Hit & Run

Submitted into Contest #76 in response to: Write a story told exclusively through dialogue.... view prompt

2 comments

Teens & Young Adult High School Drama

You know, I love digging holes...oh, and making mounds...yeah, okay I know how random and creepy that was, but hear me out a bit will yeh. And no I am not a gravedigger nor do I plan to be. But I was interested in being an archaeologist for a bit when I was a kid, along with a bunch of other things lol. The reason for it at first was probably while I was digging holes with my next door neighbor in hopes of finding a fossil that belonged to a dinosaur, which was honestly impossible from the start, we actually did find treasure. That being a gold tooth, gross right, which belonged to my next door neighbor’s father which he lost after getting hit in the face with a frying pan by his wife after she found out about his supposed affair and well yep. I honestly don’t know how it ended up in the ground. Just a theory but it’s most likely cause a squirrel saw it and buried it, because just a couple of feet away from the discovery, right under a tree, I saw a squirrel staring at me. It looked me dead in the eye and looked like it was going to kill me. And from then on I loved to dig holes and was absolutely terrified of squirrels.

My love for digging holes and making mounds only grew even more after baseball came into my life. Why? Well that would be because of the pitcher’s mound. I might be biased towards this as a former pitcher and all, but it’s probably the most important position in the game itself. Not to mention that the game is practically centered around the pitcher and they basically control the outcome of the game in itself. The mound was my throne, the glove was my shield, and the ball was my sword. I only ever felt truly alive when I was standing on the mound. When I dug my foot and stood my ground. Leveled and made my small mounds. Tall and proud. I was the king and it was my duty to lead us, my team, all towards victory. Towards a happy ending. It was my kingdom. My mound and a pitcher’s reign. It was all mines...or at least, it once was... 

Remember how I said I loved digging holes? Well, I was often told, “You know Eun, one day your gonna end up digging your own grave because of that mouth of yours.” Obviously, I didn’t give it a second thought cause it was nothing but another nagging remark from mother dear—ahem, I mean Liam who just loves to act like my second mother. I mean what’s the worst that could happen? Right, I mean a couple punches and a slap or two here and there isn’t really gonna put me in my grave early? Li’s just far too overprotective. I know what I’m doing...for the most part. I’m not like Logan who doesn’t think things through. Well, kind of. Besides, it’s not like I will ever come face to face with a life and death situation cause of the words that come out of my mouth...Sigh. Just a word of advice, never and I mean never say things that might just jinx yourself. Cause karma’s a beep and I really should have listened to Liam’s warning. Cause then I wouldn’t have ended up in this situation that I’m currently stuck in.

“Well now. What do we have here?” 

Shit.

“A Haydian sneaking off with his tail between his legs after getting his ass beat in a little bat and ball.” 

Bloody hell. 

“Look, I’ve got a party to catch in a few so let’s make this quick. Can you keep a secret?” 

Damn it all! Just how in God’s name did I end up in this mess?! Oh, right. Cause of my stupid smartass mouth. Way to go genius. Damn it! I just feel like crawling into a hole right now and burying myself alive if it would get me out of this mess. How’d I even end up here in the first place? Well, it all started approximately 30 minutes ago when our baseball team was losing and terribly at that... 

“This is really bad!”

“I can’t even look anymore.” 

“Ben, you know I love you, but desperate times call for desperate measures.” 

“What—”

“Go on and act like you’re having a seizure.”

“...Have you lost your goddamn mind!?”

“I’m about to! If your seizure can’t come in a time like this then at least act like you're choking on a popcorn!” 

“Women! I haven’t been able to even swallow my own spit for the last 2 and a half hours and you’re talking about me eating popcorn!”

“Can you lovebirds do this after we lose?” 

“We ain’t losing!...right?”

“Honey do you see the scoreboard?”

“It’s a lie! Tell me it’s a lie!”

“Are you sure they’re not doping?” 

“Want me to call the cops just in case?”

“Won’t matter cause they’ll just take the score that came before the cops arrived and it’s still a win, win for them.”

“Plus they’d just mock us even further than—”

“Come say that to my face bitch!”

“That’s it. Imma throw hands at those plastic barbies!”

“Oh for crying out loud! Jayda! Babe! Don’t go making things worse for our boys—Hey! You did not just call my girl a slut!”

“Things are really getting out of hand here.”

“You can say that again.”

“Things are really—”

“I heard you the first time Mark!”

“Oh no.”

“Shit.” Things were definitely turning for the worst. You know, even amidst all the chaos of the crowds gathered here, how everything is moving so fast that one can’t even comprehend what’s happening, to me, it just felt like time was moving ever so slowly. McKinley’s pitcher throws the final ball, our pitcher misses it and is struck out, the game ending with our team facing a humiliating defeat, the opposing team cheering and our side just trying to leave with our heads down with the little dignity we have left. I looked towards our team’s dugout and...God it just hurt to see the looks on their faces. Logan looked like he was going to cry and Liam had a passive face, but I could tell that he was just barely holding it all in. I let out a deep sigh. It felt as if I was holding my breath for the entire game and just now realized that I needed to breath. 

“Guess I’ll be comforting two people tonight instead of one.” I said under my breath. 

The field started to slowly clear with the crowd heading off in different directions. I told the others that I was gonna go wait for Liam and Logan out back in the parking lot and that we should all meet at Charlie’s to destress with what just happened here tonight at the game and all. They agreed and I started to make my way towards the parking lot when all of a sudden I remembered something that occurred during the game. McKinley’s baseball team’s Captain and Ace, Spencer Hoffman, hit a home run during the game and the ball flew right past the opposing team’s bleachers. God’s just too cruel sometimes. It’s absolutely unfair that the guy has two of the most sought positions and that he actually deserves them cause his skills are just that crazy good. Ugh just thinking about it pisses me off.

Anyway off topic but they couldn’t find the ball cause of the amount of people. Time was running out so they used a new ball and our school's ball was somewhere behind the bleachers and I wanted to help out our sport’s team volunteers who are cleaning up after the game in any way I can. Not to mention the fact that it’s our baseball team’s precious equipment so even more of a reason it needs to be found and rightfully returned to the equipment room. Get the ball, give it to one of the baseball team managers, and then head on towards the parking lot to go to Charlie’s to get smashed with fries and lemonade. Ahh lemons. Sweet, sweet lem—oh I mean bitter. Nothing makes a more bitter ending than drowning oneself in lemonade and Coca Cola, the kiddie version of beer, and it still makes Lo hyper as hell. That’s how this story was supposed to end. Little did I know the night was yet to be over and that McKinley and Hayden’s intense rivalry was just getting started...

Dear God. If you’re reading this then the only thing I would like to say is why. WHY must you test me and put me through these ridiculous trials in this already pitiful life of mines!? Are you really trying to make me go throw myself in a hole right now!? Is that it!? Cause I really will—that is, if I make it out alive from the situation I’m currently in and that being pinned against a wall by none other than mister 2 in 1 Spencer Hoffman. Great. I think it’s similar to that...what was that word again? That Japanese word when someone wall slams you against a wall? Gosh Em that weeaboo always says it and makes me do it with the boys for her own satisfact—oh right! A kabedon. Yep that’s it. That’s what I’m currently facing against my will. Pff if Em was here she’d be eating this up and gushing all kinds of fluids. Ew. Anywho...I went looking for the ball and lucky me I found it after a couple of minutes and just as I was about to pick it up, I stumbled upon an intense, and boy do I mean intense, make out session between none other than Spencer Hoffman and...Allison Moore!...Yep just walk away Eun. Sneak quickly away. Pretend you saw nothing. Nothing at all— “Clink! Damn nabbit!” I just hit my foot against a Coke can and I’m sure the two of them heard it. Plus cause I also cursed like an old person. 

“What was that?!”

“Shit.”

“Is someone else here?” Allison squeaked and I heard the rusinling sound of the two of them trying to fix themselves up. Right, since they’re distracted I still have a chance to—  

“Hey, you bastard. Where the hell do you think you’re going?”

“Haa.” I sighed. I spoke too soon. Might as well get it over with. 

“Um, hi there. Sorry to disturb you two. Was just uh looking for this baseball over here and well I found it now. Haha. So, I’ll let you two carry on now and I’ll just get going—”

“Eun? Is that you?” Allison questioned. How the hell did she know?!

“Um yeah. Hey there. Anyway I’ll go now—”

“Eun? Who the hell’s that?” Spencer snapped. Wow was he rude. 

“Oh he’s from my school and friends with Logan.”

“...Logan Duncan? The captain of that shitty team whose ass we just beat?” What the absolute hell! Our team is not shitty you stuck up piece of—  

“It was just a rough night for the boys is all. Anyway...um Eun can you please not tell anyone that we were, you know…” she waved her hand uncertainly. 

“Of course! Didn’t see a thing. Just getting the ball here.”

“Really? That’s great. Thanks.”

“No worries. Haha.” I laughed nervously. Is it my fault that this entire situation was awkward? Not to mention the fact I was getting death glares from a certain someone. 

“Babe why don’t you go on ahead to the party. I wanna stay here a bit and talk with…”

“Ji-Eun. Ji-Eun Soo.”

“Right. It’ll be real quick.”

“Actually I got to…” I trailed off and slowly started to back away. 

“I’m sure you could spare a few minutes.”

“I really don't think I—”

“Okay! I’ll see you soon babe.” Allison said and the two of them kissed again and I just looked away. 

“Bye Eun.” She said rather chirpily and walked past me. 

“Um. Bye.” Great now it was just the two of us and boy was it awkward as hell. His eyes looked like it could kill. I needed to get out of here fast. 

“Um...nice meeting you. Great game by the way. See you around—” I rambled and spun around to head back when all of a sudden he grabbed my hand and jerked me back with sudden force and slammed me against the wall. It was all so sudden that I had the wind knocked right out of me. 

“What the bloody hell!?” 

“Right back at you. All I see is a little rat who just loves sneaking around and putting his nose where he shouldn’t be.”

“Dude. I already said I was looking for the damn ball.”

“That’s a bullshit excuse and you know it.” He spat back. He was really getting on my nerves at this point. But I do have to agree. It’s a pretty dumb excuse. And thus this is how I ended up in this awkward position. Why must I have terrible luck?      

  “Look, I already said I won’t say anything. It’s none of my business.” It honestly isn’t and I don’t give a shit about who these two are sleeping around with anyway. But I kind of get why he’s still being cautious. The coaches know their boys are dating and sleeping around and they can honestly do whatever they hell they want as long as it doesn’t go against the school rules or affect the game. But there’s this unspoken rule about how both schools are sworn rivals and all and how dating between either of the schools is just a no, no. So, it’s not surprising why Spencer would be on edge. There’s a lot he’s carrying with scouts from top universities, always watching him, has to maintain his image of the perfect team captain to lead his team, and also that he's the son of Thomas Hoffman who’s father’s a pro and played in the major leagues. So he can’t be a disappointment in his eyes. I get that he’s always in the stress zone, but that doesn’t mean he has to let some steam off by being a jerk. 

“I agree. It’s not your business.”

“Then—”

“Doesn’t mean I trust a little Haydian rat who’s just sneaking around with his tail between his legs after getting his ass beat in a little bat and ball.” He spoke with so much venom and took a step closer to me. 

“Are you insane—”

“So, look. I’ve got a party to catch in a few so let’s make this quick—”” I glared at him and gripped the ball in my right hand so hard that I thought I was going to it. My hand or the ball that is. 

“Can you keep a secret?” It wasn’t a question. It was an order and the pressure he was giving off was truly that of a Captain. I’ve experienced this feeling before. It was similar to that Liam gave off when he was talking to the team not as a friend, but as their Captain, but this just felt much worse...You know, I never liked being intimidated or told what to do. Also, I’m not great at keeping secrets, but desperate times call for desperate measures. So, I chose the smart thing to do. I stared him dead straight in the eyes. At those green orbs and said in a calm clear voice,

“No.”          

January 16, 2021 04:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Daryl Oliver
14:50 Jan 21, 2021

I need a follow-up to this story, I want to know what happens. At times it was a little difficult to follow, but as one with attention problems, I can completely see the way the dialogue is made by the character. Enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
April Summers
04:14 Jan 16, 2021

Hey guys. Happy (LATE) New Year and cheers to 2021! I hope you guys are all safe and well. I've recently had a terrible writer’s block and haven’t been able to do any writing whatsoever since my last post. It’s been especially difficult with everything that’s been going on since last year. This piece is once again not entirely finished and definitely not perfect, not to mention it’s a bit corny lol, but it really did help me get back into writing again and for that I’m grateful. Now, with that said, I kinda didn’t really follow the prompt of...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.