The Truth Seeking Snake and The Deceiving Hare

Submitted into Contest #88 in response to: Write a cautionary fable about someone who always lies.... view prompt

2 comments

Coming of Age Fiction Funny

We don't know if any animal can speak or clearly communicate with each other, but one thing I know is that fables can bring our community together. At times, fables don't necessarily have to be all animals, but what's more fun than that and for this story it won't be any different from others.

On a cotton field, below in the burrowing dry dirt, lived a large family of hares. And one hare in particular stood out from the crowd. Hares are known to be scared of the outside world, especially of humans, but this hare, was fearless. This hare not only stood confidently in front of humans, he also was brave enough to lie about this one particular thing- the treasure under a hidden well, which of course coded a trap for the predators that dote on him.

And once they fell into the trap they can never get back out to get revenge.

Well the rumor spread around the hare community, who thought about trying this technique, to which the lying hare said, "No worries. Just keep saying it differently for who you'll say it to next."

Well on this particular day, an infamous garden snake who was known for having a bloodlust for the lying deceiving hare, investigated about this issue which had interestingly plagued humans as well as his own kind among other predators alike.

He decided to follow along with the hare and tried to think of a clever plan to sabotage the hare.

And for that, he decided to bite his bait.

One day, when the lying hare went about his business, he was halted by a towering shadow waving their long curvy figure. The hare was unnerved to look above his head and just as he did, he saw what he had been expecting. The truth seeking snake hovered above him with immense pride. He plotted a way to use this against him as well.

"Why hello there, Snake," The hare went, "His therse Hussey Bussey," The snake taunted him as he knew that the hares have a weakness of being regarded as something other than hare. Especially this one, he believed will fall for it.

Instead he was greeted by a fake and terrible smile. "Why snake why don't I show you a place where you can just get more food from?" He griped.

"Ooos Sssreally? Wellss takes mis tos yous placesss." The snake wanted the hare to bait him over so he can end this once and for all.

The Hare brought him over to a clearing path, the leaves brushed aside and the Snake knew that there was a pit where the Hare wanted him to stand.

"Here stand right over there," He pointed but he didn't move as all he did was creepily wrap his body around the Hare trapping him into another well... soon to be his stomach.

"Well snake why didn't you stand there when I say so?" The Hare continued to which the snake laughed a bit, unknowingly loosening his tight grip that he had on the Hare and the Hare planned something with this in mind.

"You keep saying different lies to different predators of yours, that you didn't think a predator who will prey on smart-bunnies like yourself will get caught in their own demise."

"That's right I failed," The Hare solemnly said and pouted to make sure that the snake would loosen up more to which he did and the bunny immediately hopped out, over the trap, and the snake followed in pursuit, only to fall into the trap he thought he would escape from.

"Well you may have watched me again and again, doing the same things upon others, but you yet again had fallen in," He smirked to which the snake grits his jaws shut.

"And thanks for the advice, as I'll be having new ideas coming up with how to lie more to predators and possibly trap others as well Toodolloo!"

The Hare hopped away while the snake curled themselves in the dirt, unable to escape for now, but soon the snake discovered that he could shape the dirt around to trench out a circular ramp, and with that construction in mind he was able to get out.

"Once days hussey bussey. Jusss once days I'llss catchess yous ins mysss mouse [mouth]."

And with that the snake went on their own way trying to figure out how to trap a smart lying Hare.

And that day came again, he trapped the lying Hare and decided to finish his job right then and there.

"Tis problemss withs usthers inclussing myselss is thatss wessus hessitated with a bunnyss likess a yous. Whenss a wessus shoulds has trappessd yous withousss a thoughssst."

The snake bobbed his way through the grassland, pasted by scared hares and other creatures who wanted nothing to do with this predator. He was happy about learning his lesson with this Hare in particular. He knows now that taking action sooner on liars is much better than waiting things to play out. Especially if they are unpredictable and know for certain what ground they can play to lure anybody in.

This Hare may have said a lie to all predators who have fallen in the same trap and that's what a lie does. If you keep saying it, even differently, you are bound to confront someone who knows the truth about your deceit. Hence the snake represents that antagonist and the hare is the protagonist. The truth will put a stop to manipulative means and the consequences of lying about things later may even be worse compared to speaking the truth sooner. The sooner the Hare realized that he can't keep trapping predators in the same fashion, the sooner he would have made better survival choices to evade danger and be smarter about who he played against.

It's a complicated issue to say the least but basically don't lie or continue to lie towards people who know the truth, even if you can get them again, still don't lie. Another is to make sure that when you do confront a liar about the truth to make sure that you won't put your guard down and weaken just because they'll probably use this technique to get away with lying again. And third of all, make sure that liars are held accountable and this is represented when the snake puts an end to the Hare's lying- again doesn't need to be of that extreme but you get the picture.

April 10, 2021 01:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Eric Hyzer
15:36 Apr 14, 2021

I enjoyed reading your story.

Reply

Pamela Kalidasan
19:43 Apr 15, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.