

“I have.”

“Beautiful home you have. Wow, she’s grown up so fast. I’m sure she’s heard everything about me by now.”

Theo is sure Frank is in his office, looking at the pictures on his desk. “You mother fucker.” Theo’s voice shook with rage.

“No? Well, I look forward to the introductions.” His voice was of condescending enthusiasm. “I can tell her all about our days in the military, the time we all drove across the county packed into an old jeep. Oh, and especially how you and Matheson stabbed me in the back and took millions out of my pocket.” Frank had let his anger briefly break through his calm tone.

Theo didn’t reply just sat with the greasy burger wrapper still on his lap.

“We can chat about that later though. Good to hear your voice again, Theo. And don’t forget to save my number.”

Theo’s hand shook as he put his phone down and when he gathered the garbage from his meal. He had no idea what Frank was talking about. Matheson and Theo had decided ages ago to cut Frank out of the business. When they told him, he vowed to kill the two of them if it were the last thing he did. He did them a favor by killing a kid in a drunk driving accident that night. That put him behind bars for what they hoped would be forever. Theo pulled out of his parking spot and back onto the highway where he ran over everything that had just happened. Theos got a good two-hour head start on him but to where? Theo knows, but is it possible Frank knows as well? He doesn’t think so. Frank’s been in prison for forty years, but this doesn’t make him any less nervous. Frank is smart. Crazy, but smart. He now wished he would have chosen kale. 

Another hour passes and Theo’s driving down a dirt path in the woods. He remembers driving around with Matheson for weeks looking for potential safe houses. It was during their drug-running days. They were all paranoid that their business would catch up to them someday. When they found this place, it was another week of getting it ready, then hoping to never need it. Yet here he was driving down the familiar path forty years later going into hiding. After a few minutes on the path, the cottage comes into view. The lights are on and there’s a car parked to the right of the building. Theo doesn’t know what kind of car Matheson drives these days, so he pulls the gun from his duffle bag. He parks and peeks through a side window, seeing nobody inside, but also no sign of danger. After walking around the property as quietly as he can, he opens the front door, whose squeak announces his arrival. The tip of his pistol leads the way through the living room. He peers behind the kitchen counter and an old couch. Nothing. He makes his way forward toward the bedrooms where the lights are still off. He approaches the first bedroom, spinning into it as fast as his seventy-five-year-old body will let him. Empty. He takes a few more steps to the other bedroom on the opposite side of the hall. He does the same speedy jump into the room, pistol at the ready. Before he knows it, he’s staring down the barrel of a Ruger 8605.

“You crazy old man,” said Matheson. “‘Bout gave me my second heart attack.”

Theo pushed his gun aside and smiled. “Good to see you, old boy.” The two friends hugged. Had all gone to plan, they would have never seen each other again. Despite the circumstances, they had a minute of happiness. It quickly dissipated when they realized they needed to discuss their current issue at hand.

“How sure are you that you weren’t followed?” asked Matheson.

“By Frank? 100%. He called me on my way here. He was at my house, but I had left nearly two hours prior.”

“Okay good. Anything there that could have hinted at where we are?”

“No. All the details about this place are in my to-go bag. Nowhere else.”

“Same.” 

After going over this together, the two slowly started to feel better about their safety.

“Have you been to the basement to check on the food?” asked Theo.

“Not yet. Got here not much before you did, but everything else looks untouched so I assume it’s the same down there.”

“Gotcha. Well, what now?”

“Now, we hunker down. Stay silent. We’ve got a few months of food stocked away. Not particularly tasty food, but we’ll survive.”

Theo again thought of the kale he’d been scarfing down the past few months.

“How did you find out about the release?”

“One of my contacts from the prison reached out and let me know about his case review a few months ago. I didn’t think much of it, to be honest, but when he called today and said he’d be released, I told you right away.”

“I appreciate it. Probably saved my life.”

“That’s what partners are for. Now let’s get unpacked.”

The two went to their separate rooms and organized their things. Theo filled his drawers with clothes and hung a few in the closet behind a sliding mirror. Nearly two hours had passed when Matheson’s voice woke him from a brief nap.

“Hey Theo, you hungry? I’m gonna head to the basement and grab something for dinner.”

“Yeah, grab me some of whatever you’re having.”

“Sure thing.”

Theo was emptying the money from his bag into the safe in the closet when he heard the front door open. That unforgettable squeal echoed through the house.

“That you, Matheson?” Nothing. “Matheson!” Theo’s hand was already tightly gripping his gun which had been sitting on his bedside table. He made his way to the door, opened it, and peered down the hall into the living room. Seated in the old recliner facing away from Theo was the unforgettable short stringy hair of Frank Garith, though much grayer than he remembered.

“Come on out buddy,” said that gravelly voice.

“What’s stopping me from blowing your head off right now?” asked Theo.

“But we’re old friends! You don’t want to hurt me any more than I want to hurt her.” He spun the chair around and seated on his lap was Theo’s daughter, face soaked with tears, mouth bound shut.

“YOU MOTHER FU…”

“Ah ah ah,” he said calmly as he pressed the barrel of his gun against her temple. “Why don’t we put that down?” Begrudgingly, he slid the pistol down the hall, stopping at his daughter’s feet.

“How’d you find us?” Though as the question crossed his lips, he thinks he knew the answer. Matheson stepped out from around the corner, also holding a gun.

“Sorry, buddy.”

“Why?” asked Theo.

“Knew he’d get out eventually. Decided to get on his good side before he looked for me too.”

“Well, no shit. I mean why make me drive three hours to our safe house when you could have just attacked me at home?”

“Knew you wouldn’t tell us where your cash is stored without her.” Matheson gestured to his daughter who looked remarkably calm now. A quick look at her legs told Theo why.

“Found out where she was when I went through your office,” said Frank. “Plus, you led me straight to the perfect place to hide a couple of bodies and lay low for a while.”

Theo knew he needed to waste some more time. Keep them talking. “She really is my daughter,” he thought.

“So, where’s the cash big guy? Make it easy and she’ll walk free. Eventually,” said Frank.

“Hmmm let me think. Cash… cash… cash… where could that be?” Theo felt confident with pushing their temper a little bit because Eila looked ready to go. Matheson’s face was red, and a vein appeared on his forehead. He dropped his hand holding the Ruger and turned toward Frank.

“I told you this was a stupid idea. We should have…”

“Now!” yelled Theo. Eila flung her foot forward tossing his gun through the air which she had balanced on her foot while everyone else talked. At the same time, she threw her head back, likely breaking Frank’s nose. Before Matheson could react, Theo caught the gun and fired a single shot through his head. His body hadn’t even hit the ground before Eila wrestled the gun from Frank who now had blood flowing down his face. Theo and his daughter stood over Frank, both pointing their guns.

“Now I typically don’t like killing someone who is unarmed. Think it’s rude,” said Theo. “But you threatened my daughter so I think I can make an exception. If I ever feel guilty, I’ll say it was for the boy whose head you put a tire through.”

It was around four hours later that the two of them had finished burying the bodies. The adrenaline helped with digging the holes, though Eila had to do most of the filling. They cleaned up the inside of the cabin and decided to stay for dinner.

“Did he hurt you at all?” asked Theo.

“No, I was waiting for someone to stop by for me.”

Theo was confused. “How’d you know?”

“You called from the encrypted number,” she said with a smile. “Nobody uses that to say I love you.”

“You never stop surprising me,” he said.

“You’re surprised? I just found out my dad was a gangster back in the day. So badass.”

He had never been the ‘cool dad’ before. This made him smile. “How about we do something more relaxing next Friday.”

“Deal.”

October 29, 2022 00:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

08:25 Nov 03, 2022

I laugh when I think about how people come up with these ideas. Great plot. Kind of like 'Daddy saves the day' idea. Sweet but scary. Awesome story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.