0 comments

Fiction Contemporary

MEMORIES

She  was sitting in her garden looking at the gathering clouds on the horizon which were moving closer overhead. The sun light was slowly getting dim and finally   the sun was totally covered. Having completed seven decades of life she had seen many a weather changes., spring, summer rains and winter. Nothing fascinated her more than the rainy season although all, were welcome. She now  resided  at the foothills of the Himalayas opposite a reserve forest of trees with thick leaves famous for  “hearing the rain before you see it”, she never got tired of the rainy season which lasted a long time in the valley.

           The overcast sky started shedding first small droplets, a few fell on her head so she called the house help to push the chair under the awning. Soon she saw the drops collecting and flowing in small stream towards the main gate. Her gaze was riveted on the water stream which  carried a small piece of paper with an ant riding on it, her vision was transfixed on it till it disappeared under the gate. Memory of her childhood came rushing from the depth of her mind.

As soon as the rain would start old newspapers or other discarded papers were pulled out to make paper boats. The three children rushed downstairs from their first floor house to the new the temporary muddy river. The paper boats were floated in  the muddy waters of the rain gurgling on the roadside carrying at least three boats on one side and a few more on the far side of the road. Rushing past a few more houses, bobbing up and down they would end at the rainwater outlet and go down as if on a water fall, to disappear in the depths of the drain, only god knew where. Two other boats belonged to her siblings, one elder sister and a brother. The brother being the favorite and the eldest always got to slide his boat first so it was always in the lead. The boats of the sisters dare not lead or a beating or teasing was in the offing. The far side of the road was reserved by the neighbors and a boat race ensued. No need to even guess who won. Sometimes a coin was loaded on the boat to see what happened. The coin was supposed to be the treasure to be carried to far off lands by the boat. If the boat did not sink, she being the youngest had to run to retrieve it before the boat reached the waterfall. When the rain stopped only then they would climb the steps to their house soaked to the skin to face  a severe scolding by the mother. Those were the days when there was no fear of infection by the dirty water or the fear of falling sick by catching cold. Even if one did there was always the visit of the family doctor. No more can you see children playing in the rain water. They have more important activities like, watching the TV or else their mobile phones which are available to them at a young age.

Was she was sounding like an old woman who has nothing better to do than reminiscence on her past and criticize the present generation. After a while she saw a small  crying girl being literally dragged by her mother to reach home as soon as possible avoid being drenched in the rain. So rushed in another memory. A two year old baby girl with a profusion of curly hair spreading on her forehead trying to open the holes of the mesh door which opened towards the courtyard. The dried paint had blocked the mesh at a number of places. She had a pin in her hand to pierce the holes open. Along with that action some tears were flowing down her cheeks and as she had just learnt to talk, lisping the words were coming out “ Why do you hit me, why don’t you love me?.” The parents were unable to understand her thoughts , her mother tried to hug her and ask her who was hitting her? But unable to say more she kept on repeating the same sentence. This happened  now and then. Her father thought that it must be a memory from her last birth, as we Indians believe in reincarnation. So they tried to take the only way out, that of trying to make her forget it. But did they really? Because she still remembers it and her whole life she had yearned for love.

The baby girl was once given a milk sweet prepared by a local sweet shop . She loved it so much that every night she would not sleep until she had consumed quite a few of them. One night the sweets were over and oh what a ruckus ensued, she cried , rolled on the ground and any amount of scolding and shouting could not pacify her. Her father, realizing that if there was to be peace in the house, so everyone could sleep , he proceeded to the residence of the sweetmeat owner, got him to open the shop and bought the sweets for her. But that was not the end , she wanted all of it and was not prepared to share with anyone. Her mother quietly hid half of it and then gave her the packet. Till the present day she still loved the same sweet.

Just then the play school time was over and the old woman saw two girls and a boy having a fist fight on the road side. In that skirmish she saw her flashback. Playing in the school garden , during the short break another girl and a boy  were forcing her to part with some flowers , which she had picked from a hedge. She pushed the girl away, the boy pounced on her and tried to snatch them from her. The fighter child that she was, having had to face a fierce elder brother, she got into the fighting mode and managed to defeat both with some choicest language. The result “ We will complain to the Principal” This was like a bucket of cold water on her head. Temper cooled down, and she started thinking of finding  a way out. She knew that her parents would never support her but in fact she would get further punishment from them. After a few minutes came the solution. She walked into the Principals office , fearless to face the dragon on her own. She told the Principal that she was sorry she had used some foul language for her classmates, further she would not repeat it. Forgiven ,she took the wind  out of their sails.

The best memory that raised its head was that of her admission to school. Both her siblings, elder brother and sister had been admitted to one of the best schools in the city which was far away from their residence. So a car and driver were made available for their commuting to and from the school. Every morning she saw them getting in the car to go to school. Wondering what fun they were having in school and the travel itself was probably enjoyable. So started another tantrum, ”I also want to go to school”. No matter what goodies she was offered she insisted that school was the place for her , although she was only three years old. The driver taking pity on her procured the admission form for her and requested her father to fill up and sign. Holding on to the chauffer’s finger she proudly proceeded to the school. Unlike her siblings there was no crying or shouting to go home. One day the principal wanted to meet the tiny tots, the teacher chose the cutest and smartest baby and accompanied her to the head’s office. She had been trained to wish the principal which she did with full confidence. The principal asked her which class she was in, pat came the reply “Lover KG”. All those present burst out laughing, totally confused she did not know what they were laughing at. Holding on to the chocolates given by the Principal she hid under the chair. When asked to recite a poem she did it from her hiding place and the poetry was about the pussy cat who had gone to see the queen and had frightened a little mouse under the chair.

She shared the whole incident with her siblings on the way home from school. For a number of years she was continuously teased even when  she started understanding the meaning of her answer.

There is such a strong bond with the past that the memories pop up at the slightest similarity in the present and maybe having being oft repeated are unforgettable. The link remains forever.

July 12, 2021 16:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.