Twenty Thousand Leagues In The Dark

Submitted into Contest #58 in response to: Write a story where the power goes out on a spaceship or submarine.... view prompt

4 comments

Adventure

[Title is inspired by the title of Jules Verne's, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea. Also please forgive my lack of proper understanding of submarines and all things underwater.]

“Captain, we have reached our proper depth.” Janie turned to look over her shoulder and met the eyes of Captain Lora.

         Captain Lora, the captain of the submarine dubbed the name Beluga, due to its whale-like resemblance, nodded. “Very good. Let me just get us settled and then we can begin making records.”

         Janie nodded and began gathering the gear they would need. In a moment, they would be stopped and they could take the time to properly study everything they encountered in the great depth of the ocean.

         Lora and Janie were the only ones in the submarine, due in part to their hope to see the mysterious creature found in these very waters, but also because they found that they worked better with just the two of them. Janie pulled out on of the notepads she had brought and opened it up. She made a note on the first empty page she found.

         Day 12: We have been in the submarine for twelve days and have reached the depth known to hold the unknown creature. So far, we had seen no sign of this mysterious beast, but we will begin our search today.

         Life on a submarine is not all that different from life on land. We have food and the necessary tools to prepare it, plus we have a bathroom and all the comforts found on land, a bed, chairs, tables. But I do find that even though our submarine is quite large, it is hard knowing that I can’t just get out any time I want to. The thought makes me kind of claustrophobic, but I try not to dwell on it often. This is such a great opportunity, and one that not many people get to claim as their own.

         “All right, everything is set,” Lora said, and stood. Then she turned and walked past Janie. “You can begin without me. I need to use the restroom.”

         Janie nodded and finished her log for the day. Just as she was putting away her notebook, the power went out. The lights flickered a moment before they too went out. Janie stood and walked around her hands extended in front of her, and felt around for a lantern. She found one and turned it on. “Lora?!”

         She rushed over the captain seat and sat down. She pressed a few buttons, but because the power was out, nothing worked. She looked out the window and shuddered, without the submarine’s front lights, the ocean looked so dark and menacing.

         She heard footsteps behind her and then saw Lora’s lantern turn on. “I tried to get it working again but I am not a knowledgeable about this as you are.”

         She stood and allowed Lora to take the seat she just vacated. Lora sat down and began trying to bring power back to the submarine.

         Janie sat down also and watched her. “Have you ever dealt with a power outage before, Captain?”

         Lora answered without looking up. “At home on land? Yes. On a submarine under water? No. And from the other captains I have met, I don’t believe that they have dealt with this problem either.”

         Janie shivered, that wasn’t exactly comforting when they were on a submarine, deep in the ocean. “Do you, do you think the power will return soon?”

         Lora shrugged and pressed another button. Nothing happened. “I don’t know. I have never seen this happen before and it worries me a little.” She made her tone a bit more lighthearted and added, “But hey, you know what. After all this, when we return to land, we will have quite the story to tell.”

         Janie tried to smile, but it was only the slightest quirking of one lip. “I bet it would.”

         They both lapsed into silence, each thinking of different things. Lora was thinking about ways she could get the power to return, but Janie was worrying about it not returning.

         What if they got stuck down here with no power, and they were far too deep to swim out and survive. Without power, they come not send for help and even if help came, they would be too late.

         “Janie,” Lora said, still not averting her eyes from her task, “stop worrying. We’ll be fine.”

         Janie nodded. Lora had the uncanny ability of knowing when Janie was nervous or worried, and Janie was the same way with Lora. That was why they made such a great team.

         Lora stood and turned from her work. “I can’t get the power to return. We just have to wait for the power to return on its own.” She turned and looked into the underwater glass meant for seeing the ocean life. “Janie, come quick. Look.”

         Janie stood and rushed over, expecting Lora to be looking at a shark or some other similar creature. Lora moved over to allow her access to the glass. Janie looked. “It’s the…”

         “Girls, where are you?”

         Janie and Lora both looked up as Janie’s mom entered the room. Both of them stood up from the makeshift submarine they had made from cardboard and coach cushions. “Yes, mom. We’re over here.”

         Janie’s mom walked in and smiled at them. “Oh, good I found you. Lora, your mom is here.”

         Lora stepped out of their ‘submarine’ and looked around. “She’s here? Now?”

         Janie’s mom nodded. “She’s waiting for you in the car. You’ve got to be quick. It looks like a storm is on the verge of starting.”

         Janie and Lora both looked out and noticed the thunderclouds coming their way. They looked back at each other in unison and gasped. “Do you think the power will go out?” Janie asked.

         Janie’s mom looked out too. “I don’t know, but it is possible. Though I hope it does not.”

         Lora turned and smiled secretively at Janie. “Well, if it does, at least we won’t be in a submarine.”

         Janie nodded and smiled as well. “Yes, that sure is a good thing.”

         Lora gave her a hug and then began walking to the front door. She paused. “Hey, can we be spies next time?”

         Janie smiled and nodded. “Sure, Captain.”





September 09, 2020 00:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Keerththan 😀
10:26 Sep 14, 2020

Wow!!! That was very creative. The ending was really great. I loved this story. Keep writing. Would you mind reading my new story? Thanks.

Reply

Trinity Womack
13:47 Sep 14, 2020

Thank you so much. And I would be happy to read your story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Molly Leasure
19:40 Sep 13, 2020

Very cute ending! The incoming storm was a nice touch for leading into the last few lines of dialogue. I think the lack of information on submarines fits the story perfectly, since it's meant to be from two children's point of view. Overall, an enjoyable story!

Reply

Trinity Womack
22:24 Sep 13, 2020

Thank you so much, Molly.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.