0 comments

LGBTQ+ Fiction Contemporary

David staggered to a standstill under the weight of his bags and looked up at the brownstone apartment building. Panting and soaked with sweat he let everything fall to the ground before collapsing on the steps. Leaning against one of his suitcases he closed his eyes and tried to regain his strength.

“Please god, let this be the right one, “ he whispered, fanning himself with a hand.

“Well, that depends. What are you looking for?” a guy’s voice said behind him

With a start, David looked over his shoulder. A young man with stylish black hair and equally stylish clothes was watching him, an amused but friendly smile on his face. Embarrassed, David looked around at his scattered bags blocking the walkway and scrambled to gather them, nearly tumbling down the stairs in his haste. Only the quick reflexes of the stranger grabbing his arm saved him.

“Thanks,” David said, regaining his balance.. “Sorry, it’s been a tough morning. I got off at the wrong bus stop and I’ve been walking street after street, looking for my building.”

“What’s the address?”

“East 15th street. Apartment 303.”

The guy gave him a winning smile. “Look no further, you found your winner.”

David would have cheered if he had the energy. As he bent to gather his bags the guy grabbed three of them, leaving him the two small ones.

“Elevator’s broken so we’ll have to take the stairs. You don’t mind if I help, do you?”

“Are you kidding, you’d be my hero.”

“Good. I’m Jason but you can call me Hero if you want.”

David laughed. “I’m David. Lead the way, hero.”

Shouldering his duffle bags, David followed Jason into the building and up three flights of stairs. By the time they reached the third floor both he and Jason were almost walking on their knees.

“I can’t thank you enough for this,” David said as they found his unit. “I would have died by the second floor.”

“Don’t mention it, glad to help,” Jason weezed, wiping the sweat from his brow.

Unlocking the door he opened it wide, flipped on the light and looked around at his new home. A comfortable looking beige couch and a big screen TV took center stage of a rather spacious but empty room.

‘It’s only for a year,’ he thought, fighting down a wave of homesickness. ‘After I graduate I can go back home.’

“Heavy bags not getting any lighter,” Jason said behind him.

“Sorry,” he walked over to the couch and dropped his bags. “You can put them anywhere.”

“Nice place,” Jason said, setting the bags by the door. “It’s bigger than mine and a lot cleaner.”

“Do you live in the building?”

“Yeah. First floor, room 104.” 

David gestured to the couch. “If you want to rest and recover here for a while you can.”

“Thanks but I’m sweating like a horse and smell like one two,” Jason said, fanning his shirt. “Mind if I was up a bit?”

“Bathroom’s down the hall. I don’t have any towels but help yourself to the water.”

Jason smiled and made for the bathroom. David unzipped one of his bags which was full of family pictures and pulled out a simple black 4x6 frame that held last year’s family vacation picture. He looked at it fondly for a minute before getting to work unpacking the rest and scattering them around the room.

“Wow, you sure do like pictures.”

With a start David turned and felt a flush of heat well up inside him at the sight of Jason standing topless in the hallway, his wet shirt clenched in his fist. Jason smiled and raised an eyebrow. “Like what you see?”

David’s hot flash threatened to burn the skin right off his face. “I wasn’t...I mean I’m not-”

“Take it easy. I’m just messing with you,” Jason said, walking over to one of the pictures. “Are all these of your family?”

“Yes,” David said, relieved for the change of subject. “I know it’s weird to pack so many but this is the first time I’ve been away from them for so long.”

“I think it’s nice you have such a close, loving relationship with your family,” he picked up a picture and looked at him. “You took after your mother.”

“Are you saying I look like a woman?”

“No, you have delicate features. Like a model.”

David laughed. “A model? Well, it’s nice to know I have something to fall back on if my journalism career doesn't pan out.”

“You’re a journalist?”

“Yes, well, actually I’m an intern but it still counts,” David unzipped another bag, revealing his book and DVD collection. “I start next week so wish me luck.”

“I’ll do better than that,” Jason returned the picture to it’s resting spot. “You must be hungry from all this traveling and mountain climbing. How about we go get something to eat, my treat? There’s a cafe not far from here that makes great club sandwiches and french fries.”

At the mention of food David’s stomach tightened with hunger. “Sounds great. I just need to wash up real quick.”

“No problem. I’ve got to freshen up also,” Jason strode to the door. “Fifteen minutes. We can meet in the lobby.”

David nodded and attacked his bags, searching for a clean outfit and his toiletries. Once found he went to the bathroom and gave himself a quick sponge bath. When he was satisfied he wasn't toxic anymore he dressed and retrieved his phone to call his mom. As expected, she answered after the first ring. 

“It’s about time you called, David. I was a nervous wreck all morning.”

“Sorry mom. I slept through most of the trip down and then I got lost trying to find the apartment. Everything’s good now though.”

“How’s the apartment? Does it match the ad?”

“Yeah,” David ran a hand through his wet hair, trying to shake it dry. “Fully furnished.”

“I can’t believe you’re going to be gone a whole year. I hope this internship is worth it.”

“It’s my only option at the moment. If I do well here maybe I’ll find work closer to home. Or maybe I’ll make enough money so you and dad can retire and move down here with me.” 

“Maybe when we come down to visit you for the holidays you and I can work on convincing your father to retire. I doubt it will do any good but we can try.”

David checked his watch. “Sounds good mom. I have to go get something to eat now before I die of hunger but I’ll call you later. Okay?”

“You better. Take care and stay safe. Love you.”

“Love you too.”

Pocketing his phone David checked himself in the bathroom mirror before exiting the apartment. He was locking the door when the distinctive ding of an elevator bell caught his attention. Following the sound down the hall he stopped dead in his tracks, mouth open, and stared in disbelief at a perfectly working elevator.

‘Why would he lie about this?’ he thought, entering the elevator and pushing the lobby button. ‘Was it just an excuse to see where I live?’

Jason was waiting for him in the lobby, looking clean and refreshed with a sheepish grin on his face.

“It must have been fixed while we were upstairs..”

“Mmm hmm,” David followed him outside. “If you wanted to help me with my bags you could have just asked. We didn’t have to almost pop a lung using the stairs.”

Jason shrugged. “I wanted to get to know you and coming to your rescue seemed like the best way to do it.”

“Is that what you do? Go around saving random strangers?”

Jason turned and gave him a wink. “Only the handsome ones.”

David's eyes widened. “Handsome?”

Jason’s easy smile wilted a bit. “Sorry. I didn’t mean to offend you.”

Heat blossomed in David’s cheeks and he focused his attention forward. “I’m not offended, just surprised. I’ve never been called handsome by a guy before.”

“Guess I’m your first. Are you ok with me crushing on you a little?”

“Yeah. I mean, bromance is a thing and you’re a good looking guy so it’s fine.”

Jason’s smile returned. “You think I’m good looking?”

“Are you trying to embarrass me to the point I burst into flames? If so, you're doing a really good job.”

“I’m not trying to do anything except tell you how I feel and get to know you better. The fact you’re turning red as a tomato is just a bonus.”

David let out a long sigh. “Fine. Yes, I think you’re hot and no, I don’t have a problem with you having a crush on me. Anything else?”

“Well now that you put me on the spot I’m at a loss for words,” Jason said as they stopped at a crosswalk. “I normally don’t give my dates the third degree until we’ve gone out a couple of times. You know, sort of ease into it over drinks.”

“So this is a date?”

“Do you want it to be?”

David paused, the question opening a world of possibilities. For 23 years he hid his sexuality from both his parents and from himself out of fear. Now that he was far away from his old life, away from all who knew him, perhaps he could finally be himself.

Turning to Jason he gave him a genuine smile. “Yes, as long as we can take things slow.”

“Slow is good. We can go slow if it means I get to spend more time with you. That’s the cafe over there.”

David followed Jason across the street, feeling for the first time since leaving home that for better or worse, he was where he was meant to be. It was time for new beginnings.

May 30, 2021 20:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.